The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

If Celtic win 1-0 and we win 5-0 we win the league on goals scored. If that happens I'll buy Stan Petrov (the bloke on here, not the real one) a brain.

If you win the league on goal difference I will buy your season book next year icon_biggrin.gif

tbh it should be like that, i wont complain if we win the league that way but GD is rubbish, both teams haven't even paid any attention to it all season and now they are trying to get as much goals as possible.

Play-offs should be 1st, if not that then head to head

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

they wouldn't but normally it would be the best way to decide it dont you think?

Nah. Goal difference is a legitimate way to settle it. I don't really believe that a whole league season should be discarded for one game, but it's good of you to offer icon_wink.gif

Thursday night will be a massive night now. Can't wait myself to be honest. Just booked my ticket for the beam back at Celtic Park, Which should be a great night there. With any luck, Celtic win and we get to see the trophy. icon_biggrin.gif

Last day it goes to then. Little hope, but it's better than nothing, I guess. The players tonight at least looked like they won't give it up without a fight.

Yes, it's disappointing, yes, mistakes have inevitably been made, but the fact we've taken them so close compared to the last two seasons, the fact we've done so well in Europe and in the cups, the fact we've got more to look forward to next year than not... well... I think a dose of cool perspective is needed from some on here and on FF.

There have been too many positives this year to let them be drowned out completely by the wave of negatives in the last week. People "losing faith" in Smith at this point need to get a handle back on the reality of the situation and recall where this club was 18 months ago. Short memories indeed.

A couple of real quality signings in the close season, the retention hopefully of our best players, a good break and refocus and we'll be fighting fit for another crack at it next year.

• SI Staff

That was dreadful. Hoof Hoof Hoof. They were not interested and were there for the taking. All they did was hoof the ball forward as well. If we had put our foot on the ball and played some football then we could have won that game easily by more goals.

But we played right into their hands and just hoofed the ball forward and most of the time it came right back. The few times we did play some football we created some good chances or scored a goal.

There is no way Dundee Utd are going to get anything against Celtic. Especially not after they were "cheated" a couple of weeks ago.

Suppose by the classic definition of football (scoring more goals than your opponent), then yeah, GD is a legitimate way of doing it.

Nowadays though, teams play more defensively, score one then settle down for the 3 points (I'll resist). Also, the whole season won't be discarded for one game, as the teams will have still had to have done well over the season to get to the position where the teams are level on points after the last game.

Will never happen though, unless it's played behind closed doors in an unknown location.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

they wouldn't but normally it would be the best way to decide it dont you think?

Nah. Goal difference is a legitimate way to settle it. I don't really believe that a whole league season should be discarded for one game, but it's good of you to offer icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe but you think of the amount of games were teams just settle for a 1-0 rather than going for it, then all of a sudden they are going all out for goals

No bother, i feel on current form we would take you just now icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

There have been too many positives this year to let them be drowned out completely by the wave of negatives in the last week. People "losing faith" in Smith at this point need to get a handle back on the reality of the situation and recall where this club was 18 months ago. Short memories indeed.

Nothing to do with short memories so don't get smart. Walter took us to within touching distance of the title - but it was also Walter that cost us that title, you'd have to be blind not to see that. Can't be arsed with all this eighteen months ago crap, you'd think we were in the First Division or something the way people go on or Celtic were European Champions rather just a very ordinary side.

Managers get praised when they get it right, you can't tell me that the recent form of this Rangers side has been anywhere near acceptable. People who accept being losers, tend to end up being losers. And 2nd place - particularly as the title was all but wrapped - is simply not good enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

Nah. Goal difference is a legitimate way to settle it. I don't really believe that a whole league season should be discarded for one game, but it's good of you to offer icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe but you think of the amount of games were teams just settle for a 1-0 rather than going for it, then all of a sudden they are going all out for goals

No bother, i feel on current form we would take you just now icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then considering all the whining that went on over a season extension, when would they actually play a play-off? Start of next season?

Originally posted by Ter:

There is no way Dundee Utd are going to get anything against Celtic. Especially not after they were "cheated" a couple of weeks ago.

Don't forget Boruc's 'mate' in goal, Will "O'Flood", Noel Hunt and the Celtic loanee all playing their part. I'm not even going to bother getting my hopes up.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Don't forget Boruc's 'mate' in goal, Will "O'Flood", Noel Hunt and the Celtic loanee all playing their part. I'm not even going to bother getting my hopes up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God and i thought Celtic fans were bad. icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
Nowadays though, teams play more defensively, score one then settle down for the 3 points (I'll resist). Also, the whole season won't be discarded for one game, as the teams will have still had to have done well over the season to get to the position where the teams are level on points after the last game.

We were not like that earlier in the season (in the SPL anyway). We beat Falkirk 7-2 with a few goals in the later stages. Might have been a bit of a freak result but that's hardly defensive. Although on the other hand Falkirk aren't the sort of side to pile loads of players behind the ball and hope for the best. Like we do in Europe icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Don't forget Boruc's 'mate' in goal, Will "O'Flood", Noel Hunt and the Celtic loanee all playing their part. I'm not even going to bother getting my hopes up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God and i thought Celtic fans were bad. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are, but Craig Levein is worse.

you still have the Jimmy's

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Surely the Celtic loanee can't play?

Yes he can play if Dundee United want him to. No clause in the loan deal. Doubt United will play him though in this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure? I thought league rules would prevent that. Seems crazy that a player could potentially play against his own club in a potential league decider, what if he scored an OG that won the game, or even funnier scored the winner against his actual club? It can't be right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

Yes he can play if Dundee United want him to. No clause in the loan deal. Doubt United will play him though in this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure? I thought league rules would prevent that. Seems crazy that a player could potentially play against his own club in a potential league decider, what if he scored an OG that won the game, or even funnier scored the winner against his actual club? It can't be right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah am sure. it was reported in oej of the papers the other day. He can play against Celtic if United so wish to play him. But i cannot see United playing him. Not against The league rules, He is on loan. All legal and above board. Crazy i know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

You sure? I thought league rules would prevent that. Seems crazy that a player could potentially play against his own club in a potential league decider, what if he scored an OG that won the game, or even funnier scored the winner against his actual club? It can't be right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He came on as a sub in the 0-0 game at parkhead and worked hard to keep us from scoring.

No doubt he'd give it 100% if he was playing on thursday.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

By my reckoning, if Celtic win 6-5 and we win 5-0, it will be a play off icon_wink.gif

mon that happening icon_biggrin.gif

although it'd probably go to head to head icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure head to head is not part of the SPL rules, would look it up if it seemed even remotely possible.

he was in the same situation last year in the cup final but we had it written into his contract that he couldn't

he can play but common sense says he shouldn't

• SI Staff
I'm pretty sure head to head is not part of the SPL rules, would look it up if it seemed even remotely possible.

It's not. You can find the rules on the SPL website in their free downloadable handbook icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Does head to head go down to goals scored etc?

Cos aren't we level on head to head, considering your two wins at Ibrox and our two at Parkhead? Or I am missing something?

if it was in the rules then yes Rangers would win, thank god its not

Wow, when Celtic fans question a referee's integrity with vast amounts of evidence its utterly appalling, but we have people in here implying Dundee United and several players in particular would actually throw the game because they lost to Rangers recently.

Think highly of yourselves, dont you?

They are professionals, just like Macdonald was against Celtic 2005

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Wow, when Celtic fans question a referee's integrity with vast amounts of evidence its utterly appalling, but we have people in here implying Dundee United and several players in particular would actually throw the game because they lost to Rangers recently.

Agreed. I don't see United throwing the game at all. They are still chasing 4th place am sure which in turn equals extra cash for them.

Nothing to do with short memories so don't get smart. Walter took us to within touching distance of the title - but it was also Walter that cost us that title, you'd have to be blind not to see that. Can't be arsed with all this eighteen months ago crap, you'd think we were in the First Division or something the way people go on or Celtic were European Champions rather just a very ordinary side.

Managers get praised when they get it right, you can't tell me that the recent form of this Rangers side has been anywhere near acceptable. People who accept being losers, tend to end up being losers. And 2nd place - particularly as the title was all but wrapped - is simply not good enough.

I am certainly not accepting or happy with losing this league. It's gutting and for sure the management team must take their share of the blame. But I'm not going to partake in this knee-jerk hounding of a guy who has taken us to the brink of four trophies with the players he has at his disposal. Circumstances outwith the manager's control have conspired against us to an extent and the quality is clearly not quite there when you compare it to most areas of the Celtic squad and that was always going to take more than a season to right. He's given us hope this year, next year I'd say he has to deliver.

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

I was clearly being facetious, but no more than the "two Jimmys" comment in your thread a couple of weeks back, to which there was no twattish rant from you then. Shockingly.

Thanks for biting all the same.

was i right in thinking that the St Mirren fans started signing "your just a skinny Eddie Murphy" when Beasley came on icon_biggrin.gif

I also thought i heard them singing, "Where's you trophy now". Yeah there were giving it mad licks tonight.

I've posted my feelings about Walter earlier in the thread - but I won't let my respect and love for the guy blind me to the fact that he does have blind spots in his management and he can be very very frustrating at times. Personally, I think he's done the job he came to do and should now move perhaps into a General Managers role - he's not getting any younger and next season we will need a lot more in terms of creativity and adventure. I just don't think Walter can deliver that.

was i right in thinking that the St Mirren fans started signing "your just a skinny Eddie Murphy" when Beasley came on icon_biggrin.gif

I also thought i heard them singing, "Where's you trophy now". Yeah there were giving it mad licks tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah must be great to gloat over a team that were in the UEFA Cup Final whilst you sit 10th in the SPL in your midden of a stadium. Shows how thick they are.

I also thought i heard them singing, "Where's you trophy now". Yeah there were giving it mad licks tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah must be great to gloat over a team that were in the UEFA Cup Final whilst you sit 10th in the SPL in your midden of a stadium. Shows how thick they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is St.Mirren fans after all. hahaha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

I was clearly being facetious, but no more than the "two Jimmys" comment in your thread a couple of weeks back, to which there was no twattish rant from you then. Shockingly.

Thanks for biting all the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anguish icon_frown.gif

SPL fans are always at it, the amount of times you here "yer gonny win F all".

they were absoloute c**** to McGeady a few months ago

Wasn't it the St.Mirren fans who were giving the Celtic team bus pelters as well not that long ago?

Archived