The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't get to see the game but did Fleck get on before or after Aberdeen scored their second? If it was before then questions have to be asked about our substitutions and our concentration afterwards as I think I can remember us conceding goals after subs a fair few times this season.

Can't remember if it was 1-0 or 2-0 when he came on, but we were definately losing.

Christian Dailly, meanwhile, conceded that the fixture congestion Rangers faced played a key role in the title run-in.

"It's devastating for us really - we've worked so hard," he said.

Did youse feck. Never seen such a pathetic, gutless performance from a team chasing the title as I have from this side in the last few games. Fixture congestion my arse, get off you fat overpaid lazy arses and get fit.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Didn't get to see the game but did Fleck get on before or after Aberdeen scored their second? If it was before then questions have to be asked about our substitutions and our concentration afterwards as I think I can remember us conceding goals after subs a fair few times this season.

Can't remember if it was 1-0 or 2-0 when he came on, but we were definately losing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was just before the second goal when he came on.

I can’t help think that the beginning of the downward spiral was the selling of Alan Hutton, he gave us width which pushed up the midfield and made the 451 into a more attacking 352. It still wasn’t pretty but we were at least creating a decent amount of chances in games.

Would be interesting to see the statistics since Hutton left. It's weird because you wouldn't think a right back would have such an influence but I'm fairly thats been a major factor. That, along with no decent midfield link up to the striker and a striker(s) who simply aren't good enough/too lazy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Christian Dailly, meanwhile, conceded that the fixture congestion Rangers faced played a key role in the title run-in.

Did youse feck. Never seen such a pathetic, gutless performance from a team chasing the title as I have from this side in the last few games. Fixture congestion my arse, get off you fat overpaid lazy arses and get fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's rubbish in my opinion, some of those players have played sixty times this season, in lots of very difficult, physically gruelling games in a short space of time. Despite this you've massively over-achieved in getting to the UEFA Final and coming so close in the league despite having a very average squad. They're not robots.

Originally posted by Utter Utter Loser (Ned):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Christian Dailly, meanwhile, conceded that the fixture congestion Rangers faced played a key role in the title run-in.

Did youse feck. Never seen such a pathetic, gutless performance from a team chasing the title as I have from this side in the last few games. Fixture congestion my arse, get off you fat overpaid lazy arses and get fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's rubbish in my opinion, some of those players have played sixty times this season, in lots of very difficult, physically gruelling games in a short space of time. Despite this you've massively over-achieved in getting to the UEFA Final and coming so close in the league despite having a very average squad. They're not robots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh boo bloody hoo. They get paid VAST sums of money for kicking a ball about a park, it's hardly rocket science. You don't NEED to be motivated when there is much at stake in every game you play, it comes naturally. People who think players are 'tired' need a fecking reality check, they play an hour and a half a day for crying out loud about twice a week and then they do bugger all the rest of the time because they are 'resting'. And even if sure, they had a couple of extra games to play, it's utter nonsense to suggest it would tire.

And fyi most of that team that played last night have NOT played over 60 games except Barry Ankle and Carlos. Oh and Davie Weir - you know the guy who is 39 and still does a power more work than the younger players. You can't count Cousin he just stands there and does bugger all anyway.

Apart from Novo who is insane, footballers, unlike tennis players for instance - who btw somehow seem to manage to play 4-5 hours a day more than twice a week at times - do not run around for a full 90 minutes. Modern footballers are lazy overpaid prima donna's.

I don't have many complaints with the way the season has gone. Given the players we've got, we've done amazingly well. It's a fairly average/below average squad bar a couple of players and I'm very confident that if we spend well in the summer we'll be even better next year meaning we should be able to survive right through the last third of the season instead of imploding like this year.

Thought Novo was a complete idiot for what he did last night. He knew what was at stake and there was no need for stamping on the lads knee. Poor chap could have his career ended.

Cousin again just infuriates me. I can only see him playing because he manages to fire in some absolute bullets towards the goal, but if that's the case then why was Adam also on the field. He's living off some clever lobs that somehow ended up in the net. Too often he tries to be a smart arse and too often he fails.

Ferguson - just what is his role now? He was in midfield, he tried to push up then he ran back to central defence and passed the ball around there. It's one thing wanting to get involved, but quite another when he's running out of his designated position leaving gaps all over the place, and it can't help his team-mates when they look up only to not find him not where he should be. Must make it even worse when he constantly moans at them too.

He's Rangers through and through but he needs to learn to play where he is told, let the other lads do their job and communicate better than he does just now.

I agree with giving Cuellar the armband. Or even Novo. You don't hear Novo complain - he's quite the opposite and that's what we need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Utter Utter Loser (Ned):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

That's rubbish in my opinion, some of those players have played sixty times this season, in lots of very difficult, physically gruelling games in a short space of time. Despite this you've massively over-achieved in getting to the UEFA Final and coming so close in the league despite having a very average squad. They're not robots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh boo bloody hoo. They get paid VAST sums of money for kicking a ball about a park, it's hardly rocket science. You don't NEED to be motivated when there is much at stake in every game you play, it comes naturally. People who think players are 'tired' need a fecking reality check, they play an hour and a half a day for crying out loud about twice a week and then they do bugger all the rest of the time because they are 'resting'. And even if sure, they had a couple of extra games to play, it's utter nonsense to suggest it would tire.

And fyi most of that team that played last night have NOT played over 60 games except Barry Ankle and Carlos. Oh and Davie Weir - you know the guy who is 39 and still does a power more work than the younger players. You can't count Cousin he just stands there and does bugger all anyway.

Apart from Novo who is insane, footballers, unlike tennis players for instance - who btw somehow seem to manage to play 4-5 hours a day more than twice a week at times - do not run around for a full 90 minutes. Modern footballers are lazy overpaid prima donna's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolute b****cks in my opinion. Why do people seem to make a connection between players getting paid a lot and getting tired? Just because they earn a lot of money doesn't mean that they automatically turn into robots who can't possibly suffer from fatigue.

How the hell do you know what it's like to play fifty football matches at the highest level for months on end with a lot of travelling and training in between? Just seems totally illogical to believe that it's all a myth, and footballers don't really get tired, they're in fact all lazy. You speak to anyone who knows someone who became a professional footballer and they'll almost invariably say that the reason that guy made it was because he was totally focussed on working hard to become a football player and didn't care about anything else.

Rangers have had a fantastic season considering the squad they've got available, there's been some magnificent backs to the wall performances in Europe, not pretty to watch but you have to appreciate the hard work and desire they put in. Yet incredibly you're moaning about them and bringing out the most annoying daily mail cliché of them all, 'overpaid prima donnas'.

Lost a massive amount of respect for Peacemaker7.

Agree that Cousin couldn't be bothered last night though.

I guess Davie Weir's appearance will drop off if we get a new defender, but would he make a decent captain? Wouldn't mind Cuellar, just not sure about the language barrier. Nacho's heart is in it for sure, we all know that - if the rest of side showed even half the energy of that wee guy I'd never need to complain - but not sure if tempramentally he is suited to be captain.

It's a pointless argument anyway, as long as Barry is at Ibrox he will be captain. There is one thing Walter is utterly stuck on it is loyality. Sometimes of course that can unstick you, but mostly it's a good and very rare trait.

IF - and it's a big if - Walter decided to give Fleck more run outs and we have De Marcus back next season then the left side is sorted, or push Fleck into a supporting role, drop Barry back beside Thomson, use Furman as much as possible. Get Whittaker at right back where he belongs. We still need a right winger/wide mid and if he's not going to give Boyd a chance we need strikers. It seemed to me that we had loads of them at the start, now we don't have any. Well many.

Be interesting to see who comes in anyway, and I can't wait for these quality players Murray has promised, we know he always delivers icon14.gif

Rangers have had a fantastic season considering the squad they've got available, there's been some magnificent backs to the wall performances in Europe, not pretty to watch but you have to appreciate the hard work and desire they put in. Yet incredibly you're moaning about them and bringing out the most annoying daily mail cliché of them all, 'overpaid prima donnas'.

They've had a fantastic three quarters of a season - and if I want to moan about the team I support, then actually I will. I've been moaning about them for 35 years or more and I think I will continue to do so. Thanks very much though for your concern.

I'd love to see Cuellar as captain or even Thomson at least they both always go out and give 100% and try to drive the team.

Nacho has the heart, nobody can argue that but I don't think he is a captain, he is a good motivator and he does that well but not really a captain in my eyes.

Time has come for Barry to pass on the armband like Amo did but it won't happen.

I'd stick with Boyd next year. We know he can score the goals, he just needs the service. One quality striker, a couple of better midfield players. Davis is good, but for me he's not done enough to warrant keeping him. He had a couple of really good games when he first arrived, after that, he worked hard without doing very much.

McCulloch out, Broadfoot out, Cousin out, Darcheville MAYBE out depending who we get in.

I think you're right about Ferguson. He'll be there until he retires, and captain as well, but perhaps if he is told he must have surgery on that ankle, and it keeps him out for a while, it will give us a good idea on how the team (with new players) perform without him and make it hard for him to fight back into the squad.

McGregor-

Whittaker-Cuellar-Weir-Smith

Novo-Thomson-Furman-Fleck

Naismith-Boyd

I posted this team and it was ignored. Ok so Naismith is crocked, Weir is collecting his pension, but you so need some old heads in the team. I would love to see what Furman can do in the middle and as Caley says, mibbe Barry will go for an op and with a bit of luck he'll need a year to recover icon_wink.gif

And tbh, if you are playing ordinary players like Charlie Adam, then why not give Furman and Fleck their chance - even Stevie Lennon. They can't possibly in any way be worse than Adam/McCulloch/Faye.

• SI Staff

*****y rumours that Boyd has been told to find a new club and that Peter Lovenkrands and Kenny Miller will be joining.

Where is the nearest bridge? icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

GK: McGregor

DR: Broadfoot

DL: Papac

DC: Cuellar

DC: Webster

MC: Ferguson

MC: Thomson

MC: Dailly

ML: Lovenkrands

MR: Whittaker

FC: Miller

That's more like what Walter would like to play icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

*****y rumours that Boyd has been told to find a new club and that Peter Lovenkrands and Kenny Miller will be joining.

Where is the nearest bridge? icon_frown.gif

Boyd to Birmingham then, and rattling in the high 20's every season and proving once again that players we think are duds are actually not that bad icon_frown.gif

Lovenkrands and Miller back is just bizarre. Miller can run all day, but erm.. so can Novo. And Novo can actually score goals. So why have Miller?

Lovenkrands only really did it in a couple of European games and against Celtic a few times. He was billed as the New Laudrup. Aye right!

Then again, we saw when Smith was at Scotland that Miller was a decent player for the national team, so maybe he believes he can make him even better.

All speculation at this point, but they are hardly the quality players we've been waiting for.

• SI Staff

I really can't see what Kenny Miller has to offer that, say, Steven Lennon can't. We've got a few players recently turned or turning 20 that we're going to have to loan out, sell or play. I'm pretty sure if Lennon was at Hibernian and banging in goals then we'd be paying nearly £2m for his services.

they play an hour and a half a day for crying out loud about twice a week and then they do bugger all the rest of the time because they are 'resting'.

This part in particular had me in fits icon_biggrin.gif Nice to see a Rangers fan that obviously has not one ****ing clue how modern football works.

Originally posted by Ter:

I really can't see what Kenny Miller has to offer that, say, Steven Lennon can't. We've got a few players recently turned or turning 20 that we're going to have to loan out, sell or play. I'm pretty sure if Lennon was at Hibernian and banging in goals then we'd be paying nearly £2m for his services.

See this is what I don't understand about our club. I watched our youth team literally rip a really strong Aberdeen reserve side apart - some of those guys like Fleck, Lennon etc are good players and from what I've seen of them are certainly no worse than those we all know are mince. And some of that side are as you say turning 20, you if they aren't good enough at 20, why do we have them at all?

Plus, these kids have played together for a good few years now, they know each other and that has got to be an added bonus. I mean surely Alan Lowing is not any worse than Broadfeet for example. Yet he has no chance of ever playing in our first team. Sometimes I wonder why we even have a youth side.

Is it still the case (or in fact, tell me if what I've been told is ********) that we still have to "pay" for the youth players from Murray Park when they break into the first team?

Sure it was some dodgy thing Murray set up that Rangers would need to pay Murray Park £2m for each player they brought through to the first team.

Something to do with his usual shifting debt around, paying off debt using other debt etc. etc. that he's famous for doing.

• SI Staff

That's still in place as far as I know but it's certainly not £2m.

The reasoning behind it is that the money goes into the youth development fund or something like that to ensure it is used for that purpose.

Would like to say unlcky to you guys as i really thought Rangers had the title bagged a month ago. I don't believe in this too many games crap either. The players should be able to handle the playing load as they are meant to be super fit athletes.

As a Celtic fan i really cannot understand why Walter Smith hasn't been polaying Kris Boyd. His scoring record speaks for itself loud and clear and with Smith always playing Cousin, He just isn't interested at all at Rangers. Plus the fact he likes to either stick the head in other players, get sent off in critical games or use that elbow to try and break other players jaws. I know Boyd doesn't do a lot of tracking back or whatever but he scores goals. Goals is what it's all about at the end of the day.

Should be a good one next season with both teams i feel will strengthed accordingly.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Is it still the case (or in fact, tell me if what I've been told is ********) that we still have to "pay" for the youth players from Murray Park when they break into the first team?

Sure it was some dodgy thing Murray set up that Rangers would need to pay Murray Park £2m for each player they brought through to the first team.

Something to do with his usual shifting debt around, paying off debt using other debt etc. etc. that he's famous for doing.

as far as i understand it, you don't own Murray Park. It's a holding company that owns it and all the youth players so yeah, you have to buy your own youth players icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

as far as i understand it, you don't own Murray Park. It's a holding company that owns it and all the youth players so yeah, you have to buy your own youth players icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jesus didn't know that. What a odd set up.

Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

as far as i understand it, you don't own Murray Park. It's a holding company that owns it and all the youth players so yeah, you have to buy your own youth players icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jesus didn't know that. What a odd set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, its probably a tax dodge.

Similar to Ayr's youth academy (though obviously not due to monstrous debts in our case), whereby the players are registered with the club, but don't belong to them.

Think Rangers signed a kid from our Academy last year and almost all the money went to the Academy and hardly any to the football club.

• SI Staff
Would like to say unlcky to you guys as i really thought Rangers had the title bagged a month ago. I don't believe in this too many games crap either. The players should be able to handle the playing load as they are meant to be super fit athletes.

Pretty sure playing so many games will take it's toll on the players both physically and mentally. Tomorrow we play our 68th and (thankfully) final match of the season. That is just incredible. Even super fit athletes will require recovery time.

It's no longer like it was years ago when playing lots of games wasn't uncommon. The physical demands of the game today are much greater.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Herman Bloom:

Don't you dare let Boyd go to Brum.

How would Boyd compare to Garry O'Connor? From what I've seen GOC has no first touch, no idea for where to run off the ball and is just an archetypal big log to stand up front and put himself about a bit. What does Boyd really have to offer, and what are his weaknesses?

• SI Staff

Boyd is your typical penalty box predator. Give him a sniff and more than likely he'll put it in the back of the net. Left foot, right foot, head, arse. It doesn't matter.

His weaknesses are his work outside the box and he's never going to run rings round players and score a belter. Often gets accused of being lazy and can't play up front on his own.

Bit if it's an out and out goalscorer you are after then you could do a lot worse than Kris Boyd. Sadly I think we're going to get rid of him icon_frown.gif

tbf to the lad he's worked a lot harder the last few times I've seen him - albeit 10 minutes per game at most).

There was a cup tie earlier this year (can't remember which one) and he didn't score but he worked his damn socks off, probably his best team performance I think I've seen from him).

Makes you wonder why Boyd can listen to the coaches and work on his game but Cousin can't.

His weaknesses are his work outside the box and he's never going to run rings round players and score a belter.

still remember that belter he got against Dunfermline in the league cup (I think)? icon_cool.gif Boyd has definitely upped his workrate for me to be honest, he knows the FF fans expect him to be the next Dado but also retain his shooting boots inside the box and the guy has been working on holding the ball up/heading it down - but he is not Dado. His finishing is still pretty much "give him a chance in the box and he will finish it" but unfortunately that's not good enough for certain individuals from a website

they'll all be moaning next year if Boyd is gone and we have Kenny "all I can do is run" Miller upfront. Smith doesn't know what he's getting himself in for if he does this - this is going to have serious consequences for the player and manager I reckon if he goes through with the transfer. Miller will probably become the first Rangers player to get booed at Ibrox and in away games because we plain don't want him

surely Ally McCoist must sit there and see flashes of Boyd in his own professional career and think "we can't lose this lad and buy pish like Miller to replace"

• SI Staff

You would think so TM. I don't agree with booing our own players though. Something more subtle to get the message across like the crowd turning their back on him and refusing to applaud if and when he celebrates a goal would be better.

But hopefully it won't be an issue as he won't be at Rangers. It's looking more and more likely though icon_frown.gif

Makes you wonder why Boyd can listen to the coaches and work on his game but Cousin can't.

Because Cousin keeps getting a game, so why should he care? Boyd's rarely on the field, so that shows Cousin there's no benefit to working harder than you need to, no rewards.

Guest sav112
Originally posted by Frankie 7:

as far as i understand it, you don't own Murray Park. It's a holding company that owns it and all the youth players so yeah, you have to buy your own youth players icon_biggrin.gif

jesus didn't know that. What a odd set up.

It not like its not owned by Rangers, it was paid in full and part is run by our youth development Company and we give small fee’s for players that develop. It a carbon copy as I remember of a few European Clubs. It guarantee’s that youth development gets a healthy investment.

Friends Boy plays now for the under 19 at Murray Park not been up to see it yet but it’s seemingly some set up.

Got a neighbour plays for Celtic and he’s waiting for the youth to move to the Tic new complex. beats a portacabin. icon_rolleyes.gif

Is he not just a younger version of Lee McCulloch?

bit harsh on the guy surely? nobody can be that bad, although Lafferty is a bit expensive (sure I heard £3-4m?) so he'd just be a more expensive McCulloch icon_frown.gif

god I wish we just had some scouts who could look in France, Spain, even Eastern European countries like Poland etc and find some bargains who could do a damn sight better than what we have. Cuellar was just a lucky one I guess because we played Osasuna in the UEFA Cup and we were able to see him first hand doing a great job. Doubt Ewan Chester would even know where Osasuna is anyway icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived