The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

I don't think Lafferty is as bad as a lot of you are making out. Granted he isn't worth £4 million.

He is young so is open to improvement, naturally left footed and has a presence about him.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure he can develop, but I'd be annoyed at paying £3-4m for somebody who is in the Championship and unlikely to really improve us

especially as we paid £2.2m for that donkey in the Premiership and he did absolutely nothing except score a cracking goal against Aberdeen earlier in the season

• SI Staff
god I wish we just had some scouts who could look in France, Spain, even Eastern European countries like Poland etc and find some bargains who could do a damn sight better than what we have

I think we should avoid France. How many players have we signed from the French league and how many of those could you say were a success?

I'm sure there must be some bargains in Scandinavia who more often than not seem to do well in Scotland. Unless they are Karl Svensson.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Maceo Rigters has been told he can leave by Blackburn. Not really proven but could be a more useful squad player than Miller.

did he even play a game for Blackburn icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Maceo Rigters has been told he can leave by Blackburn. Not really proven but could be a more useful squad player than Miller.

did he even play a game for Blackburn icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few sub and cup appearances, but a few teams were after him last season and he was one of their targets and since we share targets a lot nowadays we may as well.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Who's a silly Bhoy?

Bwahahahahahahaha!

A visionary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahahahhahahahaahhahahahh that is quality!

Originally posted by Ter:

Something more subtle to get the message across like the crowd turning their back on him and refusing to applaud if and when he celebrates a goal would be better.

A crowd turning their back on a goalscorer is subtle, is it? icon_biggrin.gif

Would much rather we invested money in a higher quality striker than Miller, but the prospect of something like this is ridiculous. We'd be a laughing stock and it's not something I'd do to any Rangers player, ex-Celt or whatever. We've had bigger chancers and less talented players over the years than Kenny Miller.

Football fans are a fickle beast anyway. If he comes back, makes a big impact, scores a pile of goals, and helps us win something next year, he'll have his own, long "Kenny Miller - I Take It Back" thread on FF.

Just back from a few days holiday (great timing after all - what football?)... icon_wink.gif

Gutted at losing the title but lots to be positive about - will write more over the weekend when I get time. Can I just say though that MP is owned outright by Rangers FC - no-one else. Also, RYD are paid when youth players make their first team debut but it's a nominal fee, no-one makes any money and all the funds go back to the set-up.

Regarding speculation, don't know the latest with Klasnic (did he sign for Besiktas?) but if he did that might explain the renewed Lovenkrands/Miller rumours. PL definitely wants to come back (personal issues) but can't be sure of our interest. Jocky Miller still tells me he is not aware of Kenny signing for Rangers. The fella Shittu is apparently one deal that is on the table.

Not heard anything else and, as usual, please take all with a rather large pinch of salt. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

Gutted at losing the title but lots to be positive about - will write more over the weekend when I get time.

Optimism's now officially barred in this thread until 2013, mate. icon_frown.gif

Guest sav112

You’ll have to keep me up to date with the mad press speculation, not bought a paper in about three Months , we’d buy them and they would sit with no one bothered to read them.

I always liked the mad speculation before the season starts.

Miller all I can say is a hope not. icon13.gif

Players I’d try and get in (light hearted look)

Curtis Davis (West Brom) been on loan at Villa. ( C Defender)

David Bentley (Blackburn) Right winger.

Steve Sidwell (Chelsea) (Mid) get him on loan.

Tim Cahill (Everton) Mid

Danny Murphy (Old but would do a job in the SPL) (Fulham)

Davies signed for Villa. Bout £10m or something too.

The others except Murphy - you must be on the special brew tonight is all I can say. Not a hope of 1. affording any of them 2. Paying them enough.

Murphy is old enough for Walt though icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by sav112:

Curtis Davis (West Brom) been on loan at Villa. ( C Defender)

David Bentley (Blackburn) Right winger.

Steve Sidwell (Chelsea) (Mid) get him on loan.

Tim Cahill (Everton) Mid

My sides are hurting icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Davies signed for Villa. Bout £10m or something too.

The others except Murphy - you must be on the special brew tonight is all I can say. Not a hope of 1. affording any of them 2. Paying them enough.

Murphy is old enough for Walt though icon_wink.gif

Just noticed the light hearted look, I take back the special brew comment icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by McD:

Shouldn't really be looking at the EPL (although that won't stop us). Better value for money elsewhere.

Definitely... Davis may be a reasonable signing for a swap with the bizarre Cousin chap but other than that, the EPL market is inflated and not much value for money to be had. £4million for Lafferty and he's not even in the EPL... icon_frown.gif

Every transfer has it's risks which often explains why Smith may resort to well kent faces who will do a reasonable job in the squad. That's all well and good but we still need around 3 players who can step into the first XI and improve it. I'm not sure Miller, Lovenkrands or Shittu would do that.

Fortunately in recent times we've pulled a few surprise rabbits out of the hat so I'd suggest avoiding the usual media red herrings and just wait until we see the new players with the new strip. That will take a few weeks I think even if the fans may need cheering up somewhat.

icon_smile.gif

Guest sav112

Yeah just doing the FM thing and fantasy Building!

Must be missing the Clan game that i'll have to get back into for FM09...... icon_biggrin.gif

on the up side I see Grav is coming back to Celtic. icon_wink.gif

Guest sav112

All I know is we need to get rid of excess or players not interested in the SPL.

Weir

Buffel

Hemdani

Daily

Cousins

Faye

Sebo

Darcheville

Boyd. (I’d play the guy but Walter wont)

Weir and JCD are well worth keeping IMO. Boyd as well but only if we intend playing to his strengths next season with a more attacking, creative system.

What we have to avoid is wholesale changes for changes sake but certainly the rest of the players you mention should be moved on and replacements sought.

Davis may be a reasonable signing for a swap with the bizarre Cousin chap

Nice way of putting it Frankie icon_biggrin.gif Can't honestly see Cousin doing anything in the EPL and having to face a relegation battle - his loss though.

Regards Kenny Miller - Like everyone else, I don't want him back but booing him is silly, and even not celebrating the goals he scores or whatever would have a profound impact on the rest of the teams morale I think.

Weir is definately worth keeping, he's actually had a great season and at 39 has really shown certain other players up regards fitness levels.

Originally posted by Anton:

Now you're back Frankie, whats going on with the RST? You still with the origional lot or with the break away group?

Haha, seriously, why on earth do you care?

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Now you're back Frankie, whats going on with the RST? You still with the origional lot or with the break away group?

Haha, seriously, why on earth do you care? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious as to what happened, if its private then fair enough.

Originally posted by TM:

haha what brilliance from the BBC - "OMG IT WAS A PUSH"

superb bias you speccy arse Mitchell icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, good to see De Marcus back, definately shows what we've been missing tbh. Really hope John Fleck gets at least half an hour now in the second half.

Need JCD to score now and 3 more goals to win my 2 bets.

Looked comfortable, was never a push by Whittaker just some pressure.

Boyd strike was cracking and DMB has looked very lively. McCulloch is still a waste of space, get Fleck on for him

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

if we get a 3rd, then I think Fleck will appear icon_cool.gif

or if the game stays at 2-0 until 80 minutes, we'll see him - maybe

Think he's the only attacking option on the bench isn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think if Davis is to stay he'll appear at somepoint.

Archived