The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

still couldnt imagine boyd as a lone striker at least for a couple of seasons. did look better, and definately wanted to make a point to walter. he has got to stay, and got to play.

fair enough in the big games where we are underdogs, somebody like JCD or novo to chase every ball and harass the defence, but for most matches, we should be able to play 2 up front and the man with the dodgy tash has to be one of them.

hopefully we'll get in the personnel to allow us to play with 2 forwards

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have liked Boyd and JCD together lately. Seems to work especially with a quick winger like Beasley or Novo. Hats off to JeanClaude, he runs and runs, and uses his body so well. Didnt get any goals today but I thought he did well.

p.s. F**K off McCulloch

hopefully with Fleck getting near the bench in recent times, that might mean he could be in Walter's plans for next year as I think he could be a weapon to use with his creative skills

obviously I don't want to see the guy go the way of Burke or anything like that, or burn him out using him too much, but he needs first team football to develop

hopefully we'll get in the personnel to allow us to play with 2 forwards

We already have it.

Be interesting to see the signings, but more than anything I want to see Fleck and Furman given a chance. I don't think we're that far short overall of being a really good side as long as we get rid of McCulloch, Cousin and their ilk. Was interesting today that Cousin didn't even feature on the bench - although the 5 subs and the 2 U-21's rule might have played a part in that. I thought we look a bit frail defensively, but on the other hand created some good chances going forward - and Queen of the South looked a decent enough side, and really at one point looked as if they were gonna hump us icon_biggrin.gif

The UEFA Cup probably did cost us the SPL in the end, just as it probably cost Celtic in 2003. I think though, when we look back on this season, we wouldn't swap that UEFA run for anything and to also add two cups can't be bad can it? Although the season had it's dissapointments - and although we still have 2-3 too many donkey's in the side - it's probably been one of the most amazing seasons I can ever remember, and certainly up there with the best.

Originally posted by TM:

hopefully with Fleck getting near the bench in recent times, that might mean he could be in Walter's plans for next year as I think he could be a weapon to use with his creative skills

obviously I don't want to see the guy go the way of Burke or anything like that, or burn him out using him too much, but he needs first team football to develop

I think a lot of it will be down to how well Fleck handles the expectations and pressure. Burke was a good player as a kid, but he wasn't and never will be in the same class as Fleck and in many ways it's his own attitude that has cost him. I think he believed his own hype too much and thought he had it made. I don't think Walter/Ally will allow Fleck to go down that road.

it's probably been one of the most amazing seasons I can ever remember, and certainly up there with the best.

probably an SPL title would have been much better, but apart from the CL, we've got to every Final of every competition we've been in this year which is stunning tbh

remember when we were 3-0 down to Dunfermline in Ian Durrant's only game in charge before Walter, none of us could have seen anything like this season coming to be honest

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

I think a lot of it will be down to how well Fleck handles the expectations and pressure. Burke was a good player as a kid, but he wasn't and never will be in the same class as Fleck and in many ways it's his own attitude that has cost him. I think he believed his own hype too much and thought he had it made. I don't think Walter/Ally will allow Fleck to go down that road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as long as walter doesnt try to keep his feet on the ground by not playing him til hes 30

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

don't you dare Walter icon_mad.gif

if Boyd is replaced by Miller, all hell will break loose icon_mad.gif

if that happens, im giving up and becoming a fulltime alan hutton/spurs fan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf is that moustache he had today all about icon_biggrin.gif

tbf i love a stat! Wish there was a good job in football stats!

Boyd :

2005/06 - goal every 73 mins

2006/07 - goal every 124 mins

2007/08 - goal every 88

icon_biggrin.gif anyone else want some stats on anyone? I have a lot of timeicon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

He played a few weeks ago, should be good to go next season if he gets through pre-season injury free. Allowing Papac to go to the centre with Cuellar icon_cool.gif

You think Papac will be as good at CB? Hes been so solid at left back and calm but Im not too sure that i want him at the centre. Im going to have to decide on my opinion on that...hmmmm

Meanwhile, Smith batted away questions about derogatory chanting by sections of the Rangers support at Hampden Park about Kenny Miller, the Derby County striker whom Smith is believed to be on the verge of luring back to Ibrox.

“It is a manager’s job to sign a player, and it is the player’s job, when he signs, to come and play,†Smith said, without specifying that Miller would definitely return. “So I don’t know what the problem is.†When pressed on whether Miller would return to Ibrox, Smith said: “It is not for me to say at this time. Let’s wait and see how we go over the summer.â€

The Rangers manager admitted, however, that at least three key new players would comprise his target over the coming weeks.

“We hope to add a bit extra in quality in all areas of the team: back, middle and front,†Smith said. “If we do that then we can improve. It will obviously depend on who will leave but I would hope that maybe two or three new players of a decent level will come in.â€

The clearest indication Miller is returning yet? icon_frown.gif

quote:

Meanwhile, Smith batted away questions about derogatory chanting by sections of the Rangers support at Hampden Park about Kenny Miller, the Derby County striker whom Smith is believed to be on the verge of luring back to Ibrox.

“It is a manager’s job to sign a player, and it is the player’s job, when he signs, to come and play,†Smith said, without specifying that Miller would definitely return. “So I don’t know what the problem is.†When pressed on whether Miller would return to Ibrox, Smith said: “It is not for me to say at this time. Let’s wait and see how we go over the summer.â€

The Rangers manager admitted, however, that at least three key new players would comprise his target over the coming weeks.

“We hope to add a bit extra in quality in all areas of the team: back, middle and front,†Smith said. “If we do that then we can improve. It will obviously depend on who will leave but I would hope that maybe two or three new players of a decent level will come in.â€

The clearest indication Miller is returning yet?

Sounds promising icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

surely "decent" doesn't describe him, although I don't really expect Walter to say he's a bag of pish who no Rangers fans want to see back at Ibrox tbh

don't sell Boyd for him or you are digging a huge hole for yourself and the player Walter icon_frown.gif

What exactly would miller improve?

Walter saying he hopes to improve all 3 areas of the team, but if he is replacing Weir at the back he will be lucky to keep the quality even with the new signings.

Originally posted by TM:

Boyd has been a key player for ages, Walter has just decided to play that meat taster Cousin ahead of him

we must change that formation next year, Boyd will never be a lone striker - but in 4-4-2, he will get you goals

Unless we're planning on punting Ferguson, 4-4-2 next season is not an option.

Boyd is not good enough to warrant building a system round him.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

He played a few weeks ago, should be good to go next season if he gets through pre-season injury free. Allowing Papac to go to the centre with Cuellar icon_cool.gif

Papac is mince at centre back.

Besides, he's an awesome left back. 3rd name on the team sheet after Cuellar and Thomson.

As much as I love Stevie Smith, he has a battle on his hands next season.

If Miller signs, then I will be calling for Smith to be sacked.

I can't see how Smith can justify signing Miller whatsoever. Even more amazing would be how Miller can risk signing for Rangers knowing the vast majority of the fans would be sharpening their knives for the guy.

I'm still weighing up just how to react if we manage to resign the one player whom I genuinely hate. As pathetic as that sounds.

Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

I can't see how Smith can justify signing Miller whatsoever. Even more amazing would be how Miller can risk signing for Rangers knowing the vast majority of the fans would be sharpening their knives for the guy.

I'm still weighing up just how to react if we manage to resign the one player whom I genuinely hate. As pathetic as that sounds.

If he signs, I'm getting a "We Will Never Forget. We Will Never Forgive." banner made and taking it wherever I go.

And like I said, if he signs I will demand Smith's resignation.

Does anyone remember the furore when Mo Johnston was signed? Demonstartions outside the ground, supporteres burning their scarves and season tickets etc. As soon as he started to score goals most of that was forgotten, especially when he scored the winner against Celtic.

Not saying that the situation is the same but i would be more concerned about Millars quality and whether he can improve the team than worry about his history. He didnt do it first time at Ibrox, wasnt a roaring success at Wolves, didnt make the grade at Parkhead and hasnt set the heather on fire at Derby so I dont think in pure footballing terms he will be the answer, altho he will work harder that most of the other options-maybe this is the attraction to Smith?

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Sacking even.

Lets say that Smith is considering re-signing Miller- there is no way at all that Murray, Bain, McCoist and McDowall wont have been included in the thought process so it would hardly be a sacking offence- if it didnt work after a year and Rangers had won nothing, then maybe.

Originally posted by matty_8:

Boyd :

2007/08 - goal every 88

icon_biggrin.gif anyone else want some stats on anyone? I have a lot of timeicon_frown.gif

Is this basing it on his time on the park (5 minutes here or there) a full 90 minutes, or the total minutes the team has played this year in games that he has featured in?

Because if it was goals against total time he's been on the park he's surely a goal every 20 minutes or so icon_biggrin.gif

Utterly ludicrous to call for the sacking of one of the greatest managers the club has ever had based on the signing of a player that no-one likes. Players should be judged on their performances on the park and nothing else. You don't have to like them - I totally loath Cousin, but if he had played and scored in the UEFA Cup Final would I have booed him? - can't believe some of the utter drivel being posted by so-called fans tbh. You should be ashamed.

Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

I'd imagine the one thing that might persuade him - money?

Certainly don't want Miller returning to our club but that's the manager's call and he'll live or die with that decision. Thing with Miller is that he offers a reasonable amount in terms of a 'industrial' type forward so I think that's why Smith may see him as a partner for Boyd.

In saying that, I'm not sure signing him is worth the hassle for what is no more than an average player.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Boyd :

2007/08 - goal every 88

Is this basing it on his time on the park (5 minutes here or there) a full 90 minutes, or the total minutes the team has played this year in games that he has featured in?

Because if it was goals against total time he's been on the park he's surely a goal every 20 minutes or so icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since he joined:

05/06 17 starts, 4 subs, 20 goals

06/07 36 starts, 8 subs, 26 goals

07/08 23 starts,16 subs, 24 goals

totals 76 starts, 28 subs, 70 goals

0.92 goals per start or 0.67 goals per appearance

Whatever way you look at the stats, he has a tremendous, almost unmatched, scoring record in recent years.

Originally posted by FrazT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Boyd :

2007/08 - goal every 88

Because if it was goals against total time he's been on the park he's surely a goal every 20 minutes or so icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since he joined:

05/06 17 starts, 4 subs, 20 goals

06/07 36 starts, 8 subs, 26 goals

07/08 23 starts,16 subs, 24 goals

totals 76 starts, 28 subs, 70 goals

0.92 goals per start or 0.67 goals per appearance

Whatever way you look at the stats, he has a tremendous, almost unmatched, scoring record in recent years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Especially given that he hasn't exactly had the quality players around him that you'd think he'd need for putting crosses/getting the ball to him in the box.

Just think what he'd be like with better players supplying him icon_cool.gif

Archived