The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon we can get a point from Holland away. Last game at home to them going to absolutely crucial i think.

Also, Holland will be a ffffb away day, will try and get to that. Might be going to Iceland away as well, doubt it though.

Anyway, this is turning into a Scotland thread icon_biggrin.gif

they do have some good players as well, Goran Pandev is a good striker in Serie A for Lazio and certainly is no mug - I do sense Georgia or Belarus about them as well, so that's why I hope we can get 3 to start off perfectly

England drew 2-2 with them in England and they were quite lucky to win the game in Skopje, was a 1-0 win if I remember correctly. Another thing that strikes me from looking at the fixtures is after the away Dutch game on March 28th, Scotland have the last 3 out of 4 games at home - could be something we could take advantage of icon14.gif

It could be, hopefully we are still in contention by then.

The last game at home to Holland will be good if we are both fighting for 1st or even if they have already QF and we need something to get the play-off spot

its a while away but at least we have a bit of optimism for the 1st time in god knows how long

Walter has done so much for Rangers. This season he has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the team. But if he does indeed bring back rat boy, and the team are not ultimitley sucessful, it will prove to be the redeeming action of his entire tenure at our helm, which IMO would be a travesty.

Which is indeed the bottom line. I'll wait and see how it goes on the park - as well as whatever other players get signed - before deciding a club legend should be summarily dismissed. We owe Walter Smith as a club more than anyone could ever imagine - he might not be the most exciting manager I've ever seen, and he might well have an adversity to playing players under 30 and wait until the 85th minute before making subs - BUT he has won more trophies at Rangers than any other manager bar Bill Struth. That is what counts. People calling for his head based on what might be, need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers

• SI Staff

If Walter Smith signs Kenny Miller then I don't think it will be a good decision. But at the end of the day...

Walter Smith Honours

Scotland

* Winners

o UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship (1) - 1982

o Kirin Cup (1) - 2006

Rangers

* Winners

o Scottish League Premier Division (7) - 1990-91, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-1997

o Scottish Cup (4) - 1991-92, 1992-93, 1995-96, 2007-08

o Scottish League Cup (4) - 1992-93, 1993-94, 1996-97, 2007-08

* Runners-up

o UEFA Cup (1) - 2007-08

o Scottish Cup (2) - 1993-94, 1997-98

Personal

* Clydesdale Bank SPL Manager of the Year (1) - 2007-08

* SFWA Manager of the Year (6) - 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 2007-08

Me

Sports Interactive B

Finsbury Leisure Centre Thursday Lunchtime League Runners Up (1) - Spring 2008

If the rumoured price and wages are true, then we'll have *****ed £3.8m and upwards of £30k a week on Miller and McCulloch, when there's players like Pablo Aimar available for a little more.

Calling for him to be sacked over it is hysterical, but serious questions over Smith's judgement in the transfer window and long term plans for the club have to be asked if the Miller rumours turn out to be true.

£4m bought Arsenal Niklas Bendtner, Kolo Toure, Gael Clichy and Mathieu Flamini. There's plenty of cheap talent to be had if you're willing to look for it, instead of always going for the safe option. The 4 mentioned players, or Lee McCulloch and Kenny Miller?

Wenger is possibly one of the most clued up guys in football though with a scouting network to rival anything that any club in the world has

and Pablo Aimar would probably never go near the SPL icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by TM:

Wenger is possibly one of the most clued up guys in football though with a scouting network to rival anything that any club in the world has

and Pablo Aimar would probably never go near the SPL icon_wink.gif

Don't ask, you don't get.

I'd rather we were enquiring for players of that calibre than signing yet another player who did an alright job for Scotland 3 years ago.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd rather we were enquiring for players of that calibre

Maybe we do and we just never hear about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And mibbe we will. If Miller is one of the three 'quality' players then sure we're having a laugh. It all depends who big the kitty is and Chairman Liar did say he would release a substantial amount to the manager.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I see McGregor has had a successful knee operation and should be fit for the start of next season.

Spurs will be delighted.... icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard something about McGregor whoring himself around London clubs (football clubs btw icon_wink.gif ) or something. Shed any light on the alleged story Frankie? icon_wink.gif

I heard a few months back it was almost certain McGregor would be sold this summer as his recent form had over-inflated his true value (this is the way the club administration saw the Hutton transfer and will probably see any future one (AM, CC or whoever)... Pretty sure Spurs were the club involved in the deal (~£6million).

No idea if the story is true or not of course.

• SI Staff
Is Graeme Smith only on loan at Motherwell? He is an okay goalkeeper, had a couple of good saves against Celtic and Rangers.

No. We used to have him but we released him or something.

We signed a different Graeme Smith from Kilmarnock at the start of last season.

Confused?

• SI Staff

It seems too much of a co-incidence to me that our collapse started once McGregor got injured. Maybe he's far more influential to the team than we give him credit for.

Not that Alexander has done anything obviously wrong. Strange one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is Graeme Smith only on loan at Motherwell? He is an okay goalkeeper, had a couple of good saves against Celtic and Rangers.

No. We used to have him but we released him or something.

We signed a different Graeme Smith from Kilmarnock at the start of last season.

Confused? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, confused (icon_biggrin.gif) and I was being serious with the Robinson for McGregor thing, mabye even some money going your way as Ramos seems to dislike Robinson.

i dont think i've ever seen a transfer that fans were ever so opposed to.

Celtic fans on the other hand are all wanting to see it happen. Even though could possibly turn out a good player for you, its just that it would be quite funny icon_biggrin.gif

i hated him at Celtic, so it gives me another reason to hate him more

It seems too much of a co-incidence to me that our collapse started once McGregor got injured. Maybe he's far more influential to the team than we give him credit for.

Not that Alexander has done anything obviously wrong. Strange one.

It's for the same reason that Celtic's form went to shit when Boruc got injured in December. Mark Brown and Neil Alexander aren't bad keepers, but they just lack something that their respective number 1s have.

Brown is pretty poor, decent SPL shot stopper but he's not especially reliable. Probably about the Rab Douglas level.

Miller will definitely score against us. Actually if anyone can get a decent contribution out of him it's smith. Would be hilarious if he joined though, he'd have to live in Oslo.

• SI Staff
i dont think i've ever seen a transfer that fans were ever so opposed to.

We've been linked with Maloney as well and to be honest I'm not too bothered about that one as he's actually a decent player.

Miller is just rank rotten and (IMO) he's got nothing to offer that the likes of Steven Lennon already has. If Steven Lennon had been playing for Hibs for a season and done well we'd be trying to buy him for £1M and end up getting him for £2M or something.

We really need to loan the likes of Lennon out to another SPL team to see how he gets on as he's not going to stick around in the reserves forever.

Originally posted by deerokus:

Brown is pretty poor, decent SPL shot stopper but he's not especially reliable. Probably about the Rab Douglas level.

Miller will definitely score against us. Actually if anyone can get a decent contribution out of him it's smith. Would be hilarious if he joined though, he'd have to live in Oslo.

Mark Brown is awesome icon_mad.gif

No coincidence that Caley's best years were when he was between the sticks tbh.

Archived