The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Administrators
Have we been linked to any centre backs other than Danny Shittu?

Chelsea's Reserve centre-back Carl Magnay. He won Football Icon.

If by linked, you mean a post on CFCnet from a guy who got talking with him in Moscow and Carl told him he was off to Rangers for next season, seemed excited about it or something.

Take as much salt as you want.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Reynolds is a superb young defender.

I want Strachan to look further afield but if he was determined on still scouring the SPL for talent, and even more-so a defender, Mark Reynolds would be superb.

Glad Rangers bid got rejected, because that would be an astute signing

Frankie, you're right he was brought through our ranks as a Left Back but due to the injury to Brian McLean at the start of the season prior to the one past he was moved to Centre Back.

He as also been a tidy we player going forward and there have been talks of moving him into central midfield.

It seems the reason why the bid was rejected was because McGhee demanded it be etc.

I doubt this is an end, but it will take an outrageous bid to make Boyle/McGhee say yes, as I will be absolutely flabbergasted if we hear the whinging that tends to happen when players are refused a transfer to one of the Glasgow Big Two and the fact McGhee has already said you offer x, I'll tell you we'll sell him for y come the summer or something like that

rumours on FF (aye I know) icon_wink.gif

McGhee didn't go to Hearts because he got guarantees that none of his good players at Well would be sold in the summer (and obviously the new contract) - so if Mark Reynolds went, I guess McGhee would as well and I don't think Boyle wants that icon_wink.gif

Not a rumour. Fact.

manager Mark McGhee said: "The offer has been turned down. We won't be selling any of our top stars this summer. We are more interested in strengthening our squad.

"It was part of my discussions with chairman John Boyle and one of the reasons I didn't go to Hearts.

"I was given guarantees none of our top players would be sold - if they are, then I will be going out the door with them."

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Boyle should be commended for this action then.

If Mowbray had such assurances a few years ago his team would have been very, very strong by now.

Hearts (if they had kept Burley) and Hibs (if they had Mowbray still) would be the big two instead of the OF. Imagine that!

Originally posted by ATW:

TM, how can you read FF, a few quotes made its way back to the Motherwell site and well, they are cringe worthy... I guess most of the intelligent ones made their way to here icon_wink.gif

it's interesting to see how many ***** appear on that site to be honest, although you do get some good threads which have "reliable" info

Boyle should be commended for this action then.

If Mowbray had such assurances a few years ago his team would have been very, very strong by now.

The Hibs team that got dismantled was a neccessity to finance their debt and their training centre.

Now that's taken care of, Hibs are in a stronger position to get more money for their players - hence the £4.5m Celtic paid for Scott Brown.

• SI Staff

Yeah, they could have had a starting line up including players like

GK: ?

DR: Steven Whittaker (now at Rangers)

DL: David Murphy (now at Birmingham)

DC: Gary Caldwell (now at Celtic)

DC: Ian Murray (now back at Hibs)

MC: Kevin Thomson (now at Rangers)

MC: Scott Brown (now at Celtic)

MR: ?

ML: ?

FC: Derek Riordan (now at Celtic Reserves)

FC: Steven Fletcher

Can't be bothered trying to fill in the blanks at this time in the morning

• SI Staff

We've agreed a fee with Derby for Kenny Miller, close to £2m icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3652807,00.html

"The two clubs have agreed a deal and we are reasonably happy with the package, so it is now down to Kenny to sort things out with Rangers," Pearson told the Scottish Daily Express"I don't envisage any problems because Kenny is keen to go to Rangers and Rangers are keen to sign him.

"We have had one firm offer and three serious enquiries about signing him but Kenny told us he wasn't interested because he wants to go to Rangers."

Dark days icon_frown.gif

I'm not against signing Miller like the majority of you are.

Yes, he is not going to score 30 goals a season but I think he is being brought in to play alongside Boyd which could be a very good partnership. Miller is very hard working and will give 100% and is back working with Walter who got the best out of him for Scotland. Anyone remember the game against Italy?!

I have know idea what his wages are and I agree that there might be better value around but I think Miller will do a job. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If Mowbray had such assurances a few years ago his team would have been very, very strong by now.

Can't be bothered trying to fill in the blanks at this time in the morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roirdan on one of the wings and Garry O'Connor upfront

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

ffs what a joke.

Surely there are much better options available. Is Walter trying to just bring his Scotland side together?

Yup. Makes sense. Club managers move somewhere else and always try and buy the same players that they worked with before. Smith is no different, he knows Miller and feels he'll benefit Rangers.

He's due a purple patch at some point in his career surely icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by djmac174:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If Mowbray had such assurances a few years ago his team would have been very, very strong by now.

Can't be bothered trying to fill in the blanks at this time in the morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roirdan on one of the wings and Garry O'Connor upfront </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sproule on the other wing. Good luck finding a half decent keeper. It is Hibs after all.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

If this is the calibre of player we will be signing i will look into canceling my ST

Along with most others, i share the disappointment and apprehension about Millers signing. I do feel, however, that we must give Smith and the coaching team the courtesy of some time to judge their choice and not condemn both the player and management before giving them the chance to prove us all wrong.

Originally posted by FrazT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

If this is the calibre of player we will be signing i will look into canceling my ST

Along with most others, i share the disappointment and apprehension about Millers signing. I do feel, however, that we must give Smith and the coaching team the courtesy of some time to judge their choice and not condemn both the player and management before giving them the chance to prove us all wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And let the yahoo'd rack up 4-5-6 in a row and automatic qualification and the cash that comes with it to the CL while we must face 2 qualifiying rounds and almost certain elimination with this sub standard squad Uncle Walter is assembling.

We will fall further behind, rather than catch up.

Blind Faith indeed chaps.

Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djmac174:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Roirdan on one of the wings and Garry O'Connor upfront </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sproule on the other wing. Good luck finding a half decent keeper. It is Hibs after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just can't replace Andy Goram

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

All I know is whenever I've seen him play this season he's been derbys best player by a country mile and looked pretty good.

He also would have scored two against us (man utd) if it wasnt for two worldies from Ben Foster.

What's your beef with him?

Well mate, having watched him for years play for Hibs, Rangers, Scotland and then at Celtic i can catigorically state that he is not good enough to play for us, even if he did look like the best player in the worst premiership team in history.

Fair enough. But all I know is he's playing in the best league in the world and he looked quite good.

plus players progress and get better you know?

Bet you he does well.

There have benn countless number of players playing in better leagues than ours, have came here and been out of thier depth, and having seem Miller play in the SPL before, and looking out of his depth, it seems like a no brainer.

Players may progress and get better but you can't polish a turd.

Fair enough. But all I know is he's playing in the best league in the world and he looked quite good.

plus players progress and get better you know?

Bet you he does well.

His 8 goals in 30 appearances in season 2006/07 (whilst playing for the SPL champions) suggest otherwise.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

What's your beef with him?

He played in green and white, then had the audacity to score against them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's first and foremost that he's a dreadful footballer who has failed at both halves of the Old Firm, who we're wasting £2m of our money on when far better players could be found for that price with a bit of scouting.

You've been linked with/about to sign plenty of crap players in the past.

Pray tell whey there has been no anti-whoever songs against them?

Hiding behind this 'hes crap' charade is comical.

I live and work in Glasgow and speak to Rangers fans all the time. You want him because he played for us.

It's Mojo all over again.

Btw he isnt crap, his goal scoring record is poor yes. Kris Boyd on the other hand has a great one yet cant get a game?

But he isnt crap...his goals and performances for us in the CL 2 years ago were a major part of why we qualified from the group.

He's also done well for Scotland.

Why would most here be fairly chuffed if we signed Maloney then?

Because you would be signing a good player and mainly because he left us when we didnt want him to go, so that would be a massive GIUY to us.

Just admit you cant handle signing a player that was shown the door at Celtic a year ago.

You've been linked with/about to sign plenty of crap players in the past.

Pray tell whey there has been no anti-whoever songs against them?

Hiding behind this 'hes crap' charade is comical.

I live and work in Glasgow and speak to Rangers fans all the time. You want him because he played for us.

It's Mojo all over again.

icon_biggrin.gif

Baws, as long as the player comes in a does a job for the team I don't care who he supports or has played for.

Kenny Miller is a limited player and doesn't represent any value at £2m. If (when) he signs I hope he proves me wrong.

Baws, as long as the player comes in a does a job for the team I don't care who he supports or has played for.

Kenny Miller is a limited player and doesn't represent any value at £2m. If (when) he signs I hope he proves me wrong.

"You've been linked with/about to sign plenty of crap players in the past.

Pray tell whey there has been no anti-whoever songs against them?"

What happened to giving a player a chance?

Do you think we wanted Kenny Miller...no...was there a huge campaign to stop is happening...no.

Funny that.

We're a bit more liberal when it comes to who we sign.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

And I can't see too many of you being overjoyed if you were to be linked with Nacho Novo after a poor spell in England.

Yeah, but we would admit it.

And fwiw, Nacho Novo wouldnt be able to improve our squad but Kenny Miller is better than both those lumps of wood Cousin and Darcheville.

The song is pish, if we're going to start that can we have one for Lovenkrands, plus half of the team out there.

Reading FF and I'm saddened to see some of the reactions. Fair enough when a player is being linked with the club, but when he signs he deserves to be given the same chance anyone else would get

Aye, instead we've had three years of "Strachan GTF" about a guy who can't stop winning league titles for you. Liberal through and through...

Been through this all before but... Miller will make a decent squad player for us, better than some on here and elsewhere are making out, but we've got plenty of decent squad players and the support want to see good money spent on real quality, the type of quality that Celtic edge us on currently. The frustration over Miller, for alot of people, certainly also comes wrapped up in the fact he played for them. Not an issue that particularly bothers me, but then rivalry is rivalry and I don't see any real shame in it being an issue. Disgruntlement will fade quicker than smoke if he does the business on the pitch.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Aye, instead we've had three years of "Strachan GTF" about a guy who can't stop winning league titles for you. Liberal through and through... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all fans..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

And I can't see too many of you being overjoyed if you were to be linked with Nacho Novo after a poor spell in England.

And fwiw, Nacho Novo wouldnt be able to improve our squad but Kenny Miller is better than both those lumps of wood Cousin and Darcheville. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cousin and Darchville both have a first touch and a modicum of ball control.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Aye, instead we've had three years of "Strachan GTF" about a guy who can't stop winning league titles for you. Liberal through and through...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three years. icon_biggrin.gif

Lets get real for a minute, you're comparing a 30 second chant against Strachan (when being beat by 10 men Motherwell at home and looking to blow the title) to this anti-Miller campaign? Which started 6 months before he has almost joined?

Do me a favour....Comical Ali came out with more believable nonsense than that.

Lets get real for a minute, you're comparing a 30 second chant against Strachan (when being beat by 10 men Motherwell at home and looking to blow the title) to this anti-Miller campaign? Which started 6 months before he has almost joined?

whit, Wilson has been wanting Strachan out for years on the Celtic thread and has been joined by plenty others including yourself over that time icon_biggrin.gif

the only reason why you are saying nothing about him at the moment is cause he won the league this year, if we'd have taken the treble - that Celtic thread would be full of "Strachan GTF"

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lets get real for a minute, you're comparing a 30 second chant against Strachan (when being beat by 10 men Motherwell at home and looking to blow the title) to this anti-Miller campaign? Which started 6 months before he has almost joined?

whit, Wilson has been wanting Strachan out for years on the Celtic thread and has been joined by plenty others including yourself over that time icon_biggrin.gif

the only reason why you are saying nothing about him at the moment is cause he won the league this year, if we'd have taken the treble - that Celtic thread would be full of "Strachan GTF" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comparing posts on an internet forum to an openly public anti-Miller campaign led for 6 months.

Please.

Get real.

If if if...

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

And fwiw, Nacho Novo wouldnt be able to improve our squad but Kenny Miller is better than both those lumps of wood Cousin and Darcheville. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cousin and Darchville both have a first touch and a modicum of ball control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You what? do you even watch football?

Kenny Miller has a decent touch and link-up play, much more than Darcheville, who when he isnt falling over the ball hes blazing his shots over the bar.

Cousin is a strong player but is a dis-interested lump of wood the majority of the time.

I know it hurts you for whatever reason that Miller is rejoining, but stop talking ********

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Cousin and Darchville both have a first touch and a modicum of ball control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You what? do you even watch football?

Kenny Miller has a decent touch and link-up play, much more than Darcheville, who when he isnt falling over the ball hes blazing his shots over the bar.

Cousin is a strong player but is a dis-interested lump of wood the majority of the time.

I know it hurts you for whatever reason that Miller is rejoining, but stop talking ******** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your talking out yer arse son icon_biggrin.gif Kenny Miller does not have a first touch.

Archived