The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Club chairman reiterated his itention that he was still strongly committed to club and was prepared to invest into its future - both in the short and long term

aye who are you kidding Murray eh? icon14.gif

surprised there is no mention of the pathetic bids he and Bain are putting in to clubs, knowing they won't get players because clubs are disgusted by the offers, I know there isn't a lot of money there and I expect 99% of Gers fans can appreciate that because of the financial implications over the last 5-10 years - but some of the bids (not talking about Faubert here) have just been embarassing

Faubert was simply because West Ham can afford to spend money freely due to the Premiership but having to make 3 bids to get Naismith and then finding out how embarassing they've been is just not what we should be doing. Clubs are going to work out (if they haven't by now) what we are doing when we go for a player and say "go away"

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking of getting Freeview setanta but I wanted to check if Setanta show all the SPL and EPL and french and german games on setanta 1? I also assume french and german are delayed as 'live' games. Also is there a highlights package?

• SI Staff

Squad (and numbers) from the official site

01 MCGREGOR Allan

02 HUTTON Alan

03 WEIR David

04 BUFFEL Thomas

05 PAPAC Sasa

06 FERGUSON Barry

07 HEMDANI Brahim

08 THOMSON Kevin

09 BOYD Kris

10 NOVO Nacho

11 ADAM Charlie

12 EHIOGU Ugo

14 SIONKO Libor

15 GOW Alan

16 SMITH Graeme

17 BURKE Chris

18 MURRAY Ian

19 BEASLEY DaMarcus

20 DARCHEVILLE Jean-Claude

21 BROADFOOT Kirk

22 WEBSTER Andy

23 SEBO Filip

26 SMITH Steven

28 PONROY Antoine

34 ROBINSON Lee

41 LOWING Alan

42 LENNON Steven

44 EMSLIE Paul

45 CAMPBELL Steven

47 FURMAN Dean

48 GILMOUR Brian

49 MCMILLAN Jordan

58 GALLACHER Scott

59 SHINNIE Andrew

63 PERRY Ross

-- EFREM Georgios

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

10 NOVO Nacho

He's obviously in Walts plans.

Not necessarily, it was his number from last year so unless a player specifically requests a change (like Boyd) then they'll usually get the same number from last season. Plus, we've only signed the one forward thus far.

he needs to be sacked and get Murray gone icon13.gif

although I've noticed Killie have raised the price to £2m, not that I really blame them for our pathetic negotations and seeing what we spend on Thomson/Celtic spent on Brown

I wonder who our "rival" for him is now, as if I didn't know icon14.gif

Originally posted by TM:

he needs to be sacked and get Murray gone icon13.gif

although I've noticed Killie have raised the price to £2m, not that I really blame them for our pathetic negotations and seeing what we spend on Thomson/Celtic spent on Brown

I wonder who our "rival" for him is now, as if I didn't know icon14.gif

If we hadn't made such a pathetic original bid for him, we may have him by now.

surely bain and murray must realise they are going to ruin walters signing plans by offering crappy bids for players.

it seems that we are happy enough to offer out more money for players outside the SPL but when its a scottish club, despite the fact they have league experience, the purse strings are tightened. im sure killie would be more prepared to accept the money on offer if it was in one go, rather than treating them like a catalogue, offering all sorts of installments.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Cuellar is in glasgow to sign icon14.gif

An excellent signing.

Now for a few more and we should be able to mount a much stronger challenge come August. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will there be many more though? We will probably get McCulloch which I don't mind but would rather not have to pay £2.5 million. Really hope Naismith comes but looks like that ship has sailed.

Exclusive! Cuellar Joins Gers

WALTER SMITH has secured the services of highly-rated Spanish star Carlos Cuellar as he continues to formulate his squad for the new campaign.

The Osasuna defender, who played against Rangers in last season's UEFA Cup, jetted in last night to seal the deal and undergo a medical.

Now Cuellar, who has signed a four-year contract, will join his new team mates this weekend after becoming the sixth new capture since the tail end of last season, following the signings of Jean-Claude Darcheville, DaMarcus Beasley, Graeme Smith, Kirk Broadfoot and Alan Gow.

Rangers became aware of Cuellar when they went to watch Osasuna ahea do the last 16 clash in the UEFA Cup and subsequently kept tabs on him.

Snith believes he is landing an excellent player who also has a terrific future in the game given that he is still only 25.

Smith said: "We're delighted to sign Carlos. We were impressed with him when we went to watch Osasuna before our UEFA Cup tie and also in the tie itself.

"We then followed up on that and decided to make an offer to Osasuna. I'm very pleased that we have now done the deal and I feel sure he will be an excellent addition to our squad."

COMING UP - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS WITH CARLOS AND WALTER ON WORLD!

icon14.gif

Originally posted by Jorg:

Will there be many more though? We will probably get McCulloch which I don't mind but would rather not have to pay £2.5 million. Really hope Naismith comes but looks like that ship has sailed.

I reckon we'll sign another 4 players. icon_smile.gif

Wow, some long-termism from our heirarchy. Decent age for a centre-half, plenty of experience at the highest level, evident desire to come here, not too pricey. Really can't argue with that signing. Should make the baying mob less restless for oh... about an hour! icon_biggrin.gif

Wasn't particularly bothered by the Faubert thing as tbh I didn't like his attitude anyway and spending the sort of money Bordeaux wanted was never gonna happen anyway - another of the Murray hey we tried to get this player but it wasn't our fault excuses.

However the Naismith saga has gone on way too long, either give Kilmarnock what they want or get the feck out of the deal its a piece of nonsense. If you want a player, you pay the price clearly then the club don't really want Naismith for some reason.

As to the overall picture, whilst I didn't think Celtic were that good a side last year they have added something to their squad and for now at least I think they start quite clearly ahead of us in terms of quality. Right now my money is on them winning the title, but we shall see won't we.

We need some flair in midfield/front Ideally a player lke what we all wanted Buffel to be when he came but it turns out he's built like a 12 year old girl and not as strong.

Still want more pace in the side.

the most surprising thing about this transfer has been the post on FF about him being at a hotel and a deal to be completed in the morning was completely 100% right icon_redface.gif

especially considering the rumours about Naismith and the Brown stuff that was going on/is still going (well Naismith, not Brown)

He can play rb and rmf so it's like getting two players and only paying for one. Thats what Bain & Murray are probably thinking icon_mad.gif

Although that could be good. I don't want Hutton displaced as he was awesome at the end of last season.

----------------

When is the new away kit out? Looks pretty smart this year.

You know, watching from over here on the Isle of Man, I cannae help but wonder whats happened to Rangers over the last 5 years. McLeish wasnt a good manager, but he did have a bit of luck and inherited what was essentially a decent squad from Advocaat. Trouble was, you cant have a manager that buys bargains come in to replace a chequebook manager. A title and a few cups papered over the cracks, and Murray's days of bankrolling the club appear well and truly over.

Share Issues and the like dont bring the same result that they do over in the East End. Cant remember the exact stats (im sure someone here can pop them in) but the takeup on the last one from the same fans that are barracking Murray for not investing was quite truly pitiful. Would Gers fans say that theyve been asked for enough money, or are Rangers suffering from the rather unfortunate trait of Glory hunters switching sides when things start to change.

In fact, I cant remember the last time, as a Jags fan, we signed more players in the summer than Rangers.

I honestly wish that the squad was stronger, deeper, and more able to compete with Celtic this season. Years back, Murray said that "A strong Rangers needs a Strong Celtic to move the club on". The acquisition of Cuellar and Darcheville, and associated "Squad Players" isnt going to move the club onto the next phase of the Champions League, or win them back the title IMO. Then again, I wouldnt have backed Motherwell to put Celtic to the sword a few seasons back and hand Rangers a league title.

Might even be enough to persuade me to buy a Setanta subscription this season. Although itll be a decade or two at the current rate before I can watch the Jags on there.

Him leaving isn't rally the issue tbh, its more to do with us finally not caving to the Old Firm. We stcuk to our valuation.

If he happens to leave when we get an offer that matches the fee asked then fine, be it Rangers, Celtic or whoever icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by marc1873:

Ah ok, well played then I guess.

Should never have needed more than one bid in the first place. Shambles.

it is Murray and the suntan man Bain icon14.gif probably look on those shopping TV channels to see if any footballers are on them with the penny pinching they do - and yeah we bought Cuellar, but that was probably the most expensive we'll go (unless they do give Wigan that 2.5m) icon_frown.gif

Gers Sign Carroll

Exclusive by Lindsay Herron

WALTER SMITH has further boosted his squad by signing experienced keeper Roy Carroll on a one-year contract.

The Ulsterman was a free agent after being released by West Ham and chief executive Martin Bain concluded an agreement today and the keeper passed a medical.

Smith worked with Carroll two years ago at Manchester United when he worked with Sir Alex Ferguson for a short period and knows all about his capablities.

Carroll, a lifelong Rangers fan, jumped at the chance to join up and will fight with Allan McGregor and Graeme Smith for the jersey.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marc1873:

Ah ok, well played then I guess.

Should never have needed more than one bid in the first place. Shambles.

it is Murray and the suntan man Bain icon14.gif probably look on those shopping TV channels to see if any footballers are on them with the penny pinching they do - and yeah we bought Cuellar, but that was probably the most expensive we'll go (unless they do give Wigan that 2.5m) icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only 2.5? i reckon we should offer 4 mil plus for McCulloch.

Would be mildly surprised if that's the end of the issue from our point of view. Hopefully it is as I'm sick fed up hearing about it now. We've missed out on better players in this window alone.

Can't see him not going somewhere. All the Killie's quotes suggest they're desperate to get him shifted while his stock is good. Poor boy will probably go and sit in Celtic reserves for the next couple of seasons then be punted to Ipswich or something.

carrol isnt a bad saigning, especially with a european campaign to contend with. his experience will be valuable, however i would still like to see macgregor as first choice. he proved he is capable last season, and will surely improve the more he plays.

i wouldnt be surprised if we offer a half decent bid for naismith later on in the month. murray and bain are being a bit tight in regards to their valuation, but he isnt a priority squad wise, but im guessing they are banking on killie spending a bit of cash (about a fiver) and anticipating money being made from naismith

Originally posted by Lambie's Lovechild:

Share Issues and the like dont bring the same result that they do over in the East End. Cant remember the exact stats (im sure someone here can pop them in) but the takeup on the last one from the same fans that are barracking Murray for not investing was quite truly pitiful. Would Gers fans say that theyve been asked for enough money, or are Rangers suffering from the rather unfortunate trait of Glory hunters switching sides when things start to change.

The Rangers fans didn't buy into the last share issue because basically Murray was asking for the fans to pay for his mistakes. Add to that the way ENIC, Joe Lewis and Dave King lost their cash, the high-net worth support (and many ordinary fans) were never going to bail Murray out to the tune of £50million.

In addition, the Rangers fans certainly cannot be accused of being glory hunters. The last 2 seasons have been woeful. The standard of football has been well below average, the match-day experience stale and generally value for money isn't too positive. We've not won the league for 2 years and haven't contested a final for longer. We're not at our best is a conservative way of describing things.

However, season ticket sales remain at record levels. As such, the commitment from the fans isn't the problem here.

In saying that, things may change over the next couple of months from those at the top. We've all heard it before and it gets quite tedious to hear the same promises and the same rhetoric from the same people. As such, the challenge remains and for those Rangers fans (like myself) who grew up with only success as a barometer it gets increasingly difficult to be positive and to believe in our club.

Nonetheless, Ibrox will be full again this season and we're more than capable of bringing back the good times. Another few signings will help facilitate that. As usual. I can't wait to find out.

In addition, the Rangers fans certainly cannot be accused of being glory hunters. The last 2 seasons have been woeful. The standard of football has been well below average, the match-day experience stale and generally value for money isn't too positive. We've not won the league for 2 years and haven't contested a final for longer. We're not at our best is a conservative way of describing things.

to be honest, we've been terrible since the great team of 2003 and that last day title win icon_biggrin.gif

2005 was just a bit of luck and Celtic bottling it pretty much, yeah I know it was great that Helicopter Sunday but it's been a little light of success for what has been a frustrating 7 years since MON took over at Celtic except for those 2 title wins and some Europe success

probably only two people to blame for that, our former manager before Alex McLeish and Sir David "smoke and mirrors club" Murray

Oh I would never claim the standard has been above woeful since the turn of the century but at least we have had the successes to keep an slight element of respectability in our trophy room.

There may well have been a bit of luck in those successes but we still had to do our bit and we should never underplay those achievements.

Like I say, no matter who was (and still is) to blame for our current troubles, the loyalty of the fans cannot be questioned.

Archived