The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

There are doubts over the fitness of Smith and his ability to recover from his problem. Hopefully he will be able to get it sorted as he looked very comfortable at left back, but to be fair to Papac, after a shaky start he has played well there.

Not heard much about Buffel either. I don't think we're missing him anyway.

Originally posted by Ter:

There are doubts over the fitness of Smith and his ability to recover from his problem. Hopefully he will be able to get it sorted as he looked very comfortable at left back, but to be fair to Papac, after a shaky start he has played well there.

Think this has to be Buffels last chance, if anyone is going to get a consistent season out of him its going to be Walter.

Follow Follow saying a friend of Alan Gow is reporting that Naismith deal is back on icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

McCulloch and JCD upfront would do me tonight, I can see it being McCulloch on his own in a 4-5-1 though - keep Nacho for the bench impact if needed

The 3 who finished the ICT match would do me. If McCulloch is up top on his own, he needs busy players round him to latch onto his knockdowns.

team tonight from the BBC website:

McGregor, Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar and Papac; Hemdani, Thomson, Ferguson, McCulloch, Beasley and Darcheville.

so that's Broadfoot in for Hutton who is suspended due to the red last week and JCD in for Boyd who is either on the bench or hasn't recovered

so Beasley/JCD supporting McCulloch as the lone striker or a 4-3-3? I'm thinking the former

don't have the subs though - probably Novo, Sebo, Boyd (if fit) Carroll as sub GK etc and a few others icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Ratinho:

that Jean-Claude Darcheville? Ex-Forest man?

If so I will be following your lot this season.

yup, signed for us in May on a bosman from Bordeaux

had a look to see what happened to him at Forest, not a nice read icon_frown.gif wife and his child died in a car crash before he moved and he couldn't settle at all

Also, excellent performance from the referee who for me was man of the match, such a rarity in europe these days.

indeed, compared to the card happy one we got last week or some of Clark's decisions at the weekend, based mostly on the clogger Ross Tokely icon14.gif

did what we had to do, happy enough with that despite being boring

We controlled the game and although I felt we sat a bit deep at times, we were solid enough and always looked like we could go up a gear if required.

Thought Thomson did very well - especially in the 2nd half - and Beasley took his goal superbly.

A reasonable start to the season and if we can sign Stevie Naismith tomorrow the squad is coming together nicely.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

You think thats going to happen then?

Aye!

But I thought Scott Brown was also going to happen... icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Would be happy to see Stevie come in.

When is Buffel going to be fit?

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Still crying out for a creative force in midfield. Role marked for a fit Buffel perhaps.

I think Whittaker will also help in that regard.

Means he can tuck in to allow other players (particularly Ferguson) to get forward...

I don't think we're going to be a particularly attractive footballing playing side but as long as it's effective and we keep winning, it's a good start for me... icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

I thought to myself why waste another opportunity with one of your **** poor efforts, but yay \o/

So I see you lot are already aware of what Beasley brings to the table in terms of finishing ability icon_biggrin.gif

Blind squirrel has to find the nut eventually ofc

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Zeta fans reported for monkey chants and missle throwing

Sanjeev Kholi says it was Rangers fans... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Apparently he was in Montenegro looking to expand his housing empire.

Tidy performance tonight, didn't do much more than we had to, but it was a banana-skin well avoided. Still not greatly convinced by Beasley, despite the goal. Has to want the ball more and have the confidence to go past a man.

Guest sav112
Originally posted by gavinkil:

Oh aye and is it just me or is Darchville not as fast as he was made out to be when he was signed.

I mean for someone known as the "rocket" the only thing that shines about him is his strength.

I‘ll give the guy a chance to impress but he looks like he’ll just trudge through SPL sides and get the odd goal. Not that creative looking at this point and certainly not a Dado clone.

I think Darcheville will do ok you have to give him time to settle, same with Beasley. I thought Beasley looked lively, he does have some pace and can deliver the ball but he's perhaps a bit lightweight?

Its really early days, and we haven't played a really tough match yet but I am liking the look of the side. There seems to be a confidence and camaraderie that hasn't been there since, well the last time Walter was here icon_wink.gif

Mind you, the last time I thought we had a decent looking side we ended up winning nothing so erm.....

Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinkil:

Oh aye and is it just me or is Darchville not as fast as he was made out to be when he was signed.

I mean for someone known as the "rocket" the only thing that shines about him is his strength.

I‘ll give the guy a chance to impress but he looks like he’ll just trudge through SPL sides and get the odd goal. Not that creative looking at this point and certainly not a Dado clone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you dont think he has pace? icon_eek.gif how many times did you sit in the stand at ibrox during pre season vs Ajax and Chelsea and Zeta and watch him running may i ask? the man has pace if you sat in the stand you would have seen it icon_razz.gif

it may have been over hyped by the name 'rocket' but he is the fastest player in our team and has a decent deal of pace especially considering hes in his 30s now icon_rolleyes.gif

anyway nice to see the heat being taken off the rangers fans tonight by those idiots of Zeta fans and there racist chants, be nice to see how uefa reacts, can see the headlines in tomorrows papers 'gerry mcnee: Rangers fans were the real culprits in the racist chants in Montenegro'

its really early days, and we haven't played a really tough match yet but I am liking the look of the side. There seems to be a confidence and camaraderie that hasn't been there since, well the last time Walter was here

bloody hell, when PM7 is optimistic, you know things are looking up icon_biggrin.gif

I reckon JCD has settled in okay, I think he's had a pre-season injury which he is just recovering from I think - and he does have a lot of pace to burn icon_wink.gif

because we weren't chasing the game tonight, Walter was obviously getting the guys to keep energy back for harder exploits, especially the big Europe game next week

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its really early days, and we haven't played a really tough match yet but I am liking the look of the side. There seems to be a confidence and camaraderie that hasn't been there since, well the last time Walter was here

bloody hell, when PM7 is optimistic, you know things are looking up icon_biggrin.gif

I reckon JCD has settled in okay, I think he's had a pre-season injury which he is just recovering from I think - and he does have a lot of pace to burn icon_wink.gif

because we weren't chasing the game tonight, Walter was obviously getting the guys to keep energy back for harder exploits, especially the big Europe game next week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you see the mounts of rangers fans gambling on buying flights from that game to the away game vs Belgrade, hope we get a repeat of the Kaunus situation, i know a guy who had bought a 4 day trip to Kaunus the day our draw was made vs them or Zeta, couldn't stop laughing at him when Zeta put them out icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

not what i've heard mate, my dad and Graeme Smiths dad drink together and to what Graeme has been saying, Smith isn't recovering from that injury and looks to be finished icon_frown.gif shame he was coming on to a great game before Fernando lets injure rangers best looking youngster in a while Ricksen got a hold of him icon_frown.gif

think most of us would be happier seeing Tallinn as the opponents, no disrespect intended, but Serbian and especially Red Star Belgrade (or Crvena Zvezda) seems to spell a lot of danger signs for me - despite me not knowing a lot about them

I remember seeing the FF threads when they thought Kanuas had won 4-1 as we were first told and then all of them being sick hearing Zeta had got the last minute goal to go through 5-4 on agg icon_biggrin.gif

Archived