The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

if we grabbed a goal, this game is killed off

a few techy moments in the first half, but so far so good - could maybe swap JCD and McCulloch around with the high balls that are getting played towards JCD as McCulloch is more likely to win a high ball than JCD icon_wink.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a Rangers fan but I play one on TV. (Nah. Not really)

Simple question here, so no flaming, for thee shall be flamed.

Anyway, has John Fleck got any irish relations? I'm sick and tired of losing good youngstersm or at least players with potential being snapped up by the Irish.

This is a sincere questions, so no bloody racial nonsense. (Not that I'm tarring all Old Fans with the same brush)

Excellent.

Few scarey moments but in the end we deserved to go through. There was so much in that game that in the past would have found us out, thoroughly professional performance. Well done McGregor who has proven that he is ready to join the list of Rangers goalkeeping legends. Which is probably going to far, but he deserves it for his patience in waiting to become first choice keeper.

I was glad Red Star didn't make it, a thoroughly unprofessional outfit. Their manager really needs to dress properly for these occasions icon_wink.gif

Actually I disagree jimbo, I though it was a great performance. Ok, it might not have been slick, silky football but I've seen allegedly more talented Rangers sides than this totally feck up at this stage SO many times. They did what they had to do, should probably have actually won by more in the end, but who cares.

McGregor's save from the arrogant left winger was the decider imo, once that happened I knew Rangers were through, Red Star are a terrible team.

I only hope Celtic go through, our co-efficient will be secured and we will both be in the groups at the same time for the first time(I think)

Dont think Rangers will do very well in the groups all the same, but its the getting there thats the important thing, getting the money, building on that etc.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlayerX:

So, that's a no or a yes to my question?

his place of birth was Glasgow, but I have no idea about the boy's family tree </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody hell, hate when people are in a world of their own and just ignore those around them. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for that, though. icon_smile.gif

Cuellar looked a bit nervous to start off with, but his 2nd half performance was great along with the rest of the defence

Ferguson's set piece deliveries were awful, but generally he was aright - big JCD upfront was superb though, along with McCulloch icon14.gif

McGregor was the top man though, brilliant handling and some top class saves

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Actually I disagree jimbo, I though it was a great performance. Ok, it might not have been slick, silky football but I've seen allegedly more talented Rangers sides than this totally feck up at this stage SO many times. They did what they had to do, should probably have actually won by more in the end, but who cares.

I think there were a few who underperformed, dont make this look like a moan, I'm delighted becquse were through. I just feel a few could have played better.

Hutton, Cuellar Papac and Ferguson werent at their best tonight imo.

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Dont think Rangers will do very well in the groups all the same, but its the getting there thats the important thing, getting the money, building on that etc.

Me either but then I didn't think we would do very well when we got out of the group stage a couple of seasons ago so who knows what will happen.

As you say, getting there was the main thing the money is a huge bonus. Lets just hope Celtic do it tomorrow as well icon14.gif

Originally posted by metlika:

I am delighted that we got through that has made my night, i was very afraid that Red Star would score quickly, it did not happen and thats great by the way when's the Draw?

Thursday at some point, probably 1pm UK time

Originally posted by TM:

I don't think either team would do well tbh, so it might be good enough just to get to the stages to get the money - and then maybe drop to the UEFA Cup (if that is still happening?)

It helps that were in the third pot.

We both want 2 bigger seeds that are playing qualifiers to go out for us both to go up a pot.

Benfica have a dodgy one in Copenhagen anyway, id love it if we sneaked into pot 2 though and Rangers got into pot 3

Correct. A thoroughly professional performance, job done.

Hope Celtic get fucked tomorrow. Screw the co-efficient, I want the money for ourselves.

Very pleasant. icon_smile.gif

Performance tonight highlighted many of the good things that we've seen since January - unity, physicality, discipline, the balance of youthful players' energy and stamina and the experienced players' lack of intimidation.

WS overestimated them at Ibrox as they were a very one-dimensional tame side in the end, but progression

was the most important thing tonight.

Heartening to see we've been written off in the group stages already. icon_biggrin.gif If WS can purge that caution a little at home (which he might given away goals mean less now), and providing the draw is generous, I suspect we will cause teams a few problems. One thing, we have a far more capable squad than the one that made the last 16 under Eck.

Originally posted by McD:

Heartening to see we've been written off in the group stages already. icon_biggrin.gif

Its always the cse, and its not a shock it was a celtic fan that said it, Hardly a surprise is it though.

If we add acouple more players and get Stevie Smith back fit we're in with a decent chance IMO, 8 game gone 3 goals lost and 6 clean sheets.

Were a sloid unit now and the players are all working for each other, we can beat anyone at Ibrox on our game, and we can also bring 3 points home from away games in teh Champions League too.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Heartening to see we've been written off in the group stages already. icon_biggrin.gif

Its always the cse, and its not a shock it was a celtic fan that said it, Hardly a surprise is it though.

If we add acouple more players and get Stevie Smith back fit we're in with a decent chance IMO, 8 game gone 3 goals lost and 6 clean sheets.

Were a sloid unit now and the players are all working for each other, we can beat anyone at Ibrox on our game, and we can also bring 3 points home from away games in teh Champions League too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasnt the only one. icon_smile.gif

Heh.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Not surprising at all, no. Let them get on with it. We'll just quietly keep on getting results.

Without wanting to take anything away from McLeish, the side he had which reached the last sixteen was pish. (Which actually probably says more about his managerial qualities I guess). This current side is already a hundred times better in so many ways its unreal.

You can't really blame Walter for being cautious. He's been there so many time with better Rangers sides who were expected to go through and didn't. We definately have the players to be a lot more creative, but that will come.

The only really huge disapointment tonight - we lost our 100% record icon_frown.gificon_wink.gif

You can't really blame Walter for being cautious.

I think he might have been a little blindsided by Red Star's heritage or their pre-match bluster or just the enormity of the tie and all the financial implications, but I really do think we could have put the tie to bed at Ibrox. Those closing 20 minutes were the only period over the 180 that we exerted any sort of real pressure in their half and we scored one with the chance of two or three more.

I think now we have a full six matches to express ourselves in, with the absurd away goal rule not as important, we can relax and look to play a little bit more football, especially at Ibrox.

Without wanting to take anything away from McLeish, the side he had which reached the last sixteen was pish.

We got a one-all draw in Porto with this team...

Waterreus, Murray, Kyrgiakos, Andrews, Ricksen, Lovenkrands, Ferguson, Hemdani, Alex Rae, Namouchi, Jeffers. Subs: Klos, Malcolm, Pierre-Fanfan, Hutton, Burke, Thompson, McCormack.

Namouchi and Jeffers ffs.

Originally posted by TM:

No1 priority was the title for me, Europe is the bonus that gives us the finance icon14.gif

although obviously I'd like both icon_cool.gif

Champions League qualification was the number 1 priority, for the cash boost it gives.

Celtic qualifying and us not being there was the nightmare scenario.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Hindsight says we could have put the tie to bed at Ibrox, however the team did an exceptionally professional job over the 2 legs

Absolutely, progression was most important as I said, but there are always those little things WS can look to improve on and learn from, even at his ripened age.

Delighted with that.

Nervous start but like McD says we settled quickly enough and in the second half especially, never really looked like conceding a goal. Red Star were reasonable enough but didn't have anything at all up front to trouble us.

Will also be gutted if Hemdani is allowed to leave. £1million is a joke for a fine midfield player and I fail to see where our cover is if Thomson or Ferguson get injured (which, let's face it, isn't altogether unlikely). I can only assume Hemdani wants to leave.

Come on the bears!

icon_cool.gif

I can only assume Hemdani wants to leave.

yeah I think that is probably it icon_frown.gif Thomson seems potentially a capable midfielder but Barry is not Hemdani, especially with the composed head and passing Brahim has

£1m is an absolute joke but it is Bain, possibly the worst at selling players in the world - I mean even Celtic got more for glass man Beattie although Mowbray is a "symphaiser to the cause"

Archived