The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Oh aye, if Gudge (or anyone else) wants this season's wee Blue Guide, email me with your address...

icon_smile.gif

just sent you my address icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Frankie icon14.gif

That's us won the league noo icon_biggrin.gif

Red Star Belgrade coach Milorad Kosanovic thought the best team had been eliminated after the Champions League qualifier against Rangers.

"We were unlucky not to go into the group stage of the Champions League, as we've shown in these two matches that we are better than Rangers," he said.

"Rangers used their enormous experience to stop our forwards.

"They were on the brink of conceding a goal at some stages, but they stayed calm and prevented us scoring."

Rangers left Belgrade with a goalless draw to add to the goal scored by Nacho Novo in the first leg in Glasgow.

"When you miss chances like we did in the first half, and when your only mistake, in the 90th minute of the first leg costs you a goal then you have to accept that you are out," added Kosanovic.

"In modern football, at this level, details decide matches.

"Still, I think my team gave their best in both games, maybe even played better then they can usually, but that wasn't enough to go through."

oh dear icon_frown.gif what happened to Hutton getting beat up? what happened to Rangers getting "trashed" icon_frown.gif

suck it up icon_cool.gif if JCD had finished that chance in the game, if McCulloch's shot had gone the other side of the net, then the game was over anyway, or if we had actually had some balls to attack at Ibrox, we could have been going there with a bigger lead

ach, I don't really care, just funny to watch the moaning icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

I wouldn't say Red Star were the better team over the two legs ffs icon_biggrin.gif

They had more of the play and came at us in the second leg and we allowed them to do that and defended well. They didn't really look all that threatening.

Nah, they weren't the better team.

Yes, the probably had the bulk of possession but other than one good chance and a couple of long range shots over the 2 legs they never really looked like scoring. For the vast majority of time our defence was extremely composed and because we played so deep, they struggled to get behind us.

Meanwhile, we played on the break and looked just as dangerous when we did get in and around their box.

OK, we were certainly not cavalier and exciting but we were conservative and professional. Good enough for me!

If it's being denied by Smith, then he is definitely off then!

IMO it would be a mistake to offload Hemdani unlees there is a lot of money on the table- he has proved in many an away game, especially in Europe, that he provides a defensive anchor in front of the back four, something which no-one else in the squad offers at the moment.

Guest sav112

Great result and great financially, we know the score that it was essential to enter the CL stages. I expect two signings if Hemdani does leave –I think it’s obvious he wants to move on so 1M for a player we got free and has been good player for the club can’t be bad.

I missed the second half as I was out at friends but before I got out the car McCulloch was being sick…..I was scared to put on my friends sky sports to get the final score!

Money in the Bank to a reported 10 Mil. icon_cool.gif

Pressure off the players. icon_smile.gif

Moral boost and confidence. icon_cool.gif

Clean sheet from a difficult tie. icon_wink.gif

A few new signings to add to a very capable squad. icon14.gif

It all good – Walter Walter give us a smile

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deathhead:

We are being linked with Jaures of auxerre again. Full back. We def need another full back. anyone know anything about him

He used to be pretty goo in CM 97/98 IIRC... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I signed him for Rangers, thats why Walter is after him icon_wink.gif

I've complied roughly our potental group members in the next round. I only know for sure pot 1 is 100% correct. There might be changes depending on the Sevilla/AEK result, but I assume Sevilla will make it:

Pot 1: Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal

Pot 2: Lazio, CSKA Moscow, Lyon, Valencia, Roma, Porto, Benfica or Sevilla

Pot 3: Marseille, Werder Bremen, PSV, Sporting, Shakhtar, Dynamo Kyiv or Fenerbahce (Celtic in this pot)

Pot 4: Slavia Prague, Besiktas, Steaua, Rosenborg, Stuttgart, Olympiacos and Schalke

Ach well, thats the way they prefer it so good luck to them. Actually I mean, bad luck to them what am I thinking!

Don't honestly care who we get. Anyone from the top pot bar Arsenal would be a nice match. If we're looking to progress we want winnable ties from the other two pots, but as we don't expect that we just want glamour.

Barcelona; Roma; Sporting

Avoiding teams like Shaktar, Kiev, Fener, CSKA cos no-one really likes those kinds of ties.

Theres a 50-50 chance we'll draw and English club mind.

Originally posted by Ter:

I want us to get a London team so that I can go to the game, preferably Arsenal as they are rubbish

Even they have spent more on one player than we have for our re-build. Arsenal are the dark horses this year, i'm sure of it, and i'd like to avoid them.

I'd prefer to get teams who expect to walkover us, because with such over-confidence they never will.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I just don't like Arsenal for some reason. Used to be a strong link between them and us though in the past, we played them in friendlies each season apparantly.

We still own part of their club as well... icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

I've complied roughly our potental group members in the next round. I only know for sure pot 1 is 100% correct. There might be changes depending on the Sevilla/AEK result, but I assume Sevilla will make it:

Pot 1: Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal

Pot 3: Marseille, Werder Bremen, PSV, Sporting, Shakhtar, Dynamo Kyiv or Fenerbahce (Celtic in this pot)

Pot 4: Slavia Prague, Besiktas, Steaua, Rosenborg, Stuttgart, Olympiacos and Schalke

Werder and PSV are in Pot 2, Lazio, CSKA, Stuttgart and Schalke aree in Pot 3, Shaktar and Kiev are in Pot 4. The Pots are listed here

Originally posted by celtic1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Werder and PSV are in Pot 2, Lazio, CSKA, Stuttgart and Schalke aree in Pot 3, Shaktar and Kiev are in Pot 4. The Pots are listed here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Fenerbache are also Pot 4. Not sure where your list came from icon_confused.gif

• SI Staff

These are the proper pots here ffs...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Pot 1 coef. Pot 2 coef.

------------------------ --- ------- ------------------------ --- -------

AC Milan (TH) Ita 133.808 Valencia *** Esp 99.374

FC Barcelona Esp 119.374 Olympique Lyon Fra 95.706

Liverpool *** Eng 112.618 FC Porto Por 89.107

Internazionale Ita 107.808 Sevilla/AEK *** 87.374

Arsenal *** Eng 104.618 PSV Eindhoven Ned 81.995

Real Madrid Esp 104.374 AS Roma Ita 78.808

Chelsea Eng 99.618 Benfica *** Por 67.107

Manchester United Eng 99.618 Werder Bremen *** Ger 63.640

Pot 3 coef. Pot 4 coef.

------------------------ --- ------- ------------------------ --- -------

Celtic *** Sco 62.064 Glasgow Rangers ** Sco 47.064

Schalke 04 Ger 60.640 Shakhtar Donetsk ** Ukr 44.726

VfB Stuttgart Ger 58.640 Besiktas ** Tur 43.791

Steaua Bucuresti ** Rom 55.255 Olympiakos Piraeus Gre 42.415

CSKA Moscow Rus 53.920 Dinamo Kiev *** Ukr 38.726

Sporting CP Lisbon Por 52.107 Fenerbahçe *** Tur 36.791

Lazio Roma *** Ita 51.808 Slavia Praha ** Cze 32.851

Olympique Marseille Fra 51.706 Rosenborg BK ** Nor 31.509</pre>

Arsenal/Chelsea

PSV

Steaua

That'll do me.

If we're talking glamour then I would like any of:

Real/Barca

Roma/Lyon

Schalke/Stuttgart

Us

If we're talking about progressing I would like any of:

Arsenal

Porto/AEK/PSV or Benfica

CSKA/Sporting/Steaua

Us

Now that progresing group would be boring as, apart from the BoB game.

be nice if we got Real as we'd avoid Sevilla/Valencia in pot 2 icon_cool.gif as much as Real are going to be tough, I have bad memories of Valencia in that CL campaign icon_wink.gif

although they were absolutely brilliant icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

As I said last night in the other thread

Want

Real Madrid ( may aswell get a good trip out it)

PSV

Marseille

Rangers

Will get

AC Milan

Sevilla

CSKA

Rangers

You want Marseille for the glamour, as they'll make a good game of it this season with their signings (look like the only French team to challenge Lyon this year).

Archived