The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

That has to be the most difficult group i've seen.

How did we fair against Stuttgart a few years back?

won 2-1 at Ibrox and played pretty crap

lost 2-0 away and played awful icon_biggrin.gif

Perrin is ruining Lyon in the "autopilot" job, so maybe we might get something there - maybe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its hard to predict, despite the idiots in the other thread who have never even seen Rangers play and don't know what colours they even wear ffs. But based on how the side looks atm, if the defence remains strong we can mibbe, mibbe, sneak 3rd place - does that still get UEFA?

And even if we don't at least we're there, which is more than a lot of other clubs!

Barca > I doubt we'd get anything there

Lyon > never know at home, doubt away unless Perrin has destroyed them enough

Stuttgart > maybe a win at home possibly, not sure away

all teams are certainly good enough, so we will have to get a bit of luck and play to the top level to get to the UEFA Cup

Once you get through to the group stages of the CL, I doubt that the draw makes a lot of difference, as all the games will be hard regardless of the opposition, especially if you are in pot 4

We should approach the groups with a healthy dose of realism and be delighted if we finish up above 4th in the group, but enjoy the experience nevertheless.

gah, bad time to play Barca, I know most times are bad, but if we could have had them last at Ibrox with them already through then maybe they might not have played the full team icon_wink.gif

chance to get something from the first game though

Absolutely delighted with the draw.

None of this hoping for an easy draw pish - we're in the biggest club competition in the world, and I want us to be tested against the biggest teams.

And they don't get bigger than Barcelona - who were the pot A team I wanted.

Can't wait to hit the Nou Camp!

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

none

Grrr there better be at least two icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there are to be any signings, I am not convinced that Naismith should be one of them- where would he play? I would have though another creative midfielder would be a better option

Originally posted by DrZed:

5% of stadiums capacity has to be made available to away support.

So that means rangers will be getting about 4,500 tickets for the Nou Camp.

How do you go about getting tickets for away games?

Barcelona wont think of us as a big side so i can see us getting over 10,000 tickets for this game even in a section set out for Barcelona, they will no doubt only bring about 60,000 or 70,000 fans in a 90,000 seated stadium, can see us getting quite a few tickets for this game at least double your predicted

Must admit I'm delighted with that draw... icon_cool.gif

Obviously, we have minimal chance of going through and even finishing 3rd would be a fine achievement given the quality of the group. However 2 years ago, we were given little chance against Inter and Porto yet were only beaten by a deflected goal in one game.

This is an even stiffer test so it's best if we approach it as positively as possible. We're in the process of building a new team with some young Scottish players. Being tested against the likes of Barca, Lyon and Stuttgart can only help the development of the McGregors, Huttons, Smiths, Whittakers, Thomsons and Boyds. The more experienced players will be eager to improve their reputations and every one of them will enjoy the test.

From a supporter's perspective, well these are the kind of games the CL is all about. Yes, qualification from the group is what the competition is all about and that should always be our aim. However, if we don't make it, we'll still see some great players and some great games over the piece.

Can we qualify? Probably not. Can we finish 3rd? Yes. Will the experience make our team stronger? Yes. Will this raise our profile and make us more money? Definitely.

Now to think of a way to persuade my wife to let me go to Barca less than a month after our first child is born... icon_wink.gif

yeah I saw that, was just saying pish off to the idea of wanting to sign Faye

his agent is Wullie as well, great icon_cool.gif and he was one of the deals that was "dodgy" in that raid thing, even better icon14.gif

Right lads, looking at flights here for the Barca away match. Seems the cheapest is to fly from Glasgow to London, then on To Barcelona and vice versa for the way back. That arrives us in Barcelona about 3 in the afternoon. Anyone know of any better deals? That's with the Spanish company Iberia btw.

Also, how would I go about getting tickets for the match? Bare in mind I'm not in any supporters club.

Well said Frankie, and this will also be a good learning experience for our managerial team for I have little doubt in my mind that a certain Alistair McCoist is being groomed as the next manager when Sir Walter of Smith hangs up his boots.

Amde Faye can feck off tbh.

Originally posted by TM:

can't believe we haven't played Barcelona.....

well according to Sky Sports anyway

Wow I actually had to check that and it seems its true. When you think both sides have been involved in Europe for nigh on 50 years each, it is amazing.

guess Hemdani doesn't want to be the European player this year icon_frown.gif too bad as he's the best passer we have and his composure is 2nd to none

U21 rule smoking him as well, but I guess Walter doesn't want to use him in the SPL as he seems Thomson as the better alternative

• SI Staff
Now to think of a way to persuade my wife to let me go to Barca less than a month after our first child is born...

Maybe get a chance to have that pint if we both make it over to Barcelona. I'm considering staying for the weekend as well, make a little holiday of it if I can.

Hopefully my mate will be able to get tickets sorted!

Originally posted by Ter:

Maybe get a chance to have that pint if we both make it over to Barcelona. I'm considering staying for the weekend as well, make a little holiday of it if I can.

Hopefully my mate will be able to get tickets sorted!

Come up tomorrow. I have a spare ticket for the game. icon_wink.gif

Archived