The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone had told me that we could have a point tonight I would have taken that. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined we could beat them 3-0, OK so they aren't playing their best but they still have a lot of quality players.

MoM for me probably Hemdani, so calm and collected all game. Everyone was brilliant though.

YASSSSS.

Gutted I only stuck a couple of quid on us now icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thought we might get something from tonight but not that! Superb performance from back to front, stunning result, stunning.

Couldn't give a **** about Lyon's problems, they're the French champions, full of cracking players and top of Ligue 1 and we just totally mastered them tonight. On their own patch. Absolutely magic.

Waht a performance- everyone worked so hard closing down and 3 great goals- McCullochs header reminded me of Andy Gray!

Can just see the comments in the FM GQ forum- my team had 27 attempts on goal and hit the woodwork 3 times yet lost 3-0. This game cheats!

amazing, simply astonishing icon_biggrin.gif is THAT seriously the team that played against Motherwell on Saturday (apart from maybe a few changes)? icon_biggrin.gif

don't really care about Lyon, didn't give us a chance at all tonight like 99% of people and that performance was just magnificent icon14.gif

Rangers mirroring the high in Scottish football at the moment, similar league we faced to Scotland and we are kicking well above our weight when nobody including Gers fans ourselves gave us no chance - possibly the best performance I've seen from us in Europe in years, even better than the Advocaat days when we had a much, much better team icon_cool.gif

Guest sav112
to think we all moaned about McCulloch coming in.

He’ll pay his way no bother, he’s been a standout player this season. His work rate and probably what he adds to the dressing room spirit is priceless, another Walter signing that’s no longer in question.

Fantastically enjoyable game, just wish we could stop with the poor performances before Europe like the Motherwell game. Ok Boyd missed about four good chances at Motherwell but he better start taking them as we have others that will, Cousin for starters.

Walter Walter give us a smile icon_biggrin.gif

on the day the group stages were announced I said:

I reckon we don't either, but I reckon we could get a couple of wins somewhere

icon_cool.gif didn't think those "couple of wins" would be this early though icon_biggrin.gif

although I do remember when we bashed Sturm Graz 5-0 at Ibrox and then went away to Greece and won 1-0 to Panathinaikos, ended up bottom of the group in the end, so we'll keep our feet on the ground for now icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by TM:

although I do remember when we bashed Sturm Graz 5-0 at Ibrox and then went away to Greece and won 1-0 to Panathinaikos, ended up bottom of the group in the end, so we'll keep our feet on the ground for now icon_wink.gif

Think you might be getting your failed CL campaigns mixed up mate. Sure the Sturm Graz group had Monaco (van Bronckhorst \o/) and Galatasaray.

A fantastic result. Probably our best away performance since Valdiklavkaz.

3 great goals, clean sheet, the big lucky bounces, in our favor what more can you ask for?

Bet the French wish they never see a Scottish side again. icon_biggrin.gif

I put £8 quid on Rangers to win tonight and got £100. 200-1 on a 3-0 Rangers win, bet some lucky bastard put a few quid on that as well. icon_mad.gif

Oh well, who cares half way to qualfiaction now!

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Think you might be getting your failed CL campaigns mixed up mate. Sure the Sturm Graz group had Monaco (van Bronckhorst \o/) and Galatasaray. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah yes, you are right - it was Monaco icon_smile.gif

France probably scared of Scotland now, 3 in a row icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

ah yes, you are right - it was Monaco icon_smile.gif

That was a great night, super goal too. Real backs to the wall stuff, unlike the control we showed tonight. Still reeling at it all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tugay had one of the best performances i've seen from a Rangers player that night at sweeper.

we messed up that group because we got our keeper injured (Klos? I think it was him) and big Jesper had to come in and had a nightmare against Graz in Austria, although we almost pulled it off in the game against Monaco at Ibrox - a certain Kenneth Miller scoring that night I believe icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

we messed up that group because we got our keeper injured (Klos? I think it was him) and big Jesper had to come in and had a nightmare against Graz in Austria, although we almost pulled it off in the game against Monaco at Ibrox - a certain Kenneth Miller scoring that night I believe icon_biggrin.gif

We were up with about 20 mins to go and that big fud Amoruso made a twat of it if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> love being wrote off before a ball is kicked.... keep it up lads

I dint make any predictions, but I did say this. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

My input at the time:

Heartening to see we've been written off in the group stages already. icon_biggrin.gif

Long may the writing off continue!

Guest sav112

Happy with the Cash as well, 750K for a win these days?

Ps all those winning on bets, you get yourself down to the shops and buy some gers merchandise you owe it to them icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by jimbo22:

We were up with about 20 mins to go and that big fud Amoruso made a twat of it if I remember correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup it was icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by TM:

Threw that last game away. Terrible way to end that campaign. Remember the frustration of SG and Galatasaray knocking the ball about for the last 15 minutes not making an attempt to go forward.

Threw that last game away. Terrible way to end that campaign. Remember the frustration of SG and Galatasaray knocking the ball about for the last 15 minutes not making an attempt to go forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a season ticket at the time and I can remember wanting to boot Amoruso about Govan after the game

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I still Barca will hump us fwiw, they are a scarily good side.

BUT if we beat them, I never said that ok icon_wink.gif

were gonna be second after 4 games abyway.... Lyon/Stuttgart's games will be interesting.

i'm expecting 0 points from the barca games,

German champions beaten. French champions beaten. Surely we can beat the Spanish runners up easily enough...? icon_wink.gif

What a fantastic result and performance last night. 3 superb goals and no-one can say our win wasn't deserved. Other than the first 5 minutes were we looked a little nervy, we coped extremely well with everything the French through at us. Indeed, it's a huge compliment to our defence that all of Lyon's half-chances came from 25 yard shots.

In midfield, despite an off-form Ferguson, we worked incredibly hard and the spoliing tactic of Hemdani once again worked a treat. Special praise for Kevin Thomson though as I thought he was quite simply outstanding. Beasley and McCulloch also worked the flanks and the wee American was particularly good.

Up front, Cousin showed that he is a fine, fine player. Supply him with the right kind of ball (ie to his feet) and like JCD, he'll hold onto it, link with others and score goals. Delighted for him!

All in all, one of the best European nights ever for Rangers fans and I hope we can now build on it in the SPL and make a strong challenge on both fronts. icon14.gif

In European terms, you have to go back to season 1974-75 (2-5 defeat against Borussia Moenchengladbach in the UEFA Cup) to find such a heavy defeat.

For Lyon in European competition and it’s the first defeat of Lyon in the group stages since the defeat by Ajax (0-2) in 2003-04.

Totally agree with Frankie, it's always hard to single out players in such a match but Kevin Thomson was nothing short of brilliant. Papac also deserves special mention, he's really doing well out there on the left.

I thought Alan Hutton was a bit ropey at times actually, but there was always someone there to cover and thats what I love about this team. Hell even McCulloch was back defending.

Alan McGregor made two fantastic saves, and although Lyon moan about hitting the woodwork - thats what it's there for and to be honest they didn't deserve it anyway.

I know Ter said in the other thread he didn't think we played that well but I thought we were magnificent. We were the away team, you have to expect a side of Lyon's quality - and despite what the numpties say, Lyon still do have a fair bit of quality - to make chances which they did, but the look in Juninho's eyes near the end said it all.

Ronaldinho came to Ibrox and was sent packing, Van Nilstelrooy, remember him with PSV? Messi will be next icon_cool.gif

Well probably not but you can always dream......

Archived