The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers are so bloody frustrating - they should have won this game tonight. The team only reacts to the crowd but the crowd were too tense, nervous and caught up in the action (understandable tbf) to make Ibrox a fortress tonight - when the crowd did make some noise, Barca were totally flustered and the Rangers players got a lot more confidence going forward - it. Still, seven points from the opening three games is bang on - a home win and two more draws will do very nicely.

Hutton was immense tonight - totally echo that thought.

Nations near the SPL in the coefficients faltered tonight too - things are canny sweet at the moment!

I think if we had opened up more (ie, a partner for Cousin and Novo/McCulloch not playing) we could have created more, but then we'd have probably got opened up more and lost a goal at least

actually can't wait to see Cousin and JCD upfront tbh, the strength in that partnership icon_cool.gif

The thing about Cuellar, considering he is Spanish, he looks sort of ungainly in his movement, he often lunges at balls (which tbf he wins 99% of the time), he'd rather just knock the ball out than try anything silky, but his judgement is so good, as is his positioning and his willingness to attack the ball. Big, strong ****er too obviously. Great player, perfect for the SPL. I'd be in love if it weren't for that ungainly brace.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Cueller fb icon_cool.gif

Bargain of the season.

Just as long as we don’t sell him for a huge profit, although he has to be enjoying the football up here. The EPL will no Doubt be keep tabs on him as well as Hutton. icon_rolleyes.gif

Fantastic result,Barca are one if not the best team out there so keeping a clean sheet was impressive.

If only Baz had been a few feet forward on that goal. Got to say had a few great chances there, I’m thinking Dam we should have won that and its blooming Barca! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh God we could have nicked it. It would have been the steal of the century, however I'll take a point after getting battered (literally in the case of Abidal) all over the pitch by one of the best teams in Europe.

Now, if they could just get on the front foot in the Nou Camp, then we'd be home and hosed! icon_biggrin.gif

A big well done to the boys in blue.

Originally posted by Xoffer:

Moderators: game bug

Rangers 0-0 Barcelona. That's a bit unrealistic innit! I'll need a new shirt now that my heart's pounded a hole in this one.

There was a moment near the start of the second half where Goal Attempts were displayed on stv and it was something like 2-15 and my first thought was FM.

Also, we just drew with Barcelona and how low key has the reaction been? Not moaning, just shows how far we've progressed as regards European expectations.

Also, we just drew with Barcelona and how low key has the reaction been? Not moaning, just shows how far we've progressed as regards European expectations.

And some people thinking we could have won icon_eek.gif

Tbf we could have, but in the end a draw is great.

Excellent result... icon14.gif

Barca were always going to have the bulk of possession but I think generally we dealt with them very well. We sat deep as usual so that reduced the chances of Henry getting in behind us. Messi and Ronaldinho never really looked that dangerous and while we rode our luck at times, generally we can be happy overall.

Also thought we came into the game in the latter stages of the second half. Cousin was unlucky not to score, as was Fergie from the big man's cross. Cousin really was sensational tonight - he led the line magnificently, showed a great touch and coped with anything physical Barca threw at him. While it's hard to ignore any of the defence for MoM, Cousin gets it for me.

Puts us in with a great chance of qualification.

I thought Cousin looked a bit disinterested on Saturday in the OF game with the front man lone role, but he looked like he was revelling in it tonight

seemed to get the better of Milito and Thuram, and pretty much anyone who had a go at him most times icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Old Git:

Shhhh. Don't say the Q word out loud!

Mate, even if we don't, like Scotland's efforts in Euro 08 qualifying, we can be very proud of our work so far. 3 games and 7 points isn't bad going against the standard of opposition.

It looks as if it will come down to the final match but we are capable of getting more points before then.

Can't wait to find out!

Originally posted by Old Git:

Frankie, Trust me I think we have an excellent chance, and have done brilliant so far, just don't like the Q word, it's got way too many letters. icon_biggrin.gif

Tell me about it - thank goodness for Firefox spell-checking.. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by McD:

Remember lads.... "two points maximum" from this group icon_biggrin.gif

It seems 'ratboy', Hutton the diver ( icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ) and shaky Weir are doing not too badly so far.

Of course, that's only due to the officials.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Of course, that's only due to the officials.

And none of the teams we play actually being "bothered" of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're not as good as they used to be... icon_wink.gif

Or on an off-day.

We really are the luckiest side in the world to keep on getting these wonderful teams on off-days.

That's it. I've had enough of you teasing me.

*Refuses to shake McD's hand*

*McD reported to admin for spitting*

Or on an off-day.

We really are the luckiest side in the world to keep on getting these wonderful teams on off-days.

Nah, obvious barca/gers/masonic, pre arranged 0-0 draw conspiracy this time.

Did you not notice the way Barca were passing the ball about towards the end, in there

Originally posted by kerrski:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Or on an off-day.

Nah, obvious barca/gers/masonic, pre arranged 0-0 draw conspiracy this time.

Did you not notice the way Barca were passing the ball about towards the end, in there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orange Strips

I must emit I had a doubt over McGregor in goal but so far he’s done fantastically well, the best in the country just now. Fair play he has came in and why would you go out and buy a big name keeper. If he keeps developing Scotland will have two first class keepers for years.

Felt for Adam tonight, think he was a bit in awe of Barca.

• SI Staff
I was fearing Papac against Messi, but he passed with flying colours

That was my main worry. Apart from the time he got megged he coped well, and kept Messi pretty quiet. And, I'm sure I saw him do the "Ronaldinho" foot flick thing, but I might have been imagining it.

Mon Sasa! Hope Hemdani is back for the Nou Camp now that Thomson is suspended.

happy to take the draw etc but I can't have been the only one a wee bit disappointed when we won a free kick in their half in the 89th minute and Baz opted to play it back into our half instead of getting a couple of men into the box and looking to nick it.

They'll put 4 past us over there, but it's a bit of a freebie for us anyway as a loss there makes no real difference to our chances.

• SI Staff
They'll put 4 past us over there, but it's a bit of a freebie for us anyway as a loss there makes no real difference to our chances

Yeah, just like my mate who said we would be 3-0 down after 20 minutes last night and I told him if that was the case I would eat my own testicles and come home.

I doubt we'll even lose 3-0 over there. We'll be our usual stubborn self and be hard to break down. Barring some individual brilliance from Barcelona players (which they are certainly capable of) I don't think we're going to suffer a heavy loss. Barring the Hearts game earlier in the season we haven't lost that many goals, but that game was a bit of a nightmare all round.

We're going there with absolutely no expectations of a win so there is going to be no pressure on the players. I think all we need is a draw at home to Lyon in the last game and we're through. If Lyon beat Stuttgart at home on the same night then we go there with them having no chance of even getting to the UEFA Cup.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Or on an off-day.

That's it. I've had enough of you teasing me.

*Refuses to shake McD's hand*

*McD reported to admin for spitting* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's really refreshing to read and shows you care icon_biggrin.gif

I said we wouldn't lose last night. I should have said we'd win icon_biggrin.gif

No way have we qualified yet of course, however if Stuttgart lose in Lyon we've secured 3rd place whatever happens and few non Rangers minded (and even a few Rangers minded icon_biggrin.gif) people ever saw that happening. For what it's worth I can see anything other than a loss in the Nou Camp, it will almost certainly be the same type of game as last night but can we really survive another 90 minutes like that, I doubt it.

However, there is no reason that I can think of why we can win in Stuttgart - both Barca and Lyon already have - and also win at home to Lyon, to complete a group most people predicted '2 points max' having dropped only four. Of course, it could all go tits up still we are Rangers after all and we've seen it happen so many times, but the spirit of this side - character as Jock Wallace would say - is superb atm. (Probably lose to Dundee United now of course icon_rolleyes.gif)

it will almost certainly be the same type of game as last night but can we really survive another 90 minutes like that, I doubt it.

probably similar to France V Scotland, with the idea of trying to pass through us instead of having long range shots, Cousin to hit a 35 yard winner then icon_cool.gif

I don't really understand why teams do that, I know Barca are one of the best teams at keeping the ball and passing, but some of the stuff they were doing last night was actually almost showing disrespect at times - the wee flicks etc.

I wonder if Ronaldinho was watching Papac at the end though, should get him doing motion capture for FIFA 09 with the trick he pulled off icon_biggrin.gif

Watched the game yesterday on ESPN. Not much to add, a great result. Fantastic in defense and towards the end when your players finally realised that they were allowed to attack too I thought you might even snatch a winner.

The stand out though was Hutton, the lad is unbelievable. To think i've seen so many people, not Rangers fans, moan about him and claim he's not good enough for Scotland, etc. The guy has been immense in every game i've seen him play in this season. Take it he's one of the lads who's come up through Murray Park yeah?

Pity my hopes of wee Nacho scoring didn't happen, maybe he's just saving it till the Nou Camp though icon_wink.gif

I think we must have had Hutton's twin or something last year, the improvement has been unbelievable - certainly the most improved for us in the last 6 months, maybe the most improved player in Scotland as well I'd add

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Hutton has been immense since Le Guen dropped him for Bardsley. Well Done Paul icon_biggrin.gif

You're right mate. A lot of bears credit Smith for his improvement but Hutton started his excellent run of form before Smith actually arrived.

Before his leg break he was also in fine fettle before losing his fitness, his confidence (and that of the fans) and his place. The turn around in his fortunes is down to his own incredible belief and hard work.

A key player in defence and attack for us (and now Scotland also).

Originally posted by jimbo22:

To be fair, Barca had a lot of chances, but how many times was McGregor really underpressure? Not a lot.

Possession and territory isn't the same as chances.

For all their movement and interplay, which was a joy to watch at times, Barcelona didn't really create much in the way of clear cut chances. The Gudjonssen shot aside, everything else they had came from set pieces.

If anything, we actually created the more clear cut chances.

Now, a 1-1 in Barcelona to go top of the group would do nicely...icon_biggrin.gif Though we can actually qualify even if we lose our last 3 games, as long as results go our way.

Archived