The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What kind of message does it send to other premier league teams when we play the same tactics against teams like Hibs and Dun Utd that we play against Barca. We're giving teams too much respect.

The scary thing I would be worried about is the fact, when you played us last time you were more attack minded than you have been in a while. At to be fair, and I might be bias, we are by far the most attack minded side in the SPL, no other club will this season go to Celtic Park, Ibrox or play one of the Old Firm at home by playing 4-3-3.

Expect more of the same on Wednesday. See you all there

Smith: Faye not struggling to adapt

Rangers manager Walter Smith insists Amdy Faye is not struggling to adapt to life in the SPL despite his limited appearances this season.

The 30-year-old Charlton midfielder was a surprise capture when he joined on a season-long loan on transfer deadline day.

He made his debut a fortnight later against Hearts at Tynecastle but was taken off after just 45 minutes as Rangers slumped to a 2-1 defeat.

Faye was once again the player substituted at half-time against Dundee United on Sunday having been a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up for the trip to Tannadice.

In fact, the only full game he has played since his arrival at Ibrox was the CIS Insurance Cup victory over Third Division outfit East Fife.

But Smith was keen to defend the player, claiming: "He has actually had two really awkward games to play in, away at Tynecastle and away at Tannadice.

"Both are very difficult places to go and play in and you have got to appreciate that factor.

"If we hadn't been a goal down against United, I wouldn't have taken him off. I had to do something more in an attacking sense at the start of the second half to try to mix the game up a bit and that's why I made the substitution."

You could have fooled me Walter.

Originally posted by ATW:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What kind of message does it send to other premier league teams when we play the same tactics against teams like Hibs and Dun Utd that we play against Barca. We're giving teams too much respect.

The scary thing I would be worried about is the fact, when you played us last time you were more attack minded than you have been in a while. At to be fair, and I might be bias, we are by far the most attack minded side in the SPL, no other club will this season go to Celtic Park, Ibrox or play one of the Old Firm at home by playing 4-3-3.

Expect more of the same on Wednesday. See you all there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Knowing us, we'll win on wednesday then draw against ICT on Saturday. icon_frown.gif

*touches wood*

I was hoping that Faye article would have 3 words - "rubbish, loan and terminated" icon_frown.gif

might be tough games to play away, but he's probably similar at home as well. Shows the confidence when he's been subbed twice at HT and was nowhere near the last 2 European teams for Lyon and Barca (might have been a unused sub though), although he came on against Stuttgart and walked into players, gave the ball away icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff
I really hope Smith uses Wednesday to rest players and give some fringe/youth players a chance to show what they can do. Lets treat the League Cup with the contempt it deserves.

Burke and Ehiogu likely to play.

Disappointing that we're still not likely to see the likes of Gow (played today for the reserves in a 2-2 draw with Celtic) or Buffel.

Thank god we can bank on 9 more points against Celtic though

No good if you lose every match after a Champions League game, especially since it would be an almost total failure if you failed to get out of the group now (impressive by the way)

I just looked up Faye on FM and I hope that he is not earning what the game says he is- £20K per week!!

Just goes to show how much the team misses Hemdani in the holding role in midfield.

Anybody heard if and when Buffel will be fit and available.

so....Motherwell in the CIS Cup QF tonight

Rangers team is:

McGregor

Hutton-Cuellar-Weir-Papac

Beasley-Ferguson-Thomson-McCulloch

Novo-Boyd

quasimodo will have his team up for it, so we will have to match them, the attitude is going to have to be right as we have lost too many away games and we don't need another one

• SI Staff

Sounds like the ref has had an absolute shocker.

Been missing obvious fouls, booked Ferguson for nothing and denied us a stone wall penalty.

HT: Motherwell 0-1 Rangers

we are going to lose this one I reckon, Brines will probably end up giving a penalty or something to them

he's had an absolute shocker in the first half and really shows how terrible the standard of refereeing is in Scotland now we don't have people like Hugh Dallas. I mean I wasn't the biggest fan of Hugh tbh, but looking at ones like Thomson, Richmond, MacDonald, Brines and I'm sure there are others - I'd have him back

still back to the game and we've played okay, I think 4-4-2 is definitely the right tactics to play with Boyd upfront and good to see Nacho scoring

2-1 now, apparently McGregor had the ball in his hands, then the ball was bundled out of his hands and into the net and the goal was given

the SFA must punish Brines for this, he has been absolutely abysmal tonight, completely shocking

played two minutes over the alotted time as well, please get rid of Brines icon13.gif

anyway, good performance tonight, 4-4-2 showing it's the right formation to use, Boyd and Novo were class tonight along with Baz icon_cool.gif

In the Semis and it looks like a certain other team won't be, happy Halloween icon_cool.gif

thought Boyd sounded like he had a good game, leading the line and most times the commentators were mentioning Ferguson

good to see Nacho and Boyd grabbing goals though, should boost the confidence levels

• SI Staff

I heard them say on the radio that it was one of the worst refereeing displays they have ever seen.

Think there were six Motherwell players booked ffs and it wasn't even a nasty game.

Have to say I think Walter wanted a win, other wise fringe players might have got a look in. After the last game it’s too important to get a win under your belt and going out of a cup would be a disaster. He probably thought the fringe players got a good run out in the 2-2 reserve game with Celtic.

Great to actually play two up front…..

Had the Celtic game on and Hearts deserved there win easy, very hard working unit tonight and anyway Celtic had Snow on so that’s worth a goal from the start. God did Celtic pay money for that guy! icon_biggrin.gif

Beasley-Ferguson-Thomson-McCulloch

I know Beasley can play wide but is that the best positions for McCulloch?

I just wish we had one actual great winger. Looks like Walter is just filling in a player to a position he feels he cant leave out…..

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Happy enough we won, but would have liked to have seen some fringe type players used. Really, really don't give a crap about this 'competition'.

I think if we had won on Saturday and were up there at the top of the league, Smith may have rested some players. I suspect, however, he rightly decided that the Gers support would have crucified him if they had lost 2 in a row, despite what the competition was. Gers fans do not accept deteat in any game played, so on balance I think he got it right, especially as our friends from the East End didnt quite make it.

Originally posted by ATW:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What kind of message does it send to other premier league teams when we play the same tactics against teams like Hibs and Dun Utd that we play against Barca. We're giving teams too much respect.

The scary thing I would be worried about is the fact, when you played us last time you were more attack minded than you have been in a while. At to be fair, and I might be bias, we are by far the most attack minded side in the SPL, no other club will this season go to Celtic Park, Ibrox or play one of the Old Firm at home by playing 4-3-3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Hughes and John Collins say hi.

Hearts face Gers after mix-up

Hearts will play Rangers in the CIS Insurance Cup semi-finals after a procedural error plunged the draw into farce.

The draw was held at the Scottish Parliament in the afternoon, by Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond and a representative of the sponsors, in the company of Presiding Officer Alex Fergusson.

However, an apparent bungle concerning the numbers for the teams meant they were told the wrong opponents.

Rangers were informed they would play Aberdeen, while Dundee United were understood to be Hearts' opponents.

However, the mistake has now been corrected and Dundee United will now face Aberdeen.

Hearts' reward for their victory over Celtic is a semi-final meeting with Rangers.

"This was a genuine error and I can only apologise for the confusion caused," Fergusson said.

"We have worked as quickly as possible with the Scottish Football League to resolve the situation.

"As a lifelong Stranraer fan I think everyone can be assured that there was no ulterior motive."

I actually prefer Hearts tbh. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Happy enough we won, but would have liked to have seen some fringe type players used. Really, really don't give a crap about this 'competition'.

Since Souness arrived the League Cup has been vital in setting the tone for our season.

We've won 11 of the 21 competitions - and only 1 of those 11 was in isolation - the other 10 triumphs have been accompanied by at least 1 other trophy.

On the 10 occassions we've failed to win the league cup, we've gone trophyless in 5 of those seasons.

• SI Staff

I had a dream last night that we beat Barcelona 3-1 in the Nou Camp icon_biggrin.gif

The sad thing is that I was watching it in a Spanish pub, so that's me screwed for getting a ticket when I'm over there icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

I had a dream last night that we beat Barcelona 3-1 in the Nou Camp icon_biggrin.gif

The sad thing is that I was watching it in a Spanish pub, so that's me screwed for getting a ticket when I'm over there icon_frown.gif

I think we should all have some of what you were on last night- it might help the pain! icon_wink.gif

Archived