The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably rather we had to win the game against Lyon tbh, bit similar to the Scotland/Italy game in a way I mean

having to get a draw is always dangerous ground and Lyon are much better than Stuttgart - although I'm not sure if they will have Vercoutre in goal or Coupet will be back, I heard he was 4-5 months out at August so that would make his comeback be quite soo

2nd half for the first 20 minutes was shocking, surprised it was only 2-1 then we got the goal due to the mistake and both teams looked likely to take the lead, good goal from them to win it though

• SI Staff

All we need is a draw at home. Now I have *****y pants.

We should have gone for it tonight and there is no way JCD should have been on the pitch as long as he was. Clearly not ready. And Cousin was worse when he came on.

I actually thought we did OK last night...? icon_confused.gif

Lost 2 bad goals and made a few unforced passing errors but other than that we gave them a good game on the counter creating a fair amount of chances in the process.

Did feel Smith should have taken off Hemdani in the last 20mins and went for it but we'd done OK up until then under the 4-5-1 system so can understand why he was reluctant to change it.

So far this CL campaign has been pretty good. Let's hope we can qualify by getting a result against Lyon at home. Even if we don't, we'd still done better than we though we would and the experience some of the players will have obtained from playing against this calibre of team will stand us in good stead for the future.

Originally posted by Frankie:

So far this CL campaign has been pretty good. Let's hope we can qualify by getting a result against Lyon at home. Even if we don't, we'd still done better than we though we would and the experience some of the players will have obtained from playing against this calibre of team will stand us in good stead for the future .

Future is the key word. If we manage to get out of this group then its a great achievement, consdiering where we were last season, and the fact everyone (including myself) gave us a snowballs chance in hell!

With the basis of a good young squad, all we need is a left back, a replacement center back for when Weir packs it in, and one or two creative flair players.

With Murray beginning to part with some cash, some valuable assets in players who could easily go from anywhere between 3-8 million each, and a promising youth set up, surely everyone is the future looks bright.

• SI Staff
Never really understood people always getting on Thomson's back, Adam gave the ball away twice as much and was on the pitch less time

Adam always has and probably always will give the ball away and it has cost us in the past as well. He also gets beaten too easily, as shown in the lead up to their second goal. A bit of a shame as if he improved that side of his game he would be a much much better player.

Originally posted by Ter:

We should have gone for it tonight and there is no way JCD should have been on the pitch as long as he was.

With 2 injury subs already made with half a game still to go the manager's hands were tied in that regard though.

This is going to be another Euro 2008 scenario icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Never really understood people always getting on Thomson's back, Adam gave the ball away twice as much and was on the pitch less time

Adam always has and probably always will give the ball away and it has cost us in the past as well. He also gets beaten too easily, as shown in the lead up to their second goal. A bit of a shame as if he improved that side of his game he would be a much much better player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah very true. Always forget his age certainly doesnt look it...looks about 30 icon_biggrin.gif

Thomson was dire for large parts of the game true, but I still think in general he should be in the team.

I think Walter fecked up last night tbh thinking about it, but as Haz says the injuries didn't help and tied his hands a little. Should probably have brought on Boyd rather than Cousin and certainly a lot earlier. I think going to 2-2 threw him a bit, but as he said after the game a draw was as much use to us a loss at the end of day, it makes no odds at all to the outcome of the group with the result from France. At 2-2, throw caution to the wind tbh it makes no odds and perhaps we were unlucky to lose that 3rd goal as at that point we were getting on top.

But never mind, we can still do it, but it's not going to be easy as Lyon know that they must win so they will be going for it.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Amdy Faye.

is that confirmed? please god I hope it is icon_mad.gif

always wondered how he got 20k a week in wages (well according to FM anyway) icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its on SSN as breaking news, Harry Redknapp another, no chance of being England manager now.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Amdy Faye.

is that confirmed? please god I hope it is icon_mad.gif

always wondered how he got 20k a week in wages (well according to FM anyway) icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought CM 01/02 and started a new game with current data - first task was to terminate Faye's loan icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

Reports in the papers tomorrow that Beasley has knee ligament damage and could be out for the rest of the season icon_frown.gif

Maybe a chance for the likes of Buffel to stake their claim for a place.

• SI Staff

So we've got East Stirling in the Scottish Cup then.

We should be able to put out the reserves and comfortably beat this lot. Game will be played on either 12th or 13th of January.

• SI Staff

It's confirmed now on the official site that he is to go to America for an operation and it's going to be "months" before he's back but we won't know how many until he's had his knee looked at.

A blow indeed, but we've got a large squad. This might open the door for the likes of Gow, Adam, Naismith, Buffel and Burke to get a chance in the first team. Good to have so many names to mention that can replace him.

• SI Staff

I didn't call them good I said it was good to have so many people who could potentially come in to the team to replace Beasley icon_wink.gif

Burke was good, but has been pish for even the reserves lately. Gow has been decent for the reserves (apart from in the game he got sent off in) and hasn't really had a chance. Buffel has been playing well for the reserves for the past month or so and we all no what Charlie Adam can do and what he can't do.

I'd agree with you that Naismith should get the chance and Gow as well, but I think Buffel should be starting to stake a claim for a place in the team.

yeah i know what you ment mate, just jesting around hohohoho icon_wink.gif

fwiw i don't think Buffel wil play for us again hes had his chance many a time and blew it, far too lightweight.

Adam for just cant cut it and Burke when he was on song was a great threat, i wonder what happened to that player?

Panda - i don't expect it to be full but i don't think it'l be far off, we aint had a home league game for a while and don't think we have another one for a few games after (Just the Lyon game)

I still think Burke can be a player, he has the skill there's no doubt of it. Why he doesn't come close to showing it even half the time is something he needs to sort out if he's ever going to make it at any level.

Adam on the other hand has nowhere near the raw talent Burke has, but he can do a job I think as a squad player. Just don't expect him to be the greatest player ever, we know he's not.

Shame about Beasley, was just starting to like him. It's Mols all over again - well except that Mols was exceptional and we did have a really good squad that season. Current squad is fine, has potential for sure, but still has it all to prove.

Hopefully Naismith will get more match time now and show us what he can do.

well a 2-0 win over Killie today, comfortable enough and 2 points back on Celtic due to their 1-1 draw with Hearts today icon_cool.gif

the officials seemed abysmal though with the way the commentators were going on about the game and the reaction of the fans. Not good to see JCD go off though, seems to be unable to shake off these injuries icon_frown.gif

Archived