The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JCD injuredy again icon13.gif

Becoming a bit of a normal thing icon13.gif

Boyd's inept performance once again icon13.gif

From what i seen of the game on the net, and read on a couple of places. Boyd played well

Wee Naisy, KT and Steven Whittaker icon14.gif

3 youngsters we can have here for the next decade... Thomson to be next Rangers captain BTW

I thought from the reaction on the radio that Boyd played well today, was even going past some players and holding them off with strength icon14.gif

the radio took their time to mention who the ref was, but when they said Freeland, I could have guessed it was him icon14.gif one of the worst referees up here, if not the worst and seems to have it right in for us at times

although Brines is as bad, especially in that Well cup game a month ago or so

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Thomson to be next Rangers captain BTW

I want Hutton to be the next captain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hutton will be off in the next year or two. Wether we like it or not

Very true Jimno his position is very sought after and if he plays with a cool head and keeps turning in displays like he has done then I would suggest there would be a few big clubs on the radar and a heft price tag we hope.

Good to see Eck win his first game also….I could see a few deals for even loans at Rangers with him…I let him have burke to build him up and see what he can do.

• SI Staff
Adam on for JCD instead of Cousin

Was reading that when JCD got injured, Super asked Cousin to get warmed up and he was so unmotivated and uninterested Walter brought on Adam instead.

Did he not fall out with the management and fans at Lens because of his attitude? Might be becoming a problem here as well.

Was reading that when JCD got injured, Super asked Cousin to get warmed up and he was so unmotivated and uninterested Walter brought on Adam instead.

aye Tom Miller and DJ mentioned it on the Rangers World link, DJ sounded a bit furious with the lack of warming up Cousin was doing and I guess Ally/Walter were not happy as well

he has said stuff in the papers about wanting to start games, so I guess he's getting a bit annoyed at being a sub

• SI Staff

He's not exactly done well recently when he has started games so I don't know what he's moaning about.

The sooner he is out the door the better IMO as he doesn't seem to be too interested.

Did he not fall out with the management and fans at Lens because of his attitude? Might be becoming a problem here as well.

His relationship with the Lens fans was so bad, he couldn't play in home games. It would be a shame if he went that way with us as well because he's done ok when he's played. Sometimes though I do think he has a bit of a lazy attitude.

• SI Staff

Game against Gretna has been postponed so we can prepare for the Champions League match against Lyon.

Been rescheduled for Wednesday 16th January after Gretna agreed to the switch (fair play to them)

Originally posted by Ter:

Game against Gretna has been postponed so we can prepare for the Champions League match against Lyon.

Been rescheduled for Wednesday 16th January after Gretna agreed to the switch (fair play to them)

I do hope Rangers remember this, the next time Hearts or Celtic ask them to switch a match before they refuse, again.

Originally posted by FrankJJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I do hope Rangers remember this, the next time Hearts or Celtic ask them to switch a match before they refuse, again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duly noted icon_rolleyes.gif

Rangers win Gretna match switch

Rangers have had their request for the postponement of Sunday's match against Gretna at Fir Park granted by the Scottish Premier League.

The Ibrox club wanted more time to prepare for their Champions League Group E qualifying decider against Lyon three days later.

Rangers must avoid defeat in Glasgow to go through to the last 16 of Europe's premier club competition.

The SPL re-arranged the match against Gretna for Wednesday 16 January.

Rangers had cited the example of SPL matches involving Celtic and themselves being postponed ahead of Scotland's Euro 2008 qualification decider with Italy.

And, with Gretna giving backing to the request, the decision to postpone was taken by SPL chairman Lex Gold and secretary Iain Blair.

The SPL pointed out that the French authorities had allowed Lyon a similar weekend off, cancelling their tie at Caen.

"Gretna were more than happy to accommodate our request when initially contacted last week and we are delighted the SPL have now agreed to postpone Sunday's game," said a Rangers spokesman.

"The decision not only benefits Rangers but Scottish football as a whole and we can now concentrate fully on our crucial Champions League tie."

Gretna head coach Davie Irons backed the plan, saying: "We have to look at the bigger picture - it isn't just about Rangers.

"It's about the knock-on effect for the whole of Scottish football, the co-efficient and the positive effects it can have on our game."

Meanwhile, Lyon stretched their lead in the Ligue 1 to six points with a 5-0 hammering of Strasbourg at the weekend.

Nearest challengers Nancy were defeated 2-1 away to Le Mans.

Swedish international Kim Kallstrom scored a double for Lyon against Strasbourg, Juninho, Karim Benzema and Francois Clerc adding the other goals.

BBC article fwiw.

Absolutely pointless really, you could've played a completely different 11 to the Lyon game and still have comfortably beat Gretna.

I hope we don't see a trend beginning of league games getting cancelled often for preparing for European/International games, it's rubbish getting the day off work for the football a few weeks in advance only to discover it's been postponed.

Originally posted by Anton:

Short term memories?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/923069.stm

Not to mention the old firm game taking place 36 hours after celtic played boavista.

Nothing like a bit of double standards.

Why would we want to give your mhob a rest when were in a battle with you for the league?

Anyway, it aint double standard, we asked both the SPL and Gretna and they both agreed.... where is the problem?

i dont really care about the whole postponing thing because rangers will no doubt beat gretna no matter what the circumstances are

also if we win at the weekend and go 4 clear for at least a little while it might be a little psychological boost for us even though the game in hand is only against gretna

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

It's really great that so many Celtic fans care icon14.gif

It's more about Old Firm games (either half) in general being postponed. Makes the SPL weekend a lot less exciting and I don't want to see it become a more regular occurence.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Short term memories?

Not to mention the old firm game taking place 36 hours after celtic played boavista.

Why would we want to give your mhob a rest when were in a battle with you for the league?

Anyway, it aint double standard, we asked both the SPL and Gretna and they both agreed.... where is the problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect it is more the issue that Celtic enquired about having the Hearts match postponed because there was no gap between European matches at all, yet were politely informed there was "no space in the calendar."

You better beat Lyon though, it will look ridiculous if Walter manages another Champions League damp squib after a good start.

Originally posted by Frankie:

No damp squib....

We've already exceeded expectations in arguably the hardest group in the group stage.

If we don't qualify now it would certainly be disappointing although certainly not ridiculous... icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking more of starting with two wins. There is no reason you shouldn't go through now, Lyon lack physicality and are very square at the back which suits your game, but I read at the weekend Rangers are the only team ever to win the first two games and not qualify.

So we can expect Celtic to go out to a dodgy late penalty when some South American dives or Bobo handles the ball in the stand, and then you lose to two Juninho free kicks. All very Scottish. icon_biggrin.gif

Nah I think it's more likely that Celtic go through because of an injury time deflected equaliser.... icon_wink.gif

As for Lyon, I agree they are not the best at the back. However, they have improved of late and are still top of the French league by far scoring plenty goals in the process.

Can we get at least a draw? Yes, we can.

Will I be gutted if we don't? Yes, I would.

But I'd also be delighted with an unexpected 3rd place and a decent campaign. No pressure whatsoever on us because of that. So far we've shown dome reasonable improvement in the last 10 months. One only needs to go back to this time last year to see how much.

3rd place in this group while also only being 1 point behind you chaps in the league is agreeable at this stage. Now we need to build on that and we will....

Especially when our Canadian sugar daddy takes over. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Short term memories?

Anyway, it aint double standard, we asked both the SPL and Gretna and they both agreed.... where is the problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect it is more the issue that Celtic enquired about having the Hearts match postponed because there was no gap between European matches at all, yet were politely informed there was "no space in the calendar."

You better beat Lyon though, it will look ridiculous if Walter manages another Champions League damp squib after a good start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celtic went ahead with their SPL game against Hearts on Saturday, despite facing AC Milan on Tuesday in a game vital to their own hopes of progressing in the Champions League.

"There's no favouritism here at all," said Davidson.

"There's no case to answer because Celtic didn't ask for Saturday's game against Hearts to be postponed and, if you don't ask, you don't get.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7126554.stm

?

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Celtic went ahead with their SPL game against Hearts on Saturday, despite facing AC Milan on Tuesday in a game vital to their own hopes of progressing in the Champions League.

"There's no case to answer because Celtic didn't ask for Saturday's game against Hearts to be postponed and, if you don't ask, you don't get.

?

Celtic did enquire some weeks ago when the fixture switch for Milan was known but were told it was not possible due to a lack of dates to rearrange.

Personally I think it's a load of nonsense anyway all this postponing matches. These are professional athletes, getting paid vast amounts of cash and they need a 'rest' from kicking a ball about a park for an hour and half a week. Gimme a break.

I also feel that not playing at the weekend can disrupt continuity. Players are used to playing at the weekend, and I suspect it puts out their playing clocks a bit of they don't. Bad move all round as far as I can see.

Unless we win of course, then it will have been the perfect strategy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

?

Celtic did enquire some weeks ago when the fixture switch for Milan was known but were told it was not possible due to a lack of dates to rearrange. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So then this Davidson chap is getting his facts mixed up?

He seems to think there was no such enquiry?

Somone should inform this poor soul who thinks he is in the know that he is out of touch eh?

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

So then this Davidson chap is getting his facts mixed up?

He seems to think there was no such enquiry?

Somone should inform this poor soul who thinks he is in the know that he is out of touch eh?

Davidson works for Setanta, who as we all know, can't tell their erse for their elbow. The SPL told Celtic it wasn't possible, perhaps it would have been if the tie was next week rather than this.

All worked out well in the end anyway but one would never suggest any kind of conspiracy from the SPL, or the Government or UEFA being out to get us at all. icon_wink.gif

Just don't mess it up next week!

Not long until the transfer window now, the budget will obviously depend on whether or not we qualify for the latter stages of the CL.

What do we need?

I think the squad is looking ok, the constant injuries to JCD are worrying and the fact that Cousin seems like a grumpy so and so. So maybe another striker, Benni McCarthy has been linked but seems very unlikely.

If Smith manages to return it will be like having a new player but we may need another player to cover the defence.

As for midfield, I would like to see a creative midfielder but we do have Buffel who hasn't really had a chance yet after impressive performances for the reserves.

I reckon McCarthy is way out of our league, simply going on what he's done in the Premiership - ironic as we were linked with him many moons ago and he seemed quite keen

probably a backup/able to step up to 1st team LB is needed, still concerns over Stevie Smith and isn't Papac more suited to CB anyway? although he's done rather well at LB for someone who is suited to another position. Maybe some CB cover with a bit of pace as Webster looks to be quite injury prone

and as mentioned another striker is probably paramount, preferably one who has good balance and can hold up the ball

Did we not only sign Cousin anyway because of the delay in getting Naismith? Not sure if we do need another striker considering Walters 1 up pish. Deffo left back though. Papac has done exceptionally well but we need decent cover at least. Apart from that, possible a creative mid I don't think Walter will go mad if he is allowed to sign anyone else we're not that far away from being a reasonable side and he may just want to give the current squad till the end of the season.

Alrightie peoples. I need a fix of my Gers news aint seen a game since the Barca defeat. Being in Canada I haven't had much chance to see the mighty Gers icon_frown.gif

Although the Lyon game is on TSN on Wednesday afternoon \o/

So how we been playing lately, Do we have a chance of atleast sneaking a draw on Wed, any new injuries and what's happening with Cousin?

Falkirk game when we won 3-1 - I didn't see the game live tbh, but we played quite well to lead by 2, but when Falkirk got the goal back, McGregor made two brilliant saves and Boyd got the goal to seal the nerves

3-2 defeat to Stuttgart - started quite well, got the goal then we got sloppy and lost the goal towards HT. 2nd half abysmal for 25 minutes and should have been behind by more, got our equaliser due to Naismith's persistance and Barry's cool finish but ultimately done by a good finish if aided by a deflection off Weir's boot

2-0 win against Killie - ref was completely dire, denied at least 2-3 pens, comfortable win that should have been a lot more

Darch is injured for a few weeks due to the hamstring again and Beasley did his ligaments in the Stuttgart game and is out for months apparently icon_frown.gif

depends on our attitutde for Lyon, we can win the place in the last 16 but I just sense an Auxerre/Panathinaikos situation and I don't like it. Would rather we had to win to get the place than get a draw

Cousin's attitude is pretty much because he's not starting every game as JCD is the preferred choice of playing the lone striker for Walter. I think he mentioned in the papers earlier in the season that he wouldn't be happy playing 2nd place on the bench and that seems to be the way it's playing out. Also, he's been linked with lower Premiership clubs and has that clause in his contractso I guess that's adding up to the problems as well

• SI Staff

I see Lyon (who claimed it was a mistake to postpone our game as we'll lose sharpness by not playing for a while, then tried to get their own game postponed and rested some of their better players) lost 1-0 to Caen yesterday.

Massive match on Wednesday as we all know. Team more or less will pick itself at the back but it will be interesting to see what Walter goes with up front. You would think it would be Cousin up front on his own but maybe Walter is unhappy with his attitude and won't play him.

Naismith is surely in with a shout of starting as he's done well in the games he's played and was unlucky not to get a goal against Kilmarnock last weekend.

McGregor

Hutton

Papac / Whittaker

Weir

Cuellar

Hemdani

Thomson

Ferguson

McCulloch

Naismith

Cousin / Boyd

depends on our attitutde for Lyon, we can win the place in the last 16 but I just sense an Auxerre/Panathinaikos situation and I don't like it. Would rather we had to win to get the place than get a draw

Can't disagree with that. Lyon will be right up for this game because they must win, and unless we match them they'll blow us away. Might be worth losing an early goal so we can't sit back. Having said that, we did hold Barca for ninety minutes so you just never know.

As for Cousin, he's not really all that good anyway is he so I hardly think we'd miss him. He surely knew when he arrived he wasn't going to be first choice. Sounds like a bit of a baby to me and sooner he goes the better if thats that case, we can do without his sort.

Won't happen but would like to see Naismith/Boyd start against Lyon but no doubt it will be a 9-0-1 as we try to grind out a draw and lose in the 94th minute of injury time. icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

Was reading that there is a story in todays Sun (yeah I know) about Cousin slagging his team mates saying they eat chips and pizza in the dressing room and drink beer out of very large glasses. icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty sure something has been lost in translation there as I'm pretty sure they don't come into the dressing room before a game with a half pizza supper and a large glass of Carling.

He's probably been talking about the lifestyle, which quite a few foreign players have been quite surprised to see when coming to Scotland.

Originally posted by Ter:

Was reading that there is a story in todays Sun (yeah I know) about Cousin slagging his team mates saying they eat chips and pizza in the dressing room and drink beer out of very large glasses. icon_biggrin.gif

A negative story in the Sun surfacing before a cruical Champions League game..... theres a surprise.

Wouldnt buy that piece of s*ite if it was the only paper in the land.

Archived