The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Need a left back though, Papac, after a good spell is getting worse again.

Tbf to Papac, he isn't a left back so can't really fault the guy for trying.

It's not the first time we've done this, probably won't be the last. Utter nonsense though, and sure Frankie if at the start of the group someone had offered us a UEFA Cup place we'd have snatched it our of their hands. Still very dissapointing to fail though in the manner we did.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Papac is never going to get in the team as a centre half ahead of Weir, Cuellar and Webster. Even Ehiogu or Broadfoot might even be ahead of him.

Badly need a left back though, and Whittaker is not it.

Reflecting on it a bit this morning I think we definitely missed Beasley last night. His corner taking was becoming a real danger and we were starting to get a few goals from that avenue.

I must have missed the Boyd talk, where do they reckon he will go? Would be happy to get rid of Cousin and would take anything over £5 million for Hutton if thats what is being offered. As for Buffel, it would be good to see him get a few chances in the first team before we decide what to do with him.

Would be good to have a decent run in the UEFA Cup but would rather see the league come back to Ibrox.

Originally posted by Jorg:

I must have missed the Boyd talk, where do they reckon he will go?

Birmingham, Big Eck apparently wants him. I don't see any of our big players leaving, not just yet anyway simply because they couldn't play in Europe if they did. If anyone leaves in January it'll be the likes of Burke/Buffel.

Originally posted by Ter:

I heard Hutton was off to Man Utd after the Old Firm game for £8m. Was surprised to hear it was January as I thought it would have been the Summer before a move happens.

£8 million is a great price if thats true. In the SPL it doesn't really matter if its Hutton or Whittaker so I would rip their hands off.

Another option would be to get a couple of their youngsters on loan as well. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another option would be to get a couple of their youngsters on loan as well

That didn't really work out well with Martin and Bardsley though did it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that after I typed the message.

Maybe we can get Fletcher in on loan or something. icon14.gif

Paricularly concerned after Wednesday about the ease with which the lone Lyon forward ran through the centre of the defence at will in the second half. The team definitely needs a DC with pace to play alongside Cuellar and I am not sure if either Webster ( if and when he gets fit ) or Broadfoot is the answer. Seems crazy to suggets that a DC is urgently needed with about 6 on the books at the moment but IMO that is the case.

Would be sorry to lose Hutton but the money could be spent wisely.

• SI Staff
Paricularly concerned after Wednesday about the ease with which the lone Lyon forward ran through the centre of the defence at will in the second half. The team definitely needs a DC with pace to play alongside Cuellar and I am not sure if either Webster ( if and when he gets fit ) or Broadfoot is the answer. Seems crazy to suggets that a DC is urgently needed with about 6 on the books at the moment but IMO that is the case.

I wouldn't be too worried about that to be honest. We had to take risks and push forward in search of a goal and got caught out.

We've been pretty solid in the central areas and if you look at any goals we've lost, not many have been through the middle, it's been balls in from our left side in most cases that I can remember.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paricularly concerned after Wednesday about the ease with which the lone Lyon forward ran through the centre of the defence at will in the second half. The team definitely needs a DC with pace to play alongside Cuellar and I am not sure if either Webster ( if and when he gets fit ) or Broadfoot is the answer. Seems crazy to suggets that a DC is urgently needed with about 6 on the books at the moment but IMO that is the case.

I wouldn't be too worried about that to be honest. We had to take risks and push forward in search of a goal and got caught out.

We've been pretty solid in the central areas and if you look at any goals we've lost, not many have been through the middle, it's been balls in from our left side in most cases that I can remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I think we do need a new centerhalf to play beside Cuellar, Weir got caught out time and time again with pace. I really hope this is his last season.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

funny watching all the celtic fans acting like they've got any chance of making an impact on this competition.

Liar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

read somewhere that if Rangers play 2 rounds of the UEFA and celtic go out this round then we will make the same money roughly.

Champions League is all about the money. If we can make the same in the UEFA then its no biggy really.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

funny watching all the celtic fans acting like they've got any chance of making an impact on this competition.

read somewhere that if Rangers play 2 rounds of the UEFA and celtic go out this round then we will make the same money roughly.

Champions League is all about the money. If we can make the same in the UEFA then its no biggy really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when we got to the final, we had to reach the semi final to break even (i.e same amount as if we had reached the knockouts), so either the money has changed radically or someones pulling figures from their arse

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Champions League is all about the money. If we can make the same in the UEFA then its no biggy really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when we got to the final, we had to reach the semi final to break even (i.e same amount as if we had reached the knockouts), so either the money has changed radically or someones pulling figures from their arse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to bear in mind that we already have the Champions League money in the bag too.

If you go out the next round you get one lot of gate money, If we get a couple of rounds min then the same applies, thats where I was coming from.

2-1 icon14.gif

That will do....did I hear burke was on icon_cool.gif

8m for Hutton icon_eek.gif if he goes for that price we should spend it on just the back line and get one or two good players in.

Have to say I wish him well, he’s came from nothing, as if he’d turn down the biggest club in Britain. What Scot would not like him down there training with the best its only good for the Scotland camp…..

What a 2nd goal we got yesterday, shocking mistake by the keeper. icon_biggrin.gif

According to the papers:

Cousin off to the Premiership for £3m

Hemdani off to Reading for £2m

Buffel off to Anderlecht for £1m

Gow and Burke to go out on loan

Not bad money really but would be interesting to see who would come in. I think Walter has already said that a left back is a must and might look at bringing in a striker on loan.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Is anyone gonna be daft enough to pay £3M for a player who only plays when he wants to?

Mibbe West Ham would suit him,

I think they were one of the teams mentioned along with Middlesbrough and possibly Wigan. Would be a great deal for us.

I don't think anyone here actually said McCulloch wouldn't be a decent signing tbh icon_biggrin.gif it was just the amount of money we were paying especially as he wanted to move to us and wanted to go at Wigan anyway

never heard the game yesterday due to work, but I did see the jammy winner we got icon14.gif have to watch Scotsport or something during the week I think

have to watch Scotsport or something during the week I think

Dear god man, don't do it! BBC Website at least, anything but Scotsport

It was an awful goal by the way, 5 year old keepers starting out would keep that out 9/10. It was awful, and it cost us joint second icon_frown.gif

We're coming to get you icon_wink.gif

aha, forgot about the BBC website icon_cool.gif

caught Scotsport a week ago or so when the Gretna game had been cancelled and Coluqhoun was going on off on one for no reason at all icon_biggrin.gif "this is giving a huge advantage to Rangers in the league by doing this" even Andy Walker looked a bit embarassed as all it was supposed to do was give us the advantage for the Lyon game, which it obviously didn't. Think John doesn't know what "postponed" means as I think he thought it meant we got the 3pts from the game without playing it

Never ever watch Scotsport (unless McGhee is on as it means we're featured). Awful program. Setanta or BBC Online for me

If you don't get three points with your Under 19's I would worry. Gretna are awful, and as Euan Cameron says (god I hate it when I quote(ish) him) They should not be in this league, awful!!!

I almost cried when I heard the commentator explain the Rangers second... I hate FHW, and at least I can look down the table (for now) and laugh at everyone else!

very tough schedule over Christmas and New Year though - but if we can get through that with hardly anything dropped, then I reckon we could find ourselves in a nice position come the opening days of 2008 icon14.gif

Aberdeen away - always a pain up there

Motherwell home - Well playing well, so by no means anything easy

Hibs away - always a tough game

Celtic away - no comments needed tbh icon_wink.gif

Be fantastic to get all the points over that period, Motherwell are playing great just now, they were all over Aberdeen by the sounds of it. Celtic have an easy run of games with only Hibs I’d say able to take full points off them apart from us.

Celtic have Hibs –Dundee Utd – Gretna.

Celtic have lost a goal in every match away since 2006, that how poor there away defending is which is a bonus for us.

You're being a bit unfair on Dundee United there. By far a team that could beat anyone at Tannadice (where Celtic travel, and more likely to beat Celtic than Hibs are)

Remember, Celtic as you say have lost a goal in every away watch since 2006, while Dundee United have ONLY conceded 2 goals this season at home

Anyway, we'll be top by the middle of January icon_wink.gif

Archived