The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Number 7:

div - how can he miss motherwell then play against hibs?

Its something to do with the fact that he gets banned for the next game becasue of teh red card, then he get's 12 points added to his record, which will take him over the limit, then there is the 14 day rule.

Its all a little complicated, i'm sure in the next day or so it will be sorted.

It might be a blessing thats hes going to miss a few, who knows the guy coming in might win a game for us.

1-0 I thought we would scrape the win till he got sent off, even with ten we were the better side.

Hibs on the other hand will be a good game they should have beat Celtic but I think we will win in.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Number 7:

div - how can he miss motherwell then play against hibs?

Its something to do with the fact that he gets banned for the next game becasue of teh red card, then he get's 12 points added to his record, which will take him over the limit, then there is the 14 day rule.

Its all a little complicated, i'm sure in the next day or so it will be sorted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah it makes sense now. thanks.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

That's giving in though. icon_biggrin.gif

It's fun to read sometimes. Then it just gets icon_frown.gif.

Nah it's not really. Sensible Celtic fans like yourself are fine, can't be arsed with the nonsense Hooray 'I only post when we're winning' and his cronies post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are a liar.

The only time I havent posted on this site consistantly is when I had no internet access.

August 06 - September 07, so lies.

Did I mention you are a liar aswell?

Without getting into the various merits (or otherwise) of the refereeing yesterday, it strikes me that niggly games like yesterday's are far more likely to happen now that there's more "local" boys in the Rangers team (i say only Rangers, because they've had a lot more of a foreign influence over the past few years than we have). The likes of Hutton, Boyd, Ferguson, McCulloch, Adam, Naismith, McGregor etc are all born and bred Rangers fans, and seem more likely to bust a gut/be over motivated(?) in games against Aberdeen/Celtic as they're more aware of the fans' feelings towards these games. Suppose it ends up being good for the fans, as we all get a nice full blooded game of football to keep us excited, but it must be a nightmare to referee, especially with the absolutely hopeless bunch we've got in Scotland just now.

From our point of view, i would have taken a draw before the game, at half time thought we'd go on to win, and by full time was glad we'd not been skelped 3 or 4 - 1.

Suppose it ends up being good for the fans, as we all get a nice full blooded game of football to keep us excited, but it must be a nightmare to referee, especially with the absolutely hopeless bunch we've got in Scotland just now.

I used to slag off Dallas when he was a ref, but by god we miss someone like him in the game icon_frown.gif

I reckon some of the referreeing this season has been some of the worse I've seen in years and that's not even Rangers games, seems to be a disease among SPL games

Originally posted by Number 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Oh, also, despite the disappointment of two dropped points, it was a fairly enjoyable match. Plenty of commitment and some nice football.

have to say I quite enjoy the powderkeg sort of games, but I think a lot of people are like that icon_biggrin.gif

last few OF derbies have had nothing like some of the stuff that went on today, almost as if the sting has gone out of it recently - although now I've said that, it will probably be a battle on Jan 2nd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbh i prefer meaty challenges, sending offs and lots of bookings in OF games. more passion and excitement for fans. will be a good game hopefully. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I miss watching Neil Lennon implode. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Suppose it ends up being good for the fans, as we all get a nice full blooded game of football to keep us excited, but it must be a nightmare to referee, especially with the absolutely hopeless bunch we've got in Scotland just now.

I used to slag off Dallas when he was a ref, but by god we miss someone like him in the game icon_frown.gif

I reckon some of the referreeing this season has been some of the worse I've seen in years and that's not even Rangers games, seems to be a disease among SPL games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno I reckon the overall standard of refereeing all over is declining based on the Champions League and so on. I suppose though the problem for referee's today is the intense probing by the media - like how Setanta played the Severin incident over and over and over again in an attempt to get Barry Ferguson banned - which simply didn't happen in the past. The referee does not have the benefit of being able to view an incident over and over again and in the old days it didn't matter as much.

I remember a League Cup Final against Dundee United in the 80's, United were 1-0 up, scored what looked from the stands to be a perfectly good goal that was chopped off and we went on to win 2-1. Most Rangers fans around us thought we'd stolen the game. TV later showed the referee was correct. Point being, you get one shot at it, TV gets a million shots from a million angles. Refs are under a hell of a lot more pressure these days.

They're still basically crap though.

Bloomin Radio came back with "oh a last minute goal at Ibrox" then stopped. For a 100th of a second I thought oh pish. Then he said “Boyd has secured all three points†icon_razz.gif

Good Result well happy. icon14.gif

Boumsong is available for £1.4m would that not be a steal if we got him back after selling him for eight million, only problem is Eck might buy him. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

I'd be happy to see Boum back at Ibrox.

If it goes tits up when we could just flip him again and find another mug with a pot of gold.

Classic Boum and Carlos in defence would be icon_cool.gif

i doubt boum would live up to what he was when we fist had him. he'd never get the chance to settle, and ould probably get hounded out. bit like ferguson really.

• SI Staff

How many goals have we conceded from wide areas this season? Just saw that yesterdays goal was from a corner.

I can't remember any goals that have come through the middle except against Lyon when we were pushing up and possible when Hearts put 4 past us. icon_mad.gif

• SI Staff
Motherwell manager Mark McGhee believes the Scottish Premier League title is again a two-horse race between the Old Firm after his side's Wednesday defeat.

"Now that they are six points ahead of us with two games in hand, we are never going to catch Rangers," he said after the 3-1 loss to the Ibrox side.

McGhee had hoped that his team could at least separate Celtic and Rangers.

He must be on the same deluded drugs that ATW was on icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by underwater sunlight:

well at least he tried.

most managers are fighting for third place, and although the chances of breaking the old firm are slim, bordering on none, you will get nowhere by not trying.

shame he has conceeded defeat, which will probably downhearten their players

No team outside Rangers and Celtic will win the SPL, anybody that thinks any different is off their head.

Even Hearts splitting the OF was lucky, as Rangers were so so bad that season.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATW:

We're coming to get you icon_wink.gif

Naw, yer no! icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah we've decided to aim fae Celtic. There is no way the SPL would accept us chasing both sides of the Old Firm, didn't allow in the 90's when it was the SFL, won't allow it now icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by underwater sunlight:

well at least he tried.

most managers are fighting for third place, and although the chances of breaking the old firm are slim, bordering on none, you will get nowhere by not trying.

shame he has conceeded defeat, which will probably downhearten their players

No team outside Rangers and Celtic will win the SPL, anybody that thinks any different is off their head.

Even Hearts splitting the OF was lucky, as Rangers were so so bad that season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i guess im just diffrent. even though there is only a minute chance, it can, and has happened (hearts done it to us the other year)

obviously there are a lot more factors than just telling your boys they can do it, but when you see people like arsene wenger overhaul the whole team, expand the teams scouting network to bring in a higher quality of youth player, etc... and of course you have a board who are patient then there is a chance. we never started with millions of pounds and a massive stadium. of course we had a lot of lucky breaks, and people making brave decisions but i just dont see the point of a footbal team aiming for third place on a long term basis.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Aberdeen youngster Chris Maguire faces a major rap after posting an abusive outburst on his official website about Rangers stars Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton. (Daily Record)

haha wtf icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2007/12...gers-86908-20267166/

Originally posted by mark g:

Any more rumours from your end on whether Hutton's likely to be coming to manchester or staying with you in january?

I hope he stays but I think he may well be on his way to you guys icon_frown.gif You are getting a cracking player thats for certain.

• SI Staff
Any more rumours from your end on whether Hutton's likely to be coming to manchester or staying with you in january?

Not heard much, although it was everywhere last week. Still think it will happen.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I almost spat my coffee out this morning when I read "Rino Returns to Rangers" in one of the cheap tabloid headlines icon_frown.gif

He will be back eventually, the only problem is he might be 36 by the time he returns.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any more rumours from your end on whether Hutton's likely to be coming to manchester or staying with you in january?

Not heard much, although it was everywhere last week. Still think it will happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rumour was we were holding out for £10 million. icon_eek.gif

What are the biggest transfer fees we have ever received? Boumsong will be one of the top 5.

I know we have Whittaker to come in and maybe Lowing, but finding someone who can come in and attempt to provide the surging runs forward is not going to be easy. Without Hutton's surging runs and link up play with the winger we'll be missing out on many of the opportunities we're creating currently. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

What are the biggest transfer fees we have ever received? Boumsong will be one of the top 5.

Gio and Boumsong both tie at the top at £8.5million. Flo I think is 3rd at £6.5million and Trevor Steven at £5.5million is still up there as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gio £8.5million

Boumsong £8million

Barry Ferguson £7.5 million

Those are the top 3.

• SI Staff
I know we have Whittaker to come in and maybe Lowing, but finding someone who can come in and attempt to provide the surging runs forward is not going to be easy. Without Hutton's surging runs and link up play with the winger we'll be missing out on many of the opportunities we're creating currently.

I think Whittaker can do a similar job to Hutton. Don't think he's quite as good yet but most certainly has the potential to do what Hutton does.

A year ago people would have chosen Whittaker over Hutton. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

I know we have Whittaker to come in and maybe Lowing, but finding someone who can come in and attempt to provide the surging runs forward is not going to be easy. Without Hutton's surging runs and link up play with the winger we'll be missing out on many of the opportunities we're creating currently. icon_frown.gif

I have no fear's of Whittaker coming in and doing a job for us should Hutton leave. I think that may have been the thinking in bringing him in during the summer.

Archived