The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SPL postpone Old Firm derby clash

The SPL have postponed Wednesday's Old Firm derby as a mark of respect following the death of Motherwell's former Hoops star Phil O'Donnell.

Celtic made a formal request to the SPL for the game to be called off as their squad struggle to cope with the death of their former player.

Rangers boss Walter Smith also backed a postponement and the SPL moved quickly to meet the request.

SPL secretary Iain Blair said: "These are never easy decisions. But we recognise that as a former player, Phil was part of Celtic's extended football family.

"After consultation with Rangers we agreed to postpone the Old Firm fixture on the second of January."

The game is the third SPL fixture scheduled for January 2 to be called off.

Motherwell's game against Hibernian was called off on Saturday night in the hours after O'Donnell lost his life following his on-field collapse.

And Gretna's game against St Mirren was postponed on Sunday as it was due to take place at Fir Park, which has become a shrine to the memory of the popular 35-year-old.

Celtic's visit to Motherwell on Sunday was also called off.

But an SPL spokesman confirmed that the other three fixtures scheduled for Wednesday will go ahead as planned.

If both teams are happy then I don't have a real problem with the decision.

• SI Staff

Be interesting to see how on Earth they are going to fit this one in as the police aren't likely to allow it to go ahead in the evening.

They might have to reschedule Rangers and Celtic matches on a weekend to a weekday night and play the game that weekend.

I sort of thought that this was coming tbh, I guess the whole card should just be off now

noticed in the Celtic thread about "certain messageboards" - so I had a read, utter mutants some of the replies there icon14.gif

football is irrevelant at a time when 4 kids have lost a father, a wife has lost a husband, a team has lost their leader and Scottish football has lost somebody who probably should have gone on to be better than he was but for injuries

I can see why people would whinge about not being given money back for travel arrangments or that, but surely Celtic/Rangers players were friends with O'Donnell and obviously don't feel up to playing football just so soon after his untimely passing?

some of the posts there leave a sour taste in the mouth I have to say, most of them saying that we'd have beaten Celtic and that's why they wanted it off, just shows the mindset of some of that msgboard though icon14.gif

icon_frown.gif

Understandable but you have to think what new players will be brought in and Injuries clearing up, plays both ways I know with Rangers getting a few players in.

Originally posted by TM:

I sort of thought that this was coming tbh, I guess the whole card should just be off now

noticed in the Celtic thread about "certain messageboards" - so I had a read, utter mutants some of the replies there icon14.gif

football is irrevelant at a time when 4 kids have lost a father, a wife has lost a husband, a team has lost their leader and Scottish football has lost somebody who probably should have gone on to be better than he was but for injuries

I can see why people would whinge about not being given money back for travel arrangments or that, but surely Celtic/Rangers players were friends with O'Donnell and obviously don't feel up to playing football just so soon after his untimely passing?

some of the posts there leave a sour taste in the mouth I have to say, most of them saying that we'd have beaten Celtic and that's why they wanted it off, just shows the mindset of some of that msgboard though icon14.gif

Its a difficult situation, you can look at it in a couple of ways. I'm in the camp that the games should have went ahead, apart from Motherwell's and Gretna's (because they were playing at Fir Park)

A number of people have died within football, but as they say the show must go on, and IMO Phil O'Donnell would have wanted it that way, I think any footaller would have.

You can also look at it in the way that celtic will benefit from a postponement. i.e new players, players not suspended/injured.

Gretna's game is also off because St Mirren have a relative of Phil O'Donnell in their squad too. If it was just down to Fir Park they would have moved it to Paisley.

Celtic have requested it because the amount of people it effects that the club. The O'Donnell's are huge Celtic fans, and have links high in the club, along with many players being known to O'Donnell.

Dundee United game should be off aswell though, as they witnesses the whole thing

whole card should have been called off on Saturday night, it was a Scottish player in the SPL fatally not recovering on the pitch

with the amount of time it's taken for other games to fall, you get the conspiracy theories kicking in - SPL should have just said "all games off this week as a mark of respect and we'll come back on Saturday (all teams except Motherwell of course)

Originally posted by ATW:

Gretna's game is also off because St Mirren have a relative of Phil O'Donnell in their squad too. If it was just down to Fir Park they would have moved it to Paisley.

Celtic have requested it because the amount of people it effects that the club. The O'Donnell's are huge Celtic fans, and have links high in the club, along with many players being known to O'Donnell.

Dundee United game should be off aswell though, as they witnesses the whole thing

This has been said about the Gretna game

SPL Executive Chairman Lex Gold said: “It is clear that Fir Park has become a place of homage for many fans to Phil.â€

So I think its more to do with the fact that the SPL dont want a football fixture happening at a ground where there will be thoughts on other things other than football, they couldnt have moved the game to Love St. as its Gretna's home game.

But at the end of the day if a club requests it, it cannot be turned down.

they couldnt have moved the game to Love St. as its Gretna's home game.

What because they have never reversed fixtures before? Motherwell did it with Dunfermline when they were laying their pitch? It was only the second time these two clubs would have met so they could have reversed it.

I agree with this to an extent, but where do you draw the line? Haz and Frankjj and a few other shall we say 'older' members will remember when Bobby McKean died the day or so before a League Cup Final. But perhaps things are different now.

People react in different ways to grief and whilst it's totally correct that if the Motherwell players want to call their games off they should, there is still the question of where do you draw the line? And of course as jimbo says, at the end of the day Phil O'Donnell was a football player and the best way any footballer can remember him is by playing.

whole card should have been called off on Saturday night, it was a Scottish player in the SPL fatally not recovering on the pitch

with the amount of time it's taken for other games to fall, you get the conspiracy theories kicking in - SPL should have just said "all games off this week as a mark of respect and we'll come back on Saturday (all teams except Motherwell of course)

I don't really think the SPL can do that. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual clubs to request the postponement, some might not feel it's nessecary, some will and I'm sure if any club wanted their matches postponed the SPL would oblige.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they couldnt have moved the game to Love St. as its Gretna's home game.

What because they have never reversed fixtures before? Motherwell did it with Dunfermline when they were laying their pitch? It was only the second time these two clubs would have met so they could have reversed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know the circumstances of the Well Pars game, did the venue get changed a couple of days before the game?

I dont know the circumstances of the Well Pars game, did the venue get changed a couple of days before the game?

probably unlikely, wasn't that the time when Dunfermline had a mass of away games at the start of the season because they couldn't finish that pitch laying?

but then the games got reversed as the season went on. Probably better to just call off the Gretna game instead of going into venue changes

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dont know the circumstances of the Well Pars game, did the venue get changed a couple of days before the game?

probably unlikely, wasn't that the time when Dunfermline had a mass of away games at the start of the season because they couldn't finish that pitch laying?

but then the games got reversed as the season went on. Probably better to just call off the Gretna game instead of going into venue changes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If thats the case then there is no way, because of ticket sale (although there wont be a lot) that the game could be switched.

Its the only course of action for the Gretna game then.

noticed in the Celtic thread about "certain messageboards" - so I had a read, utter mutants some of the replies there

TM, thank you for your kind words, along with everyone in this thread. If you are a member of these sites, can I ask them to read Chick Young's column (thought I would never say that).

Here it is here:-

Meanwhile, if you were inconvenienced by the postponement of a football match then you will just have to live with it.

And if you're moaning about it then go and have a look in the mirror.

The game will be played another day. Those kids won't see their dad again.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Never thought i'd respect anything Chick Young had to say.

I know, it is one less person to hate every week.... for now

Anyway, soon we will get back to normal and I will start calling you lot a bunch of Rangers *****s again icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Happy new year to you all! icon_frown.gificon_smile.gificon14.gif

Originally posted by Anton:
Originally posted by jimbo22:

You can also look at it in the way that celtic will benefit from a postponement. i.e new players, players not suspended/injured.

You are an utter scumbag and an embarassment to your club.[/quote

Shut up you clown...........

I was making a point....

P.s Why did it take celtic until today to ask for the postponment?

I wasnt going to go down that line, but seen as you are the one acting like an Idiot... I'll aske the question?

I'll forgive your utter cretiness since you might not realise how hard this has hit people over here.

I wasn't a season ticket holder when Phil was at celtic but I was nearly in tears when seeing the tributes too him etc. I can hardly imagine how the people who knew him well, who worked with him recently and know his family must be feeling now.

If you think football reasons had anything to do with celtic asking for the game to be postponed then you really are the lowest of the low.

Because it only happened on Saturday. There was the board/manager deciding if they should ask it, they were in shock and grief. Your the clown here jimbo, Celtic in no way are using a players death in a way to gain an advantage. Are Rangers not allowed to sign players? Do Rangers not have any injured players?

You were totally out of line there.

To the two of you...

I was shocked to see this as well, and left my thought on the Motherwell FC homepage (reply 14, if you want to check).

Initially I was replying to TM's post about the way people are looking at it. And it's being looked at in a couple of ways

And here is a quote from your own captain

“We understand sincerely the inconvenience and frustration a postponement would cause supporters of both teams, particularly those who travel long distances to games - and we fully respect the views of all fans on this matter .

So why cant you accpet the thoughs of others on the matter?

I have already stated my opinion on the matter that only the Motherwell and Gretna games should have been called off, and the other teams could have remembered him in the way football fans should, with a minutes silence.

You also have to look at the fact that the Dundee Utd game isnt being called off... now they witnessed this incident first hand.

I'm all for the gieveing process, I recently lost an uncle a week before Xmas) but life goes on.

They said on this matter - the matter is the fans travelling long distances. Nothing to do with advantages and disadvantages. And ofcourse life goes on, it will be schedueled for another day. Theres no point in making excuses or moaning about it being postponed, a man lost his life, family and everything. Kids lost there dad, a woman lost her husband. Now your throwing football advantages into it. It's just not that respectful.

You also have to look at the fact that the Dundee Utd game isnt being called off... now they witnessed this incident first hand.

Wilkie has already came out and said he doesn't know how he will be able to play on Wednesday but if it is United's intention too then he will have too.

McManus, was one of O'Donnell's best friends, Scott McDonald was in tatters last night when he went up to Fir Park. Tommy Burns, was aswell. Kevin McBride, who has joined Falkirk, came up right after the game on Saturday, and has been given entitlement from Darlington not to return, while Falkirk have already given him a week off.

Because you cannot see the direct link to O'Donnell does not mean there is not one. It is amazing how linked O'Donnell has his family were in the Scottish game.

As I have mentioned from players to Referees have links to the O'Donnell clan.

a man lost his life, family and everything. Kids lost there dad, a woman lost her husband. Now your throwing football advantages into it. It's just not that respectful

As I said, Chic Young said it best

Meanwhile, if you were inconvenienced by the postponement of a football match then you will just have to live with it.

And if you're moaning about it then go and have a look in the mirror.

The game will be played another day. Those kids won't see their dad again.

Originally posted by Number 7:

They said on this matter - the matter is the fans travelling long distances. Nothing to do with advantages and disadvantages. And ofcourse life goes on, it will be schedueled for another day. Theres no point in making excuses or moaning about it being postponed, a man lost his life, family and everything. Kids lost there dad, a woman lost her husband. Now your throwing football advantages into it. It's just not that respectful.

I was raising the point that it had been talked about, after one of my fellow bears pointed out the in the Celtic thread there was one of your lot commenting on the thoughts of some of FF. We can all take what we want from things when we want it to suit our own agenda

Now you probably haven't saw the thread with almost 1400 posts and 30,000 views with people playing their respect to the guy.

People can pay their respects, but they can also have views on matters.

I also just dont take to kindly to being called a scumbag by Anton.

the thread paying respect to O'Donnell is icon14.gif

as much as PM7 said it couldn't have happened and he's right, I just wish the SPL had just called the whole card off on Saturday night and saved all this

I can see your point mate btw, from a footballing point of view but we should be able to beat Celtic with all these new signings/players back anyway when the game is re-arranged icon14.gif Barry Ferguson commented on the Rangers website about being mates with O'Donnell as they are both from Hamilton and I expect the Scottish lads who knew him probably didn't want to play on Wednesday, although all involved probably would have if the game had gone on due to professionalism

Originally posted by TM:

as much as PM7 said it couldn't have happened and he's right, I just wish the SPL had just called the whole card off on Saturday night and saved all this

I can see your point mate btw, from a footballing point of view but we should be able to beat Celtic with all these new signings/players back anyway when the game is re-arranged icon14.gif Barry Ferguson commented on the Rangers website about being mates with O'Donnell as they are both from Hamilton and I expect the Scottish lads who knew him probably didn't want to play on Wednesday, although all involved probably would have if the game had gone on due to professionalism

I'm not worried about them getting new players in, far from it.

You are probably right the SPL havent covered themselves in glory in all this. If they were going to allow any other games than the Motherwell/Gretna ones to be called off they should have called the rest off.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

I'm not worried about them getting new players in, far from it.

You are probably right the SPL havent covered themselves in glory in all this. If they were going to allow any other games than the Motherwell/Gretna ones to be called off they should have called the rest off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It awfully sounded like you were worried about it. I do think SPL should have cancelled all games.

The thing is, the SPL don't have a brain between them tbf. Worrying thing is, these same people are our chairmen... *gulp*

I see Dundee Utd have been refused their game to be called off after Hearts agreed to it (according to the Dundee Utd Assistant).

The SPL really have made a pigs ear of this whole thing.

Originally posted by deathhead:

The agent of napoli's Sam dalla Bona has confirmed Rangers interest in him on some italian radio station. hed be a good player for us i think.

Never really impressed me when he was at Chelsea but he probably didn't get a fair crack.

dalla bona would give us nothing that baz, hemdani, and thompson aleady offer us. we need a more creative midfielder who would put in a shift.

murphy wold be a good aquisition.

i dont think we need a lot. another centre back, somebody to shoot amdy faye so he doesnt play for us again, and a left back. another midfielder would be a bit of an extravegance. adam is looking more willing to fight for a shirt, as is burkey. we've got mcculloch and beasley for the wings as well, and there is always naisy and novo who can fill gaps. buffel is doing well for the reserves and deserves a decent chance to either show us what he can do, or earn himself a move.

we have a big squad already and having more players not getting enough games will not do the team morale any good.

Archived