The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

So, a freezing, wet Tuesday night in Paisley against one of the worst and most physical teams in the division. We'd have baulked at it this time last year, but it's the sort of game we have to win now if we're serious about reclaiming the title.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gers missing banned duo

Rangers must cope without suspended Scotland stars Alan Hutton and Lee McCulloch when they face St Mirren in the SPL on Tuesday.

Hutton begins a two-game ban, and McCulloch serves a one-match suspension.

Striker Steven Naismith is a major doubt for the game with a knee injury and fellow frontman Jean-Claude Darcheville (calf) is a definite absentee. Andy Webster (knee), Steven Smith (groin) and DaMarcus Beasley (knee) remain sidelined.

Gers (from): McGregor, Weir, Cuellar, Whittaker, Burke, Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Cousin, Naismith, Carroll, Adam, Broadfoot, Boyd, Furman, Novo, Papac, Gow, Buffel.

If we play like we have been we should win by a couple but St Mirren have picked up recently and it is never an easy place to go. However, the incentive is there, we go 4pts clear if we win!

• SI Staff

Be a good chance tonight for Whittaker to step up and show that he is an able replacement for Hutton if he does indeed leave. If Naismith doesn't make it then I'd expect the team to be something like this.

McGregor

Whittaker

Papac

Cuellar

Weir

Hemdani

Thomson

Ferguson

Burke

Adam

Cousin

• SI Staff

So we have games against St Mirren and Celtic to fit into the schedule now ffs.

The SPL had better be reasonable with the St Mirren game scheduling since it was postponed to try and benefit the national team the first time. Depending on how long between the end of the 33 games and the start of the split then we could have it midweek before the split fixtures but I guess we'd rather get the game out of the way and (hopefully) get some points in the bag.

The next free midweek is Wed 23rd January and that would mean us playing St. Mirren away on that date then at home to them on the Saturday ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and Hutton will now miss Gretna (A) and Inverness CT (A) as a result of this postponement.

I think St Mirren will be 23rd and the Celtic game back to March (with Europe filling some of the midweeks for Feb for both OF clubs)

but it all depends on whether the SPL want to have two potentially cruical OF games just 10 days apart in March, rumour Parkhead game will be 19th (if it's put back), Ibrox one is already set for 29th. Parkhead game would have to be a midweek as well maybe, not what the SPL want I expect icon_wink.gif

St Mirren game was scheduled before the OF game, so I dunno what they will do icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

SUN 13 JAN: East Stirling (H) - Scottish Cup

WED 16 JAN: Gretna (A) - SPL

SUN 20 JAN: Inverness CT (A) - SPL

WED 23 JAN: Free

SAT 26 JAN: St Mirren (H) - SPL

WED 30 JAN: Hearts (N) - League Cup

SAT 02 FEB: Scottish Cup 5th Round

WED 06 FEB: INTERNATIONALS

SAT 09 FEB: Falkirk (H) - SPL

WED 13 FEB: Panathinaikos - UEFA Cup

SUN 17 FEB: Kilmarnock (A) - SPL

WED 20 FEB: Panathinaikos - UEFA Cup

SUN 24 FEB: Gretna (H) - SPL

WED 27 FEB: Hearts (A) - SPL

SAT 01 MAR: Aberdeen (H) - SPL

THU 06 MAR: Free / UEFA Cup 4th Round

SAT 08 MAR: Free / Scottish Cup 6th Round

WED 12 MAR: Free / UEFA Cup 4th Round

SUN 16 MAR: Motherwell (A) - SPL / League Cup Final

WED 19 MAR: Free

SAT 22 MAR: Hibernian (H) - SPL

WED 26 MAR: INTERNATIONALS

SAT 29 MAR: Celtic (H) - SPL

WED 02 APR: Free / UEFA Cup/CL QF

SAT 05 APR: Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

WED 09 APR: Free / UEFA Cup/CL QF

SAT 12 APR: Free / Scottish Cup Semi Final

There is going to be a real problem if we do well in the UEFA Cup and get to the CIS Cup Final with these matches. If we beat Hearts at the end of the month then our match with Motherwell is going to have to be rescheduled as well. We're most likely going to be in the next round of the Scottish Cup as well, which has a possible replay if the match is drawn which would cause yet more problems.

IMO they should get the game with Celtic scheduled for 23rd January as it will be easier to fit in a game with St Mirren later in the schedule somewhere without the complications of European fixtures and possibly cups.

• SI Staff

Yeah, assuming we beat East Stirling in the cup on Sunday (would be a major shock if we didn't) and the free midweek on 23rd is filled with one of the outstanding fixtures then we'll be playing weekend/midweek at least until the beginning of March.

There is also the chance of games being called off due to weather (Inverness away on 20th already is already worrying from the long range forecast of sleet and a high of 2 degrees which could easily change to heavy snow icon_biggrin.gif )

• SI Staff
Originally posted by ibroxhero:

BBC reporting that Spurs have offered Hutton increased wages/bonuses and that he is considering. Torn between recieving the money and him staying icon_frown.gif

On SSN now that Tottenham have withdrawn their offer for Hutton icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Rumours going around that the 23rd will indeed be the Celtic game*

same rumours been going around on celtic boards all day

midweek game icon13.gif

purely for selfish reasons of course, not getting home until midnight etc.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

BBC reporting that Spurs have offered Hutton increased wages/bonuses and that he is considering. Torn between recieving the money and him staying icon_frown.gif

On SSN now that Tottenham have withdrawn their offer for Hutton icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure - he's no good anyway icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

I doubt there would be any fee involved for Carroll to be honest and we're apparently looking to replace him with Hearts' Steve Banks.

FF got a link to Soren Larsen the Schalke striker as well, can't believe he's 26 icon_redface.gif seems to have been around for ages although that's probably cause I remember him from CM/FM games

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I doubt there would be any fee involved for Carroll to be honest and we're apparently looking to replace him with Hearts' Steve Banks.

FF got a link to Soren Larsen the Schalke striker as well, can't believe he's 26 icon_redface.gif seems to have been around for ages although that's probably cause I remember him from CM/FM games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he can stay fit, he will be a really good signing for you icon_frown.gif but he has been very injury hit

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Andy Goram smacks Di Canio with the ball. Twice.

Just in case anyone wants a wee chuckle. icon_biggrin.gif

Least they got one offside decision right in that game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was handball.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Andy Goram smacks Di Canio with the ball. Twice.

Just in case anyone wants a wee chuckle. icon_biggrin.gif

Least they got one offside decision right in that game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was handball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, the book I have been reading said that Cadete handled the ball and Goram never moved because he saw it and saw the ref's flag up icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

It was handball.

Aye, so it was..

"I remember thinking as we were leaving the pitch that Celtic had outplayed Rangers for most of the second half and that they fully deserved a draw. Considering the intensity of the game I had been pleased with our own performance (as officials) because there had been no major incidents and the players had behaved very well. There was a knock on the door a few minutes after the final whistle and it was Davie Provan, working for a TV company. He wanted to know if the goal had been disallowed for offside or for handball against Cadete. I told him I couldn't answer that sort of question, but he came back a few minutes later with much the same query. I realised then that the TV footage was indicating something that we had missed or got wrong. I did help him a little by telling him, 'Look Mr.Provan, you've played the game yourself and you know the rules. I suggest you have another look at the replay and watch what I do with my hand'. I had raised my hand when I blew for the infringement to indicate an indirect free kick - in other words for offside rather than hand ball. Seeing the footage later it became clear that we had got it wrong."

- Jim McCluskey

Archived