The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Crying out for Buffel to get a chance as link man whilst we sign a creative midfielder.

Buffel has proved he doesnt have the heart to be a good player in the SPL. He has the ability, but wont realise this at Ibrox.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffel and Gow are still away playing hide and seek with each other, Faye was probably invited but I doubt he even has the ability to play

although if Buffel and Gow can't get ahead of Adam, then there must be seriously something wrong with their attitudes/abilities

As I said on the previous page:

A good win will be good

Any sort of win will also be good

As was proved often in the Larsson years by our friends from the East, it is a sign of either a good/ lucky/ champinship winning team that can win after playing badly so this is one where the result is more important.

Dire game, but 3 points is all that matters.

We've got 4 games coming up where we shouldn't drop points, they've got a tough run of 3 away games in a row. Even with the worst case scenario where they pick up maximum points, we should go into the last 13 at least 4 points clear, with 3 OF games to come.

We really have no excuses not to go on and win the league from here.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

awful desicion by the officials to rule out the Cousin goal.

Freeland, Brines, Richmond and Conroy all awful awful refs

Most ref's are consistently bad week in week out. Something has to be done about them. The standard of Scottish ref's at the moment is scary and by the looks of it, its going to get a whole lot worse.

tbh as much as I don't like Brines and Richmond, it wasn't their faults for the bad decisions in midweek icon_biggrin.gif

the assistants take the brunt of the fault for the Naismith pen chopped off/offside when it was onside and the Cousin chopped off goal today, although I do agree about the standard of refereeing

never was a fan of people like Dallas and Young etc, but probably 100 times better than anything the ref associations are bringing out nowadays

Brines/Richmond could have over-ruled their assistants mate - the other week against Dundee Utd, McCurry (one of the last decent refs) and his assistant both worked out between them that the Ferguson goal was valid. That shows good officiating does happen but unfortunately the kind of high profile negative stuff we witnessed today and on Wednesday far outweighs the positive stuff.

As for the game itself - well the first half was awful but I thought we did a bit better in the second and deserved the win - no matter how late it was. JCD brings us another option up front with his pace and directness and wee Novo once again showed the likes of Burke, Naismith and Adam that they'll have to do a lot to keep him out the team.

As for predictions of winning the league, well this week's patchy displays have shown that may be a little premature. Sure, we've done well to get into a decent position but as we've already witnessed in the CL, leagues are marathons not sprints. Lots to be done and plenty banana skins to slip on home or away between now and May.

The next ten days will be interesting to see who leaves and who comes in. I'm worried about continuity if the likes of Hutton, Cousin and Buffel all move on. Sure, Larsen and Moore would be decent replacements but we'd need them to settle quickly. Similarly, the loss of the outstanding Thomson (even if he only cost half as much as Brown9) for the next 6 weeks won't help us either. I love Hemdani's composure and reading of games but he doesn't provide the same aggression and drive that Thomson does. We'll need Ferguson to step up to the plate more than ever before.

It's going to be a roller-coaster ride over the coming months. Bring it on!

The way Walter was talking today I don’t think there will be much movement in the transfer Market, same goes to the east end I think they had hoped to loan Fad….but that all went to the wall, and unless they get rid of Mr Magic and co I dont see anyone else in.

If Hutton leaves fair enough there will be.

Celtic were never going to sign McFadden. They dont have the money available to get him in.

Anyway, IMO, if we don't sign anyone we'll struggle big time. We need an creative midfielder because Ferguson simply isn't doing the job.

Stevie Smith is apparently just about to return, Keith Jackson was on Clyde today saying that he spoke to Smith and the young lad say's he's raring to go and it's looking good. So we probably wont need a left back now, as badly as we did.

Thomson is a big loss, he was doing a great job and will be missed.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Burke annoys the shiznit out me, His constant hissy fits at the officials while the ball is still within playing distance needs to stop.

There was one that he tried to get passed a defender in the corner then fell to his knee's wanting a foul when he could have got to the ball.

He does it a lot too.

• SI Staff

Wasn't the best of games yesterday but was pleasing to get a bit of luck and get the late win. Thought Caley did quite well. Brewster is doing a good job there again. Maybe this time he won't leave. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, it should be a vastly different Rangers side on Wednesday against East Stirling and should really be a comfortable win. Be interesting to see John Fleck involved as well. Hopefully he does well. icon14.gif

I think we've definately missed Hutton driving down the right tbh shows how much of an asset he is. There just seemed to be a lack of something in the last two matches and I would think we do need something more in the middle and something more cutting edge. Also not sure Burke is as effective on the left, and certainly agree with Gary's assessment of him there. Burke annoys me because I see in him the potential to be a really great winger.

On the plus side, we've come through two banana skins that in recent season we would probably have at least drawn if not lost. We're still four points clear and it's not as if our rivals are exactly all that great a side at the moment.

• SI Staff

Yeah, this has been Whittaker's chance to show he is capable of filling in for Hutton and I don't think he's taken it. He's not particularly done anything wrong though. I think he'll get better over time though but he's not going to get a chance to play there unless Hutton goes.

It's a blow to lose Thomson as well. He's been excellent this season and we'll miss him badly in the month or so he's going to be out. Is he not also one yellow away from a ban. Wonder if we should start him and get him to put in a dirty challenge, get booked and take him off so that he serves his ban while out.

• SI Staff

John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck John Fleck

Up ye

Whittaker has done ok tbf, he just isn't the driving force that Hutton is. Hutton cutting in from the right really causes problems, is a more aggressive and imo more talented player now that Whittaker. People who say we should take the money, I don't think they know what they are talking about tbh, although tbf £10M would be nice but then we'd need to find that drive from somewhere else.

If Burke can get his act together and be consistent then he and Hutton could make a superb partnership on the right for a few years to come. Hutton is only 23, personally I think he should stay a couple more years before moving on, and if he keeps improving we'll get so much more. Short termism can gtf.

I've always been positive about Thomson as well, really like him a lot and I think quite often what he contributes is overlooked - until he isn't there.

Hopefully see some of the kids against East Stirling and see what the future holds, although hopefully not too far in the future.

Fulham have apparently offered £2.5million for Cousin today and it's been knocked back.

If, and only if, we have a replacement lined up then i'd tell them £3million and they can have him. I like the guy as a player, but if he doesnt want to be here then a quick profit is to be made, wish him well and get the cash in.

• SI Staff

As long as Cousin is happy to stay and we don't have a replacement lined up then we should hang on to him until the end of the season. Reports this morning that we rejected a £2m bid and Fulham are going to come back with more.

He has a £3m clause which is active at the end of the season, so I would demand £4m now tbh if they want him that bad. Otherwise there will be takers at the end of the season.

AGENT: COUSIN WANTS FULHAM MOVE

Rangers striker Daniel Cousin has set his heart on a move to Fulham, his agent has stated.

The 30-year-old Gabon frontman has reportedly been the subject of a firm bid from the Cottagers of around £2million, however neither Fulham or Rangers have confirmed the offer.

Agent Willie McKay told the Daily Express: “Daniel wants to go and it’s now up to the two clubs to decide if a fee can be agreed.

“Walter Smith wants to keep the player but he can leave anyway if a club bids £3million.â€

Cousin joined Rangers from Lens in August, signing for a fee of around £1million, and has scored eight goals in 17 league appearances.

Sounds like McKay stirring but we really could all do without this kind of crap.

its kind of sad when a player has "his heart set" on playing for a team like fulham who are either going to be fighting relegation or or mid table mediocrity at best rather than playing for the OF, winning trophies and playing in europe.

similar to the hutton stuff and boumsong a few years back, its a win-win situation for you, either keep the player or get a good profit on him

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

its kind of sad when a player has "his heart set" on playing for a team like fulham who are either going to be fighting relegation or or mid table mediocrity at best rather than playing for the OF, winning trophies and playing in europe.

similar to the hutton stuff and boumsong a few years back, its a win-win situation for you, either keep the player or get a good profit on him

It's all about money, and some ridiculous feeling of the need to play in England. But tbh I still don't rate him so £3m, which I'm sure we'll hold out for, would be more then welcome. Can't see him being all that good for Fulham but thats his lookout.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has placed a £3.5million price tag on striker Luke Moore.

Rangers have been linked with a move for the 21-year-old, although a firm bid has not yet been forthcoming for the England Under 21 international.

Gers boss Walter Smith has spoken to O'Neill about the youngster, but his interest has cooled somewhat after being quoted a price by the Villa boss.

"Rangers haven't come in for Luke in terms of a bid, but Walter Smith asked me about him and that's as far as it's gone," he told the Birmingham Mail.

"Is there a £3.5million price tag? Well, yes, obviously because Luke is a Premier League player and that's what he would cost in this day and age. I spoke to Walter maybe about a week ago and he hasn't been in touch with me since."

Moore has just one Premier League goal from 15 league appearances this season.

Luke Moore, don't really know much about him to comment, any good?

has potential, but seems to have some sort of attitude problem. Works hard but ultimately wont be good enough for where we're hoping to go. Would most probably score an obscene amount in the SPL if he can be arsed, probably wouldnt do much in Europe.

• SI Staff

He's not the type of player you would play as a lone striker though is he? Is he not more of the type who likes to run at defenders rather than play with his back to goal?

Originally posted by atvkwkad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Luke Moore, don't really know much about him to comment, any good?

has potential, but seems to have some sort of attitude problem. Works hard but ultimately wont be good enough for where we're hoping to go. Would most probably score an obscene amount in the SPL if he can be arsed, probably wouldnt do much in Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You already have Boyd for that icon14.gif

Can't believe Cousin went for 3mill, surely the gulf in finances between the epl and others cant be sustainable.

Schalke have already said that Larsen isnt for sale, so it would pobably take more than £1.5million to get him.

I'd like to see Luke Moore come to Rangers, but not at the £3.5million price quoted. He's not worth that.

O'Neill may say he's a EPL player, but EPL prices are over inflated, so if thats the price we have to pay, Luke Moore wont be a Rangers player.

Originally posted by Ter:

He's not the type of player you would play as a lone striker though is he? Is he not more of the type who likes to run at defenders rather than play with his back to goal?

yeah, he's certainly not a lone striker - dont remember seeing him play as one lately, but he's definitely someone who needs to be facing goal.

• SI Staff
I'd like to see Luke Moore come to Rangers, but not at the £3.5million price quoted. He's not worth that.

I don't think we really need him to be honest. I think he's a similar type of player to Nacho Novo, Steven Naismith, Chris Burke, DaMarcus Beasley, Jean-Claude Darcheville and Thomas Buffel rather than someone to replace Cousin.

Originally posted by Anton:

surely the gulf in finances between the epl and others cant be sustainable.

Will only last as long as the huge TV deals last for. Already seen signs of a potential fall off in world-wide audience figures since more and more broadcasters switch to PPV (China did recently then got almost no subscribers and filmed a bunch of adverts getting EPL managers and players to basically beg folks to sign up) so wouldn't be surprised to see clubs reign it in a bit over the next few years as the figures perhaps drop off accordingly. Next round of negotiations is next year I think?

Archived