The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by McD:

This week is going to be a long one. Just hope we don't get to an hour before the window shuts and Hutton goes.

Follow Follow is always fun on the last day when you get somebody saying they think somebody is signing - then the server falls apart on itself

Naismith signing at the end of the transfer window and then FF being down for about an hour was quite interesting icon_biggrin.gif

wouldn't mind the Dundee Utd keeper Szamo tbh, not sure if he'd be happy playing 2nd fiddle to McGregor though. Quite an easy first half here it sounds, took some time to start though

Originally posted by TM:

Naismith signing at the end of the transfer window and then FF being down for about an hour was quite interesting icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, that was pretty mental.

Always remember the end of the August window in Eck's last season. Sure we brought in Bernard, Maniero, Jeffers, maybe someone else within a couple of hours. Those signings worked out well. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by LycanGav:

Guys, realistic chances of Smith dropping McGregor if Szamo makes the jump to you? Much too good to sit on your bench every week, utterly adored at Tannadice, would hate to see "the monk" wasted.

None, IMO, but Smith has a liking for McGregor. I'd like to see us sign a new no1.

Why would you drop such a quality goalie....3-0 up and to be fair I’ve switched off must emit its enjoyable to be sitting three up and clear but I’ll emit I like the nervy endings to games….. strolling it. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gudge:

im not sure why wee need another reserve keeper tbh, what's wrong with Graeme Smith?

I expect not good enough/not experienced is the reason

I doubt Szamo would get in the team much, so I'd rather he went somewhere else as he is a good keeper and too good to waste on a bench

and as far as I'm concerned, Bernard, Maniero and Jeffers are transfers that never existed icon_cool.gif put Capucho, Emerson and Ostenstadt on that list icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Thankfully Hutton anticipates fouls so well - with some of the challenges that are put in on him, I fear the worst for him.

you mean jumps to the floor before he gets touched?hes really good at that

'anticipate fouls'is a new inventive phrase for it though.WP

Fine win today... icon14.gif

Struggled to start with as St Mirren gave as good as they got for the first 20mins. However, we scored a fine opening goal and after their centre-half was sent off we really went for it and killed the game off by half-time.

As such, the second half was a bit of a non-event but Whittaker's second was well worth waiting for. Lad really is coming onto a game at left back. We had several other chances that we should have taken to really help the goal difference but overall 4-0 isn't bad going.

Hutton really showed his class today. His pace, close control and general ability was superb and he'll be a big miss when/if he finally moves. However, we've other players that are just as dangerous - Burke doing well again, JCD looking sharper by the minute and Ferguson finally showing the form that will win us trophies.

Long way to go but progress is pretty darn good! icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Thankfully Hutton anticipates fouls so well - with some of the challenges that are put in on him, I fear the worst for him.

you mean jumps to the floor before he gets touched?hes really good at that

'anticipate fouls'is a new inventive phrase for it though.WP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's he supposed to do, stand there and allow some clogger to smash up his legs?

Listening to Walter's comments on new signings, he is giving off some fairly laid back opinions but I hope that, come the end of the week, lessons from previous years have been learned and we dont rush about signing players just for the sake of it. There are few quality players around at this time of the year and anyone coming in has to be able to do a job this season better than what is there at the moment.

• SI Staff

I think we're in a better position this year as we've got a pretty strong squad, some good youngsters coming through and strength in depth.

Panic signings are not required. If Walter is worried about anything then there might be a loan deal sorted if we can't get someone decent on a perm basis.

Losing Cousin was a blow (although understandable from a financial perspective) and I'd like to see him replaced.

We're also short of cover at centre-half and still require a creative player. However, Id rather we didn't waste money unless the player coming in really was worth it. Webster, Broadfoot and Papac are capable of doing reasonably well at centre-half and if we are to bring in a creative player, I'd prefer we spent decent money and secured a genuine quality player.

We're in a good position right now and I wouldn't like to see us look back in May and say if only we had bought so-and-so to beefen up our squad.

• SI Staff

Are we really that short at centre half though?

Webster is on the way back (was meant to have played in a bounce game on Sat but I dunno if it went ahead) Papac and Broadfoot can all play there. At a stretch I'm sure Whittaker and Hemdani could fill in if needed.

I would say we're weaker in central midfield with Amdy Faye and Dean Furman the only real central midfielders behind Ferguson, Thomson and Hemdani who all seem to play at the same time anyway.

Papers reporting this am that Hutton is in London to finalise details of his move to Spurs

Ref signings: I agree that there is cover at DC but a long term replacement for Weir should be a priority either now or at the end of the season. A creative midfielder and a quality striker would be good.

Originally posted by Ter:

Are we really that short at centre half though?

Webster is on the way back (was meant to have played in a bounce game on Sat but I dunno if it went ahead) Papac and Broadfoot can all play there. At a stretch I'm sure Whittaker and Hemdani could fill in if needed.

I would say we're weaker in central midfield with Amdy Faye and Dean Furman the only real central midfielders behind Ferguson, Thomson and Hemdani who all seem to play at the same time anyway.

I agree all those players can play there but for various reasons I'm not sure we could rely on either of them. If £2.3million can buy you a diamond like Cuellar, I'd prefer we did that.

Like you say central midfield is also a problem and I'd like to see us strengthen there as well. An injury to Ferguson or Hemdani would really stretch us. Furman has good reviews but is still inexperienced. Again, I'd like to see us bring in another player.

Oh dear, this could be a horrible week.

If Hutton leaves now then we will be rushing into signings and paying over the odds because clubs know we have the money. Don't fancy Samaras at all, doesn't seem physical enough if he is expected to replace Cousin. Any deal for a striker only needs to be a loan deal.

The keeper situation isn't a huge concern but will be interesting to see if anything gets sorted out.

Originally posted by brett.spurs:

Will Hutton be a good signing for us then if it goes through?

I've only seen him play for Scotland and he looked pretty decent going forward, whats he like defensively?

Hutton would improve any team. he is better going forward that defending but generally he's pretty good in that regard.

Just don't make the mistake that he'd solve all your defensive woes.

• SI Staff
Will Hutton be a good signing for us then if it goes through?

I've only seen him play for Scotland and he looked pretty decent going forward, whats he like defensively?

Depends really. He is seemingly being forced out when he doesn't want to go and has another addition to a young family on the way so might not settle. He'll miss the motherland just like any normal Scottish person would.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will Hutton be a good signing for us then if it goes through?

Depends really. He is seemingly being forced out when he doesn't want to go and has another addition to a young family on the way so might not settle. He'll miss the motherland just like any normal Scottish person would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the end of the day Ter, if he doesnt want to go he wont. No amount of force can move him, he's got a 5 year contract.

Murray will get the blame in all this but as was said at the first knockback. This move is down to Hutton and Hutton alone.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Bizarrely, the BBC website is reporting now that he will not sign now but will wait till the end of the season??- cant work out anyones logic in that!

BBC is usually slow and unrelieable at best for these sort of things. Either way, I hope its finished with today, because time is running out for any replacements, short-term or otherwise.

Archived