The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• SI Staff

McGregor is a good shot stopper but he doesn't deal with crosses too well. He's a good overall keeper but I wouldn't put him in the £7-9M bracket.

I think we'd sell him if we got an offer of £4-5M.

Be interesting to see what happens now as Alexander is going to get his chance when McGregor is suspended (presumably for the replay).

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Our U19 team had better luck in cup competition yesterday as they beat Whitehill Welfare 11-0 at Murray Park.

Goals came from Chris Craig (3), Andrew Shinnie, Giorgos Efrem, Tomas Kind-Bendicksen, Isa Bagci, Ross Harvey, Michael Donald, Andrew Little and an OG.

• SI Staff

Doesn't look like the replay will be Wednesday then. I can see us having to play on a Monday night or something like that even though we'll have a game on the Saturday and Wednesday in between.

THE SFA's Emergency Committe will meet at lunchtime today to decide on a date for the Scottish Cup 5th round replay between Rangers and Hibs.

The sides drew 0-0 at Easter Road yesterday and Rangers were keen for the replay to go ahead on Wednesday at Ibrox as the club has no free midweeks in the remainder of February.

Hibs, however, were not willing to agree to a February 6 date and now the football authorities have had to take over.

An SFA spokesman said today: "In the rounds leading up to the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup it is for the clubs, in the first instance, to come to an agreement on dates for postponements and replays - with the Scottish FA helping facilitate this wherever possible.

"There has been no agreement between Hibernian and Rangers regarding the replay of their 5th Round Tie and, consequently, a meeting of the Scottish FA Emergency Committee is being convened to discuss the issue and come up with a suitable date. This meeting will take place at 12:30pm today."

• SI Staff

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself, oh well icon_wink.gif

The replay against Hibs is going to be on Wednesday March 5th if we get knocked out of the UEFA Cup. Otherwise it will be Saturday 8th March when the quarter finals are due to take place and we would then face Livingston/Partick on Wednesday 19th March.

I thought the Wednesday 19th March date was a possible date for us to play Celtic. Not to mention the St Mirren and Motherwell games that are still to be sorted out.

They should just move the Celtic v Rangers game to the last day of the season, the polis would just love it.

If we get through to the UEFA Quarter Finals and the Scottish Cup semi-finals then they aren't going to be able to fit these games in before the split icon_biggrin.gif

There are a few teams facing the same problem though. Motherwell must also have quite a few to fit it in and with their pitch the way it is they are likely to lose a few more. What happens if their game with Dundee goes to a replay?! icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

SAT 09 FEB: Falkirk (H) - SPL

WED 13 FEB: Panathinaikos (H) - UEFA Cup

SUN 17 FEB: Kilmarnock (A) - SPL

THU 21 FEB: Panathinaikos (A) - UEFA Cup

SUN 24 FEB: Gretna (H) - SPL

WED 27 FEB: Hearts (A) - SPL

SAT 01 MAR: Aberdeen (H) - SPL

WED 05 MAR: Hibernian (H) - Scottish Cup / Werder Bremen or Braga (H) - UEFA Cup

SAT 08 MAR: Free / Hibernian (H) - Scottish Cup / Partick or Livingston (H) - Scottish Cup

WED 12 MAR: Free / Werder Bremen or Braga (H) - UEFA Cup

SUN 16 MAR: Aberdeen/Dundee Utd (N) - League Cup Final

WED 19 MAR: Free / Partick or Livingston (H) - Scottish Cup

SAT 22 MAR: Hibernian (H) - SPL

WED 26 MAR: INTERNATIONALS

SAT 29 MAR: Celtic (H) - SPL

WED 02 APR: Free / UEFA Cup QF

SAT 05 APR: Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

WED 09 APR: Free / UEFA Cup QF

SAT 12 APR: Free / Scottish Cup Semi Final

Still to be scheduled: St Mirren (A) - SPL, Celtic (A) - SPL, Motherwell (A) - SPL

I'm pretty sure the SPL are going to have to provisionally schedule an away game with St Mirren on Saturday 8th March as if we go out the UEFA Cup and Hibs beat us, and Dundee Utd put out St. Mirren then we'll both have a free weekend there. icon_biggrin.gif

So many ifs and buts icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

McGregor has had his red card appeal rejected as well so it looks like Neil Alexander will play against Hibernian in the cup.

Reserves in action tonight away to Kilmarnock. Should be an interesting game with the likes of Steven Smith, Christian Dailly and Nacho Novo all involved.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Reports today that the Lens manager is saying that Cousin played one and a half games for them before going to Rangers and he ( and I ) cant believe that nobody checked this before doing the transfer to Fulham and going to FIFA!

Yeah he obviously hates Cousin. Thing is, ok so he played one and a half games big effing deal. If it was ok for that Liverpool player, it's ok for everyone else. Meanwhile we have a player that can't play.

Wonder whose paying his wages.

I ****ing love ******** on Aberdeen, and the fact we've denied them a final makes it even sweeter. Best chance of silverware gone, being raped of their players, watching their chairman give the manager almost no cash to replace them, just need to get them the **** out of the UEFA Cup and it's another good year for every Aberdeen hating Scotsman (That's around 98% of the population iirc?).

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LycanGav:

But we want a cup, even the diddy one icon_frown.gif

I'd let you have it, would rather have the league icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that was a trade off that could be guaranteed, then I'd accept it.

However, with no trophies for 3 years, I want each and every bit of silverware going.

I'm just greedy like that. icon_biggrin.gif

And no offence, but I'd rather have got Aberdeen - purely because of the comedy value of Aberdeen fans getting all giddy at the prospect of winning a trophy, only to get humped. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

I take it that means that Celtic will have their game against Dundee Utd postponed? icon_biggrin.gif

Aye, but we'll likely fit in the postponed Motherwell game into that slot, so ul :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats assuming Motherwell's pitch is ever playable.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

I take it that means that Celtic will have their game against Dundee Utd postponed? icon_biggrin.gif

Aye, but we'll likely fit in the postponed Motherwell game into that slot, so ul :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats assuming Motherwell's pitch is ever playable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should use the artificial down at Hamilton Palace! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by theholyone:

Just wondering guys have any of you read Spiers book on Le Guen?What did you think of it?

I know Spiers aint too popular with the Rangers support,but the book doesn't really rip Rangers to shreads,It is quite a good read I thought.

I'd rather walk around with a *****y covered arse than buy that toilet paper.

The ****ing scumbag puts the boot into Rangers on a constant basis and try's then to make money from us. I'm glad it has flopped.

JCD's appeal has been rejected.

After the comments from the Lens guys, I suppose that the chances of the Cousin deal going through now are somewhere between slim and hee-haw,so he will be available for the Greek game ( cant spell their name at the moment )

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Don't hold back Jim, tell us how you really feel about him.

I actually saw him at the Open in St Andrews a few years ago when I was working there. I wish I had chined the ****.

Are there not 2 n's in chinned? icon_wink.gif

Sadly I didnt have the bottle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by theholyone:

Just wondering guys have any of you read Spiers book on Le Guen?What did you think of it?

I know Spiers aint too popular with the Rangers support,but the book doesn't really rip Rangers to shreads,It is quite a good read I thought.

I downloaded it to avoid lining Spiers' pockets.

The book is full of nonsense and useless padding. The chapter on Austria Vienna is padded out with page after page of useless guff about their history.

Spiers also tries to blame Le Guen's failing on his religion - there is the constant suggestion from Spiers that Le Guen failed because he was Catholic, despite quotes from Le Guen and his mother that religion had nothing to do with it. Spiers' obsession with the religious side of things even drives him to suggest that Le Guen would have had more success at Celtic.

It's a truly dreadful piece of work. A shame, since Le Guen's tenure at Ibrox, the problems within the club and an analysis of why someone who was so successful at Lyon failed so spectacularly at Ibrox would be a book worth reading.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

It's a truly dreadful piece of work. A shame, since Le Guen's tenure at Ibrox, the problems within the club and an analysis of why someone who was so successful at Lyon failed so spectacularly at Ibrox would be a book worth reading.

I think a lot of football fans wold like an insight to the 6 months he was here, just a pity it was that **** that wrote it.

Lets face it, despite their bleatings, people like Spiers have made a killing from sectarianism and often it is they who fan the flames with their diatribes. Sooner Scottish journalism wakes up to the fact that they are as much to blame as anyone, if not more so, then the sooner we can really get rid of the crap that surrounds the game, but as long as there is money to be made, we all know what happens.

Spiers and his ilk make me sick tbh.

Whitehill don't have the finance of the professional teams like Rangers so that kind of result is reasonably common in the earlier rounds...

Generally our under 19s (and younger teams) are doing pretty well but it's difficult to read anything into it until you start to make £10million on the Alan Hutton's of this world... icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
More importantly, when will we see these guys in first team Walter

Not until we win the title and the pressure is off and Walter can play these boys without much pressure, expectation and demand.

If we had won the title the past couple of years then I expect Walter would be more inclined to include some of the younger players.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Is our youth team really that good? The gap at that level isn't usually that big is it? More importantly, when will we see these guys in first team Walter icon_mad.gif

But erm yes, we rule.

Not only is our youth team that good, it's filled with players who are still eligible for a younger age group.

Archived