The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fbc_89:

Broadfoot casually blasting the ball out for a corner under no pressure icon_biggrin.gif

given no shout by anyone?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not trying to criticise him or anything, bizarre situation what with their attacker giving up and walking away and all.

The Panathanaikos keeper has looked very decent, pretty drab game otherwise.

it's been a very strange game for us... we play with three dm's, simao, tziolis and matos and karagounis can't give us the through ball...

If Peseiro gets Gonzalez in for Tziolis, we will work better on the offensive front.

At the back the only problem is Novo and Goumas. Whenever Novo goes near him, we are in all kind of troubles

what a pile of pish icon14.gif lets hope Panathinaikos are as baws as finishing as they were tonight in a week's time. Should have started with McCulloch upfront with Burke/Naismith alongside him, would have pushed a bit more than we did all night

boring, turgid long ball from Adam to McCulloch as predicted before - Adam then got punted and we actually looked a bit better with chances appearing, Novo's lack of match practice costing us though. Really can't understand why we tend to make the final sub (usually somebody who might go at the man and create) in the last 10 minutes and it becomes a "charge!" situation, even Eck did the exact same icon13.gif must be some tactic that only Scottish managers seem to like

should have went to Greece with a lead, but because of bad tactics and poor finishing, going to be tough in Greece - although we didn't conceed at least, so a goal in Greece can make all the difference.

Thought the defence was pretty good tonight though, Broadfoot should be teaching Burke and Adam how to cross

Pretty drab game overall. Showed again why we need a player with a bit of spark and someone that can take players on. It got better with Burke & Cousin on, but it was too late to really make an impact.

Novo did well and was unlucky not to put one of his chances away. It'll be tough getting through now without taking a lead over there, might even go beyond the 90 mins if the finishing tonight was anything to go by.

Okay, heres some rumours ive been told concerning Kris Boyd and Chris Burke. Before anyone has a go at me for it being a load of crap, i heard it from a reliable source who has relatives within Ibrox.

Well, the two players supposedly were caught dabbling in some cocaine earlier on this season. This would explain their ommissions from the squad at beginning of season. But Burke has been able to come off it, and appeared "out of the blue" into the first team. Boyd however is still struggling to come away from it.

This would explain why Walt is dropping our top goalscorer so much. Yes, i know there are other reasons why he is left out of the 433 formation, but if this is true then it could be the main factor.

Originally posted by matty_8:

Okay, heres some rumours ive been told concerning Kris Boyd and Chris Burke. Before anyone has a go at me for it being a load of crap, i heard it from a reliable source who has relatives within Ibrox.

Well, the two players supposedly were caught dabbling in some cocaine earlier on this season. This would explain their ommissions from the squad at beginning of season. But Burke has been able to come off it, and appeared "out of the blue" into the first team. Boyd however is still struggling to come away from it.

This would explain why Walt is dropping our top goalscorer so much. Yes, i know there are other reasons why he is left out of the 433 formation, but if this is true then it could be the main factor.

Nonsense.

Boyd has been in the matchday 18 in the majority of games, possibly even every game. If he was on the Columbian marching powder, there would be no way he would be in the squad, due to the risks of a positive drugs test.

was at the game tonight as my mates had a spare ticket and i felt like a good booze session. i was hoping you lot do well in europe as it might distract you from the league but after watching that sh*t i doubt you lot will go any further. Why walter never played burke from the start i will never know, he is the one player that offers you something different and is always good for an assist or the odd goal. Also why take off adams and push mc culloch out wide instead of leaving two up front, to me it seemed like rangers needed a goal at home to have any chance of getting through to the next round yet walter seemed more concerned with conceding a goal from the start. I know not conceding at home in europe is important but the greeks are dangerous on their own turf and i felt you needed a lead to have any chance of getting through.

Originally posted by matty_8:

With respect - that's utter, utter nonsense.

As for the game itself - only a combination of bad finishing and good goalkeeping stopped us winning at least 3 - 0.

I'd say the tactics, while overly conservative; and the team selection, while not to my tastes; worked reasonably well in terms of creating chances and reducing Pana's own dangers.

We're more than capable of winning over there and the constant negativity really is starting to grate on other forums. Mind you we're not the only fans needing to take a pinch of realism with their analysis of games... icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
was at the game tonight as my mates had a spare ticket and i felt like a good booze session. i was hoping you lot do well in europe as it might distract you from the league but after watching that sh*t i doubt you lot will go any further. Why walter never played burke from the start i will never know, he is the one player that offers you something different and is always good for an assist or the odd goal. Also why take off adams and push mc culloch out wide instead of leaving two up front, to me it seemed like rangers needed a goal at home to have any chance of getting through to the next round yet walter seemed more concerned with conceding a goal from the start. I know not conceding at home in europe is important but the greeks are dangerous on their own turf and i felt you needed a lead to have any chance of getting through.

Were you watching the same game as me? Are you mental? Rangers played quite well and created some good chances and their keeper had a great game. We were hardly troubled.

And Charlie Adam (not Adams) was utter pish and kept giving the ball away. Davis gave the ball away too much as well and probably would have been replaced if we had anyone to bring on.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Mind you we're not the only fans needing to take a pinch of realism with their analysis of games... icon_wink.gif

I don't know about you mate but I am deeply touched that so many of them are concerned about us icon_smile.gif

Agree with everyone else about Adam who has been shocking every time I have seen him lately, although I would say Hemdani and Ferguson gave the ball away more times than I have ever seen either of them as well. We're not helped by having two full backs pushing on when neither of them is much good at distributing the ball - not a criticism of Broadfoot or Papac who are doing all that can be asked of them, but they are out and out defenders so a killer cross is rare from them. At least that will improve as and when the first choice full backs are available.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Had Dame Ndoye ever played football before this game?

Maurice looked a good defender though.

N'Doye is from Senegal and this is his first year in Europe, so he 's still trying to adjust. But he is very talented, so I have high hopes for him. He didn't have a good game yesterday, that's for sure.

Nasief Morris is out only fast DC. He is good, but sometimes does stupid stuff.

It 's weird. Although you really had the edge on physical play, you never really took advantage of it. Both Novo and McSomething are stronger than all our defenders, but hardly made use of their strength.

I think your back line stayed so much behind because our fast striker Salpingidis is faster than everyone on your team.

Originally posted by Ter:

He's not faster than David Weir.

Pace - 20

OK, then. But still, we had two good through balls yesterday that were both swept by your goalkeeper. If your back line wasn't as deep, there would be no goalkeeper there. Where was Weir?

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think your back line stayed so much behind because our fast striker Salpingidis is faster than everyone on your team.

He's not faster than David Weir.

Pace - 20 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is minus 20 isnt it?

I dont see Rangers often enough to make a sound judgement but could someone tell me why Adam seems to be the first name on the teamsheet these days. He is not a winger because he is not fast enough and cant cross and he is not creative or mobile enough to be a midfielder. He cannot be kept in the team on the off chance that we get a feee kick on the edge of their box can he? How many chances of continued mediocrity does he get?

Originally posted by FrazT:

I dont see Rangers often enough to make a sound judgement but could someone tell me why Adam seems to be the first name on the teamsheet these days. How many chances of continued mediocrity does he get?

Adam hasn't been great at times, and I sometimes cringe watching him when he's on the park, but I can only assume Walter sees him as the next Hutton and thinks he will bloom within the next 6-12 months. I remember a few years back there'd be similar moans when Hutton was on the teamsheet and we know how he turned out.

I'm alright with Adam getting a shot, is hasn't cost us dear yet, and until he does something utterly stupid that costs us big, then he'll keep playing every few games.

Originally posted by Lyssien:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Had Dame Ndoye ever played football before this game?

Maurice looked a good defender though.

N'Doye is from Senegal and this is his first year in Europe, so he 's still trying to adjust. But he is very talented, so I have high hopes for him. He didn't have a good game yesterday, that's for sure.

Nasief Morris is out only fast DC. He is good, but sometimes does stupid stuff.

It 's weird. Although you really had the edge on physical play, you never really took advantage of it. Both Novo and McSomething are stronger than all our defenders, but hardly made use of their strength.

I think your back line stayed so much behind because our fast striker Salpingidis is faster than everyone on your team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why did Panathinkos not start with there best 11?

Originally posted by celtic_fc:

May I just say,A 'Celtic'fan going to Ibrox sitting with the Rangers supporters,wanting them to win is vile

and I hope you don't return to Parkhead...ever

Originally posted by theholyone:

Nah, we started with our best "defensive" 11 lineup. The only one missing was Sariegi for Goumas. In the rematch, Ivansits is going to start on the left side, Simao on the bench, and probably upfront it will be Salpingidis and Postiga or Manucho.

Originally posted by eldiego1984:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

Nah, we started with our best "defensive" 11 lineup. The only one missing was Sariegi for Goumas. In the rematch, Ivansits is going to start on the left side, Simao on the bench, and probably upfront it will be Salpingidis and Postiga or Manucho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about the argetine playermaker you have?where was he?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by celtic_fc:

May I just say,A 'Celtic'fan going to Ibrox sitting with the Rangers supporters,wanting them to win is vile

and I hope you don't return to Parkhead...ever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you don't return to Planet Earth...ever

To add to what Eldiego already explained, Ivanschitz (AM L) was benched, probably because Peseiro wanted to field three defensive midfileders (Mattos, Tziolis, Simao). Other than that, Peseiro also likes to rotate a lot (he even rotates goalkeepers!).

In the rematch, I too expect Ivanchitz instead of Simao. Gonzalez may come in as a sub, if we are in dire need of a goal (or two).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by celtic_fc:

Nothing wrong with going to Ibrox, I got invited to the Lyon game for hospitality.

I did find it quite amusing what happened after having the Gretna game postponed, but as there was no direct competition with Celtic I would have had no problem if Rangers had won.

And he is more than welcome at CP anytime as he seems to be able to conduct himself in an appropriate manner in company!

You really are an obnoxious waste of space, why don't you get a grip and grow up.

Team for today:

McGregor

Broadfoot

Cuellar

Weir

Papac

Burke

Fergie

Hemdani

McCulloch

Boyd

Darch

Subs:

Alexander

Dailly

Davis

Novo

Naismith

Furman

Fleck

Back to 442 with Boydy starting. Maybe just maybe a chance of seeing Fleck or Furman for that matter if we can get to 3-0 up.

Archived