The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

How many goals has Boyd scored against Killie since he joined you? He seems to score 2/3 everytime he plays them it feels like, and I fully expect the same today.

Something like 8 against them since he joined us and 6 of them at Rugby Park.

I have jinxed him today though, got money on him to score first and at anytime. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by the BBC:

Cuellar targets Spanish call-up

Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar believes that his performances for the Ibrox club will lead to a call-up to the Spanish international side.

The 26-year-old has been in impressive form for the Ibrox club since signing in the summer from Osasuna.

However, uncapped Cuellar admits that he is unlikely to feature for Spain in this summer's Euro 2008 finals.

"I definitely think it is possible to get a chance for Spain but I know it will be difficult," said Cuellar.

"It's probably impossible to make it before Euro 2008 because I've never been involved at international level before. But it might be possible in the future.

"The Spanish press and public are taking more of an interest in what I'm doing now at Rangers than they did when I was playing with Osasuna," he added.

Originally posted by Jorg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

How many goals has Boyd scored against Killie since he joined you? He seems to score 2/3 everytime he plays them it feels like, and I fully expect the same today.

Something like 8 against them since he joined us and 6 of them at Rugby Park.

I have jinxed him today though, got money on him to score first and at anytime. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah \o/ icon_cool.gif

I was at my first Rangers for 8 years yesterday. I haven't been able to go to any due to distance, money and timing issues so it feels good to feel like a real fan again (as laughable as that sounds).

It really dawned on me yesterday how many of our players I have a serious dislike towards. I think I only appreciate McGregor, Carlos and Brahim these days. Naisy and Fleck getting some love even though i've barely seen them play.

Burke was absolutely dire along with JCD's finishing.

I was so sure Killie's first effort in the opening 5 minutes was trundling past Allan into a gaping net. Got to love Boyd scoring and the Locke chanting.

Kenny Miller can gtf.

The Rangers Football Club plc today (Wednesday, 20 February 2008) published its unaudited interim results for the six months to 31 December 2007.

FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS

· £10.0m (43.6%) uplift in turnover to £33.1m (2006: £23.1m).

· Increase of £3.8m in profit before interest and tax to £3.1m (2006: loss of £0.7m).

· Retained profit increased by £3.8m to £2.3m (2006: loss of £1.5m).

Following publication of the interim results, Rangers chairman Sir David Murray, said: “These results are satisfying in that they reflect the progress the Club is making both on and off the pitch.

“We invested significantly in our playing squad at the start of the season and, as we are leading the SPL and have qualified for the CIS Cup Final, that investment has been fully justified and we are very satisfied with the performance of the team to date.

“It is also particularly pleasing to see the Murray Park investment producing returns, both in footballing success for our younger players and in the progression of home grown talent to the first team.â€

Sir David Murray said: “We are pleased to see the Club return a profit in excess of £3 million and a significant uplift in turnover. Participation in the UEFA Champions League was, of course, highly beneficial to the Club.

“It is very important to pay tribute to the commitment made by our supporters in the last six months. They travelled extensively in Europe at considerable cost and, at the same time, ensured excellent attendances at Ibrox and at away domestic fixtures. We are very grateful for this continuing support.

“While playing in the Champions League was important to the Club, it is also essential for us to continue investment throughout the business in order to deliver long-term stability and success.â€

CHAIRMAN’S STATEMENT IN FULL

The first six months of the financial year saw us qualify and participate in the UEFA Champions League Group stages against the champions of France and Germany together with the pre-tournament favourites Barcelona. We narrowly failed to qualify for the last 16 in what many termed the toughest qualifying group in the competition. The glamorous ties against Barcelona were enjoyed by our supporters, whilst the result in Lyon was one of the best in the Club's European history. Attention then turned to progression within the UEFA Cup.

Domestically our participation in the CIS Insurance Cup Final is assured and qualification has been gained into the fifth round of the Scottish Cup. Our prime focus is however on winning the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Turnover for the six months to 31 December 2007 increased by £10.0m to £33.1m primarily due to the UEFA Champions League performance and market pool income, and the positive impact on ticketing and hospitality sales. As well as benefiting the Club financially, qualification to and competition in the spotlight of the UEFA Champions League has also increased the profile of the playing squad, with many enhancing their reputations in a wider arena.

Operating costs have increased on the prior year as we have strengthened the number, composition and overall competitiveness of the playing squad. Profit before interest and tax in the current period of £3.1m is an improvement of £3.8m on the six months to 31 December 2006 and reflects the performance in Europe.

The interest charge of £0.8m is higher than the same period last year due to the increase in the net debt over the period following the summer signings to strengthen the football squad. The resultant retained profit of £2.3m for the six months to 31 December 2007 compares to a retained loss of £1.5m for the equivalent period last year. Participation in the UEFA Cup will provide some financial benefit in the second half of the year although this is not as financially lucrative as the UEFA Champions League.

It is satisfying once again to see the investment in Murray Park producing returns, both in terms of footballing success and in the progression of home grown talent into the first team squad. In January, media speculation forced the Club to comment on potential development and regeneration initiatives around Ibrox. We are continuing to review our options on this project, in conjunction with a number of other parties, and no proposals will be finalised until a full evaluation exercise has been undertaken.

In the 2007 Annual Report I commented that we had renewed confidence and momentum heading into the new season. This has, as expected, proved to be justified and credit must be given to Walter Smith and his management team for the performance and effort of the playing squad in the current season. We look forward to the remaining months of the season with anticipation as we compete to bring silverware to Ibrox.

Sir David E Murray

Originally posted by Anton:

Correct me if I am wrong:

the reason you are making a £3mill profit and not a £6mill loss is the 9million from hutton?

the Hutton sale is not mentioned in the figures - we can fake figures just like Liewell tbh icon_cool.gif

the reason you are making a £3mill profit and not a £6mill loss is the 9million from hutton?

ummmmm

Originally posted by Frankie:

The Rangers Football Club plc today (Wednesday, 20 February 2008) published its unaudited interim results for the six months to 31 December 2007.

Wrong.

The figures quoted are for the 6 months to 31st December 2007. Hutton was sold on the 29th of January. So his sale (and Cousin's, if it goes through) should appear in the 6 month figures in July.

Yeah mate that works as an accountant for a Car firm gave the same impression…it was the first thing I said was well Hutton would help that! So the results are ever more promising.

I see Celtic trying to do a Rangers in Europe night with fans making a graphic, Failed to impress why did they only have a Small part involved, but then again it is Celtic ….Probably too much to give the opposite main stand the green bin bags on a stick! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sav112:

Yeah mate that works as an accountant for a Car firm gave the same impression…it was the first thing I said was well Hutton would help that! So the results are ever more promising.

I see Celtic trying to do a Rangers in Europe night with fans making a graphic, Failed to impress why did they only have a Small part involved, but then again it is Celtic ….Probably too much to give the opposite main stand the green bin bags on a stick! icon_biggrin.gif

well done, you can wave coloured cards good icon_rolleyes.gif . its a shame you dont get trophies for it, you could have done with 1 the past few years

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well done, you can wave coloured cards good

You don't wave them, you simply hold them up. It's not hard icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats why ours must've been crap then icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sav112:

they still putting song words in the back of the cards at ibrox? icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe we should put the words to Liverpool songs on them? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, onto tonight's game. Jim Spence was saying this morning that Lee McCulloch is suffering from a bug so is a doubt for the game. Hopefully he'll play as I think he's our best option in the wide left role.

4-5-1 again possibly with this formation:

________________McGregor________________

Broadfoot___Cuellar________Weir____Papac

____Hemdani_____Ferguson_______Davis____

Novo___________________________McCulloch

_________________Boyd___________________

We're definitely capable of getting a result but I expect Pana to be more dangerous than they were at Ibrox which may actually help us find gaps when we attack.

Should be quite an exciting game I think - both teams having nothing to lose.

Boyd to miss at least one chance and spawn a 10 page thread on FF, although him getting picked in a 4-5-1 would spawn that on it's own icon_biggrin.gif

I think with Panathinaikos having Ivanschitz back, they will have more creativity but hopefully their finishing is as bad as it was last week. Last time we were in Athens against the same team, we were able to come away with a 1-1 draw with such stars as Capucho and Emerson near the team (Emerson actually scoring the goal) icon_biggrin.gif pretty much didn't deserve to lose either, lost a goal in the dying minutes

if the defence can keep it solid and we can create chances, I think we can get a goal past their keeper, but it all depends on the attitude of all the Gers players on the night

Just wanted to visit before the game and wish you all the best of luck and may the better team win...

Nah, just kidding, I hope you crash and burn and we score three times... Our lineup has been announced because we are arrogant like and it is: Galinovic; Nilsson on the right, Vyntra on the left, Goumas and Moris at the back, Matos and Tziolis in the centre, Ivanschitz on the left, Karagounis on the right, and Postiga-Salpingidis upfront... PAAAAME MORI TRIFILARA (sorry for the Greek)

Originally posted by eldiego1984:

Just wanted to visit before the game and wish you all the best of luck and may the better team win...

Nah, just kidding, I hope you crash and burn and we score three times... Our lineup has been announced because we are arrogant like and it is: Galinovic; Nilsson on the right, Vyntra on the left, Goumas and Moris at the back, Matos and Tziolis in the centre, Ivanschitz on the left, Karagounis on the right, and Postiga-Salpingidis upfront... PAAAAME MORI TRIFILARA (sorry for the Greek)

where in manucho??!

• SI Staff
Originally posted by eldiego1984:

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm expecting another tight match! Should hopefully be a good one!

Archived