The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by jimbo22:

P.S

You'll never win away icon_razz.gif

we have won plenty of times away in the uefa cup, we got to the final recently you know icon_wink.gif.

honest question, are you just trying to wind up the celtic fans here or are you standards that low just now that you count getting to the last 16 of the uefa cup as a sucess?

anyway congrat on your qf, i was hoping you would , for the sake of the OF game, couldn't care less otherwise as it could possibly hinder you league chances.

dont hink you deserved to go through but panathanaikos can only blame themselves, they should have wrapped it up before then. i got the impressing that they thought you would never score

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tony_cfc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

P.S

we have won plenty of times away in the uefa cup, we got to the final recently you know icon_wink.gif.

honest question, are you just trying to wind up the celtic fans here or are you standards that low just now that you count getting to the last 16 of the uefa cup as a sucess?

anyway congrat on your qf, i was hoping you would lose , for the sake of the OF game, couldn't care less otherwise as it could possibly hinder you league chances.

dont hink you deserved to go through but panathanaikos can only blame themselves, they should have wrapped it up before then. i got the impressing that they thought you would never score </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith just admitted that we were better, but peacemaker still has 24 awards and awaits for some company...

* Disclaimer: I will be bitter for a couple of days after this you should know that most comments are meant in an entirely joking way and i don't mean any attacks personally... except Peacemaker for the hateful 7 in his nick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

P.S

anyway congrat on your qf, i was hoping you would , for the sake of the OF game, couldn't care less otherwise as it could possibly hinder you league chances.

dont hink you deserved to go through but panathanaikos can only blame themselves, they should have wrapped it up before then. i got the impressing that they thought you would never score </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm winding up, we got to the CL last 16 first, so when you done it this season all we got was the "first team to do the last 16 of the CL twice"

Originally posted by eldiego1984:

Smith just admitted that we were better, but peacemaker still has 24 awards and awaits for some company...

* Disclaimer: I will be bitter for a couple of days after this you should know that most comments are meant in an entirely joking way and i don't mean any attacks personally... except Peacemaker for the hateful 7 in his nick

Doesn't matter who was better, we desereved to go through because we scored away and you didn't. Sour grapes.

• SI Staff

We weren't the better side in that game and struggled until we made the changes in the second half. Adam was absolutely shockingly bad. We won through and I'm sure we'll be up for it against Werder Bremen.

Was a really good goal for them to take the lead as well and they nearly done the same again. They dive too much though.

MON THE GERS!

btw never thought i would say this but allan mcgregor is turning out a pretty good keeper. prone to the odd mistake but his shot stopping has been good recently and again tonight

his problem is the "prone to mistakes" though, especially when he flaps at low crosses. Shotstopping is great though, certainly one of his strengths icon14.gif

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stonini90:

So thank you rangers....hahahaha

Why is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

olympiakos fan here...long story.

Thanx again. still laughing-.

Originally posted by stonini90:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stonini90:

Why is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

olympiakos fan here...long story.

Thanx again. still laughing-. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good, have a laugh on us icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

btw never thought i would say this but allan mcgregor is turning out a pretty good keeper. prone to the odd mistake but his shot stopping has been good recently and again tonight

his problem is the "prone to mistakes" though, especially when he flaps at low crosses. Shotstopping is great though, certainly one of his strengths icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've noticed that about the low crosses tbh, its seems more to do with decision making rather than him flapping i think, sometimes he'll palm it to an opposition player when he should maybe just let it go

and btw remind me never to bet against you i europe again, i've lost count of times you have beat my coupons. might start going for draws as im not going to bet you to win icon_biggrin.gif

im sure its the same for some of you betting against us against the big teams at home in the CL

and btw remind me never to bet against you i europe again, i've lost count of times you have beat my coupons. might start going for draws as im not going to bet you to win icon_biggrin.gif

im sure its the same for some of you betting against us against the big teams at home in the CL

I never bet on any of the OF.

Originally posted by Ter:

We weren't the better side in that game and struggled until we made the changes in the second half. Adam was absolutely shockingly bad. We won through and I'm sure we'll be up for it against Werder Bremen.

Was a really good goal for them to take the lead as well and they nearly done the same again. They dive too much though.

MON THE GERS!

We certainly were not the worse side in that match even with the hopeless Adam, and we were well the better side at Ibrox. Over the piece, we totally deserved to go through.

Wuv you too mr sour icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by stonini90:

kindly do us a favor and go back to your greek hole where you have been hiding for the last ten years...

Although your reactions (olympiacos fans) to the boring game you have been playing throughout the season is fairly amusing, when you think what you said about Markarian and Panathinaikos back then...

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eldiego1984:

Wuv you too mr sour icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No hard feelings then you totally undeserved, pish poor team that will get thrashed by Werder icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

don't actually agree with the idea that we fully deserved to win. Should probably have had some sort of lead to take to Greece, but hardly attacked until we got some subs on in the later part of the 2nd half

pretty much two ordinary teams matched down the middle apart from a stunning finish which looked like it was a fluke looking at Panathinaikos' finishing from long range in both legs icon_biggrin.gif and us getting the away goal which was jammy, but well finished .

I expect Werder will be too strong for us, but as said they said that about Lyon in France and that we would finish bottom of the CL group

Driving at the time of the goal………………get in there!

Brilliant result after our luck over the last few years. Were usually the ones that missed that open goal to clinch it or go out on goal difference.

Well done the Gers. icon14.gif

well done Scottish team..... icon14.gif

kindly do us a favor and go back to your greek hole where you have been hiding for the last ten years...

Although your reactions (olympiacos fans) to the boring game you have been playing throughout the season is fairly amusing, when you think what you said about Markarian and Panathinaikos back then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-0 LUA LUA,TOROSIDIS,KOVASEVIC,NUNEZ...COME AGAIN

Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

haha how undeserved. anti football pays off again.

Where as your cavalier 3 shots on goal and 34% possession doesn't. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

playing against europe's best>>playing against average joe and his 10 mates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We played "anti-football" against Barcelona at home and had more shots and more possession than you.

So what the fuck were you lot playing last night?

Love the bitterness btw. The quadruple is still on. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

Yes James

In the last 2 years you have failed to make it with the best teams in europe in the last 16.

hehehehehe the wee holy one is hurting.

we can at least keep the Scottish co efficient going in the right way icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye getting eliminated in the champions league will sure do that my man icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've scored the same number of co-efficient points this season as you have, *******.

Ha just been reading through the last page, made me laugh out loud at some of the posts. Tbf I don't think we deserved to win but football is football and the result is what counts. Werder will be too strong for us i feel although if we perform at home as well as we potentially can then you never know.

Totally agree about Adam. Comfortably the worst player on the pitch, how he started I'l never know. Playing two centre backs at full back was frustrating as there wasn't much to offer going forward. The sooner Whittaker gets back the better.

Still, fantastic result, made much better by the fact i had money on a 1 all draw icon_biggrin.gif.

Originally posted by Rudagar:

Ha just been reading through the last page, made me laugh out loud at some of the posts. Tbf I don't think we deserved to win but football is football and the result is what counts. Werder will be too strong for us i feel although if we perform at home as well as we potentially can then you never know.

Totally agree about Adam. Comfortably the worst player on the pitch, how he started I'l never know. Playing two centre backs at full back was frustrating as there wasn't much to offer going forward. The sooner Whittaker gets back the better.

Still, fantastic result, made much better by the fact i had money on a 1 all draw icon_biggrin.gif.[/quote

Spot on summary there]- Im afraid that the problems at full back have been highlighted in the last 3 or 4 games. Both Broadfoot and Papac are competent enough defensively but as attacking options, which are needed at this level, they just dont have it. Hutton is sorely missed already and we need to get Whittaker back ASP. As I said last week on here, I cannot for the life of me see what the attraction of Adam is and he needs a run in the reserves to improve his technique and fitness.

The size of the squad may well be tested in the coming few weeks with the number of fixtures coming up- no time for boredom then!

Not a good performance last night but over the 2 legs I think we deserved to go through. Novo shows the kind of attitude and commitment that others seem to be lacking. Our midfield are off the pace and out of form and we can't get any consistency of selection up front. Hopefully the return of Thomson will help and we need to decide whether or not Cousin is an option or not.

As for the usual sour grapes from some:

It's not exactly challenging to answer the usual idiots regarding their daft posts about Europe. One season being the first Scottish club to qualify from the CL to the last 16; one season in the UEFA Cup reaching the Last 16; and one season doing well in the CL against much better opposition than others (although being knocked out obviously) and then going on to reach last 16 of UEFA Cup again.

Not bad going in 3 years really and it is amazing how this competition is suddenly devalued from 5/6 years ago. icon_wink.gif

A few stats (not sure if they are the same as asking a few Aberdeen/Hearts fans their opinion but we'll post them for the attention of challenged ones above):

- Club Euro coefficient this season so far:

14 Glasgow Rangers 13.5 not out

36 Celtic 11.0 not out icon_wink.gif

- UEFA Team Ranking - Last 5 years

30 Glasgow Rangers 55.188

41 Celtic CL 51.188

No Excuses

icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

I'm looking forward to us playing Werder Bremen. Another team that left the CL and one I wouldn't have feared had we had them in our group. I was more worried about Panathinaikos than Werder Bremen.

I think a game against them will suit us more.

And I won't have to listen to Everton fans who claim they will pump us if we meet. I would love it if we pumped them. Love it.

If we can win in Lyon and hold the mighty Barcelona at Ibrox, there is no reason was can't do Werder Bremen. I still have a lot of issues with this side, and with Walter's negativity at times, but you can't argue with the facts.

And in fact if we had a striker who could put the ball in the net more often than not, we'd win a lot of games more comfortably than we do.

You can argue we were 'lucky', but I'd argue we would have won the first leg comfortably with a decent striker and the second would have been irrelevant. Besides, we're due some luck in Europe, way overdue really so lets hope we get some more and fluke our way to the Final where we win virtue of the referee heading home from a corner. Wins a win, and I would never ever accept losing as being a 'decent' result as some do.

We deserved to win - because we score and thats the bottom line. You don't get points for fancy football.

I'd prefer to concentrate on both Old Firm teams (and Aberdeen) giving a good showing this season in Europe to be honest (even if I did enjoy proving our contribution to be a worthy one).

Add in the last few years by Rangers and Celtic and this is the kind of European consistency our game requires to compete financially with the likes of <STRIKE>Barca</STRIKE> Bolton. Moreover, if we consider the close title race and relative equal quality of the two clubs, we should bumming our game up instead of devaluing it.

As such making daft allegations about referees cheating or suggesting progression in any of the European competitions isn't helpful to our national game is wrong. Keeping our coefficient healthy is vital if we want to keep Scotland as a country where we can be proud of our national sport.

• SI Staff
If we can win in Lyon and hold the mighty Barcelona at Ibrox, there is no reason was can't do Werder Bremen. I still have a lot of issues with this side, and with Walter's negativity at times, but you can't argue with the facts.

We won in Lyon because they had a shockingly bad goalkeeper and we took our chances. The Beasley goal should never have happened for a start. They showed at Ibrox that they are a good side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If we can win in Lyon and hold the mighty Barcelona at Ibrox, there is no reason was can't do Werder Bremen. I still have a lot of issues with this side, and with Walter's negativity at times, but you can't argue with the facts.

We won in Lyon because they had a shockingly bad goalkeeper and we took our chances. The Beasley goal should never have happened for a start. They showed at Ibrox that they are a good side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We took our chances.... thats what football is all about.

comparing our co-efficient to yours this season is pointless, you've played 3 more games or something like that.

for your 5 year one, we competed in the CL 4 times where we play less games and play far superior teams. fair enough you have a higher stat but given the facts theres no point in boasting about it

no matter what at the end of the day we QF from the CL and you didnt, in my eyes you would have to get to at least the semis of the uefa to compare getting through the group phases

sorry but i would have to totally disagree, we have been in the Cl twice as many times over this 5 year period, qf twice to your 1 and you haven't got any further than the last 16 of the Uefa cup if i remember correctly. might be getting my dates mixed up but im sure we got to the quarters during this time and that was a year after getting to the final

this year we have qf from the group stages and you have not. cant see how you could think think that tbh

sorry but i would have to totally disagree, we have been in the Cl twice as many times over this 5 year period, qf twice to your 1 and you haven't got any further than the last 16 of the Uefa cup if i remember correctly. might be getting my dates mixed up but im sure we got to the quarters during this time and that was a year after getting to the final

this year we have qf from the group stages and you have not. cant see how you could think think that tbh

Eh?

Since season 03/04 Rangers have been in the CL group stages 3 times - Celtic 4 times. You have qualified twice (to our one) and you may well have reached the quarters of the UEFA Cup in season 03/04 but the effect of this is negligible when one examines the coefficient which deals in overall results not just the difference in gaining the odd extra round.

This tells is that, in real terms, both teams have very similar records in terms of actual results and performance. Each one of us could suggest either of our teams have been better but neither would win the debate IMO. That's why I took issue with the daft comments above which suggest Rangers european pedigree is inferior to Celtic's. It isn't.

As I said several posts ago, I think we're far better concentrating on the positives from these stats rather than attempting some sort of pointless oneupmanship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">comparing our co-efficient to yours this season is pointless, you've played 3 more games or something like that.

The qualifying rounds don't contribute to the co-efficient </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they do, they don't count to the country co-efficient though.

watching SSN there and it says Scotland are now 6th in the Euro co-efficients - when the SPL started, we were 26th icon14.gif

not sure how correct that is as I'm sure we were 9th or something last time with Turkey close to us, but sounds like a nice stat

if anyone doesn't agree that we deserve some sort of luck in European competition, then they obviously haven't watched Celtic's home games in the CL this season - as much as the claims are they won 3 games (which they did) pretty much every winner was either a deflection or the result of gash Gking

Archived