Naylor - still plays regularly.

Donati - still a first pick.

Broon9 - played out of postion

Hartley - bench player

Nakamura - current POTY.unfit

Jarosik - sold

McDonald - SPL top scorer.

so yeah a celtic team missing-hinkel,jan venegoor of hesselink,aiden mcgeady

not to mention we didnt play our best central midfield pairing nor did we have a natruel right back that day

My point is the best team in Scotland..is the champions and we have the better footballers..unless and even by your low standards you wouldnt claim naismith and burke(your self proclaimed best attacking players)are better than nakamura and mcgeady.

Your Hutton remarks just show's you up..Lets dingy the fact McGeady has raped him in about 5 old firm games..we'll cling onto the 1 he had him in his pocket!

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theholyone:

My point is the best team in Scotland..is the champions and we have the better footballers..unless and even by your low standards you wouldnt claim naismith and burke(your self proclaimed best attacking players)are better than nakamura and mcgeady.

If Naismith isn't better than McGeady why did he win YPOTY last season?

The best team currently in Scotland is the team currently sitting top of the league, same as the best team currently in England is the team currently sitting top of the league, same as the best team in Spain...

The fact that Celtic are the current title holders means they were the best team in Scotland LAST season.

can I ask why people continuously reply to this? I'd rather he just called Ter "Terrence" and then we can get on with the Gers thread being about football instead of someone who just knows nothing and is on the wind-up constantly

stop rising to the bait, you know he probably has the IQ of about 5 so just leave it

Originally posted by TM:

can I ask why people continuously reply to this? I'd rather he just called Ter "Terrence" and then we can get on with the Gers thread being about football instead of someone who just knows nothing and is on the wind-up constantly

stop rising to the bait, you know he probably has the IQ of about 5 so just leave it

True.

Novo's goal last night > McGeady's turn against Aberdeen.

icon_biggrin.gif

Just saying what his job is

Sure if a catholic priest was reffing Celtic nothing would be made out of it either...

theholyone..arthur boruc is the holy goalie..he is the holy one.

any more questions?

Ah and we get to the crux of the issue now. Mr McCurry is a Baptist minister so of course he's biased to Rangers. Please don't judge us by the dubious standards of yourself - if a priest were to be a referee then he'd get as much respect as any other.

As for Boruc, he's a great religious example for everyone right enough.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ok to stir up more ****, who would you have as a first 11 old firm select.

4-4-2 formation

GK: Boruc (obviously)

DL: Papac (Both teams struggle here, if wilson or Stevie Smith were to get a run of games here they would probably take over)

DC(L): McManus (With a good centre back beside him he would improve)

DC®: Cueller (Fairly obvious)

DR: Hinkel (not much argument here after the white cafu is gone)

ML: McGeady (best player in Scottish football this year)

MC: Ferguson (Fairly deep position, not easy to leave some players out)

MC: Brown (As above)

MR: Nakamura (Greatly improved the team since his return)

FC: MacDonald (Top scorer, easy pick)

FC: Big Jan (Harder pick, spends alot of time on the sidelines but in recent weeks he has linked up well with MacDonald and had 10 goals in his limited league starts)

So 8 Celtic players and 3 rangers. If you were playing walters favourite 4-5-1 formation another rangers player would come in at the expense of a forward so would be 7 and 4.

Lets hear yours...

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

you are saying the best team at this time , we have both went on a similiar runs against the same group of teams so i cant see how you can say you are the btter team at this time , thats what im arguing. over the season yes you can say you have been the best team though

We've not gone on similar runs at all.

We've won 43 out of the last 45 points available to us. In the same period, you've won 36. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've won your past 10 and we've won our past 9 iirc, thats pretty simliar is it not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but take the run to the last 15 games and not the last 10 and we're ridiculously superior. It's not even debatable as to who the better side have been since October - that side sits 4 points clear.

And your December stumble is matched by our Sept/Oct stumble, where we took 7 points from 6 SPL games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes but he said current form, what has your form in october got to do with current form.

read the posts first before you start rabbling

i would have balde in before anybody except cuellar. couldn't include brown imo as hes done nothing since arriving at celtic.

i would say we have probably have the best team apart from the centre of midfield and centre of defense.i dont think there can be much arguement about that.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

I'd only have Boruc in front of McGregor because I don't think McGregor is that great, not because I think Boruc is great.

MacGregor hasn't made half a dozen high profile mistakes in the last 12 months....... and I think they've both kept 12 clean sheets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

The best team currently in Scotland is the team currently sitting top of the league, same as the best team currently in England is the team currently sitting top of the league, same as the best team in Spain...

The fact that Celtic are the current title holders means they were the best team in Scotland LAST season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye ok Steven Naismith is better than Aiden McGeady..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

The fact that Celtic are the current title holders means they were the best team in Scotland LAST season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if your going on that basis then are you saying nakamura is the best player in the SPL then?

• SI Staff
Ok to stir up more ****, who would you have as a first 11 old firm select.

GK: McGregor

DR: Whittaker

DL: Smith

DC: Cuellar

DC: Weir

MC: Thomson

MC: Ferguson

MC: Davis

AMR: Novo

AML: Naismith

SC: Boyd

icon_cool.gif

McGregor;

Whittaker, Cuellar, Weir, Papac

Hemdani

Naismith, Ferguson, Thomson, Adam icon_biggrin.gif

Cousin

Actually interesting to note that both teams have scored the same number and lost the same number of goals this season in the league. Interesting because I was sure our forward line was *****.

Why would Nakamura get a game at right midfield for an Old Firm select given he's either scored less, created less and generally contributed less than the likes of McCulloch, Naismith, Novo and Burke (or Robson) have this season...? Same with Ferguson who has been very inconsistent for us. Reputation alone shouldn't mean automatic picks.

As Boruc being 'obviously' better than McGregor, well, granted he's certainly got more experience of playing at the top level but McGregor has been just as reliable and consistent (if not more so) than the Pole.

Hinkel ahead of Whittaker? Well his reputation may well suggest he's a better player but so far he's done no more than Whittaker or even Broadfoot performance wise since he arrived.

McGeady and McDonald have both had decent seasons so they'd definitely be in my team. Other than that, I'd be opting for the following based on form, goals, assists and contribution. Not to mention a bit of good old bias of course... icon_wink.gif

_____________________McGregor_________________________

Whittaker____Cuellar____________Weir_____________Papac

Novo________Robson_____________Thomson________McGeady

___________McDonald_____________Cousin________________

Obviously, at the end of the season, guys like Hinkel, Nakamura, Naylor, Ferguson, Brown, Burke, Davis, Hesselink, JCD et al may force their way in but as it stands none have done enough yet to make a decent claim IMO.

That team also shows that several SPL players could be considered for places in the side. Guys like Reynolds, Black, Fletcher, McCormack, Arfield or Clarkson could all make justified claims for a place in such a select.

icon_smile.gif

depends on how you pick the teams really, if your going on performances this year then you could easily omit nakamura but if your picking a team which you would actually go out and play a game then nakamura must be in same goes with ferguson imo, especially ahead of novo and robson

i've said in this forum before that i've been impressed with mcgregor but i would have boruc in the team way before him.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

depends on how you pick the teams really, if your going on performances this year then you could easily omit nakamura but if your picking a team which you would actually go out and play a game then nakamura must be in same goes with ferguson imo, especially ahead of novo and robson

i've said in this forum before that i've been impressed with mcgregor but i would have boruc in the team way before him.

I would agree with you there, I think Boruc is a better keeper than McGregor.

It would be interesting to see the keeping stats because I think that Boruc has been the busier keeper this season. Quite a few of Rangers clean sheets are down to the defence where as Celtic seem to rely on Boruc a lot more.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Why would Nakamura get a game at right midfield for an Old Firm select given he's either scored less, created less and generally contributed less than the likes of McCulloch, Naismith, Novo and Burke (or Robson) have this season...? Same with Ferguson who has been very inconsistent for us. Reputation alone shouldn't mean automatic picks.

As Boruc being 'obviously' better than McGregor, well, granted he's certainly got more experience of playing at the top level but McGregor has been just as reliable and consistent (if not more so) than the Pole.

Hinkel ahead of Whittaker? Well his reputation may well suggest he's a better player but so far he's done no more than Whittaker or even Broadfoot performance wise since he arrived.

McGeady and McDonald have both had decent seasons so they'd definitely be in my team. Other than that, I'd be opting for the following based on form, goals, assists and contribution. Not to mention a bit of good old bias of course... icon_wink.gif

_____________________McGregor_________________________

Whittaker____Cuellar____________Weir_____________Papac

Novo________Robson_____________Thomson________McGeady

___________McDonald_____________Cousin________________

Obviously, at the end of the season, guys like Hinkel, Nakamura, Naylor, Ferguson, Brown, Burke, Davis, Hesselink, JCD et al may force their way in but as it stands none have done enough yet to make a decent claim IMO.

That team also shows that several SPL players could be considered for places in the side. Guys like Reynolds, Black, Fletcher, McCormack, Arfield or Clarkson could all make justified claims for a place in such a select.

icon_smile.gif

That seems like a pretty fair side Frankie. icon_wink.gif

Although i'd have Barry in there isntead of Thommo. Although Fergie's been inconsistent a few times he's still scored 8 goals and he's got 11 assists in the league. One less than McGeadinho I believe.

McGregor's a good keeper but Boruc is underrated by youse lot for understandable reasons, he's a legend, without him and skippy we'd be out of the race already. The very rare sort of keeper who is worth as much to a team as a top quality striker. Look at our results when he was out injured. Robson is utterly mediocre, get him out of that team right away. Naka is 10 times the player he is even if he hasn't hit the heights of last season. Naismith and Hemdani are better players that Robson, honestly.

McManus is actually a very good centre half, he just has complete clowns either side of him.

The rest of it I agree with

Our problem is that we're mentally soft. both fans and players are constantly nervy and we seem to lack some of the stomach needed. I'll put a more indepth post in the tim thread if youse want to find out how to beat us icon_biggrin.gif

Amazingly, except for Black, all those players are currently at my Rangers side in FM icon_biggrin.gif

GK-Boruc..value over 10m polish number 1.

DR-Hinkel..german international the german hutton!

DL-Naylor

DC-Cuellar-too ugly to play for celtic but good player

DC-McManus-better than Weir

MR-Nakamura..touch vision passing..skill great player

MC-Brown having a hard time of late but has all the talent in the world

Mc-Hemdani..i like him

ML-Aideninho-best player in scotland

CF-Jan Venegoor-record speaks for itself and good all around player

CF-McDonald stop goalscorer

Come back GQ, all is forgiven!

I think the argument about who should be in a league select actually detracts from the team ethos that Rangers have this year.

One could say Walter operates a rotation system, apart from the defence and Ferguson, but the team while not necessarily having outstanding individuals is performing above the sum of the individual parts.

Hutton, Cuellar and possibly only Ferguson and one or two of the forwards would strengthen Celtic, on paper, but four points clear speaks for itself so far. icon14.gif

Hutton doesn't play for us any more.

Although you could be forgiven by watching Broadfoot's decent displays of late right enough... icon_wink.gif

Our strength is definitely playing as a unit and your rotation point is a valid one. I also think you're being a bit unkind in terms of suggesting any of our players are worse than Celtic's individuals. Out with McGeady and Boruc, I don't think any of your squad are better man v man.

Originally posted by deerokus:

Got to be honest, how you can have Naylor and Brown in a select XI confuses me.

Brown's been crap for a good while. Donati's playing much much better than him. And well, Danny Grainger is probably better than Naylor.

Brown does a cracking job for celtic..he gets the ball dictates the tempo and wins the ball an awful lot

he has had a bad week..before that week people were saying he is coming back to form..

Naylor is better than papac..and for a guy who has poor has been involved in alot for celtic recently(big jans goal v barca)killens chance at love street and much more

Novo over Nakamura has to be the most outrageous football statement ive seen on this thread right enough

It's an argument that'll never end ffs.

Celtic have good players.

Rangers have good players.

Some Celtic fans are utter *****

Some Rangers fans are utter *****

We are both as paranoid as each other.

We all like to try and convince ourselves one side is better than the other but the truth is we're both as bad (good?) as each other.

All I'd say is that this season Rangers have shown a consistency they didn't have over the last few seasons, while we went through a dodgy patch and have, in fact, not looked totally comfortable for most of the season. I can't make up my mind who has a better set of players tbh.

And in terms of support, the likes of Lawwell and co. have played an absolute blinder in recent years.

Best fans in the world, million fans in Seville, the president of Barca singing our praises icon_biggrin.gif

Nothing but utterly awesome PR, so much so that people actually start believing it icon_cool.gif

I don't know for sure, but on some level it must hurt Rangers fans that we've managed to forge that reputation for ourselves when the majority of their fans are as passionate as ours, seemingly without the same recognition.

BWCH:

Not far off being 100% spot on. icon14.gif

One thing is for sure I doubt your post will have much effect over the rest of the season - especially towards the end of March/beginning of April where we'll find the answers to the quality questions. It's fascinating and utterly exciting and as usual, I think too many people in our game want to concentrate on the negative side-shows instead of the positive centre-piece.

icon_smile.gif

the pish about celtic fans being best in the world is exactly what i said earlier pish

actually fair play to rangers in this one..they dont have there board running about like blue arsed flys trying to please the media and other teams about how great the fans are

I hear the Seville Calculator recently got upgraded to handle larger numbers icon_smile.gif Latest calculations suggest the entire population of Japan was in attendance. As well as Jay Z.

In all seriousness Lawwell has done a superb job, I'm surprised he hasn't been head hunted by an ambtious EPL club. He seems relatively hands on but it works.

I'm going to resist a cheap dig at Martin Bain icon_biggrin.gif

the pish about celtic fans being best in the world is exactly what i said earlier pish

actually fair play to rangers in this one..they dont have there board running about like blue arsed flys trying to please the media and other teams about how great the fans are

Too busy telling everyone how good Chairman Dave is to recognise anything good going on amongst the fans.

icon_wink.gif

Archived