The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boruc is certainly higher profile and would go for more money if both teams sold their keepers, but I honestly don't think much of a gap in ability, if any, exists between the keepers.

there is actually none, despite what some say

Boruc is dodgy on crosses, McGregor is dodgy on low crosses, but not as bad on high ones. Both are superb at shotstopping, Boruc just has the higher profile because he's Poland's No1 and McGregor probably has hardly any chance of becoming Scotland's No1 (well at the moment anyway) Also the papers seem to cream it anytime he makes a save against pish like Caley and spout the £12m value stuff everytime, just hope that when they sell him, it's not for the money they want - but they actually have a competent guy in the job, unlike us with the suntan man who will sell anyone for some silver

I saw Tommy Burns saying Boruc was in the top 6 keepers in the world and then said "if somebody made a list, they'd have him there"

shame I don't agree with him icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by TM:

I saw Tommy Burns saying Boruc was in the top 6 keepers in the world and then said "if somebody made a list, they'd have him there"

shame I don't agree with him icon_frown.gif

Strachan was spouting that Borat is one of the worlds top keepers.

Tell a lie often enough......

Celtic live by that.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Hemdani will be gone come the summer and he's also not going to replace Ferguson.

So your first attempt is better.

On form this season, Ferguson should be dropped.

He was god awful today. I think he touched the ball 5 times in the entire second half.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Hemdani will be gone come the summer and he's also not going to replace Ferguson.

So your first attempt is better.

On form this season, Ferguson should be dropped.

He was god awful today. I think he touched the ball 5 times in the entire second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been thinking that for the last few games tbh, but it will never happen.

I cant believe that it is even being questioned. Boruc is a top world class keeper.

He has shown it time and time again behind a shoddy at best defence.

Their is a reason why the big clubs in Italy are looking at him and not McGregor and its not some timmy bias as you seem to think.

Originally posted by Jorg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

depends on how you pick the teams really, if your going on performances this year then you could easily omit nakamura but if your picking a team which you would actually go out and play a game then nakamura must be in same goes with ferguson imo, especially ahead of novo and robson

i've said in this forum before that i've been impressed with mcgregor but i would have boruc in the team way before him.

I would agree with you there, I think Boruc is a better keeper than McGregor.

It would be interesting to see the keeping stats because I think that Boruc has been the busier keeper this season. Quite a few of Rangers clean sheets are down to the defence where as Celtic seem to rely on Boruc a lot more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion on the matter. As a Rangers fan I believe to be quite a bit better than McGregor.

McGregor is improving but Boruc is better. Would be good to see some stats.

its not even worth arguing about, theres a reason why borucs rated so highly, did you see him in the WC especially against germany and in all our CL games in the past 2 years?

i have no doubt that we wouldnt have made the last 16 in the Cl in the past 2 years if it wasn't for boruc. whereas mcgregor arguably cost you a place against lyon.

although i heard someone say they would have novo before nakamura so its not a surprise

it always the same with OF fans, im sure theres a few celtic fans about that will say sno is better than feruson icon_biggrin.gif

McGregors decent, although everytime i see him he makes saves that decent goalkeepers should be making and no more.

Boruc does things that are out of the ordinary and is able to affect games single handedly on the biggest stage consistently.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

its not even worth arguing about, theres a reason why borucs rated so highly, did you see him in the WC especially against germany and in all our CL games in the past 2 years?

i have no doubt that we wouldnt have made the last 16 in the Cl in the past 2 years if it wasn't for boruc. whereas mcgregor arguably cost you a place against lyon.

although i heard someone say they would have novo before nakamura so its not a surprise

it always the same with OF fans, im sure theres a few celtic fans about that will say sno is better than feruson icon_biggrin.gif

With clangers against ourselves, Hibees and ICT this season he may have cost you guys the league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

Boruc is miles better than McGregor ffs.

He's really not.

They're both excellent keepers prone to dropping the odd clanger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate - Can't have that at all. McGregor is nowhere near the quality of Klos, Goram or Woods, while Boruc has been Celtic's best keeper since Paddy Bonner. Of course he is an arrogant tit and i don't have anytime for him but Boruc is a mile better than McGregor and the sooner he leaves Celtic the happier I'll be.

Glad of the 3 points today and with a victory over Celtic at home I cannot see them cataching us. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Henchoz_6:

McGregor is nowhere near the quality of Klos, Goram or Woods, while Boruc has been Celtic's best keeper since Paddy Bonner.

I think that proves how lucky we've been with keepers, and just how poor Celtic have been.

Although tbh, I'd rate Jonathan Gould and Rab Douglas better than Borat icon14.gif

Although tbh, I'd rate Jonathan Gould and Rab Douglas better than Borat

now we are entering cuckoo land icon_biggrin.gif both are decent as I said, both can lapse in concentration/dodgy at crosses. As has been mentioned, Boruc is getting more plaudits due to his heroics on the biggest stage and our defence has helped McGregor gain his clean sheet record more than Boruc's defence has done for him

Another important win today...

Started really brightly with Ferguson getting forward really well. Then we seemed to take the foot of the gas while Aberdeen countered very effectively. Indeed they could easily have had 3 or 4 goals if it wasn't for McGregor (whom I'll return to later - eventually taking the lead with a decent corner headed home by Lovell (who'd be a damn fine player if he wasn't injured all the time).

Fortunately, we reacted well and we worked very hard to get back into game - Dailly equalising with a fine volley from Adam's corner. Second half was a procession to the Dons goal and once we got the second goal the result was never really in doubt. Glad Boyd scored at the second time of asking though as we missed a fair few chances before that.

In the end a deserved victory and the gap remains! icon14.gif

Going back to the McGregor/Boruc debate, I think it's fair to say Boruc has a better reputation than McGregor given his extra experience at Celtic and for Poland. As such he probably shades it.

However, he's certainly not miles better as McGregor has proven himself to be a very reliable goalkeeper who commands his box pretty well and is a good shot-stopper. He's had an excellent season for us and along with Cuellar and Weir his contribution has been most consistent as we challenge on all fronts.

Boruc may well interest a few teams with his fine work for Celtic in recent seasons and he may well have moved on by now if he didn't make such an arse of himself with his continual moronic attention-seeking by gesticulating at fans. You'd think he'd learn from his police caution and ignore the idiots who abuse him - others get the same abuse and seem to cope. I think to win a 'big' move he's going to have to remove that stuff from his game.

Kenny Miller is poised for a move that will make him a one-off in Scottish football history. The Derby County striker will become the first player to make the switch from Rangers to Celtic and then back to Rangers when he returns to Ibrox this summer.

Miller, 28, has a £1.5 million clause in his Pride Park contract allowing him to leave if, or rather when, Derby are relegated from the Premier League and Rangers manager Walter Smith is keen to sign him.

The move will complete a unique circle for Miller, who had a spell at Rangers after moving from Hibernian as a 20-year-old and later was transferred from Wolves to Celtic.

Daily Mail

icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ladle:

Although tbh, I'd rate Jonathan Gould and Rab Douglas better than Borat icon14.gif

now thats just insane icon_biggrin.gif

I think is fair to say that rangers fans dislike to him clouds their judgement of him as a player. i didnt hear many rumours of bids from top clubs for them

to me thats about the equivalent of saying i rate nacho novo higher than mccoist

Originally posted by Frankie:

Boruc may well interest a few teams with his fine work for Celtic in recent seasons and he may well have moved on by now if he didn't make such an arse of himself with his continual moronic attention-seeking by gesticulating at fans. You'd think he'd learn from his police caution and ignore the idiots who abuse him - others get the same abuse and seem to cope. I think to win a 'big' move he's going to have to remove that stuff from his game.

We have only had him for a few years, he has proved himself at every opertunity. Which is why we will get £10mill+ bids for him in the summer.

He is at the top of his game and value, so all his 'gesticulating' obviously hasnt hurt him. He is one of the best keepers in the world as proven again and again.

Him being voted the 3rd best keeper in the world according to Italian fans was just a wind up to you people?

(0 scottish votes, all actual italian paper magazine votes, as we all know how we can influance random votes ie bellamy newcastle poty 2 years ago)

Take aside your biggoted views and ask if top european clubs are willing to pay 10mill+ plus for him then he might be a world class keeper???

Originally posted by Anton:

Him being voted the 3rd best keeper in the world according to Italian fans was just a wind up to you people?

(0 scottish votes, all actual italian paper magazine votes, as we all know how we can influance random votes ie bellamy newcastle poty 2 years ago)

Take aside your biggoted views and ask if top european clubs are willing to pay 10mill+ plus for him then he might be a world class keeper???

Obviously Italians don't watch much Scottish football. Boruc plays well in the big games but the concentration seems to in the small games. Hes a small game bottler. icon_razz.gif

Boruc is a great keeper, he is ahead of McGregor and has shown it in the big games.

McGregor has come on leaps and bounds though, i never thought he would be capable of being a proper number 1 for us, we have had such strong goalkeepers for so long, but he has stepped up and apart from the odd lapse (which they all have) has been very solid, helped out by the fact the defence is far more organised and protect him more now.

Both are very good keepers though nobody can doubt that.

• SI Staff

The game yesterday was terrible in the first half. Aberdeen could have been 3 or 4 up by half time and that is just shocking. They deserved their lead though. After a good start we just fell out the game. Again, I thought Charlie Adam was terrible.

We came back into it in the second half and I thought Steven Davis was immense. His movement is absolutely first class. We so need to sign him. Still don't understand the Whittaker at left back and Broadfoot at right back situation. Big Kirk gives his all but he's just not good enough. He was exposed yesterday.

Disappointed to see Celtic grind out a win as well. I thought Hibs were the better team the first half and should have had a couple of goals.

I believe our next four games are all cup games (and will be five if we beat Hibs) and Celtic have two league games in that period that if they win will put them top of the league. Interesting title battle indeed.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Obviously Italians don't watch much Scottish football. Boruc plays well in the big games but the concentration seems to in the small games. Hes a small game bottler. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough but i think the fact that he just about always performs well in the big games is a good sign for him if he does go to a better league.

hes inactive for big parts of the game sometimes in the SPl, hes probably to busy trying to think of things to wind up opposition fans than concentrating on the game icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
Honestly dont see the point in the anybody debating who is better McGregor or Boruc..if McGregor was any good,Rangers would still be in the champions league

If we had a group with Milan, Shakhtar and Benfica then we would still be in the Champions League icon_biggrin.gif

Still, while it's disappointing to go out, I'd rather be in the position we are now than you are with your impending humping from Barcelona and being out on your arse.

tottally disagree with that, being in the CL last 16 no matter what happens in better than the uefa cup. whats the point of being in the competition if you are happier out it.

i doubt you would have got out of that group tbh, you struggle to score gaols at home in europe so it would be difficult for you to QF

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Honestly dont see the point in the anybody debating who is better McGregor or Boruc..if McGregor was any good,Rangers would still be in the champions league

If we had a group with Milan, Shakhtar and Benfica then we would still be in the Champions League icon_biggrin.gif

Still, while it's disappointing to go out, I'd rather be in the position we are now than you are with your impending humping from Barcelona and being out on your arse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last 16..more money..glamour tie..target achieved

and you would have been lucky to get 5 points in our group!

• SI Staff
tottally disagree with that, being in the CL last 16 no matter what happens in better than the uefa cup. whats the point of being in the competition if you are happier out it.

I said I would rather have been in the CL but am quite happy with the position we're in now rather than being 3-2 down to one of the best teams in Europe.

i doubt you would have got out of that group tbh, you struggle to score gaols at home in europe so it would be difficult for you to QF

We got out of a group with better sides in it. Apart from Milan there was nothing in your group.

Rubbish! We got 7 points in a much much tougher group ffs where almost everyone had written us off!

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tottally disagree with that, being in the CL last 16 no matter what happens in better than the uefa cup. whats the point of being in the competition if you are happier out it.

I said I would rather have been in the CL but am quite happy with the position we're in now rather than being 3-2 down to one of the best teams in Europe.

We got out of a group with better sides in it. Apart from Milan there was nothing in your group.

Rubbish! We got 7 points in a much much tougher group ffs where almost everyone had written us off! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lyon wern't playing well when you meet them to be fair,and to dismiss benfica and shakhtar as not good sides is a bit ignorant I think..you struggled with Panathinkos.

None of us can be proved right or wrong here to be fair..But I dont think personally you would have got through.and I think you would rather be in the last 16 of the Champions league than Uefa cup.

Originally posted by theholyone:

You were extremely lucky to get more than 3 points from your group. Spawned your way through a penalty shootout to qualify. Jammy last minute goal against AC gifted by fannybaws. Massively deflected goal against Benfica and another spawny last minute goal against Shakhtar. Not to mention another winless away run.......

Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tottally disagree with that, being in the CL last 16 no matter what happens in better than the uefa cup. whats the point of being in the competition if you are happier out it.

Rubbish! We got 7 points in a much much tougher group ffs where almost everyone had written us off! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lyon wern't playing well when you meet them to be fair,and to dismiss benfica and shakhtar as not good sides is a bit ignorant I think..you struggled with Panathinkos.

None of us can be proved right or wrong here to be fair..But I dont think personally you would have got through.and I think you would rather be in the last 16 of the Champions league than Uefa cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather win the UEFA Cup than get humped out the last 16 of the Champions League.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

None of us can be proved right or wrong here to be fair..But I dont think personally you would have got through.and I think you would rather be in the last 16 of the Champions league than Uefa cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather win the UEFA Cup than get humped out the last 16 of the Champions League. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're is as much chance of you winning the uefa cup as there is of ladle admitting he is irish

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

We have only had him for a few years, he has proved himself at every opertunity. Which is why we will get £10mill+ bids for him in the summer.

He is at the top of his game and value, so all his 'gesticulating' obviously hasnt hurt him. He is one of the best keepers in the world as proven again and again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not proved himself at every opportunity - he's made several mistakes in quite a few bigger games occasionally leading to goals. Funnily enough, these mistakes have come against teams he appears fond of gesticulating to instead of concentrating on what he can do - which is being a damn fine goalkeeper - which he does prove more often than I'm quite happy to admit.

Just because I'm suggesting McGregor has shown himself in the last 18months to be equally as reliable and capable doesn't mean I'm a bigot or have something against Boruc. Both lads are excellent keepers and, like I say, Boruc has the better reputation given his increased experience and higher profile. As such, he's certainly the better goalkeeper at this stage.

BTW, all this speculation about multi-million pound bids for the lad - is there anything concrete? Because I've never seen anything other than the usual tabloid rumours. You'd think if there was such concrete interest and he was one of the top 5 world goalkeepers, such interest at what would be a reasonable price of circa £10million (given the cost of Buffon/Gordon et al), would have resulted in an offer by now.

I'm more worried about the fact that some think we'd have trouble getting out of their group icon_biggrin.gif

Lyon are still pretty much in 2nd gear tbh, Perrin ruining them as they only lead Bordeaux by 3pts (compared to last year when they had a blip and still won the league by a fair margin) in Europe, we played well in France and deserved our win, at Ibrox if JCD's shot had gone in, we'd have probably drawn and got Man Utd in the next knockout round. Not really sure about Stuttgart, never really rated them in the game at Ibrox and in Germany we just didn't have the right attitude for a team just needing to win to qualify

although if Dida didn't drop the ball to Scott McDonald, if McGeady and Donati's shots didn't have deflections, then Celtic wouldn't even be in Europe probably - we'd have definitely got through that group that Celtic got, but no point bothering about it now as those CL groups are history

Archived