The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis most definitely my man of the match, brilliant in everything he did tonight icon14.gif buy him Walter icon_mad.gif

apart from Rosenborg's hit, I cannot think of anything McGregor had to deal with - got some luck with Wiese, but I think we deserved that tbh icon14.gif

to bring in a pessimistic tone if I may - don't want to, but this reminds me of the 2-0 win at home to Dortmund in 1999/2000 (that long ago?) and then going out on penalties after Jens Lehmann assisted a last minute goal for Dortmund as he came up from the back icon_mad.gif

could have been 3, but that Naldo tackle was fantastic - like I said, one of the best tackles I've seen in years of watching football

to bring in a pessimistic tone if I may - don't want to, but this reminds me of the 2-0 win at home to Dortmund in 1999/2000 (that long ago?) and then going out on penalties after Jens Lehmann assisted a last minute goal for Dortmund as he came up from the back Mad

Difference being I was actually at that first leg icon_wink.gif

TBH I think the current team, whilst certainly not as good technically, have a stubborn resistance and brilliant team spirit and if Werder want to win they are going to have to play their best game of the season. They certainly are capable of it, but we are more than capable as well.

Guest sav112

Great match to watch! How that third never went in aaaaaaaaaaaaaa but still 2-0 fantastic result and bet Ibrox was jumping….. icon_biggrin.gif

if you want to look at it another way, if we score in Germany - it's pretty much game over

but I cannot see us going for that sort of approach when it's more likely Bremen will be attacking from the start, counter-attack will be the ploy

Well done, dodgy keeping at its finest!

Good chance to go through now, can see you getting a goal over there at some point. Especially if they stick with that keeper.

Cant support you when i'm watching the game but I really wouldnt mind if you went through to the next round.

Also need to add that Kirk Broadfoot and Charles Adam were superb tonight. For the criticism they get, and quite rightly at times, they fully deserves the praise tonight.

pretty much no failures tonight, but both were superb - couldn't believe the crosses/passing I was seeing from Adam at times and that shot in the first few minutes showed great technique

Guest sav112
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Also need to add that Kirk Broadfoot and Charles Adam were superb tonight. For the criticism they get, and quite rightly at times, they fully deserves the praise tonight.

Second that icon14.gif

Great result! Some of my comments were a bit negative before the kick-off but I was very impressed tonight.

The work rate was immense, everyone got stuck in and worked for each other, there were even a couple of times when our players where running into each other! The passing was good as well, nice triangles to get out of difficult areas.

Davis was my MOM, closely followed by Broadfoot, Papac and Adam. Can't really believe that was Adam, it was like night and day compared to the majority of performances he has put in this season.

Yes, their keeper had a shocker but overall we deserved it. Its a shame McCulloch couldn't make it three at the end, he should really have got his body between the defender and the ball and make sure of the goal.

It won't be easy over there but gives us a great chance. icon_smile.gif

Fantastic performance tonight. I'm pinching myself. We totally controlled the game. It just shows what can happen to the crowd and the players when we get a goal. Seems to settle the nerves. Bremen rarely looked like troubling us. Well done lads. \o/

McGregor, what a keeper he's beginning to look. Fantastic stop in the first half and showed Weisse how you handle those dodgy shots in the second. His handling was superb tonight. It's been a while since I was fully confident a rangers keeper had every high ball under controls. Such safe hands.

Broadfoot, Got forward to support Cousin at every attempt. I think he's been eating the same stuff Hutton was on. Made a few key tackles also. One of his best games in blue.

Cuellar, made some very timely challenges and played his way out of trouble a few times. It's wonderful to see such a naturally gifted footballer at Ibrox.

Weir, despite people saying he was past it etc, put in another solid performance and had his opposition in his back pocket.

Papac, solid again, got forward a couple of times when needed but done most of his work at the back. Steady performance.

Hemdani, The glue that holds the team together, was sloppy once of twice but more than made up for it the way he helped us keep our shape defending when Davis, Adam and Fergie went marching on. Good performance.

Dailly, really enjoyed watching Dailly tonight, whenever there was a tackle to be made he was there. He even tackled Davis trying to stop Diego haha. Diego was in his pocket tonight. Great performance. Did well to cover for the full backs also.

Ferguson, one of Barry's best performances in a long time. He was involved in everything. He was even rallying the lads on at every oppertuntiy. It was great to see him push on also. Reminded me of 02/03 Fergie. He and Davis compliment each other so well. Fantastic performance.

Davis, well, what con you say about this lad. He's pretty much been MoM in every game he's played. A breath of fresh air to the team. Great to see him get on the score sheet. Well deserved after covering every single blade of grass tonight. Get him signed Wattie!

Adam, He seems to get the nod for the big games. Hasn't been great this season but was immense tonight. decided to play the simple passes instead of the hollywood ones. He'll be giving out a few humble pies tonight. icon_biggrin.gif

Cousin, what a way to silence the critics. As long as he keeps producing the goods when it counts I don't care. He'll be glad that his relegation bound move fell through. Gave the two Bremen defenders a torrid time tonight. Deserved MotM.

A seriously good European performance. Nullified a very good side, stroked the ball about well, chased every lost cause and grabbed the good fortune when it was dealt out. Crowd were up for it too. A third would have helped but we really don't have anything to fear next Thursday.

Entire team was fantastic tonight, special mention to Charlie Adam, who was tremendous and performed like we know he's capable of.

Cousin MOTM though. Led the line magnificently.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

28 Glasgow Rangers Sco UC 9 12 14.7225

35 Celtic Sco CL 8 10 12.7225

</pre>

Last 16 of UEFA > last 16 of CL. icon_wink.gif

Broadfoot's a funny one. He has this sort of lumbering gait that's as graceful as a rhino and his final ball is non-existent at times. Clearly a centre-half playing full-back, but I still think I like him alot, he's so eager, just tears up and down that right hand side. There was plenty of times tonight he was pretty much a right-winger, nailed to the touchline, but equally he was never found wanting when a foot was needed put in at the back. Sort of typifies our whole team at the moment - technically limited but committed, strong and confident.

Alot of the press and Celtic support had the transfer window as this great turning point in the season where we lost Hutton and Cousin and they brought in Hinkel (!), Samaras (!!) and Robson (!!!), but I don't think it's turned out like that really. Broadfoot's form and Smith's return to fitness should compensate losing Hutton, Cousin staying was obviously a boost and I'll hold my hand up and say I was wrong about Dailly, who has the engine of a guy 10 years younger, and Davis, who came in rather unheralded, but to my mind would be the obvious candidate for next Rangers captain were he to stay on. It's still going to be close though.

Originally posted by McD:

and Davis, who came in rather unheralded, but to my mind would be the obvious candidate for next Rangers captain were he to stay on. It's still going to be close though.

Kevin Thomson would be my choice. That boy is going to be a star for us for years to come.

Thomson's great, yeah, intelligent player, although I'm not sure how much of driving force he is and could be, someone who galvanises players and spurs the side on. Maybe he'll grow into that, especially when he exits Ferguson's shadow.

In 2 legged ties this season we've yet to concede at home under Smith.

In our last 10 home legs in 2 legged ties, we've only conceded in 2, stretching back to our 1-0 win over Maritimo in 2004.

In the corresponding 9 away legs, we've scored in 5 of them.

I'm quite confident of making the last 8. If we perform like we did tonight, then we have nothing to fear from anyone.

Rest of the results:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Anderlecht 0 - 5 Bayern Munich

Fiorentina 2 - 0 Everton

Marseille 3 - 1 Zenit St. Petersburg

Bolton W. 1 - 1 Sporting Lisbon

Rangers 2 - 0 Werder Bremen

B.Leverkusen 1 - 0 Hamburger SV

Tottenham H. 0 - 1 PSV Eindhoven

Benfica 1 - 2 Getafe

</pre>

Originally posted by McD:

Thomson's great, yeah, intelligent player, although I'm not sure how much of driving force he is and could be, someone who galvanises players and spurs the side on. Maybe he'll grow into that, especially when he exits Ferguson's shadow.

Watching how Thomson has handled Whittaker when he's been low on confidence tells me everything I need to know about his captaincy material - he's got it in spades.

Archived