The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

I think Thomson will definitely grow into a leader for us.

I really hope we sign Davis up, do we have any option to buy him?

I remember seeing somewhere that we had an option to buy him for 3 million in the summer.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Beasley

That should be like a new player icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the wee man, will turn out to be a great buy by Smith. We missed him big time when he first got injred and you could see it.

His ball retention at times if fabulous, although he's only about 25 you can see the experience he has from his time in Holland and the US national side.

Provisional Champions League Pots Season 2008/09 (Assuming league positions don't change and all seeded teams beat non-seeded teams)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Teams in bold have already qualified

Teams in italics qualify automatically

* denotes teams qualifying from round 3

** denotes teams qualifying from round 2

Pot 1

Chelsea* 115.718

Barcelona 111.384

Liverpool* 109.718

Arsenal 108.718

Lyon 99.380

Man Utd 96.718

Inter Milan 96.645

Real Madrid 93.384

Pot 2

Villareal* 90.384

PSV Eindhoven 89.500

Bayern Munich 86.512

Roma 81.645

FC Porto 80.987

Benfica 76.987

Werder Bremen 71.512

Juventus* 66.645

Pot 3

Rangers 57.353

Panathinaikos* 52.380

Bordeaux 52.380

FC Basel** 51.993

Olympiacos** 51.525

Ajax* 51.500

Celtic** 51.353

Shakhtar Donetsk* 49.932

Pot 4

Hamburg SV* 49.512

Zenit St. Petersburg 47.447

Club Brugge** 41.645

Rapid Bucharest* 41.398

Besiktas* 40.303

Spartak Moscow* 39.447

Sparta Prague** 36.496

FC Cluj 13.398

</pre>

If AC Milan and Sevilla keep up their poor domestic form, and Liverpool finish lower than 4th and don't win the trophy, then we jump into pot 2. icon_biggrin.gif

If Milan, Sevilla and Liverpool get their act together, then Celtic drop into pot 4. icon14.gif However, Real Madrid and Inter Milan would drop into pot 2. icon13.gif

Tremendous win last night. icon_cool.gif

As we discussed yesterday this team may not be the most adventurous in the world but it's spirit, teamwork and organisation means we'll give most teams a decent game home or away.

Sure, we got the breaks by a couple of goalkeeping howlers but both times our lead up play was excellent. Cousin's speculative shot was a beauty and our pacey start to the second half resulted in the clincher. Just wish McCulloch had finished off his good work instead of looking around late on.

The whole team played very well but I think we need special praise for Kirk Broadfoot. Slagged off by all and sundry when he signed last year and on a hiding nothing as a centre-half shuttled out to right back after Alan Hutton is moved on. Since he's came in his attitude has been terrific - confident, quick, strong and decent on the ball. Has also set up a couple of goals as well. Nothing seems to phase the lad and this kind of form is really first class!

All in all we've set up the second leg quite nicely and if we can show the same will to win in Germany we should go through. However, Bremen will remain dangerous and may have a couple of important players back for the 2nd leg so the tie is far from won (remember Dortmund a few years back?). Half-time then and we're doing rather well!

Also, I'd just like to say our fans were also superb again. Ibrox again a sell out and with an unmatched away support following this season (record crowds at various venues) I hope the players and club admin realise what a fantastic and loyal following they have. Not sure what the crowd will be on Sunday with so many home games together but considering the 3 home CL matches, two UEFA matches, the CIS games and now two Scottish Cup matches, the fans' commitment is extraordinary as you look at half empty stadia elsewhere.

Terrific result and performance- thoroughly professional and did what was required. Agree with all the player commnets- even Charlie was beeter than expected!

I thought that Werder were the poorest "top" European team I have seen at Ibrox for a while and could easily have lost the game by more goals than the 2 howlers that their keeper committed.

It wont be esy in Germany, but I am more confident of the teams ability to adapt to this type of situation this year than I have been for a while.

What price on a 4-6 formation?

if only big Lee had flung himself at that ball near the end - though in fairness it was an astonishing tackle by the defender.

I agree with what most people are saying, especially in singling out Broadfoot in particular, and also Adam for some well earned praise.

It's still going to be incredibly hard over there where they will surely be a far stronger proposition but to be honest I would have taken 0-0 from the home leg so 2-0 is pretty damn good.

I'm getting annoyed by this run now icon_biggrin.gif

Get a nice draw and youse have a decent chance of making the final I think. I just hope Bremen have a better keeper for the 2nd leg.

Is the German league struggling at the moment? Bayern look good by UEFA Cup standards, but either youse or us could fancy our chances of beating them. Bremen don't look particularly great, and Stuttgart were pish.

I think it's fair to say we played well against both sides as opposed to them being p!sh...

Even when Stuttgart beat us over there we did OK and could easily have had a better result if not for some poor defending.

With Munich, Leverkuson, Hemburg and Bremen all still in the competition, I think all of these teams have the capability to win it.

I'm just glad to see Scottish teams (all of them this season) doing well to compete with our continental counterparts in various games. It's this kind of quality and consistency that we should be aiming for if we want to take the next step.

We're always at a disadvantage when it comes to money but as we've seen we can dominate when it comes to spirit, quality and hard work which can yield positive results - if not trophy winning ones.

I thought we actually played really well last night as much as Bremen were pish - works both ways tbh, we stopped them from playing. Was always fairly confident because although they have beaten Real and Roma, they were also utterly gubbed home and away by Olympiacos.

You can say we could have had a third, both McCulloch and Ferguson had good chances - so even a 4th - but we would have gleefully taken 2-0 at the start of the night. The players just need to hold their nerve in Germany and we should have enough to get through. Tbh we'd be rank outsiders and I can't see us progressing beyond the quarters but it's still a lot better than many of us would have hoped for at the start of the season.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

How many games this season have we lost 2 or more goals btw?

7 times but in 5 of those games we also scored... icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's reassuring enough then. I'm confident we won't concede anyway. Our game seems suited for away days.

Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

I've just had a horrible vision that Charlie Adam will start tonight icon_frown.gif

Had a decent game at the weekend and against Hearts last week. Also capable of scoring in the big games so while I'm always dubious about his selection, we should get behind the lad to try and help ensure he plays as well as he can - which isn't bad sometimes.

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking forward to watching the game tonight without Ter moaning everytime Charlie Adam touches the ball icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy sitting next to me moaned everytime he touched the ball as well icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Just watching Mikey Mols on Rangers TV against Motherwell. Forgot how good this team actually was.

Aye were a great team to watch but generally underachieved in Europe compared to recent teams....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Just watching Mikey Mols on Rangers TV against Motherwell. Forgot how good this team actually was.

Aye were a great team to watch but generally underachieved in Europe compared to recent teams.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup it's amazing, although the team with Mols did well that season until he was crippled. Advocaat's Euro record wasn't actually that bad was it?

Lee McCulloch playing for the 'Well here, and .... Pat Nevin icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Aye were a great team to watch but generally underachieved in Europe compared to recent teams.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup it's amazing, although the team with Mols did well that season until he was crippled. Advocaat's Euro record wasn't actually that bad was it?

Lee McCulloch playing for the 'Well here, and .... Pat Nevin icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think McLeish's record was better and look at his resources. icon_biggrin.gif

McLeish did very the pittance he received compared to Advocaat which was a wasteful time and one which has hindered us for the last 7 years.

However, the signs are positive that we're on the way back but we've not won anything yet so we need to maintain our form, discipline and commitment for the coming months.

At least we have the backing of the cheating refs to help us. That advantage we're getting from having seven less bookings than Celtic, one more ordering off and conceded one less penalty must be the equivalent of a 4 point lead. Meanwhile the Celtic goalkeeper is being booked after games for again making an idiot of himself is really helping us big time!

Thank you Brines/McCurry/etc the bigots!

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Lee McCulloch playing for the 'Well here, and .... Pat Nevin icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think McLeish's record was better and look at his resources. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pish.

Advocaat won over 50% of games played in Europe, something McLeish was nowhere near doing.

McLeish did very the pittance he received compared to Advocaat which was a wasteful time and one which has hindered us for the last 7 years.

However, the signs are positive that we're on the way back but we've not won anything yet so we need to maintain our form, discipline and commitment for the coming months.

At least we have the backing of the cheating refs to help us. That advantage we're getting from having seven less bookings than Celtic, one more ordering off and conceded one less penalty must be the equivalent of a 4 point lead. Meanwhile the Celtic goalkeeper is being booked after games for again making an idiot of himself is really helping us big time!

Thank you Brines/McCurry/etc the bigots!

Celtic...Celtic...Celtic with you isn't it

no wonder your mob has the reputation it does.

I think he meant in terms of relative success - ie qualifying from the group stage which DA - despite his vast spending - didn't achieve...

icon_smile.gif

Had a fair share of 'bad luck' though whereas McLeish certainly carried a fair bit of luck. Otoh, perhaps McLeish deserved his luck for the fact he had no budget. Still, overall, would much rather watch the team in Advocaat's first couple of years than McLeish's.

Had a fair share of 'bad luck' though whereas McLeish certainly carried a fair bit of luck. Otoh, perhaps McLeish deserved his luck for the fact he had no budget. Still, overall, would much rather watch the team in Advocaat's first couple of years than McLeish's.

No doubt about it. But, in real terms, success was sporadic and boy did we pay for it... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

Says the man in the Rangers thread...again.

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And with the 'reputation' he has.

Although 'man' is stretching it a bit tbh.

I think he meant in terms of relative success - ie qualifying from the group stage which DA - despite his vast spending - didn't achieve...

icon_smile.gif

Had a fair share of 'bad luck' though whereas McLeish certainly carried a fair bit of luck. Otoh, perhaps McLeish deserved his luck for the fact he had no budget. Still, overall, would much rather watch the team in Advocaat's first couple of years than McLeish's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember though, McLeish won his first 5/5 trophies against which was arguably the best Celtic side of recent years. Shows you how well he done considering he had such sparse resources. You make your own luck anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

Says the man in the Rangers thread...again.

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And with the 'reputation' he has.

Although 'man' is stretching it a bit tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very good,go and write a story..harry

Originally posted by theholyone:

Your not a big shot..trust me we know what you are!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

What are you talking about, son?

I am a proud, proud Rangers supporter - same as the other bears in this thread - no more no less. But I'm glad to make sure you know that.

Your not a big shot..trust me we know what you are!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

What are you talking about, son?

I am a proud, proud Rangers supporter - same as the other bears in this thread - no more no less. But I'm glad to make sure you know that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly I wont even start on what I think about you..slightest thing I'll say ill be out in my ear

all i'll say is..Spiers has your trust down to a tee!

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ignored post by theholyone posted 07 March 2008 13:54

Never realised you could ignore posters. \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it's a great wee thing icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif

Advocaat didn't give us catastrophic failures in 3 seasons though.

Advocaat was also a victim of bad luck - we scored 8 points in each of his CL campaigns, compared with 7 in McLeish's.

Anyone who thinks McLeish was more of a success in Europe than Advocaat needs to get tapes of the games and go back and watch them.

Ah, it's a RST related thing... icon_biggrin.gif

Listen, son I couldn't care what you (or Spiers) think about the Trust or yours truly. We'll just concentrate on representing my fellow fans as well as we've done for the last 5 years.

You? Well, you're just an irrelevance and it's good to see I (and the Trust) annoy you so much you want to abuse us on internet forums. You've done it before and you'll do it again. You're nothing more than a coward and a mightily boring one at that.

Now, why not toddle off back to the rock you crawled out from and take your personal issues elsewhere.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

icon_smile.gif

Advocaat didn't give us catastrophic failures in 3 seasons though.

Advocaat was also a victim of bad luck - we scored 8 points in each of his CL campaigns, compared with 7 in McLeish's.

Anyone who thinks McLeish was more of a success in Europe than Advocaat needs to get tapes of the games and go back and watch them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all relative mate. Of course DA played the better football but I just think with McLeish's situation he did better than DA.

Dick spent £32,000,000 from 2000-2002 and we still finished 2nd in those 2 seasons.

Imagine what would happen had Walter spent 32 million. icon_redface.gif

Ah, it's a RST related thing... icon_biggrin.gif

Listen, son I couldn't care what you (or Spiers) think about the Trust or yours truly. We'll just concentrate on representing my fellow fans as well as we've done for the last 5 years.

You? Well, you're just an irrelevance and it's good to see I (and the Trust) annoy you so much you want to abuse us on internet forums. You've done it before and you'll do it again. You're nothing more than a coward and a mightily boring one at that.

Now, why not toddle off back to the rock you crawled out from and take your personal issues elsewhere.

the bjk knew brigade,still a miniority aye?

thats me out this thread..not all of us are untouchable sadly icon_smile.gif

He's just an idiot Frankie, best thing is to stick him on ignore and forget about him. More important things to talk about tbh.

Unfortunately, I feel it's sometimes better to take such cowards to task on their lies rather than ignoring them.

Not sure what the lad is trying to achieve but, as was shown under his previous guises, I honestly think he needs some sort of mental help. Shame really as most of us seem to be able to debate strongly and passionately without abuse.

Originally posted by theholyone:

the bjk knew brigade,still a miniority aye?

thats me out this thread..not all of us are untouchable sadly icon_smile.gif

Dearie, dearie me. Is that all you've got? Honestly?

Archived