The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

Gordon's barely put a foot wrong for Scotland since his nervous early caps. He's definitely better than McGregor at the moment. I just hope Sunderland stay up and Keane signs a whole new defence in the summer.

Again, same as the Boruc debate.

The difference in ability, if any actually exists, is extremely marginal.

Bloody hell the bores are out in force tonight - now we're not allowed to fly the flag of our country alongside the many Saltires/Lion Rampents you see at Ibrox most weeks! Best ever card display in UK featured one Union flag and two Saltires but let's ignore that to have a pointless dig as Rangers become the last British club in the UEFA Cup...

Onto the game and I was pretty disappointed at how defensive we were - not to mention slack in possession and poor work-rates from some. There's no doubt if Bremen had finished properly they would have won the game but we did defend very well at times and McGregor showed once again how capable he is - apart from some unusually poor goal-kicking...

As the game went on we seemed to cope a little better so it was frustrating when we allowed Diego the space to fire home from the edge of the box. Davis should have killed the tie a few mins later and after that it was just a case of holding on.

Great result then and this run is proving pretty useful - especially if we can get JCD and Cousin fit again quickly. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by TM:

McGregor easily the MOTM, the Sanogo save is possibly one of the best I've seen him do tbh (infact it might even be one of the best saves I've seen in football tbh) - absolutely stunning icon14.gif

Pity about the 4/5 kickout he put straight out the park icon_biggrin.gif

All in all a expected performance and were through. Now on to the first trophy of the year.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

Hopefully ITV or Five will pick up our quarter-final icon14.gif

Apparently ITV shelled out a fair whack for the exclusive rights from the quarter finals onwards.

As the only British club left, we get all that TV money. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flying the flag for Britain. icon14.gif

Wonder what Hutton's saying to it? icon_biggrin.gif

I think i'm going to propose to Allan McGregor on Sunday.

Unbeliveable moment of football and possibly one of the best saves you'll ever see.

The game itself was inifinitely more exhausting to watch as a Ger than the Panatha game. Diego's moment of brilliance had me watching the rest of the game through my fingers.

Awful tonight but the result was all we were after; so i'm happy with that. Here's hoping we draw Dick's men.

CIS Cup next icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

Apparently ITV shelled out a fair whack for the exclusive rights from the quarter finals onwards.

As the only British club left, we get all that TV money. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just wondering here, so that means STV for the Scottish coverage and probably ITV4 for nationwide coverage?

can't see them putting a Rangers game on ITV1 tbh as we wouldn't be as big a draw as an English team game would be

Provisional Champions League Pots

Pot 1

116.006 Chelsea

113.006 Liverpool

111.507 FC Barcelona

109.006 Arsenal

99.380 Olympique Lyonnais

97.006 Manchester United

96.687 Internazionale Milan

93.507 Real Madrid

if the Premiership remains the way it is, we could have a real shout for pot 2.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Cuellar what a bargain icon_cool.gif

Has to be a contender for player of the year, although very rarely goes to a defender.

Most consistent player in the SPL in terms of quality of performance...

McGeady, McGregor, Boruc and McDonald have all been very good as well but Cuellar for me as it stands.

Long way to go though.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

just wondering here, so that means STV for the Scottish coverage and probably ITV4 for nationwide coverage?

can't see them putting a Rangers game on ITV1 tbh as we wouldn't be as big a draw as an English team game would be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will be on ITV mate, because ITV have shelled out a fortune to the rights of the later Uefa Cup stages and the pool is a BRITISH one, so we benefit greatly, as we recieve the money from them and our games will be shown on ITV as they can't really afford to take the big loss, and i reckon after how were doing, the English fans will take an interest to quote Colin Murray of Channel 5

"Lets get right behind Rangers, Brtains sole representitives" Pat Nevins face was a treat to behold. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Long way to go though.

not sure about player, but writers is in the bag for Chick Young's fantasy

Cuellar should get it, but I doubt he will - even if we win the league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Football writers in this country don't have a clue anyway... icon_wink.gif

To be honest I don't care who wins it as long as we win the league. That's what matters!

Just watched that McGregor save again.

Man that has to go down as one of the best ever stops I've ever seen. How he got across and touched that ball I'll never know. Everybody else (including myself) had stopped, wrongly thinking it was offside, but Allan kept his concentration and won the tie with that save.

Really first-class stuff from the lad tonight. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by McNeil:

The main man to criticise tonight was at RB, he made me absolutely mince myself on a number of occasions tonight icon_frown.gif

A reason he should be back up for injuries. If Whittaker is fit he has to play, Broadfoot is a disaster waiting to happen.

His poor clearing header led to their goal tonight.

The main man to criticise tonight was at RB, he made me absolutely mince myself on a number of occasions tonight icon_frown.gif

I thought Barry was the worst player tbh, he didn't keep possession at all and pretty much misplaced every pass, even some when he wasn't under pressure

Hemdani was quite close though, surprising as he's usually our most calmest and best passer

Broadfoot?

I though he was very solid for the most part and got forward very effectively at times. Not the best defensive header at the goal but other than that he had another decent game.

Thought Ferguson and Hemdani were possibly our worst players tonight as well as Charlie Adam whose lack of pace/mobility was exposed too often for my liking.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McNeil:

A reason he should be back up for injuries. If Whittaker is fit he has to play, Broadfoot is a disaster waiting to happen.

His poor clearing header led to their goal tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one thing the lad has, is he will try, but he's just not Rangers quality, I'd like to see whittaker play there, but he reaks of a man with no confidence, and it is very obvious in the way he plays. We also sorely miss the pace down that channel icon_frown.gif

Barry Ferguson was a joke tonight tbh. I thought Broadfoot did ok, he's an average SPL player at best, but he is overperforming and showing a lot of guts which is all you can ask. Too many fans expect too much from average players, but then never critize people like Ferguson who was dire and clearly needs dropped.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McNeil:

Broadfoot?

I though he was very solid for the most part and got forward very effectively at times. Not the best defensive header at the goal but other than that he had another decent game.

Thought Ferguson and Hemdani were possibly our worst players tonight as well as Charlie Adam whose lack of pace/mobility was exposed too often for my liking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Broadfoot was poor Frankie IMO, constantly drifted in and offered the Bremen left winger the freedom to get many crosses in. Any time the lad gets the ball I worry what he's going to do with it.

Must be watching a different game from you guys. Broadfoot has done little wrong since he came into the team and Whittaker's problem is that he's too over-confident on the ball and gets caught in possession too often.

Hutton is a big miss of course but Kirk has done very well to step into his shoes and I see little evidence of any disasters in his play. Over exuberance in his attacking play on occasion but solid enough at the back.

Guest sav112
Originally posted by TM:

I thought Barry was the worst player tbh,

Second that, although BF's cross over the whole pitch to clear it was really poor.

Broadfoot was poor Frankie IMO, constantly drifted in and offered the Bremen left winger the freedom to get many crosses in. Any time the lad gets the ball I worry what he's going to do with it.

The whole team played very centrally and Broadfoot got across to the winger as well as he could and I can't remember as many crosses from that side compared to Papac who didn't close down often enough.

In possession he did OK considering the lack of outlets available to him for most of the game.

Think you're being a tad harsh here.

Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Second that, although BF's cross over the whole pitch to clear it was really poor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So was Broadfoots Beckham-esque pass to their centre forward. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Barry Ferguson was a joke tonight tbh. I thought Broadfoot did ok, he's an average SPL player at best, but he is overperforming and showing a lot of guts which is all you can ask. Too many fans expect too much from average players, but then never critize people like Ferguson who was dire and clearly needs dropped.

When anyone dare criticize Ferguson you get the bog standard "you're just bitter because he left" or "hes the best player we have" speal.

I'd make it a priority of flogging Ferguson in the summer and pull out all the stops to get Davis in.

The last game Ferguson made me come away from and say "Now that was the real Ferguson" was the OF game last year.

He was far from the worst player in our side tonight and was superb in the 1st leg. Yes, Whittaker is a better player but Walter obviously feels the lad is doing the job and he's the guy that counts. Even if his love affair with Adam is annoying.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Must be watching a different game from you guys. Broadfoot has done little wrong since he came into the team and Whittaker's problem is that he's too over-confident on the ball and gets caught in possession too often.

Hutton is a big miss of course but Kirk has done very well to step into his shoes and I see little evidence of any disasters in his play. Over exuberance in his attacking play on occasion but solid enough at the back.

Your the one who must have been watching a different game, when he goes forward he isn't one for putting a cross in, rather over lap and pass back for the midfielder to do, and when he does its poor, its opposition like tonight he has to be up to the mark to play against, and got caught out a few times tonight. Whittaker is not over confident, your the first one to say that, everyone i know agrees he is a man of little confidence, and if he gets his place in the side at RB i reckon he will slowly prove he is a good RB, although he is slow, he prove at Hibs he is a good RB, and looked to have some ammount of talent, that doesn't just disapear, watching him at Ibrox you see he isn't comfortable getting the ball just now, and this is due to lack of confidence.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Second that, although BF's cross over the whole pitch to clear it was really poor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So was Broadfoots Beckham-esque pass to their centre forward. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should be booted up the arse for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

He certainly isn't the best we have by a long shot. His passing tonight was nothing short of disgraceful and he simply refuses to take the ball and play, which he needs to do in the role he's playing. Rubbish as a captain as well imo, but again Walter obviously doesn't agree and I respect his judgement over ours icon_wink.gif

When anyone dare criticize Ferguson you get the bog standard "you're just bitter because he left" or "hes the best player we have" speal.

I'd make it a priority of flogging Ferguson in the summer and pull out all the stops to get Davis in.

The last game Ferguson made me come away from and say "Now that was the real Ferguson" was the OF game last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by sav112:

I agree Ferguson was extremely poor tonight, Davis on the other hand GHS (Get Him Signed!) icon_biggrin.gif Fantastic player, I believe Ferguson was shocking tonight, lucky enough Davis played well to cover us. Ferguson has only really had a couple of good games this season, one of which was the OF game at Ibrox.

Originally posted by gavinkil:

Won and got through.

Think the whole team suffered from just having Novo himself upfront lack of outlets.

Barry himself didnt really take control of the team as much as he usual but doesnt matter now.

The big problem tonight was the fact that we again fell into the trap of launching high ball after high ball up the park to try and relieve the pressure on us. Now i'm no genius, but a guy of Naldo's size up against a guy of Novo's size isnt going to be much of a battle.

Broadfoot isn't one for putting crosses in? He's created two goals doing it and I've seen him get lots of praise for the quality of his final ball. The fella is a centre-half playing at full back and so far hasn't let us down for a player with no European experience and only one season in the SPL. What are you expecting? icon_biggrin.gif

As for Whittaker, a guy who is suffering from a lack of confidence wouldn't be taking lots of touches on the ball, trying to beat men and/or looking for difficult passes inside. He's be lumping it every time and he's not been doing that in any game I've seen him play. His run near the end of the game was superb and an under-confident player would not have attempted that.

Guest sav112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

So was Broadfoots Beckham-esque pass to their centre forward. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should be booted up the arse for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats what i had in mind icon_biggrin.gif although the the other Bf was just as bad

Archived