The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

He certainly isn't the best we have by a long shot. His passing tonight was nothing short of disgraceful and he simply refuses to take the ball and play, which he needs to do in the role he's playing. Rubbish as a captain as well imo, but again Walter obviously doesn't agree and I respect his judgement over ours icon_wink.gif

Thats it he's the manager, and makes the decisions, but thats not to say that every one he makes is correct icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ferguson has had a very inconsistent season. He's been asked to play this more advanced role and I just don't think he's capable of doing it well enough.

Tonight he was well off the boil and I was annoyed by his lack of work-rate. However he did a little better near the end of the game and he's still a very important player to have. He's second only to McGeady in terms of creative stats this season and that's not bad going for someone not at his best.

I look forward to him having a better last quarter of the season.

Not sure what's so offensive about our own country's flag, Nuremberg Coo?

Back 5 were awesome tonight, along with Davis. The 2-0 meant we started deep and just got deeper, but hey! ignore the naysaying green-eyed monsters and revel in going through.

Also have to laugh at how this match gives any indication to how we'll play against Celtic. We've shown all season how adaptable we are and this was always going to be one of those nights where we dug in to get the result and guess what? We got the result.

Quite liked Bremen, they had terrible strikers but their movement and willingness from midfield and the flanks was pretty exciting. Oh well.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Broadfoot isn't one for putting crosses in? He's created two goals doing it and I've seen him get lots of praise for the quality of his final ball. The fella is a centre-half playing at full back and so far hasn't let us down for a player with no European experience and only one season in the SPL. What are you expecting? icon_biggrin.gif

As for Whittaker, a guy who is suffering from a lack of confidence wouldn't be taking lots of touches on the ball, trying to beat men and/or looking for difficult passes inside. He's be lumping it every time and he's not been doing that in any game I've seen him play. His run near the end of the game was superb and an under-confident player would not have attempted that.

so you don't see his passes (short ones) ? They are obvious sins of lack of confidence, cant pick a pass out to a man 10 yards away, we are just going to have to disagree, as the only time he really tries switching the ball like that, is when he can't pick a pass near by due to being closed down. I believe given a chance he can show what he really has.

Originally posted by McD:

Unreal isn't it? Strange how Rangers fans are always being accused of being intolerant yet fans of other clubs are quick to suggest we're not permitted to fly the flag of the United Kingdom. Bizarre hypocrisy!

Anyway, hope yer team wins on Sunday and next midweek lads. I'm away to our But'n'Ben at the Lakes for a week's R&R and won't be online again until next Friday night.

WATP

Also have to laugh at how this match gives any indication to how we'll play against Celtic. We've shown all season how adaptable we are and this was always going to be one of those nights where we dug in to get the result and guess what? We got the result.

really no idea where they've got that idea from tonight's game to be honest icon_biggrin.gif at Ibrox in the OF game, we'd certainly not be sitting back and humping the ball up looking for Novo to hold it up - Novo might play, but I reckon it would be him and Naismith on the wings with somebody upfront (Darch/McCulloch/Boyd?) take your pick

Anyway, hope yer team wins on Sunday and next midweek lads. I'm away to our But'n'Ben at the Lakes for a week's R&R and won't be online again until next Friday night.

Get tore into that porridge in the drawer and watch out for Granpaw's high jinx. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Unreal isn't it? Strange how Rangers fans are always being accused of being intolerant yet fans of other clubs are quick to suggest we're not permitted to fly the flag of the United Kingdom. Bizarre hypocrisy!

WATP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering much of our support comes from England and N. Ireland it makes us a proper British club and I don't see any problems.

"More Than A Club." icon_smile.gif

Have a good one Frankie.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Considering much of our support comes from England and N. Ireland it makes us a proper British club and I don't see any problems.

"More Than A Club." icon_smile.gif

Have a good one Frankie.

The fact that were based in Britain is enough, now if we were flying the flag of a foreign country.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

WATP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry mate, by then i will have

1) Watched Rangers win the first Domestic Trophy of the season.

2) Watched alot of our youngers/back-ups play against Partick and take us to the Semi-Finals icon_biggrin.gif

Ferguson has had a very inconsistent season. He's been asked to play this more advanced role and I just don't think he's capable of doing it well enough.

Tonight he was well off the boil and I was annoyed by his lack of work-rate. However he did a little better near the end of the game and he's still a very important player to have. He's second only to McGeady in terms of creative stats this season and that's not bad going for someone not at his best.

I look forward to him having a better last quarter of the season.

Not playing like that he isn't. I agree with you though about the fact he simply isn't the player to play the role he's been given. That role needs to take the ball, control it, run with, relieve the pressure on the rest of the team particularly in games like tonights. Ferguson just can't do that.

Also I don't think it's that daft to play a player like Novo against those two, you just have to play the ball on the ground or in behind them which we didnt manage at all.

But still, we've played a hell of a lot better than that in Europe and lost so I for one am more than delighted to have progressed. If we can get Cousin/JCD fit and playing we have a chance to do something in this tournament now, but otherwise I think we'll eventually come unstuck with the 4-5-1 stuff.

Congrats lads! For all their inability to score more than once, Bremen really blew it in the first leg though. They're too inconsistent a team this season to win anything - after a series of good games you can bet on yet another blackout due sooner or later. Admittedly for all the early season injuries and issues they did an amazing job even making it that far.

Also I don't think it's that daft to play a player like Novo against those two, you just have to play the ball on the ground or in behind them which we didnt manage at all.

thought Nacho did aright tonight with what he had, all he really had to do was get past Naldo/Mertesacker and he was practically in on Wiese - maybe 8 times out of 10 on a one-on-one, I'd bet on Nacho to finish it icon14.gif

we never gave him enough service, but as said it doesn't really matter now - we do need JCD/Cousin back for the QF though

I think its a disgrace that people are jumping on Barry's back. He's the best man for captain and works harder than anyone else for the club. He's had some brilliant performances this season and as soon as he has an off day people start to question his form/ability.

He's a true Rangers legend, and is being played out of his preferred position, but yet is still putting in great performances. He's the one closing down defenders, pushing it in to win balls that the strikers are too lazy to track.

Disgrace

Originally posted by matty_8:

I think its a disgrace that people are jumping on Barry's back. He's the best man for captain and works harder than anyone else for the club. He's had some brilliant performances this season and as soon as he has an off day people start to question his form/ability.

He's a true Rangers legend, and is being played out of his preferred position, but yet is still putting in great performances. He's the one closing down defenders, pushing it in to win balls that the strikers are too lazy to track.

Disgrace

Has theholyone hacked your account?

Disgrace

Awa' an' bile yer heid ya numpty.

He most certainly was NOT closing down the defenders or anything else tonight, and hasn't been for some time. He plays crap, he gets the stick its pure and simple. He hasn't put in a decent performance for months so I don't know what team you've been watching but it isn't Rangers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Disgrace

Awa' an' bile yer heid ya numpty.

He most certainly was NOT closing down the defenders or anything else tonight, and hasn't been for some time. He plays crap, he gets the stick its pure and simple. He hasn't put in a decent performance for months so I don't know what team you've been watching but it isn't Rangers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree tonight wasn't Barry's finest 90 minutes. But do you seriously want him closing down defenders when we are trying to hold a lead away to Werder Bremen? He was required to sit in and help out Hemdani nd co.

And a few months! He has had some great games in last few months. Maybe last few games, months no

somebody escaped from FF? icon_biggrin.gif

I thought he was a disgrace tonight, he didn't look like was getting a grip at all, his passing was abysmal even without pressure and his positioning/tackling was all wrong - lucky Davis played well and Carlos/McGregor were there to save his arse

I agree with what Frankie said actually about him playing in a position that is alien to him - he's scored a few goals this season (some crackers it must be said) from the more attacking position that players like Thomson/Hemdani/Dailly allow him to play, but he is just not right in that. His best position is sitting in midfield, looking at the play ahead of him and picking off passes, while controlling the game. An example of some class link up play was him and Darch in the Hearts game last month, but apart from that it's been very miminal

But do you seriously want him closing down defenders when we are trying to hold a lead away to Werder Bremen? He was required to sit in and help out Hemdani nd co.

No I want him to take the ball and run with it, keeping possession and making the Bremen players work, as well as support the lone striker that my poor demented friend, is the role he is playing. He is not very good at it, because he doesn't want to keep possession of the ball. As TM says, it's not his best position but there is no way I'm sitting here having someone spout all this Barry Legend crap, and how dare he be criticized. Davie Cooper, Jim Baxter, Alex MacDonald etc etc were all far better players than Ferguson will ever be, but they were also the subject of criticism if they deserved it and quite rightly so. We're not Celtic.

Still think if we're going to persist with a three-man midfield, you need someone with pace and composure to break and link up with the striker and two wide men. Ferguson 5 or 6 years ago maybe, Davis lacks a genuine creative spark and is better at breaking up play, Buffel's a non-starter, and no-one else in the squad really has staked a claim. Something to think about in the summer. Gerrard's not for sale is he?

It's deffo an area we lack in. I would prefer seeing Barry beside Thomson, but not sure then where Davis would fit in and he looks a decent player. There is nothing at all wrong with the system we play, it can get goals as we've shown but it does have a huge weakness in that you need a good link up man, and a striker who can hold the ball and be powerful like Cousin, although he's a lazy git at times.

Would you actually not play Barry in your Rangers first team?

My Rangers team with every one fit would be

McGregor

Whittaker

Cuellar

Weir (although he's losing it fast)

Papac (Smith next season)

Burke (although I'd like a new right winger)

Thomson

Davis

Naismith (Beasley next season with Naisy moving upfront)

Cousin

JCD

Davis has played decent on right as well as in centre. Not as attacking as Burkey though

I hope we sign Davis, midfield 3 of Ferguson, Davis and Thomson. With Beasley on one wing and Naismith on the other. With Darche/Cousin upfront depending on whos fit and who were playing.

It's deffo an area we lack in. I would prefer seeing Barry beside Thomson, but not sure then where Davis would fit in and he looks a decent player.

If Hemdani goes in the summer and we keep Davis, we have three (four if also we retain Dailly) players vying for two holding midfield positions and should concentrate on bringing at least one person in to link up and bring some proper creativity to our midfield.

Originally posted by McNeil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Davis has played decent on right as well as in centre. Not as attacking as Burkey though

I hope we sign Davis, midfield 3 of Ferguson, Davis and Thomson. With Beasley on one wing and Naismith on the other. With Darche/Cousin upfront depending on whos fit and who were playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but I dont honestly think any of those three provide the link to the striker we need it we're keeping the same system. We also need a partner for Cuellar, not convinced of Webster's fitness but he does possibly deserve a chance - if we keep him, he is still on loan yeah?

Apart from that, Jimbo's team looks not too bad but I can't see JCD staying fit, which is a shame cos he's got a great attitude.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McNeil:

I hope we sign Davis, midfield 3 of Ferguson, Davis and Thomson. With Beasley on one wing and Naismith on the other. With Darche/Cousin upfront depending on whos fit and who were playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but I dont honestly think any of those three provide the link to the striker we need it we're keeping the same system. We also need a partner for Cuellar, not convinced of Webster's fitness but he does possibly deserve a chance - if we keep him, he is still on loan yeah?

Apart from that, Jimbo's team looks not too bad but I can't see JCD staying fit, which is a shame cos he's got a great attitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JCD would be in my team until next season and i'd have Naisy and Cousin up front if we can keep a hold of the big man.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "I can't recall a match where we were so dominant, this was very unjust," Diego said after Bremen had 35 shots on goal to four by Rangers.

I feel for him, really icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats he complaining about, they won the game, so technically it wasn't "unjust" it would be "unjust" if we drew 0-0 or 1-1 or had won 1-0.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

About 34 of them went over the bar.

IF he had done something against us the other 189 mins they might have made it.

Chelsea are looking to spend close on 25million on him.... fools and their money.

I don't rate Diego from the four games he's played against us. Moments of brilliance at times but his mentally is terrible. Diving little bar steward!

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

About 34 of them went over the bar.

IF he had done something against us the other 189 mins they might have made it.

Chelsea are looking to spend close on 25million on him.... fools and their money.

I don't rate Diego from the four games he's played against us. Moments of brilliance at times but his mentally is terrible. Diving little bar steward! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Ibrox, whenever anyone went near him he would end up on the floor. Can't say I rate him too much after the 2 games

At Ibrox, whenever anyone went near him he would end up on the floor. Can't say I rate him too much after the 2 games

Thats because the ref at Ibrox was a fanny who gave a free kick for every tackle. The ref in Germany was excellent because he simply wasn't falling for it.

Archived