The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tony_cfc:

i agree with that, suits your game better to go away with something to defend plus its worked in the 2 previous games.

i dont think the formation you play is suited to play the second leg needing to go all out attack

I agree tony and thankfully we haven't been in the position to need to do that. As much as we some (me at times) may not like the way we play in europe, its done the job so far.

So we cant seriously complain.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

we played all our home games in the 1st leg of our uefa cup run too, although people always seem to take having the 2nd leg at home as an advantage. depends on the team i guess

I just like the fact that away for the second leg has the advantage of away goals if its a close tie.

Once you get to the last 8 of a European competition, I suspect that there are no draws that are harder or easier than others.

We have used a whole barrowload of luck in the previous rounds and hopefully will continue to do so.

Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

YAS!

The two biggest tools from the two threads have disappeared!

Who's theholyone then.

I knew the lad was on a ****ing windup, but I (like the rest of youse) still took the bait. icon_mad.gif

you do realize that the clown could probably make a new account and easily come back right? lol

Originally posted by aaronla:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

YAS!

The two biggest tools from the two threads have disappeared!

Who's theholyone then.

I knew the lad was on a ****ing windup, but I (like the rest of youse) still took the bait. icon_mad.gif

you do realize that the clown could probably make a new account and easily come back right? lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if they register again after an alias ban, then the mods can ban the IP address so it is not as easy as it may be.

Jesus! Is that just for the two-legged quarter finals?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... if we knew we'd get this far would we be so quick to push Hutton out the door? Especially seeing as he'd give us an even better chance of progressing.

Guest sav112

That seems to be the consensus that the figure is about 15M, combined CL moneys and Uefa Cup. That along with Huttons Sale and the fact over the last four years Rangers have sorted themselves out is encouraging for next years figures. 24M that we probably could not back on if we had not sold Hutton or qualified for the CL and managed to progress in the Uefa Cup to the last eight.

It was suggested the Newcastle boss is a huge Ferguson fan but I don’t see him moving on even if it looks like a few ready made replacements are in place.

I expect Cousin will go in the summer as well, add at least another £3M in?

As regards the UEFA, so far we've done well but the whole team is going to have to up their performance even more if we are going to progress any further. Lets not kid ourselves about the performance the other night, we have no reasons at all to get carried away.

My heart says we can win this, my head says we haven't a hope in hell. Not sure who to believe yet, and there is a whole lot of water to pass under the bridge between now and then.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but i just watched the Walter Smith post Werder interview.. and realized

Charlie Adam is suspended for the next game. Aside from us progressing this is the best news i've got all week! haha

Even if Barry is linked with Newcastle, i don't see him leaving, we all know he can't get out of Govan without feeling homesick. But aye, we need to sign Davis this kid is class and he's only 22!

The last few months I've been watching Ferguson and it looks as if his pace has completely left him - admittedly this was based on European games.

Sure he can make the runs into the box but when it comes to a counter attack he's not the quickest, and for a player that wants to be an attacking player that's not exactly great for him. I hope we don't continue to play him because of who he is as I'm with you sav112, I reckon there are a few players that could slot into the team with Ferguson missing and we'd still play alright.

As for Sporting... I'm delighted we play at home first. Get a couple of goals (I hope!!) and defend the away leg as usual. It's not pretty to watch, but I think we'd accept that, not just to get through to the next round but also to get more money - then a few years down the line maybe we'd have more financial clout to start bringing in better quality again.

I'm hopefully optimistic that we win, but let's not kid ourselves that this will be an easy tie. Sporting have a decent team and they have players that can break us down, Lledson, Vucekevic and Moutinho are quality players.

I remember feeling optimistic about us getting Osasuna and we all know how that turned out. I think we can win, but i'm just allaying the notions that Sporting is no easy team.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Jesus! Is that just for the two-legged quarter finals?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... if we knew we'd get this far would we be so quick to push Hutton out the door? Especially seeing as he'd give us an even better chance of progressing.

From the Champions League we'll have made £9m, excluding gate reciepts which we get to keep ourselves. At £40 a ticket though this would be around £1m per match, so would take the total up to around £12m.

In total we've made approximately £4m so far from the UEFA Cup (up to Bremen), plus hospitality, and should we go on to the final will have made at least £12m from the UEFA Cup.

The game vs Bremen, seen us make a tidy £3.1M minimum, the semis would the add another £3M and the final would add a further £2M (if we get that far) So if we go out at the Quarters, we recieved £7.1M from the Uefa, Semis = £10.1M and Final would see us make £12.1M.

So in total (including gate receipts) we could net a tidy £24.1M from making the Final of the Uefa Cup including CL money, if you then add Huttons transfer, a staggering £32.1M income, which scarely enough is still short of what the team who finish BOTTOM of the EPL should recieve overall.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

It's deffo an area we lack in. I would prefer seeing Barry beside Thomson, but not sure then where Davis would fit in and he looks a decent player. There is nothing at all wrong with the system we play, it can get goals as we've shown but it does have a huge weakness in that you need a good link up man, and a striker who can hold the ball and be powerful like Cousin, although he's a lazy git at times.

Davis and Thomson >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ferguson and Davis/Thomson

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Good draw for you lot. Still quite tough though, Sporting are a pretty good team last time i checked.

Semis will be really tough if you get through.

Best draw we could have hoped for - IMO Sporting are the weakest side left in the competition and 3 of the 4 toughest sides are in the other half of the draw.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

Good draw for you lot. Still quite tough though, Sporting are a pretty good team last time i checked.

Semis will be really tough if you get through.

Best draw we could have hoped for - IMO Sporting are the weakest side left in the competition and 3 of the 4 toughest sides are in the other half of the draw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, they struggled against bolton who are simliar in style to us, so from that i take heart.

A lot of people wouldn't agree, but we wouldn't miss Ferguson if he went and actually I think it would be a good thing for the team to get rid of him. He isn't the driving force he should be and if the people who call him a 'legend' took their blinkers off they would see this.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

I agree, they struggled against bolton who are simliar in style to us, so from that i take heart.

Bolton reserves at that. Nothing to fear there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only problems we might have is the striking options and the possibilites that for once we might be favourites with some. Sporting are 5th in the Portugese league, 20pts behind the leaders FC Porto and remember we drew/beat them in the CL a few years ago (Porto I mean) icon_wink.gif

although I'm saying nothing, would love to get to a UEFA Cup Semi though - just as I was happy to get to the QF/SF draw icon_biggrin.gif

Just under three weeks to the first leg. Darcheville being fit is anyone's guess so hopefully Cousin's 6 week recovery time was an overestimate. Other players there, I guess, but would much rather we went into those games with at least one of those guys available. Also, Adam's suspended for the first leg, which some might see a boost!

It won't be easy especially with our tendency to just do enough in games. Still don't think we'll get a better chance of getting to a semi-final of a European cup. Which is a mad thing to say if you consider us 15 months ago. icon_biggrin.gif

thinking far ahead I know, but if we get a similar score to the Bremen 1st leg at home, I reckon we could be a bit more comfortable than the 2nd leg we had in Germany

Bremen very well known for attacking anyone at home and have had quite a lot of success from it, I don't think Sporting are as attacking - but it's a cliche that if you don't conceed an away goal, you have a better chance of progress

Yeah, all it takes is one spawny long-range effort or poorly defended corner and an away goal would cause us alot of problems. Don't hugely fancy our chances of going away from home looking for a win. Doesn't suit us somehow, does it?

Also have to factor in the games against Celtic and United in the midst of the European games. Fatigue, loss of concentration etc the players will have so much to deal with. Next couple of months are going to be awesome.

• SI Staff
CHRIS BURKE'S hair is a mess. The Rangers winger knows it and that's why more often than not it's stuffed into a woolly hat.

In fact, stick a fishing rod in the wee guy's hand and you could sit him at the bottom of your garden.

But he is going to have to put up with it for as long as his club's assault on four fronts continues - because his management team are refusing to allow him to cut it.

Walter Smith's too old to indulge in such nonsense but coaches Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall - neither of whom have much on top, come to think of it - have ordered Burke to stay away from the barber's until Rangers lose.

And although they did just that in Bremen on Thursday night, Burke has been told that result doesn't count because the team got through their UEFA Cup clash with the Germans on aggregate.

McCoist said: "Chris came to see me after the Bremen game and thought he could get his hair cut. I told him that although we'd lost the match, we'd won the tie - so that didn't count.

'The wee man is desperate to get it cut but Kenny and I are having none of it. We want this run to keep going for as long as possible. By the end of the season we hope he has a hair-cut like Edward Scissorhands!"

More: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/2008/0...-cut-86908-20351656/

Haha, at least that explains it icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

free kick I take it?

Yeah. 30 yard screamer. The only time he touched the ball was from free kicks. He was massively off the pace but he can clearly still hit a dead ball. Looked like an ex-pro playing in a testimonial game. Still wasn't as off the pace as Gary McSwegan, who looked about 3 stone overweight. Extrememly embarrassing that we failed to win today. Still trying to figure out how we didn't.

Archived