The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Be interesting to see what our line up will be for today with us having a few of the usual contenders missing.

Steven Naismith is cup tied, Charlie Adam and Nacho Novo are suspended and Cousin is injured and there is the usual doubts over Darcheville's fitness and Burke is struggling.

I'd go with...

McGregor

Whittaker

Papac

Weir

Cuellar

Thomson

Ferguson

Davis

McCulloch

Darcheville

Boyd

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

A lot of people wouldn't agree, but we wouldn't miss Ferguson if he went and actually I think it would be a good thing for the team to get rid of him. He isn't the driving force he should be and if the people who call him a 'legend' took their blinkers off they would see this.

he has been off the pace this season, and should be replaced in the team by Davies.

Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

So, which of youse are going today?

I'm on the train now like and forgot to check before I set off - which station will which set of fans be using? Hoping to gan hyam from United's cause it'll be less busy icon_smile.gif

Ha, you're on the wrong train icon_wink.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, I'm in Dunbar at the moment - when I get to Central, I dunno whether to go to King's or not. Do you know if King's is gonna be Rangers?

Already had a mad dash for the train (thank, crushingly, left be gasping for air for about an hour) - can't be deeing with it again this evening!

Yeah Jorg is at Broadwood - I never expected him to play today though (yet alone score for them!).

I saw Albertz on the scoresheet and thought to myself ,'It can't be can it?' It was!! icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

Gonna turn into Little Ibrox in the summer I reckon - expect an influx of Rangers kids to make the short trip to Cumbernauld.

I think we should send a few youngsters over there and if they have any sense they'll try and get their home games played on a different day to Rangers matches and they might get a few more fans through the door.

aye it's been pish, one of our worst performances of the season and similar to the one we had at Tannadice earlier in the season

Burke has just irritated me throughout the final, cannot take on his man and decides to pass, compared to ones like Broadfoot, Davis and even Dailly who seem to be able to cross better than him as well

Final score of the shootout 3-2, very very lucky. Boyd without doubt my MOM, if he can't get games after this, I don't know if he every will.

Harsh on Dundee United, they wanted it more and played very well. We didn't even start to play till the 2nd half and even then they still pegged us back a lot of times.

Darcheville - Missed

Whittaker - Scored

Davis - Scored

McCulloch - Missed

Boyd - Scored

McGregor saved 2

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

\o/ yay totally undeserved win, played utter pish and every single player should be docked their win bonus.

apart from Boyd and McGregor icon_biggrin.gif

Burke shouldn't even get a bloody medal, one of the worst performances I've seen in a Rangers jersey in a long time

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

\o/ yay totally undeserved win, played utter pish and every single player should be docked their win bonus.

apart from Boyd and McGregor icon_biggrin.gif

Burke shouldn't even get a bloody medal, one of the worst performances I've seen in a Rangers jersey in a long time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give Cuellar and Weir (minus distribution as always) a break, they were not that bad, at least pay them their bonus :p

Cuellar, Weir, McGregor, Boyd, Davis and possibly Papac as I thought he played aright can have the wages

Darch looked aright as well, but his problem was lack of service from a certain source

Guest sav112
Originally posted by morton2003:

Wd Ger's Officals did you proud ,

Yeah credit to the whole back room staff, Ally was on good form, not to sure about Walters line up but got there in the end. icon14.gif

Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by morton2003:

Wd Ger's Officals did you proud ,

Yeah credit to the whole back room staff, Ally was on good form, not to sure about Walters line up but got there in the end. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget Kenny McDowell

Guest sav112

Love these pathetic comments, its not like we deserved it but we fought all the way and that has to be given credit – never say die attitude this team has.

A game played well over ninety minutes, everyone must have thought Celtic were going after after a win…….. icon_wink.gif

Tbh their greetin faced whining and petty snide ref bias comments just make it all the sweeter that we won, that was the only reason I cared really. Amazing how the 'diddy' cup can evoke so much passion in people whose club wasn't even good enough to get to the final icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Haz:

the match thread is hilarious - such bitterness, particulary from a number whose interest in this particular competition ended a good while ago

not surprising is it? some even thought watching us in Bremen on Thursday would be an insight in how we'll play in the OF game at the end of the month icon14.gif

just shows that 4-5-1 is only needed for European nights or when you might get outclassed, it's not needed for games against Dundee Utd. When we went to 4-4-2, we looked so much better

Fantastic stuff today. Well, us winning, not the performance though. Credit to the boys for never giving up. I knew this would be a tough game but starting with a 451 gave Dundee Utd too much respect. Thats the same tactic we used against Barcelona.

Theres a couple things that annoy me though. How on earth does Lee McCulloch seem to get a match, everyone says his natural position is CF although clearly the lad couldn't finish his dinner. All heart and no ability. Also, hopefully Walter has seen enough of Burkey to drop him for a few games, the lads a liability. He plays well one game then plays rubbish ten games. I can't wait till Beasley is back.

McGregor and Boyd were superb today. Boyd done brilliant with his first goal, very aware. I doubt McCulloch would have even tested the keeper let alone finish it. He was fantastic with his second goal too, managed to get the head between 2 Untied defenders. Some great spot kick saves from Big Al. Although he did look a little of the pace during the match. Mate told me he was out clubbing till the early hours this morning. Not sure if thats the best pre-cup-final methods.

What did everyone think of Ferguson's performance today? I thought he was our best player over the 90 minutes. Not hard really. He seemed to be at the centre of everything we did. Covered every blade of grass. One of his better performances. However, he should have been the first player up taking a spot kick. Setting the example to rest, instead, he took the cowards route.

Dundee Utd were by far the better side today, they'll be truly gutted but it will be a lesson well learned. If you don't kill off sides like Rangers and Celtic you'll live to regret it. Just ask Aberdeen. I hope Walter has learned a lot from this match and who he can rely on when the crap truly hits the fan. It's not Chris Burke anyways. Credit to Dun Utd for putting on a great show though. Although, i'd rather play crap and win than play well and lose.

Let it be the first of many. Well done lads. icon14.gif

Darcheville changed the game today, by the way. If he had been on from the offset you may hae won quite comfortably.

An Arab on the train back to Central summed it up best, when he said that the trophy meant nothing to Rangers. Obviously, youse deserved to win as you ended up with the trophy, but I felt some sympathy (and empathy, as a Leeds fan) in knowing that youse are more concerned with the three other trophies you have on the go...the CIS Cup is usually a chisel for which the non-OF clubs can chip away at your duopoly.

That said, well done and congratulations - even if some of the supporters didn't appreciate it, Ally and Walter obviously did as they were going mental when Boyd scored icon_biggrin.gif

Darcheville changed the game today, by the way. If he had been on from the offset you may hae won quite comfortably.

An Arab on the train back to Central summed it up best, when he said that the trophy meant nothing to Rangers. Obviously, youse deserved to win as you ended up with the trophy, but I felt some sympathy (and empathy, as a Leeds fan) in knowing that youse are more concerned with the three other trophies you have on the go...the CIS Cup is usually a chisel for which the non-OF clubs can chip away at your duopoly.

That said, well done and congratulations - even if some of the supporters didn't appreciate it, Ally and Walter obviously did as they were going mental when Boyd scored icon_biggrin.gif

I think the fact we never looked like winning it means that all the supporters will value this success. Would be different had we won 5-0 or something. Did anyone notice Artur Boruc slipping out of the stadium at the end? icon_biggrin.gif

Its true really, I couldn't give a stuff personally about the League Cup, would have been quite happy to see them win it its a tinpot piece of crap that should be scrapped. But the comments in that other thread just made it so much nicer to have won in the end, I often think undeserved wins in which the ref wins it for you are so much sweeter. Of course they always win it for us, so much so it's amazing we haven't won anything for so long really. There ought to be an inquiry into that. icon_mad.gif

Archived