The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Its great how you can on talking about 'the nonsense people throw out' yet make up two totally random and stupid reasons for people flying a flag.

The flag has been a fixture at ibrox for years so obviously cant be flown for Steve Davis specifically.

And its not flown simply because its a part of the UK. Not many welsh flags about at games are there?

If you just said you have a high percentage of fans from Ulster or fans whos families have moved over from Ulster a few generations ago then it'd be fair enough.

People should be free to fly any flag at a game as long as it isnt speciailly intended to offend with added words on it etc icon14.gif

And I'm sure the fans might know more than one offensive song also icon_wink.gif I can think of a few myself.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anton:

Its great how you can on talking about 'the nonsense people throw out' yet make up two totally random and stupid reasons for people flying a flag.

The flag has been a fixture at ibrox for years so obviously cant be flown for Steve Davis specifically.

And its not flown simply because its a part of the UK. Not many welsh flags about at games are there?

If you just said you have a high percentage of fans from Ulster or fans whos families have moved over from Ulster a few generations ago then it'd be fair enough.

People should be free to fly any flag at a game as long as it isnt speciailly intended to offend with added words on it etc icon14.gif

And I'm sure the fans might know more than one offensive song also icon_wink.gif I can think of a few myself.

Which were sung on Sunday? and I know a few who take it because of Davis, so don't spout your stuff about it being "nonsence"

• SI Staff

Flying the red hand flag for Steve Davis icon_biggrin.gif

Doesnt offend me in the slightest but that reasoning just made me laugh.

What he said. Bit a stupid reason to give when it's been happening for years and years.

lovenkrands01 has it spot on

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Flying the red hand flag for Steve Davis icon_biggrin.gif

Doesnt offend me in the slightest but that reasoning just made me laugh.

What he said. Bit a stupid reason to give when it's been happening for years and years.

lovenkrands01 has it spot on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew a few as i said, who felt it wasnt right, but now are more than happy to fly it for Steve Davis, sure it was there before, but there are people who do it SOLELY for Davis, I see quite a few Spain flags now as well for Cuellar, there are people who bring it just for the player.

Sorry if I aint making myself clear here.

I took the sentance "i didnt hear TBB being sung, and it is the only song offensive" to mean that TBB was the only song that could be considered offensive. I know you didnt sing it, I didnt say that at all above. Just that their are a few other songs which are on the 'banned list' aswell as that one.

But ho hum, was only a jibe at the end of my main point. And was followed by a safety wink!

Yeah, there were loads of NI flags - I heard about ten N. Irish accents on the way to the stadium though, to be fair. Naive to think it as Steven Davis.

TBB was indeed sung by Dundee United fans, although with lyrics to fit their team.

Follow Follow renditions had people singing "Up the Falls, Derry's Walls" and "**** the Pope and the Vatican" though...but, to be fair, when it got to those bits, you could tell it was about 50/50 with the real lyrics and the sectarian ones.

I still laugh when I hear fans of other teams talk about fans singing offensive songs...

All i've got to say is....

Away and spin and dont go out to be offended.

Far too many in this country go out of their way to be offended they really grind my gears.

Letter in today's Dundee morning paper:

Sir,—I attended the Dundee United match at Hampden yesterday, and of course was disappointed at the final result.

What was far worse, however, was the behaviour of half a dozen fans in the row immediately in front. They had been drinking, and from the moment of their arrival till the point I finally left, they used every swear word ever invented, in every combination possible, to vent abuse at Rangers fans.

At the tops of their voices, and disregarding the presence of young children, they continued throughout the match, even going as far as making comments about the wives of the opposing team.

Their behaviour included sectarian taunts to Rangers fans on the balcony above (including, for some weird reason, making the sign of the cross), and inviting them to come down to “sort things out.â€

One fan, presumably the father of a young supporter, asked them to tone things down. This had no effect whatsoever, and only resulted in their wrath being directed at him.

They brought total shame on the club, on Dundee, and of course, more than anything else, on themselves.

Attend another match? Never, as long as I live.

A. F. Brown.

10 Abercromby Drive,

Bridge of Allan.

Nil By Mouth probing AS WE SPEAK

Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

You could clearly hear "fenian bastards" when the Rangers fans were singing "We are Rangers, super Rangers".

That will be the word that they themselves use to descride themselves.

As I said people will get offended at the drop of a hat in the UK now.

So do you believe it is fine for a white guy to call a black guy "N*gger", because that is what some black people call themselves?

I don't know, I just think that is a weak argument. I'm not easily offended, personally, but I can see how calling them "Fenian bastards" is offensive.

So people aren't allowed to be offended now? What would warrant offence to you, i wonder?

But eah, it doesn't offend me personally, as i'm not catholic (omgz a celtic fan and not catholic), but to say it's not offensive because thats apparently what we call ourselves?

Don't think i've heard many celtic fans call themselves that tbh.

Seriously jimbo, i'm starting to think you're as bad as ladle and theholymong.

Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

So do you believe it is fine for a white guy to call a black guy "N*gger", because that is what some black people call themselves?

I don't know, I just think that is a weak argument. I'm not easily offended, personally, but I can see how calling them "Fenian bastards" is offensive.

The two words are totally different. One has forever been known as an offensive word the other hasnt.

The word you said........

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.

a. a black person.

b. a member of any dark-skinned people.

The F word that Stirling said.....

1. a member of an Irish revolutionary organization founded in New York in 1858, which worked for the establishment of an independent Irish republic.

2. (in late Irish legends) a member of a group of warriors always ready to defend Ireland against its enemies.

Fenian is on par with the word Viking

I won't get into it, but diachronic change has seen the word pejorated. Much like how the word "idiot" has undergone the opposite - amelioration - with idiot previously being held in distain, due to it's extremely offensive and negative connotations circa the 18th Century.

Using the romantic definitions of yesteryear is ****ing in the wind when it comes to the understanding of the English language.

• SI Staff

I would rather they were still in and we play them in the final to be honest. Now they just have the league to concentrate on while we've got the CIS Diddy Cup in the bag and are still competing in the Scottish Cup, League and UEFA Cup.

I would rather they were still in and we play them in the final to be honest. Now they just have the league to concentrate on while we've got the CIS Diddy Cup in the bag and are still competing in the Scottish Cup, League and UEFA Cup.

I want them out of everything they play. The implosion has begun.

Nah, would rather be fighting on as many fronts as possible and so would they. I doubt two more games, one against QoS!, was going to drain huge amounts of concentration from their league run in anyway.

Also easy to look it another way and wonder what this does for their morale. Not that they look like they have much morale at the moment.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

What did everyone think of Ferguson's performance today? I thought he was our best player over the 90 minutes. Not hard really. He seemed to be at the centre of everything we did. Covered every blade of grass. One of his better performances. However, he should have been the first player up taking a spot kick. Setting the example to rest, instead, he took the cowards route.

What game were you watching? Ferguson had a shocker.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

What did everyone think of Ferguson's performance today? I thought he was our best player over the 90 minutes. Not hard really. He seemed to be at the centre of everything we did. Covered every blade of grass. One of his better performances. However, he should have been the first player up taking a spot kick. Setting the example to rest, instead, he took the cowards route.

What game were you watching? Ferguson had a shocker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ferguson has a shocker every game according to you. He could score a hat trick and you'd say he played ****.

Nah, I'll settle for sending them into meltdown after skelping them on the 29th. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Ferguson has a shocker every game according to you. He could score a hat trick and you'd say he played ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish.

Cuellar, Dailly, Weir, Davis, Boyd and Darcheville all had better games. Ferguson was nowhere near being our best player. Off the pace, dreadful passing.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

You lot at Hampden in the final would make my year, and beating you in that final would mean more than beating Bayern Munich and Copenhagen put together, honestly. icon14.gif

But y'all know thats never gonna happen, Aberdeen reaching the final btw.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Ferguson has a shocker every game according to you. He could score a hat trick and you'd say he played ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish.

Cuellar, Dailly, Weir, Davis, Boyd and Darcheville all had better games. Ferguson was nowhere near being our best player. Off the pace, dreadful passing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyones entitled to their own opinion etc, etc.

You lot at Hampden in the final would make my year, and beating you in that final would mean more than beating Bayern Munich and Copenhagen put together, honestly. icon14.gif

Bring it on, we'll quite happily pump you on the way to the treble.

Stranger things have happened, and it's been quite a year in the cups for us.

Skelped by Panathanaikos. Skelped by Atletico Madrid. Skelped by Bayern Munich. Skelped by Dundee United.

Aye, quite a year.

Jimbo I love your great knowledge of all things in the Scottish game and of the Scottish public perception to any football matter.

When was the last time you managed to see any Scottish game live? And anyone who goes to live games knows watching on the tele you see so little of the actual substance of the game.

You come on and give your ignorant perception of any incidents. Basically trying to start arguments, no facts or semi balanced arguments, just total bias.

But I know nothing will change you, so I wont bother even trying to have a decent discussion with you. You made your real colours clear a few months ago.

Just glad you aren't in the same country as us, we have enough cretins as it is.

Guest sav112

Stranger things have happened, and it's been quite a year in the cups for us.

Don’t get me wrong but glad you won tonight, you deserved it last time but then you have to play Celtic the official full 95 mins these days. icon_biggrin.gif

Jimbo I love your great knowledge of all things in the Scottish game and of the Scottish public perception to any football matter.

When was the last time you managed to see any Scottish game live? And anyone who goes to live games knows watching on the tele you see so little of the actual substance of the game.

You come on and give your ignorant perception of any incidents. Basically trying to start arguments, no facts or semi balanced arguments, just total bias.

But I know nothing will change you, so I wont bother even trying to have a decent discussion with you. You made your real colours clear a few months ago.

Just glad you aren't in the same country as us, we have enough cretins as it is.

Firstly.....I'm sitting in Scotland just now my friend......

Secondly... I only left the country about 6 months ago.

and thirdly I dont give toooooo ****s what your (or any of your green pals for that matter) opinion of me is icon_cool.gif

Anyway back to the challenge for another trophy.

Tomorrow's game against Plastic Whistle will see a number of players rested. Who do we all want to see get a shot?

I'd go with

Alexander

Papac

Cuellar

Broadfoot

Whittaker

Adam

Thomson

Davis

Novo

Boyd

Naismith

Gives Weir a long needed rest. Also McGregor and JCD to get him ready for the Celtic game at the end of the month.

Boyd will be on cloud 9 and will/should bag a couple.

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Are Webster and Smith fit? If so I'd be tempted to let them both have a game or at least 30mins or so in the 2nd half to get back in on the action.

They have both played a couple of reserve games, but SMith has also missed out on a reserve game because of the pitch. The club didnt want to risk him so he cant really be that close to a first team game.

Lovenkrands, The only reason i'd leave McGregor out is because of the last two games we've been through and Alexander would come in and do a good job.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Are Webster and Smith fit? If so I'd be tempted to let them both have a game or at least 30mins or so in the 2nd half to get back in on the action.

They have both played a couple of reserve games, but SMith has also missed out on a reserve game because of the pitch. The club didnt want to risk him so he cant really be that close to a first team game.

Lovenkrands, The only reason i'd leave McGregor out is because of the last two games we've been through and Alexander would come in and do a good job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not questioning Alexanders ability. He's a top keeper but it's a big game tonight, i'd go with McGregor because I know if I was in his shoes I'd wanna play every match, especially after his last 2 performances.

Archived