The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Ter:

I see Walter hasn't appealed his two match ban so will be banned from the Celtic and Dundee Utd matches.

Must have a lot of faith in Coisty and Macdowall then (which is a good thing, given that I fully expect McCoist & Durrant to take over from him eventually). Either that or old age is getting to him and he completely forgot about it.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're a bit niave thinking McCoist will actually be in charge. Considering Smith sits in the stand for a decent proportion of the game anyway not much will change. He'll just send his decisions down instead of walking down.

And what about half time team talks, and before the game? Subliminal messages from Walter?

Sure he'll probably say something before the half time whistle on what he thinks should happen (something I think shouldn't be allowed, if you're banned, you're banned from any interference on match day) but utlimately it's the rest of them that pick the subs, do the team talks etc.

• SI Staff

Fixture update after todays news...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

SAT 22 MAR: Hibernian (H) - SPL

WED 26 MAR: INTERNATIONAL - Scotland v Croatia

SAT 29 MAR: Celtic (H) - SPL

THU 03 APR: Sporting Lisbon (H) - UEFA Cup Quarter Final

SUN 06 APR: Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

THU 10 APR: Sporting Lisbon (A) - UEFA Cup Quarter Final

SUN 13 APR: Partick Thistle (A) - Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

WED 16 APR: Celtic (A) - SPL

SAT 19 APR: Split Game 1

SUN 20 APR: St Johnstone (N) - Scottish Cup Semi Final

THU 24 APR: UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SAT 26 APR: Split Game 2

THU 01 MAY: UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SAT 03 MAY: Split Game 3

WED 07 MAY: FREE

SAT 10 MAY: Split Game 4

WED 14 MAY: UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Split Game 5

WED 20 MAY: FREE

SAT 23 MAY: Scottish Cup Final

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) - SPL

Originally posted by Ter:

I see Walter hasn't appealed his two match ban so will be banned from the Celtic and Dundee Utd matches.

knew he'd get nothing from an appeal and doesn't have to keep doing it like a certain individual at another club

thing is, the certain individual knows he'll get his bans halved/quashed because somebody on that committee supports his team

Ah, forgot how good life is with no internet connection and minimal mobile coverage... icon_wink.gif

Managed to see the final on a rather snowy analogue feed on our telly. After the first half, I wished I hadn't bothered but we improved after the break (albeit surviving a strong penalty claim) and if it wasn't got the Polish lad in the Utd goal we would have equalised earlier. We struggled with De Vries (as we always do) all day so despite Utd falling out of the game as an attacking force, it still wasn't too much of a surprise to see us fall behind again.

However, we showed incredible resilience and character to snatch another goal to take the game to pens. McGregor came up trumps yet again and with every performance he's catching Cuellar for our PotY award. Was delighted for Boyd as well. Has struggled to get into the team but he showed that he's a superb poacher and his record really is splendid for someone whose appearances (and form to be fair) are so patchy. Did we deserve the win - well that's debatable as we played so poorly at times - but I'm quite comfortable that the trophy is back at Ibrox and I hope it's the first of 4.. icon_wink.gif

Wednesday saw me sit in the car to get coverage on 810MW for the Partick game (along with random other stuff in the poor signal - including U2 when Partick scored icon_biggrin.gif ) but luckily Boyd again saved us from what would have been a really poor result. Haven't seen any highlights but from I heard I don't think there were many? Certainly a replay isn't what we'd want but at least we're still in the competition.

Think Sporting is a great draw and if we can get a goal or two at home then we have the chance of moving on. Tomorrow will be a huge indication of where we are with the league challenge. Hibs are always a tough prospect and some of our players look like they're running on empty. With so many games coming up it's going to be difficult to achieve consistency of selection and performance. Nonetheless we do have the squad to compete on all fronts so it would be good to see the club bring in Gow, Buffel, Furman, Webster, Smith et al to compliment the existing lads who've not let us down.

Fascinating stuff and I just hope we have enough left in the tank to bring the title home.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

Haven't seen any highlights but from I heard I don't think there were many?

Enough certainly to win the game pretty comfortably, but it was one of those nights where every final ball, every cross and every shot just seemed a bit off centre and we could easily have lost it.

We've struggled a bit for real momentum since the first Bremen game, but I'm sure the importance of our league games has been drilled in to the players and we'll hopefully see some proper focus return tomorrow.

Aye, it did sound as if the final ball and/or finishing was a problem. icon14.gif

Just feel we're riding our luck a wee bit at the moment. Despite the despondency of the other thread, we'll need to play much better than of late if we're to secure the title and/or anything other silverware. The team needs to knuckle down, concentrate on their football and find the quality we have shown for large parts of the season.

If not, the gap we have at the moment won't be anywhere near as big a cushion as we'll need going into the last quarter of the campaign.

Despite the problems of the last 7 years or so we've managed to turn things around a few times during that period. Beating the Pars and winning on Helicopter Sunday will be days we can all remember with smiles. I'd hate to think we'd let them same thing happen in Celtic's favour.

Getting and keeping JCD and Cousin fit has to be a priority. And as much as Ferguson can be criticised, Wednesday once again showed his influence is strong enough to make a difference in many games. I strongly feel that these 3 players will be the key to unlocking the trophy cabinet again this term. McGregor, Cuellar and Davis won't be able to do it without them.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Getting and keeping JCD and Cousin fit

More chance of me winning the Lotto than keeping JCD fit icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably but Sunday showed the effect he has on games for us and even if it's just for an hour, his contribution is usually an important one. The more games he plays in the better.

Cousin is back in training but not sure if he'll make next Saturday. I think we'll need at least one of them to get a positive result. And that's without factoring in tomorrow's difficult game.

For all their decent attributes; Boyd, Novo, Naismith and McCulloch have not really shown a great deal of the consistency and quality required to genuinely suggest they would do enough to win the crucial games.

Still not committed to the thought that we'll win the league yet. Too many tricky ties and inevitable twists to come to have as much confidence as some atm. The split particularly makes things tough because you know your last five games are against decent sides and, with the pressure and fatigue, anything can happen.

Not that I think they're any better than us, other than perhaps two standout players and a bucketful of hype, they're really not, but these things can hinge on the most arbitrary of things.

Originally posted by McD:

Still not committed to the thought that we'll win the league yet. Too many tricky ties and inevitable twists to come to have as much confidence as some atm. The split particularly makes things tough because you know your last five games are against decent sides and, with the pressure and fatigue, anything can happen.

Not that I think they're any better than us, other than perhaps two standout players and a bucketful of hype, they're really not, but these things can hinge on the most arbitrary of things.

Amen.

I like the way Walter has tried to play everything down as often as he can. We do have an advantage but Utd and Aberdeen have shown in the last couple of weeks that both Rangers and Celtic can drop points home or away.

The Old Firm have both been as good/bad as each other recently. Despite our cushion it's anyone's title IMO.

We most certainly can be the winners but it's far from over.

It will all come down to the attitude of the players and their will to win - with a bit of luck thrown in. I have no fears for the team against the likes of Celtic and Sporting, because they are big games and if you cannot lift yourself for them then you have no right wearing a Rangers jersey. However, as was proven against Partick, it's often very difficult during such a run to get hyped up for the matches that you are percieved to be able to win easily.

The League is far from over, there is far too much water to flow under the bridge between now and then, but I fully believe that IF the players really want this title they will take it. The Cups are different matter, as one little mistake, one slice of fortune can see you out on your arse. I honestly don't think we have what it takes to win the UEFA Cup, but I would really love us to do so perhaps even more than the League in many ways. Yet at the end of the day, the UEFA Cup is simply icing on the cake and we haven't got the cake yet so overall I will take winning the League and the other two cups we'll take as they come.

This squad of players is a hell of a long way from being anywhere near a great side, but they do nevertheless have a chance to be up there with the greats and it will all come down in the end to whether or not they really want that glory. Tiredness should not enter the equation from here on in, because every match is a Cup Final and the players will be relying purely on their own desires to succeed. If they don't win any of the three remaining trophies on offer, they will only have themselves to blame. No excuses.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

It will all come down to the attitude of the players and their will to win - with a bit of luck thrown in. I have no fears for the team against the likes of Celtic and Sporting, because they are big games and if you cannot lift yourself for them then you have no right wearing a Rangers jersey. However, as was proven against Partick, it's often very difficult during such a run to get hyped up for the matches that you are percieved to be able to win easily.

The League is far from over, there is far too much water to flow under the bridge between now and then, but I fully believe that IF the players really want this title they will take it. The Cups are different matter, as one little mistake, one slice of fortune can see you out on your arse. I honestly don't think we have what it takes to win the UEFA Cup, but I would really love us to do so perhaps even more than the League in many ways. Yet at the end of the day, the UEFA Cup is simply icing on the cake and we haven't got the cake yet so overall I will take winning the League and the other two cups we'll take as they come.

This squad of players is a hell of a long way from being anywhere near a great side, but they do nevertheless have a chance to be up there with the greats and it will all come down in the end to whether or not they really want that glory. Tiredness should not enter the equation from here on in, because every match is a Cup Final and the players will be relying purely on their own desires to succeed. If they don't win any of the three remaining trophies on offer, they will only have themselves to blame. No excuses.

Fine post icon14.gif

I agree particularly with the no-excuses part. Tiredness and injuries play their part of course. As do officiating mistakes and whatever.

However, we have enough depth, experience and quality to win without complaining about the number of games or bookings/pens/offsides we should/should not have received.

If we win the SPL - we deserve all the plaudits. However, that should be tempered with realism about our overall quality.

If we don't win the SPL - we deserve criticism. However, I will temper that with taking into account all factors.

In many ways, while I am desperate to win more this season, I'm trying my best to focus on the positives while hoping that we can build on these for an even better challenge next season. Winning or losing the league shouldn't change that vision and ambition for the custodians at the club.

What about that rhat Liewell today saying that he opposes a delay to the end of the season.

"Clearly, an extension is something which we would be strongly opposed to," he said.

"Thankfully, it seems the integrity of the league will not be threatened."

bbc

Only reason he objects to it going longer is bacuse it would make it "easier" on us.

One thing that cant be helped is the fixture carry on that has happened this season. So he'd probably be better keeping that mouth of his shut and getting on with his job.

He's kind of like what Murray was like a number of years ago for us. Would say things to keep the baying mob back.

What do you see wrong with what hes said?

Obviously we want you to have to play your games in the same time frame as everyone else and it would be unfair to allow more time to fulfill your fixtures.

Their have been a few clubs this season forced to play 3 games in a week with cup game congestion so it shouldn't be differant for you. Especially considering the congestion is partly your fault, if the Gretna game went ahead as planned their would be enough space for all your current fixtures.

We had the same kind of thing back in our Seville season, wasnt pleasent but we still had to play the games on time. One of the worse was an early sunday start at Ibrox after the away leg vs Boavista just a few days earlier.

Can't find the line up for the 1992-93 League Cup Final, but the line up for the Scottish Cup Final that year was:

Andy Goram; John Brown, Richard Gough, Dave McPherson, David Robertson; Stuart McCall, Ian Ferguson, Ian Durrant, Neil Murray; Peter Huistra, Mark Hatelely Subs: Steven Pressley, Gary McSwegan

2008 League Cup Final line up:

Alan McGregor; Kirk Broadfoot, Carlos Cuellar, Davie Weir, Sasa Papac; Brahim Hemdani, Christian Dailly, Barry Ferguson, Steve Davis, Chris Burke; Lee McCulloch Subs: Boyd, Darcheville, Whittaker, Alexander, Thomson.

A team that was at the peak of it's time, a team that is just starting out really. As great at the 1993 team was - McCoist was injured for that final iirc - there are still players in there that personally I wouldn't rate.

Probably put in Carlos for McPherson, and tbh thats it.

Interesting stats btw, Walter Smiths League Cup win makes him the second most successful Rangers manager in terms of trophies won, with 16 all in now. Some way to go to catch Bill Struth mind icon_wink.gif If he wins the League, he will pass William Winton's total of eight titles and move into second place there.

Also, just as an aside, Alex McLeish for all his detractors and lack of cash actually won as many trophies as the cash laden Graeme Souness.

Originally posted by Anton:

What do you see wrong with what hes said?

Obviously we want you to have to play your games in the same time frame as everyone else and it would be unfair to allow more time to fulfill your fixtures.

Their have been a few clubs this season forced to play 3 games in a week with cup game congestion so it shouldn't be differant for you. Especially considering the congestion is partly your fault, if the Gretna game went ahead as planned their would be enough space for all your current fixtures.

We had the same kind of thing back in our Seville season, wasnt pleasent but we still had to play the games on time. One of the worse was an early sunday start at Ibrox after the away leg vs Boavista just a few days earlier.

Have we as a club at any time asked for any sort of delay that he's talking about?. When that happens he can then come out and object to it.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

The congestion has been caused by many things, not just us asking for one game to be put back.

We've had the Scotland thing, the PO'D thing and then the bad weather. So to even consider blaming us alone is rubbish.

Need to read my posts clearer! I said partly your fault.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Of course if Celtic were in our situation they would be whining their faces off for an extension and claiming a 'conspiracy' if it didn't happen. icon_rolleyes.gif

Seville season says hi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no fixture backlog that season so erm, bye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

The congestion has been caused by many things, not just us asking for one game to be put back.

We've had the Scotland thing, the PO'D thing and then the bad weather. So to even consider blaming us alone is rubbish.

Need to read my posts clearer! I said partly your fault. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are many reasons this situation has arisen, doesnt matter who, what where and when Liewell has no right opening his fat gob about a situation that in a way has nothing to do with him.

The situation will play out as it should and that should be that. Would he object where he in our position?

I think not.

An i'd guarantee also that we as a club wouldnt be in the press moaning if the shoe was on the other foot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Of course if Celtic were in our situation they would be whining their faces off for an extension and claiming a 'conspiracy' if it didn't happen. icon_rolleyes.gif

Seville season says hi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no fixture backlog that season so erm, bye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, they purely wanted a fixture put back to give them a rest. They didn't have other fixtures to fit in.

Say a lie often enough and all that Peace.

Liewell icon_biggrin.gif

And tbf, if it was us, i'd say season extention would be the very last resort. I'd say if there's enough room to fit in all the games, even if it is a bit tight, then fit them in to stop the season running over. If there was no reasonable room to fit in the games, then yes, extend the season.

Fully expect someone to go "aw naw, you'd say extend the season anyway" but in all honesty, you can go and fuuck off.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Liewell icon_biggrin.gif

And tbf, if it was us, i'd say season extention would be the very last resort. I'd say if there's enough room to fit in all the games, even if it is a bit tight, then fit them in to stop the season running over. If there was no reasonable room to fit in the games, then yes, extend the season.

Fully expect someone to go "aw naw, you'd say extend the season anyway" but in all honesty, you can go and fuuck off.

Thats the thing, there is room to fit the games in, there hasnt even been a quip from Rangers about extending the season.

So thats why yer man should keep it shut.

Unless of course he's starting to feel the heat along with Strachan.

Guest sav112

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Rangers supporting family were shopping in the Bob-Accord centre, and ended up in a sports shop. Little Tom suddenly puts on an Aberdeen shirt and says to his sister, "Look, I'm a Don!".

His sister slaps him across the face and orders him to show their mum. He wanders over to his mum and says, "Maw, look, I'm a Don".

His mother also slaps him across the face, and orders him to show his dad. He finds his dad and says, "Da', da', I'm a Don". His dad looks at him and them he also slaps him across the face.

On their way home in the car, the family turn to him and say, "Well we hope you've learned something today" to which Little Joey replies,

"Yeah, I've only been a Don for two minutes and I already hate you Rangers ba****ds!"

It's great to know you still worry about what we would do and think in your situations, lets us know we arent quite as inferior as you would desperately believe. icon_smile.gif

See you next season.

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

It's great to know you still worry about what we would do and think in your situations, lets us know we arent quite as inferior as you would desperately believe. icon_smile.gif

See you next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whose worrying. It's quite easy to know how you would react, only need to see the crap you post in your own thread.

Good to see you're still pretending to have given up on the title.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

See you next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whose worrying. It's quite easy to know how you would react, only need to see the crap you post in your own thread.

Good to see you're still pretending to have given up on the title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont tell me what I have and havent done you pretentious fool.

your views on rangers are very lebvel-headed but your views on celtic are very unfounded and rather annoying. Get your facts right.

Rattles out of prams now eh. Very predictable. And thanks, but I'm quite happy with my facts being 100% correct.

Its hard to realise when you are on the windup now. Your real posts are starting to sound like this too icon_biggrin.gif

Archived