The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another shocking game so far here, why the hell do we continue to play 4-5-1 at home in the SPL icon_mad.gif

Boyd is the man in form, McCulloch is not a striker, play Boyd and JCD upfront in a 4-4-2

been playing absolutely pish, but one chance - one goal, can't be unhappy with that

sort of hoped we'd have maybe been the same till HT though as it might have got the 2 upfront. Walter won't change this now icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

Rumours that Rangers have bought the 2500 tickets we're entitled to for the Sporting Lisbon match and are going to give them for free to people in the travel club icon14.gif

Originally posted by Anton:

What do you see wrong with what hes said?

Aside from the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with him or his club?

Look at the fixture list Ter has put up. There is no way we can fulfill our fixtures before the end of the season if we get by Sporting, unless we start having a ridiculous run of fixtures towards the end of the season. 3 games a week is one thing, but we're going to end up in the situation where we're playing 4 or 5 games a week if we keep progressing, which is simply ridiculous.

None of the fixtures we have outstanding are our fault - the St Mirren game was postponed to do the national side a favour, then rained off, the Celtic game was cancelled because Celtic requested it, and the Motherwell game was moved because it clashed with a cup final.

Were better today, was always going to be tight, but we deserved the win and there was a zip about our play that's been missing the last couple of weeks. We can be impressively direct, no matter how slack our play is at times or how well the opposition are playing, you feel there's always goals in our side from somewhere. It's a big advantage.

Ignore Lawell. Just the usual snide, bully-boy one-upmanship that we've come to expect from him and won't alter a thing. Should be concentrating on his own club's faltering season.

Missing Kev badly, but it looks like Anton and Stan have stepped up to the plate and are keeping that particular flame burning.

Is there any FIFA/UEFA/whoever regulations that say what time period there has to be between matches played?

If there is, then they should be followed, even if it is something ridiculous like a game every 2 days. If they can't be fit in, then by all means extend the season.

Just hope that if this situation arises with an non OF side in another season, that they'll be allowed the same.

Originally posted by Ter:

Rumours that Rangers have bought the 2500 tickets we're entitled to for the Sporting Lisbon match and are going to give them for free to people in the travel club icon14.gif

Apparently true. Season ticket prices will also be frozen or reduced as well. So nothing major then but positive enough stuff nonetheless.

At last the club appears to be treating the fans with some sort of respect. Let's hope there is more good news in the near future in that regard.

Onto today's game. We started slowly but went on to play pretty well actually. A bit nervous near the end as we switched off for Shiels' goal but generally we were always in control and Hibs didn't really do much of note.

An important three points and now set's up net Saturday as a huge game in terms of title destination.

Not sure if they've been picked for their squads, but in the Celtic team anyway: Vennegoor, Samaras even if he's on loan, Boruc, maybe Hinkel, maybe Sno, thought i doubt it.

Then maybe Cuellar from Rangers, though i wouldn't bet on it, then probably Niculae for Romania.

From that point of view, can see where Lawell's coming from.

I reckon you'll be wrong jimbo, and i think apart from Cuellar, Sno and maybe Hinkel, i'll be correct-ish.

Actually, no, Niculae hasn;t been called up recently.

So probably just Boruc, JVoH, Samaras. Maybe Hinkel and Sno.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Nah, he hasn't. Think it was because he hadn't played that much for Sevilla.

He'll be hoping that more exposure from playing for us will get him back in.

Not exactly set the heather on fire over here as they say. He may get back in the squad in the next year or so, i'd be surprised if he makes it for the Euro's though.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

You could probably have Koovermans and Babel in front of him too.

I'd have Kluivert and Mols ahead of JVoH too. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just going by the squad list that they have on the Euro website and JvoH is there but he's played on 44 mins of the qualifiers and has played less than any forward there.

So going by that he'll be lucky to make it.

Ter on the ball as usual icon14.gif

Gers chief in free ticket move

DAVID MURRAY has snapped up all 2,500 Rangers tickets for the UEFA Cup away leg against Sporting Lisbon for £50,000 and will dish them out free to selected fans.

He’s also vowed to give Walter Smith a £10m summer transfer kitty.

The Ibrox chairman, below, said he wanted to give something to regular travelling fans for their support in a marathon season. He said: “The more you read about soccer up and down the country it’s becoming apparent it’s too expensive for families and we are in a far stronger financial position now.

“Yes, it’s about making a profit and we will make a healthy profit this year. We will invest heavily on players again in the summer.

“I felt our supporters have travelled more than any other club’s as we are going for our eighth game away in Europe and it is very expensive.

“They have not let us down in that sense and I just think it is a gesture that was due. It’s innovative and it’s a big thank you to them.

“As far as the fans’ behaviour is concerned we’ve still got a bit to go but there has been a big improvement. It’s been a hard process we’ve gone through to change the image and change the behaviour.

“But it’s working and perhaps this is another way to say a big thank you to them. I think it’s been a marvellous season. It’s already been very eventful and the management team has done a tremendous job, as have the new players. It is obvious we are going to strengthen and make resources available to Walter in the summer.â€

In order to keep Rangers’ stock rising, Murray pledged to back Smith with hard cash this summer as he promised a bumper war chest to attract top-line signings.

He said: “There was several millions of pounds available to Walter in January but he chose not to spend it.

“The cynics questioned the wisdom of bringing in Christian Dailly and Steve Davis but they have proved to be good additions to the squad. But this is only a small step on the journey to get back to where we believe we should be.

“We’ve got a long way to go but we have been doing the business at home. At times, we have had to be defensive away from home in Europe and we’ve been unfairly criticised for that.

“It’s not the way we want it to be but for God’s sake, we were losing to St Johnstone and Dunfermline this time last year, so it’s been a remarkable turnaround.

“I think this will prove to be a memorable season in terms of turning our fortunes around. I believe we’ve done the right thing by bringing in some solid performers and you can’t buy Walter’s experience. Now we have to use that experience wisely.

“He revised Scotland’s fortunes, now he’s come back here and done the same for us. We have a plan which we’re putting together for the summer in terms of new signings. We don’t need to bring in players to build up the squad, we’re looking at quality.â€

Murray also announced plans to slash more than £700,000 off fans’ season ticket prices for next season in a bid to attract more kids.

He remained cautious about saying too much about his plans for a new look Ibrox, with a reputed £700million development part of his vision for the club.

He said: “There has been a lot of cynicism about our plans but they have good intentions and a good base to them.

“We are at a very advanced stage of our proposals. We will shortly be submitting an outline planning application, followed by a detailed planning application.

“It’s a very big development and I would hope to have gone public on it by the beginning of May. A much bigger capacity is one of the options. My reputation is on the line so I want to deliver.â€

All good news then, although I'm not sure how much quality £10m will buy us these days.

Don't see where he says £10 million, may be me missing it though as I've only just got up.

Assuming we will sign Davis for the reported £3mill in this summer and that a few players will move on. Could be interesting.

Archived