The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Don't see where he says £10 million, may be me missing it though as I've only just got up.

Assuming we will sign Davis for the reported £3mill in this summer and that a few players will move on. Could be interesting.

I can't ever recall David Murray telling the press how much is available for transfers. He's not that sort of person.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was hoping the news would be a bit bigger than that, but can't complain really. Especially when you think about where we were just over a year ago.

Provided we keep our key members on the books and keep adding with consistant CL group stage qualifactions, then the future will be very bright for Rangers.

I have to say, I really wasn't keen on Walter coming back and I have been critical of him. So far though he's making me eat my words on that subject so long may it continue. icon14.gif

I thought bringing Walter back would be a huge risk. I love the guy, he's a true gentleman in a game that seriously lacks them and he is without doubt one of the greatest servants the club has ever had. My reservations were too fold, that he would fail because turning the clock back is a risk, and that he would ruin his reputation.

I don't always like his current style of play. In Europe sure, especially away from home but I still think he needs to be more confident and positive at home. I understand though his thinking, he had a brilliant team last time he was here but apart from one glorious season, his Euro campaigns were a joke and I think he felt he needed to be a lot more negative with this current squad who if we're being honest have nowhere near the talent of Walter's previous squads.

Nevertheless, so far he has done well but this season will be judged on the result of the next Old Firm game of that I am sure. If we win, it's game over, if we lose then it's game back on and the balance swings the other way. I personally think whoever wins on Saturday will win the title. But even if he doesn't bring the title back, even if he doesn't win either of the other two cups, he and his team have made us proud of them again this season and we have something now to build on and next season the title will be a stroll in the park icon_wink.gif

Great to see KT back at his snappy best yesterday making some of the most sublime tackles a player can make.

Steve Davis continues to impress, we MUST secure a deal for him now.

Things looking good for this season and next providing wattie can pull a few great signings out of the bag, if this second stint at rangers is anything to go buy he has done not bad in the tranfer market already. Cuellar, KT and Davie Weir have been FB icon14.gif

We just need a creative spark in our team to compliment the unit and we'll be a real problem for teams and not just hard to break down.

• SI Staff
Great to see KT back at his snappy best yesterday making some of the most sublime tackles a player can make.

It's just a shame he's due a ban if he picks up another booking (I think)

• SI Staff

We've pulled Dailly, Ferguson and McCulloch out of the Scotland squad. McGregor and Boyd are still there, Davis is with NI, Sasa is with Bosnia, Brahim is with Algeria and (believe it or not) Buffel is with the Belgium squad.

Don't think Burley will be too chuffed but we've got a title challenge on our hands. He better not try and call up Thomson now icon_biggrin.gif

stupid time of the season to arrange a friendly anyway, the Rangers V Celtic game at Ibrox on March 29th has been there all season on the fixtures list - surely they must have thought "hmm, wonder if Rangers/Celtic will be withdrawing players there"?

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Steve Davis continues to impress, we MUST secure a deal for him now.

Things looking good for this season and next providing wattie can pull a few great signings out of the bag, if this second stint at rangers is anything to go buy he has done not bad in the tranfer market already. Cuellar, KT and Davie Weir have been FB icon14.gif

We just need a creative spark in our team to compliment the unit and we'll be a real problem for teams and not just hard to break down.

Agree with that.

Thomson before his injury was playing very well and resumed that kind of form on Saturday. Surprised he's not been named in the Scotland squad based on his form this season but I guess his injury will have affected that decision. Would have been handy for us for him to get another 45 mins in midweek. icon_wink.gif

A creative player is certainly required - maybe even two. Ferguson has been below par for far too long now, Davis doesn't really do his best work further forward (he's more like a younger Fergie) and the likes of Burke, Beasley and McCulloch are all too inconsistent to rely on to provide genuine quality.

This kind of player won't be cheap but if we're spending around £10million again, then we should be looking to go for at least £3-4million on such a player - gamble or not.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Beasley will come in and do a great job next season. Big loss for us when he got injured.

Not sure about that if I'm being honest. I thought he was quite inconsistent and while we have missed the mobility and creativity he offered I'll have to reserve judgement on his overall impact for a wee while yet.

Beasley though certainly offers a lot more than Charlie Adam ever will. Was interesting in the comments Murray made, he said that there probably wouldn't be as many new signings in the summer but there would be better quality. Ok we've heard it all before from him and I'll wait and see, but lets hope Walter really does have the couple of Laudrup/Gascoignes we need to spark the team into life and as long as we also maintain the solid team spirit I'll be happy.

Old Firm games are never easy to call, no matter the state of play but I have a feeling we won't lose on Saturday. Actually I think we'll win, but I don't like being positive icon_wink.gif

Beasley will come in and do a great job next season. Big loss for us when he got injured.

Actually forgot about him to be honest, he'll be like a new signing again next season. He's still got a bit to prove bit he has had some promising spurts to show he is worth keeping.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I see John Cushley, ex Celtic player and Celtic's former Education Director has died.

Can we now expect this Saturday's game to be postponed?

Seriously what were you thinking? Thats not even remotly funny, utter utter cretin.

Hope Ter gets on soon and gets that deleted.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I see John Cushley, ex Celtic player and Celtic's former Education Director has died.

Seriously what were you thinking? Thats not even remotly funny, utter utter cretin.

Hope Ter gets on soon and gets that deleted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

its the guys opinion.

I find it offensive the amount of times a lot of you have a go at the integrity of the ref's in the celtic thread.

Can we get those deleted?

Originally posted by Anton:

Its not an opinion at all, its just a stupid remark. I'm sure when he gets on today he'll admit as much.

Not even going to attempt to argue about it, seriously just think what you are saying.

I'm not getting into an arguement over it.

Don't think so mate as thier fixture list has cleared up and ours has got worse thier perspective seems to have changed somewhat.

Not to mention that extending the season wouldn't be fair on thier supporters (because its been one to forget?)

Not to mention that extending the season wouldn't be fair on thier supporters (because its been one to forget?)

Perhaps the fear is that by the time we reach May their attendance will have reached absolute zero?

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

comparing that to someones death ffs

its obvious you have the same opinion as him, at least hes brave enough to say it

I made my opinion known at the time, and I aint getting into it again. I wouldn't say how I felt because its guaranteed to have a number of you with your knickers in a twist.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Perhaps the fear is that by the time we reach May their attendance will have reached absolute zero? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, When a junior football cup quarter final game can get a better attendance than a celtic SPL game you know you have a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Perhaps the fear is that by the time we reach May their attendance will have reached absolute zero? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, When a junior football cup quarter final game can get a better attendance than a celtic SPL game you know you have a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awful lot of nonsense spoken by people who do not know what they are talking about.

Celtic were only offered 2500 tickets, no more were made available. At least 300 people were also locked out because no pay gate was made available so try finding out things before having a cheap dig.

And speaking of cheap digs, GingerFurball was completely out of order and to be fair I suspect he will admit it when he returns and reads his post, it was unfortunate and I suspect unintentionally crass. icon13.gif

I also think few complaints should be made about fixtures being called off after your own Gretna/Lyon debacle.

Originally posted by FrankJJ:

I also think few complaints should be made about fixtures being called off after your own Gretna/Lyon debacle.

Wasn't happy about it at the time, but the Gretna call off has nothing to do with our current fixture pile up - that game was rescheduled and played in January.

Games outstanding - St Mirren (A), called off at the SFA's request, rescheduled fixture was rained off.

Celtic (A) - called off at the request of Celtic after the death of Phil O'Donnell

Motherwell (A) - postponed after we reached the CIS Cup Final. (also worth noting that the fixture would have been cancelled anyway due to Fir Park currently being unplayable)

The current fixture pile up is not of our own making - and if we're successful in the next 2 Old Firm games, I suspect all the nonsense about "compromising the integrity" of the league we've been hearing in the last few days will be quietly forgotten about.

and if we're successful in the next 2 Old Firm games, I suspect all the nonsense about "compromising the integrity" of the league we've been hearing in the last few days will be quietly forgotten about.

Yeah because then all we'll be hearing about is the integrity of refs. Nothing new there though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Wasn't happy about it at the time, but the Gretna call off has nothing to do with our current fixture pile up - that game was rescheduled and played in January.

Games outstanding - St Mirren (A), called off at the SFA's request, rescheduled fixture was rained off.

Celtic (A) - called off at the request of Celtic after the death of Phil O'Donnell

Motherwell (A) - postponed after we reached the CIS Cup Final. (also worth noting that the fixture would have been cancelled anyway due to Fir Park currently being unplayable)

The current fixture pile up is not of our own making - and if we're successful in the next 2 Old Firm games, I suspect all the nonsense about "compromising the integrity" of the league we've been hearing in the last few days will be quietly forgotten about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont let fact's get in the way of a good conspiracy GF.

Much like the SFA, Uefa, others are out to get you? icon_biggrin.gif

The point about the Gretna call off was completely missed, you asked for a postponement, fair enough, then made a complete pigs ear of the advantage against Lyon.

I don't think the season should be extended, I didn't think it should have been when Celtic got to the Uefa final and it rightly wasn't, it's just a harsh reality of performing well in multiple competitions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Much like the SFA, Uefa, others are out to get you? icon_biggrin.gif

The point about the Gretna call off was completely missed, you asked for a postponement, fair enough, then made a complete pigs ear of the advantage against Lyon.

I don't think the season should be extended, I didn't think it should have been when Celtic got to the Uefa final and it rightly wasn't, it's just a harsh reality of performing well in multiple competitions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting the postponement didnt mean that we were going to win, it gave the guys a chance to get a little rest....

When you got to the final your fixture problems werent anywhere near ours.

Do you think the sporting integrity (as its the in word at the moment) is kept if it ends up we play 4 games in 8 day?

Personally I dont care as I believe that we'll win the treble at least so its neither here nor there for me.

I don't think the season should be extended, I didn't think it should have been when Celtic got to the Uefa final and it rightly wasn't, it's just a harsh reality of performing well in multiple competitions.

This season has no parallels to the Seville season - Celtic were not suffering from a massive backlog of fixtures, you simply had to play Saturday/Thursday/Sunday a couple of times late in the season.

Look at Ter's fixture posts - if we get past Sporting Lisbon, there simply aren't enough free midweeks left in the season to fulfill all our fixtures, unless we either extend the season or have to play Saturday/Monday/Thursday/Sunday for a couple of weeks. The only reason Motherwell aren't facing the same problems as us is because they don't have any European involvement.

If the league was "over" (ie we were 12-15 points ahead of/behind Celtic) then I don't think there would be anything like the controversy that this issue seems to have caused, as playing a couple of games a week or so later would have no possible bearing on the league title.

I have one other point to make, but it needs researched first.

There is a precedent set for the extension of the season.

In 1978/79, Celtic clinched the league with a 4-2 victory over Rangers at Parkhead. This was their 36th, and last game of the season.

Rangers still had 2 fixtures to complete after that game - at home to Partick Thistle and away to Hibernian - had they beaten Celtic they would have known exactly what they needed to do to win the league.

How did this turn of events come? Largely due to a combination of games being postponed in January, and an excessive number of cup replays (the cup final had to be replayed twice, the second replay taking place 16 days after the initial final). Sound familiar?

There is a precedent set for the extension of the season.

In 1978/79, Celtic clinched the league with a 4-2 victory over Rangers at Parkhead. This was their 36th, and last game of the season.

Rangers still had 2 fixtures to complete after that game - at home to Partick Thistle and away to Hibernian - had they beaten Celtic they would have known exactly what they needed to do to win the league.

How did this turn of events come? Largely due to a combination of games being postponed in January, and an excessive number of cup replays (the cup final had to be replayed twice, the second replay taking place 16 days after the initial final). Sound familiar?

Yup I remember it well, we were still finishing our league season after the Cup Final. Although that is not a season I want to remember as Celtic stole the league.

John Grieg's first season in charge btw, also got the Champions Cup QF's and were unlucky to lose to Koln after the 2nd leg was originally postponed due to snow. Had the match been played on the original date, I believe we would have won and would almost certainly have won the tournament that season as the finalists were Malmo/Nottm Forest ffs. If Colin Jackson hadn't put the ball in his own net in the 4-2 game then who knows, and how history would have been changed if Grieg had started with a treble.

Anyway, back to reality....

• SI Staff
They also state (though as a rumor) that Celtic are trying to organise a post-season tour of Japan to prevent the SPL extending the season to help ease fixture congestion.

Celtic have had a tour of Japan planned at the end of the season for ages.

Archived