The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

I think we might have to play on the extra date between the league finishing and the cup final anyway, unless some dates free up because we go out of Europe / Scottish Cup.

Here is the latest, with some post split fixture guesses!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>SAT 29 MAR: Celtic (H) - SPL

THU 03 APR: Sporting Lisbon (H) – UEFA Cup

SUN 06 APR: Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

THU 10 APR: Sporting Lisbon (A) – UEFA Cup

SUN 13 APR: Partick Thistle (A) – Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

WED 16 APR: Celtic (A) - SPL

SAT 19 APR: Split Game 1 – Motherwell (H) – SPL (Will be postponed if we defeat Partick Thistle)

SUN 20 APR: St Johnstone (N) – Scottish Cup Semi Final

THU 24 APR: PSV/Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SAT 26 APR: Split Game 2 - Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: PSV/Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SAT 03 MAY: Split Game 3 – Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: FREE

SAT 10 MAY: Split Game 4 – Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Split Game 5 – Falkirk / Aberdeen / Hearts (A) - SPL

WED 21 MAY: FREE

SAT 23 MAY: Scottish Cup Final

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

Post Split Fixtures (Unconfirmed Venues)

Motherwell (H)

Celtic (A)

Dundee Utd (H)

Hibernian (A)

Falkirk / Aberdeen / Hearts (A)

• SI Staff

Oh No! You are going to have to play an SPL match on a Sunday after playing a UEFA Cup match on the Thursday. God forbid. That has never happened before!

• SI Staff

We've made an approach for Ivan Klasnic according to the man himself. Celtic (There's a shock) and a couple of German teams are also interested.

Wages could be a problem as he's on near £30k at Werder Bremen and unless he takes a pay-cut would be our highest earner. Also unsure about his injury status as well. Probably worth a gamble though as he's not going to be on a bosman.

Originally posted by Ter:

Wages could be a problem as he's on near £30k at Werder Bremen and unless he takes a pay-cut would be our highest earner. Also unsure about his injury status as well. Probably worth a gamble though as he's not going to be on a bosman.

Worth a gamble as not on Bosman? I assume you mean on?

Originally posted by Ter:

We've made an approach for Ivan Klasnic according to the man himself. Celtic (There's a shock) and a couple of German teams are also interested.

Surprised Bolton arent one of the interested teams also.

For what its worth, I'd be chuffed if we got him, he'd be on a big wage but being a Bosman means that we could get him. Would be a signing to take us in the right direction. Plus it could also mean that Miller wont be signed.

Klasnic would be good, classy player. Hopefully this summer's money can be devoted to just two or three signings of real quality and pedigree rather than the filling out of the squad we saw last year. Would still like to see us move for Ivanschitz, noticed he scored one and set up two against the Dutch last night.

Anyone else just itching with impatience for Saturday to come? It's been far too long since the last OF game and this one is pretty massive. Tomorrow's going to be a drag. Annoying.

Feel pretty confident we'll get at least a draw, although that's waned a bit as the week's drawn on. They're still a good side, a very good side on their day, despite their troubles, and Saturday will be more a do-or-die kind of game for them than for us. Hm.

To be honest I've not seen a great amount of the Croatian lad so can't really comment. I also can't see us breaking our £25K p/w wage structure to accommodate anyone - Bosman or not. I do agree though that we need 2 or 3 quality players with the alleged £10million we have - although it doesn't always cost serious money for quality (see Cuellar).

As for Saturday's game well the butterflies are well and truly kicking in now. It's anyone's game and anyone's league still at this stage. However, if we can get a win then we'd have to become strong favorites to win the title. A draw wouldn't be so good but as long as we're not beaten, a 3 point gap (+ 1 game) is a handy lead ahead of two more OF games at Celtic Park.

I think our team is pretty much certain to be the same as the one that started against Hibs. I'd love to have seen Cousin play but a fit JCD offers skill, strength and pace which could be just as handy as Cousin's slightly more physical style. Both teams have hardly been superb lately but we all know form usually goes out of the window for these games anyway. Impossible to predict anything other than a hectic game full of incident, goals and controversy.

At least we'll have the officials on our side which should help....

Originally posted by Frankie:

I think our team is pretty much certain to be the same as the one that started against Hibs.

Probably, but I'd personally sacrifice Dailly and stick Novo out on the right. Side would have more balance and pace.

Hmmmm, I'd like to see Novo play as well as he usually does pretty well in these games. I certainly wouldn't be averse to him playing on the left instead of McCulloch. The big man hasn't been too hot lately but he's one player (along with Thomson) who can provide a more physical edge when required.

As for dropping Dailly, I doubt that will happen. He may play right back but most probably we'll stick with the 4-5-1 with him covering the defence as usual. I think Davis does offer more centrally but he'll be useful on the right again this weekend to help Broadfoot (or Dailly) contain McGeady.

Problem we have is that we don't need to take risks. As such, Smith will be cautious as usual, try to win the midfield battle and hope we take our chances when he get them. Everything points to the usual solid set-up but he may spring a surprise.

One thing is for sure is we'll need to play much better than we have lately to get a positive result. We were half-decent against Hibs but improvement is certainly required.

At least we'll have the officials on our side which should help....

And the media. And the SFA. And the national team set up. And er... the chip shop on Sauchiehall Street.

Rife with hunnery, the lot of them.

I'd like to see this as a line up

McShagger

Papac

Cuellar

Weir

Dailly

Naismith

Thomson

Davis

Ferguson

Novo

JCD

That team would give us the wide players with pace to get at both Naylor and Hinkel, The pace could be used against the two lumbering numpties in the center of defence.

Would also like to see Dailly take over from Broadfoot, although McGeady is over-rated I believe that he could give Broadfoot a few problems.

Papc could deal with Nakamura no problems on the left.

There's a nice balance and range of attributes to that midfield three, yeah. Maybe just lacking a huge amount of of goals. McCulloch tracks back too much and is too handy for attacking and defending set pieces to be dropped for this game. Naismith's time will come in a year or two. Doubt Broadfoot will be dropped, the lad's not done much wrong and Smith is hopefully savvy enough not to knock his confidence like that.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

I'd also add that a midfield three of Thommo, Davis and Ferguson could easily handle anything that Celtic go with.

I would like to see that central midfield but Naismith has struggled when he's played in the deeper, wider roles. Novo is slightly more adept so I'd be more inclined to have him if we go for that type of player.

As for right back, I'm happy enough with Broadfoot's contribution so far to let him continue on Saturday. He does have a wee tendency to dive in but he's also one of our more eager players to get forward so as long as him and Davis work the flank between them, we should be covered enough there.

Also, a nice wee boost earlier with Cousin expecting to be back for Tannadice next week, which in its own way could be as tough a game as Celtic.

Just have this feeling that if we can get three points on Saturday, it'll take a huge amount of pressure off the whole squad and management for the Sporting games and beyond. If that lead's cut by a Celtic win, things just tighten in around us and the situation could get on top of players that have never been in this position before. So much riding on this game!

I think the only other option wide left is McCulloch, pace will get at Celtic more than height. Although I think Smith will go with McCulloch.

Arguably that's true but I'd be very surprised if McCulloch doesn't start there.

Hinkel hasn't looked the type of player to get forward too often in the games I've watched - very much a player still settling into a new club/league - so I don't envisage many gaps behind him anyway for pacier players to exploit. Ergo, McCulloch using his height/physique may be be better bet offensively and defensively.

Originally posted by McD:

Also, a nice wee boost earlier with Cousin expecting to be back for Tannadice next week, which in its own way could be as tough a game as Celtic.

Just have this feeling that if we can get three points on Saturday, it'll take a huge amount of pressure off the whole squad and management for the Sporting games and beyond. If that lead's cut by a Celtic win, things just tighten in around us and the situation could get on top of players that have never been in this position before. So much riding on this game!

Exactly how I see it.

We're likely to have 4 away games after the split so every game will be a hard one with no points guaranteed. As such it's vital we take points at home in the last 3 home games we do have - starting this weekend.

One thing is for sure, the league won't be won/lost on Saturday but it's a huge match in terms of psychology and confidence for the last 7 games. Whiever wins takes the upper hand IMO even if we may still have a game in lieu.

Anyway, I'm away to bed. I doubt I'll sleep much tomorrow night so best try now... icon_frown.gif

I think in many ways Saturdays game is the league decider. Obviously not mathematically, but certainly psychologically. If we win we open a potential nine point gap and I don't think the current Celtic side is anywhere near good enough to claw that back. (Although there is always the possibility we could throw it away.)

If Celtic win, the potential gap is six points with two matches on their patch, a fixture pile up and a psychological blow that I really don't think our players will be able to overcome.

Actually it's interesting that Ginger brought up the 1978-79 season because there are a hell of a lot of parallels with that season in this one - lets just hope for a better outcome.

I'm still fairly confident that we will won't lose.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I think in many ways Saturdays game is the league decider. Obviously not mathematically, but certainly psychologically. If we win we open a potential nine point gap and I don't think the current Celtic side is anywhere near good enough to claw that back. (Although there is always the possibility we could throw it away.)

If Celtic win, the potential gap is three points with two matches on their patch, a fixture pile up and a psychological blow that I really don't think our players will be able to overcome.

Actually it's interesting that Ginger brought up the 1978-79 season because there are a hell of a lot of parallels with that season in this one - lets just hope for a better outcome.

I'm still fairly confident that we will won't lose.

Just a FYP

• SI Staff

Hopefully we'll start with JCD and Novo. We can expose them with pace up front.

I would have much preferred Cousin to start with JCD coming on when they are more tired to run them ragged.

Should be a good game and hopefully one that we'll win.

I woke up this morning thinking it was April 1st ....

EXCLUSIVE: Frenchman want Rangers star Sebo for keeps

By MARK WILSON

Rangers are set to finally sever ties with flop striker Filip Sebo after French club Valenciennes admitted they were desperate to sign the Slovakian on a permanent deal.

Sebo was loaned out by Ibrox manager Walter Smith at the start of the season following a disastrous 12-month spell in Glasgow.

Signed by Paul le Guen for £1.8million from Austria Vienna, the 24-year-old contributed only two goals for Rangers before Smith decided his future lay elsewhere.

Scroll down for more

Loan star: Valenciennes' Filip Sebo celebrates his goal against Bordeaux during their French Ligue 1 match

Read more...

Rangers forward Cousin hoping for Tannadice return

As Celtic and Rangers prepare for battle, will Boruc or McGregor emerge victorious in the campaign to be declared the SPL's No1?

Former Celtic star Hartson knocked back the chance to join Rangers

Rangers target Macca set to stay with Hammers

Sebo has, though, found a new lease of life in France, helping unfashionable Valenciennes climb to ninth place in the top flight.

The club have until the end of April to exercise their option on retaining him beyond the current campaign - for a fee understood to be in the region of £700,000.

Valenciennes coach Antoine Kombouare, who played for Aberdeen in the 1990s, is anxious to tie up an agreement after insisting Sebo had become an integral part of his side.

"I have been very satisfied with Filip and would like to keep him here," said Kombouare last night. "He is only on loan at the moment but I would hope we could make the transfer permanent. We have the option on him through the terms of the loan agreement, so I would hope everything would be smooth in terms of dealing with Rangers.

"It's about speaking to Filip, making sure he is happy here and that everything is right on the financial side."

Sebo has scored five times for Valenciennes, including a goal which helped them defeat Bordeaux last weekend.

"Filip has worked extremely hard for the team," added Kombouare. "I know he did not have an easy time with Rangers but I have no complaints about him at all."

£700k for Sebo?? icon_biggrin.gif take it and run.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

I always thought Sebo was just severly lacking in confidence, and wasn't that bad a player tbf icon_frown.gif

There I was getting excited about the prospect of Klasnic and Sebo playing together next season and my dreams are thwarted already. 700K seems good money for a misfit.

So UEFA to investigate Celtic for discriminatory, chanting according to several sources today?

Confirmed on text now- several videos are being examined and altho it is apparantly only a small number of supporters involved, UEFA are adamant about clamping down on this type of behaviour.

Isnt it ironic that it is always the very small band of idiots on both sides of the OF who can manage to cause all the trouble for the majority.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We have received some footage showing Celtic supporters singing some alleged anti-Queen and pro-IRA songs - sectarian songs," said a UEFA spokesman.

Sounds like more examples of true dignity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the Barca people love the craic.

Deal with it!

Originally posted by FrazT:

Isnt it ironic that it is always the very small band of idiots on both sides of the OF who can manage to cause all the trouble for the majority.

Sure is very disappointing that relatively minor numbers of yobs can make the majority unfairly generalised.

Happens with every club unfortunately so it will be interesting to see how fat this legislation is extended.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Its the way the world works, people would rather focus on the bad, no matter the scale instead of focusing on the good.

Guarentee this will come to nothing.

When I first seen this was being reported I had to check my dates, never the day before an old firm game surely.

Uefa officials compiled a match report about our fans and their was nothing about this then. So I'm wondering where the new videos came from.

Timing and source of the story is irrelevant surely?

What action would you like to see imposed, Anton? Something in line with the Rangers one? Also, should Celtic/UEFA be looking to ban certain songs like Rangers have done to help try and remove any contentious terms from our stadia?

Surely 'guaranteeing' it comes to nothing isn't suitable if we want to remove such problems?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Surely 'guaranteeing' it comes to nothing isn't suitable if we want to remove such problems?

Sweep sweep is the term that springs to mind Frankie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most of us on OTF would agree that Rangers and Celtic have their problems with regard to this subject.

Rangers were first to be punished and thankfully we've acted very positively (although not perfectly) to remove stuff such as FTP and fenian from any songs. Some good progress has been made but much works is to be done with isolated incidents still happening.

Perhaps it will take UEFA to punish Celtic and perhaps ban one of their songs before some of their fans will admit to the same failings and address the very similar problems they still have going by this report and their behaviour across many grounds in Scotland this season.

As we've said consistently in this thread since March 2006, no-one can take the moral highground with regard to this subject. This is now being proven to be the case.

Timing and source of the story is irrelevant surely?

What action would you like to see imposed, Anton? Something in line with the Rangers one? Also, should Celtic/UEFA be looking to ban certain songs like Rangers have done to help try and remove any contentious terms from our stadia?

I dont see what action would be imposed when nothing has been found yet, innocent until proven guilty etc.

And if any action is deemed necessary to be taken then it should be decided on its own merit. Your punishment should not come into it, I hate the way we are always pushed together with you as though we are the same entity. Sooner we drop the old firm nonsense the better.

The celtic fans both home and away have done an excellent job in 'policing' themselves and any songs that anyone could deem offensive are not sung anywhere now. Every bit of video footage is gone over in every detail by the laptop loyal looking for anything that can be deemed offensive so they can run to the media/sfa. And since we have had nothing like this all season its safe to say its worked and we dont need to 'ban' songs that are not being sung.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Even UEFA are in on the 'conspiracy' now, eh Anton.

Short term memory sir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats my short term memory got to do with you bleating that this all a conspiracy on the eve of the Old Firm match. You might want to look through the thread for my views on the sectarian stuff Rangers fans were singing before you start spouting crap as well.

Originally posted by Anton:

I dont see what action would be imposed when nothing has been found yet, innocent until proven guilty etc.

And if any action is deemed necessary to be taken then it should be decided on its own merit. Your punishment should not come into it, I hate the way we are always pushed together with you as though we are the same entity. Sooner we drop the old firm nonsense the better.

The celtic fans both home and away have done an excellent job in 'policing' themselves and any songs that anyone could deem offensive are not sung anywhere now. Every bit of video footage is gone over in every detail by the laptop loyal looking for anything that can be deemed offensive so they can run to the media/sfa. And since we have had nothing like this all season its safe to say its worked and we dont need to 'ban' songs that are not being sung.

Nothing at all this season? Oh come on! Arrests and action by police (at least two differenct forces) is more than nothing... icon_biggrin.gif

Suffice to say a cursory look at YouTube show several videos of your away support in Barca indulging in songs about the IRA and h uns as well as other offensive add-ons such as FTQ. These songs also happen reasonably regularly in stadia throughout Scotland. Please don't say it doesn't when we've all heard them across the country home and away.

I'm not surprised you're denying this happens (or want to hypocritically blame the people reporting it given your fans do exactly the same) but I am disappointed.

Do you want to remove this problem or not?

Archived