The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by morton2003:

******** players get them self into hassle Novo got bottled last year from a local night club cause he was running around Singing sectarian songs ,

He was later banned from the night club by the local Sheriff court.

I doubt Kevin Thomson is the kind of lad to go seeking trouble.

Originally posted by morton2003:

Players attack each other on the park .

You only need to look at Mc Manus and Ferguson interview best mates off the park on the park hate each other and wanna kill each other ,

Same goes for Gerrard and Rooney etc .

'Mick' want to kill his best bud? I dont think so....a disgrace of a captain and maybe if we did have a but more fight we wouldnt be in this situation.

Im a fulham fan,Steven Davis looked like he could be a decent player, but really lacked confidence which seemed to result in him bottling tackles, not shooting when he should have and not making enough forward runs, hows he doing for you lot? Seems like you're impressed, had a new lease of life under you has he?

Originally posted by THC_lean:

Im a fulham fan,Steven Davis looked like he could be a decent player, but really lacked confidence which seemed to result in him bottling tackles, not shooting when he should have and not making enough forward runs, hows he doing for you lot? Seems like you're impressed, had a new lease of life under you has he?

I'd like to sign him, but I wouldnt pay a penny more than £3.5million for him.

He's impressed

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

That's a no then.

Cheerio.

Still NOT wanting to debate your own failings. Very mature of you. Please don't put words into my mouth either. icon13.gif

Despite your own refusal to do so, I will address your claims though even although I would have thought my own criticism of FF on here (several times actually) would have covered this.

That messageboard certainly has it's problems. There's no doubt it arguably reflects mainstream society in how it works though. Vast majority of it's members are good Rangers fans and it contains some excellent debate on a wide variety of Rangers subjects. Unfortunately, as you'll find at Ibrox or any Rangers pub, it also contains a small number of idiots who won't move on.

In saying that, the owners of the site have worked hard over the last while to try and cut down on these people and I've certainly noticed a fair improvement in recent years. FF is one of the busiest forums in the UK and is incredibly hard to administrate (it's busier than here and we all see the problems this place has). However, I know the owners appreciate the problems and try to address them. Indeed, you'll find they receive much criticism from the extremist element of the Rangers support (see another forum) who decry FF for being too moderate nowadays.

You claim it's bigoted and sectarian. Well, I disagree. Some people are bigots no doubt but try and post a sectarian thread and it will be chopped. Sure, you'll find strong criticism of Celtic (plenty of it) and strong criticism of catholicism but that doesn't always equate to bigotry as much as you'd like to think.

Essentially what we have is a forum that deserves criticism and needs to improve. I can assure you the owner of the site acknowledges that and is always interested in constructive debate about how to improve it. I've had many a debate with him about it and I personally think he needs more moderators and they need to be stronger to ensure any contentious stuff doesn't get aired.

I hope that answers your question.

Now, as someone who obviously is very interested in bigoted and sectarian websites, what are you doing to acknowledge the obvious problems with the very same behaviour on various high profile Celtic sites? Or, going by your constant refusal to condemn them, can we assume you think it's acceptable?

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Frankie's a popmups arsehole who believes his own hype, why waste your time.

And what 'hype' do I believe about myself...? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just a Rangers fan posting on a forum about a game I enjoy. Nothing more, nothing less and I'm certainly no better than anyone else on here. Not in the slightest and neither do I suggest I am.

If pointing out the occasional bit of hypocrisy from people like you makes me pompous then so be it. How do you describe people who won't condemn chants about h uns and/or the IRA?

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

I'm just a Rangers fan posting on a forum about a game I enjoy. Nothing more, nothing less and I'm certainly no better than anyone else on here. Not in the slightest and neither do I suggest I am.

If pointing out the occasional bit of hypocrisy from people like you makes me pompous then so be it. How do you describe people who won't condemn chants about h uns and/or the IRA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long as you have a wee pal as a mod..you will and all other Rangers fans can get away with holy murder

by jesus though if your a Celtic fan!

Not like one of the red-tops to sensationalise something.

No matter what any club/set of fans do, there will always be a risk of one idiot making the rest of us look stupid.

As such, it would be much better if journalists/papers had a moratorium on such incdidents to avoid the usual oneupmanship.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

If pointing out the occasional bit of hypocrisy from people like you makes me pompous then so be it. How do you describe people who won't condemn chants about h uns and/or the IRA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do we even have to discuss such topics on here?

pointless.

So the big games keep on coming then... icon14.gif

Despite the various claims that Hemdani may return tonight I can't see many changes for tonight's game from the team that beat Celtic at the weekend. I guess Papac may return to left back and, depending on the height of the Lisbon team, Dailly may be rested in favour of Hemdani but as long as Thomson and Davis are fit it should be as we were...

Certainly it will be another difficult game but, again, one we're capable of winning. A decent lead will be required to take the Portugal of course and it would be interesting to see what happens if we can get an early goal to put pressure on Sporting.

Apparently the game is pretty much a sell-out so let's hope we all have something to cheer... icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

I would think Hemdani would come back in to replace Dailly as I don't think Sporting pose much of a threat in the air like Frankie said. Interesting to read Walter's comments about changing things to work in our favour. We've obviously done our homework on them and hopefully Walter pulls off another good result and the players do the business on the pitch.

McGregor

Broadfoot, Cuellar, Weir, Whittaker

Hemdani

Davis Ferguson Thomson McCulloch

Darcheville

He'll probably go with something like that, although he might spring a surprise with Naismith / Novo starting

Looking forward to tonight. Will hopefully see a repeat of the Bremen first leg. Stakes are a little lower than Saturday so fingers crossed it's more fun and relaxed anyway. Stadium will be buzzing.

I think this is a game where we definately need a lead of at least two goals, rather than the no scoring of Panathinaikos. Sporting are a decent team BUT they are also a team having a hell of a season and if we can get early goals their confidence might be sapped. Obviously goes without saying it's important not to lose a goal (Although right now I'd settle for 6-1 icon_wink.gif)

I don't expect Sporting to be any better (or worse) than Bremen and if we can keep playing and keep believing we can certainly win this leg and then we'll see where we stand.

One thing the players will have to be seriously aware of is the referee who has a pretty poor reputation.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Broadfoot Cuellar Weir Papac

Hemdani

Davis Ferguson Thomson McCulloch

Darcheville

</pre>

I think that'll be the team, although Whittaker may replace Broadfoot.

I'm sure most will be pleased that Adam is suspended

Originally posted by Utter Utter Loser (Ned):

I agree with Gudge's team. No chance whatsoever of 4-4-2 right?

I think Whittaker will start in place of Papac but, generally, I doubt we'll go 4-4-2...

One of Novo, Naismith or Burke may start on the left but I very much doubt it.

Walter has said he might have to try something for this match, to be more positive. I imagine though he will start cautiously, it's in his nature and there's not point in losing a goal early on. But we will need goals, a 0-0 I feel will not be enough this time so I'm sure he'll have thoughts to go for goals if needed later on.

Originally posted by FrankJJ:

The irony clearly missed by one or two! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck tonight, we'll keep the two defeats to green and white hoops for a couple of weeks shall we! icon_wink.gif

We dont play a team in green and White when we go through though icon_biggrin.gif

Broadfoot shouldnt be there, Whittaker should be our rightback. I hope that Smith gets this sorted sooner rather than later.

Also Davis is lost on the right mid/wing area. You dont get anywhere near his best out there. Need to get Hemdani off for Novo probably and get Davis into the middle.

I just hope that we buy someone in the summer who can take a FK/cross tbh, some utterly woeful crossing and the corner/FK taking is just rubbish

we are never exciting in Europe tbh, so I'm not surprised it's 0-0 at HT and not many chances on target. Some aright chances though I guess, McCulloch's ping was quite good icon14.gif

Hopefully they're looking at Kirk Broadfoot, can someone please plant some CP on his computer so they take him away thanks.

I know we are never pretty to watch, but that performance is was just rubbish. I think too many players just felt they had to turn up and the game was won. Sporting certainly the worst team we've played so far this season in Europe, and yet we still can't score.

at least Kirk looked like he was interested, I never heard McCulloch's name in the 2nd half, Barry seemed to go missing and I just can't stand playing a formation of 4-5-1 when it's obvious this team are not better than Werder Bremen icon_mad.gif

apart from trying hard and his tackle towards the end, Davis should have been brought off and a 2nd striker brought on to support Novo, but we only made one change in the whole game icon14.gif

great time for us to make the hop to nationwide TV on ITV4 as well, now others in the UK see how exciting we play on European nights icon_frown.gif

the players are knackered, simple as that. Walter is going to have to do some serious juggling over coming weeks to hold all this together.

I'd have taken 0-0 at half time tonight and in the end we were lucky to get that so we live to fight another day and it's Sporting who have to try and figure out the best approach to the second leg.

Archived