The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• SI Staff
I know you're a big Ferguson fan - most of you kids grew up with him as the only decent Scots youth of his era

I wouldn't really say I'm a big Ferguson fan. I'm a big Rangers fan. I like what he's done in the past but if he should be dropped then I would say it.

It's a strange one, but I think we need his influence and leadership on the pitch. He's one of the few players who will put his foot on the ball and spread the play. Nobody else really does that. His overall performances haven't been great but I think it would be a big mistake to drop him, especially at this crucial stage of the season.

lets face it if the other players can't motivate themselves without Ferguson on the field you have to question their intelligence

It's not about intelligence it's about character. I'm sure big Dailly could come in and sit in midfield and have an influential role and motivate the players. Risky to try it though!

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I think Broadfoot will remain at right back. I got really angry at him last night, he was playing like a St Mirren player again and that simply isn't good enough. The lad has done the best he can in that role, he isn't Allan Hutton and he certainly isn't Sandy Jardine but then who is. However, his best isn't good enough when it's not coming off and you simply can't get away with that at this level. In Broadfoots favour, I think he does at least know his limitations and he wasn't exactly helped by allegedly better players who weren't firing either.

Even if Barry was dropped actually, it doesn't solve the main problem that no-one is really getting in from the midfield to support the striker and he's being left isolated. It probably shows how much better at that role Cousin actually is tbh, as our other strikers really do need a partner to be most effective. I think Walter has become obssessed tbh with not losing a home goal - but truth is Sporting were posing nothing at all last night, should have taken off Hemdani and brought on Boyd beside Darcheville and we would have won. I can safely say that icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
Somehow I think Broadfoot will remain at right back. I got really angry at him last night, he was playing like a St Mirren player again and that simply isn't good enough. The lad has done the best he can in that role, he isn't Allan Hutton and he certainly isn't Sandy Jardine but then who is. However, his best isn't good enough when it's not coming off and you simply can't get away with that at this level. In Broadfoots favour, I think he does at least know his limitations and he wasn't exactly helped by allegedly better players who weren't firing either.

I really don't understand why Whittaker isn't playing at right back. Fair enough, Broadfoot had a spell where he played well and deserved to keep his place in the side but his recent performances haven't been good enough and Whittaker should come back in at right back.

If Papac is dropped on Sunday then it's a bit of a joke. He's been quietly getting on with it and been pretty solid most of the season. In fact, I reckon Steven Smith might have a fight on his hands to get a place in the first team.

Even if Barry was dropped actually, it doesn't solve the main problem that no-one is really getting in from the midfield to support the striker and he's being left isolated. It probably shows how much better at that role Cousin actually is tbh, as our other strikers really do need a partner to be most effective. I think Walter has become obssessed tbh with not losing a home goal - but truth is Sporting were posing nothing at all last night, should have taken off Hemdani and brought on Boyd beside Darcheville and we would have won. I can safely say that

Barry should be the one doing the midfield running job, but as usual he wants to be too involved and drops too deep. I think it was the first game of the season against Inverness where Barry scored two good goals and his forward running and link up play were excellent. He should be doing that a lot more, but I don't think he'll be doing too much of that while taking injections for his injury.

I still think Barry's strength has always been in a dominating midfield role where he can dictate play. But anyway.

Just thinking that there are a lot of parallels between this season and John Grieg's first as a manager - Grieg did end up with both Cups of course that season, but literally threw the league away and the Euro Cup is debatable but having beaten two of the best sides in Europe at that time we should certainly have beaten a very poor Koln side and as for the other three semi finalists well. Shades really of this, but possibly the difference being that Walter has a hell of a lot more experience. I just wish he would trust his players a little bit more and allow a little bit of a gamble, because if he gets it right he's on course for an amazing season and really, sometimes you just need to take that little gamble.

Sunday is going to be huge because Dundee United are a very good side, and they of course will want revenge for the League Cup. I actually think this could be the pivotal game of the season because if we come away from Tannadice with a win, I might start believing the title is really on.

Yep, Sunday is a huge game.

Would be a big blow if we lost the 3 points we worked very hard to win last week. Utd are a very difficult team to beat but we showed when we went to 4-4-2 against them in the final that we can cause them problems.

Big weekend. Again.

Originally posted by Ter:

Ferguson has been carrying an ankle injury for a while, which might explain his below par performances.

Like Frankie said though, when he doesn't play we miss him so I doubt he's going to be dropped any time soon.

Ferguson hasnt put in a top performance since the OF game last October and its not good enough. For some reason he seems to get away with it and has a lot of people backing poor performance after poor performance.

I'd be quite happy to get rid of him come the summer, we can do better than him IMO, sadly it wont happen.

He's a passanger as Peacemaker has said and that is totally unacceptable, especially when he's our highest earner.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Hopefully we'll start by playing Whittaker at RB on Sunday, Dailly at CB, Davis at CM, Naismith at RW and Cousin up front.

Sounds good to me. Along with the second Tynecastle game, one of our season's best domestic performances came just before the start of the year at Easter Road where we started with Cousin on his own and Naismith / Burke supplementing. We had width, trickery, pace and directness, we bossed the midfield and should have won by more than we eventually did.

Time to stop playing four central midfielders.

The team has only scored 7 goals in the last 7 games and that really is the problem- either they are not clinical enough or are not creative enough and I suspect that it is the latter with a team full of defensive midielders.

Originally posted by FrazT:

The team has only scored 7 goals in the last 7 games and that really is the problem- either they are not clinical enough or are not creative enough and I suspect that it is the latter with a team full of defensive midielders.

Losing Cousin has been big. He's the only striker we have that can play the lone striker role effectively. Thankfully he should be back on Sunday.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

The problem is Walter doesn't like taking risks, when really he should have done just that last night.

I'll take a 0-0 draw over "taking a risk" and lose 1-0.

When it comes to European knockout football, the time to take a risk is not with 10 mins left of a goalless first leg.

Arsenal drew 0-0 with AC Milan at the Emirates and it didn't do them any harm, likewise us against Panathinaikos.

In 5 knockout ties, we've kept 5 clean sheets at home. Smith is getting it right.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

C'mon lads. Lets take things into perspective. It wasn't that long ago we were out of Europe by August and plaid like this. You'd think we got beat or something. Sporting didn't score, that's all that counts. The boys will come good in Portugal.

Exactly.

The cardinal sin when playing at home first is to give away an away goal, which we've avoided in 5 games this season. Of all the sides that played at home last night, we're in the best position to go through.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

C'mon lads. Lets take things into perspective. It wasn't that long ago we were out of Europe by August and plaid like this. You'd think we got beat or something. Sporting didn't score, that's all that counts. The boys will come good in Portugal.

Exactly.

The cardinal sin when playing at home first is to give away an away goal, which we've avoided in 5 games this season. Of all the sides that played at home last night, we're in the best position to go through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you seriously believe that I'll take even money on either other team(Fior and Bayern) to go through instead of rangers.

You pick the team, if they go out and rangers go through you win. If you go out they go through I win. Both go out/through push.

You can choose stakes.

So true. Just one goal could do it for us, and whilst we don't look like running away with games this season, we do look capable of grabbing a goal most of the time.

Taking a goal over there would have been preferable, but it's better than heading to Portugal having lost - and let's face it, we really deserved to after that performance the other day which goes down as our worst of the season for me.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Exactly.

The cardinal sin when playing at home first is to give away an away goal, which we've avoided in 5 games this season. Of all the sides that played at home last night, we're in the best position to go through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you seriously believe that I'll take even money on either other team(Fior and Bayern) to go through instead of rangers.

You pick the team, if they go out and rangers go through you win. If you go out they go through I win. Both go out/through push.

You can choose stakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bayern and Fiorentina are better sides than us, and are probably more likely to go through.

However, if you were to ask the coaches, I bet they'd both rather have had our result last night. A 0-0 at home is better than 1-1.

Originally posted by Anton:

Fair enough, just the way you said best position to go through.

Obv your 0-0 was a better result than their 1-1.

Which puts us in a better position (and therefore, the best position of all the sides that played at home)

Not most likely, but we're best placed to do it.

Taking a goal over there would have been preferable, but it's better than heading to Portugal having lost - and let's face it, we really deserved to after that performance the other day which goes down as our worst of the season for me.

I agree it was one of our worst performances, but I don't agree we should have lost. Even Panathinaikos I felt posed more threat than Sporting, who looked a side very low on confidence. We should have won, despite playing so badly. I just think we might regret that. We'll see.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Celtic down 1-0 to The Well icon_biggrin.gif

Wont last, but its funny icon_cool.gif

True, we can at least take heart that their not scoring barrel loads of goals at home recently. Mind you, knowing my luck, that will end either today or Wednesday. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

nah, Strachan will hang about til the end of the season, then it'll be somebody else. Lennon will simply be a coach.

Only yanking your chain.

I can see Strachan going into next season in charge. Can see him jumping ship, although he has been known to do it before when it comes to the high pressure situations.

If we win the league, I think he'd want the chance to win it back.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Tomorrows game was always huge regardless. It's good Celtic lost, but it changes nothing we have to win and if we do, the title's coming home.

tbh you dont even have to, a draw would be more than enough. in fact you can even loss because we cant even score a goal

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Tomorrows game was always huge regardless. It's good Celtic lost, but it changes nothing we have to win and if we do, the title's coming home.

I agree, every "next" game is the most important game.

The players are getting unexpected boosts because of the way Celtic have been dropping points.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I agree, every "next" game is the most important game.

The players are getting unexpected boosts because of the way Celtic have been dropping points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just that. Tannadice is a very tough place to go. Never think the race is over until it is. If we lose, then we give Celtic a boost that we really don't want to give them. I don't want a draw, I want a win - I'm greedy that way.

Guest sav112

I always think that wee boost you get from the title rivals playing really poor and losing the way that Celtic just did at home will wipe those tired legs out. . Celtic’s chance to close the gap and even getting a very dodgy decision and a Well player sent off wrongly did not help. Fans leaving at half time……...!

Lets all hear those rants about decisions – Aye right!

I’d start Novo and Boyd and let it rip……Boyd love’s games he knows are huge turning points in the season, Ally will have them fired up. I’d never accept the title won but if we win our next game we have one hand on it.

Guest sav112

Seemingly the Radio is saying the sending off was justified, but the Celtic Gk diving in the last minute to win a penalty seemingly was extremely funny………….

• SI Staff

I think we could probably win the league if we were to just win the two games left against them.

The whole pub seemed to crap themselves today when I jumped up and let out an almighty YAAAAAAAAS after getting a text from my mate confirming their defeat.

Archived