The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

Can I expect the righteous indignance in here over Smith ignoring his touchline ban that's usually reserved for whenever a Celtic player/staff does something questionable?

We'll let the authorities deal with it. If there is something to talk about after that, then feel free. icon_cool.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

He wasn't on the touchline.

What's the difference between using a phone and speaking to someone in the tunnel? It's not as if he was in the dugout spurring his players on icon_wink.gif

The fact that it's against the rules maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know the situation, as I didnt see it. Although I heard about it from all the crying micks.

At what point in the game was he seen in the tunnel area?

Was he outside the building?

Do you have to be in that area to make your way to the seat in the stand?

If he has done something wrong then he should be punished.

it was in the 70th minute, in the tunnel at the bit the players walk through.

Actually in the tunnel or in the building?

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of e-mails on there way to the SPL from Celtic fans asking about this.

Having not seen the incident then its a hard one to comment on. But as I said, if he has done something wrong then he should be punished accordingly.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Was deep into the tunnel, if that clears anything up for you jimbo. Not at the front near the pitch.

the fact that the tunnel at Tanadump is half teh pitch away from the bench means that it shouldnt be an incident worth talking about.

He'd need a megaphone to pass on instructions from there.

Whatisname went up the tunnel to talk to him. Since he isn't banned from doing that, I don't see how its a problem. Well except to the straw clutchers from the other side who would do well to worry about how pish their team actually is than whatever is going on in a game that doesn't concern them.

christ things must be bad if you are whinging about something as small as that icon_biggrin.gif

seemed to be on the phone most of the time, although I'm surprised Setanta didn't highlight it if he did do it icon14.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having not seen the incident then its a hard one to comment on. But as I said, if he has done something wrong then he should be punished accordingly.

Rangers should be docked 20 points icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

25 points icon14.gificon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

Did Souness not get done for standing at the entrance to the tunnel when he was meant to be banned and then banned STV or something from the ground because they showed him on TV icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Ter:

So, I thought I'd do a little squad preview of the coming season along with my estimated transfer fee wee could possibly get for the player were he to leave the club. I'll try to be realistic icon_wink.gif

01 - ALLAN MCGREGOR

Will have to be on top of his game this season with increased competition from new signings Roy Carroll and Graeme Smith. Can't afford to make any of the early season mistakes again or he could find himself losing his place in the team. Still seems a bit hesitant at times but is a great shot stopper and I think he'll have another good season.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.4m

02 - ALAN HUTTON

Was the number one target of the boo boys in the earlier part of the season but once he found some form he was excellent and hopefully he can continue this into the new season. We probably need some backup in this position and it will be interesting if Whittaker signs as we do need some strength in this position as there are not many other options if Hutton gets injured.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.2m (rising if he keeps performing well)

03 - DAVID WEIR

Was exactly what we were lacking under Le Guen. We needed a leader at the back who will organise and control the defence. Was pretty solid and quietly did his job. He might not have the pace any more but he makes up for it with his experience and reading of the game. Will be another important player for us this season.

- First team regular

- Would leave on a free were he to go

04 - THOMAS BUFFEL

Now where do you start with this man. A massive disappointment through poor performances and injury since his move from Feyenoord a couple of years ago. He went through a good patch at the start of the 05/06 season before being injured but often games pass him by and he doesn't get involved enough. It's probably no co-incidence that some of his better performances have been in Europe where it suits his game more rather than the SPL. Would love to see him find his feet though as he obviously has the talent.

- Backup who will be sold if a good offer comes in

- Worth around £1.8m if we're lucky

05 - SASA PAPAC

Had a bit of a poor start where he looked lethargic and uninterested but came back into the team in the latter part of the season and played quite well mostly filling in at left back where he'll probably start the season if Smith is still out injured, which is looking increasingly likely.

- Squad player who will get his fair share of games

- Worth around £1m

06 - BARRY FERGUSON

Opinions seem split amongst the supporters with a lot still unable to forgive him for leaving in the first place and then the whole spat with Le Guen stuff. Putting all that aside, Ferguson hasn't quite got to the levels he was at prior to his departure but he has shown glimpses that he's still got it. He needs to leave some of the more defensive duties to others and concentrate on being the playmaker. Too many times he is dropping too deep and one of his main problems is that he always wants to be on the ball no matter where it is on the pitch. Hopefully we'll see the very best of Barry Ferguson next season (if he can stay off the Monster Munch)

- Will start every game he's fit for (and probably the ones where he's carrying knocks as well)

- Worth around £4.5m

07 - BRAHIM HEMDANI

The deserved player of the year last season who quietly went about his business doing what was asked of him whether it was in midfield or defence. Has one of the best first touches I've seen and very rarely gives the ball away. Not quite sure where he fits in with Walter Smith's plans though but he's a player I wouldn't like to see lose his place.

- Hopefully first team regular

- Worth around £2m

08 - KEVIN THOMSON

Struggled at first but has seemed to settle better now and had some good performances towards the end of the season, especially against Celtic. He's definitely still one for the future though but should feature a lot this coming season and will hopefully benefit from playing with Ferguson and Hemdani.

- Will see his fair share of action

- Worth around £2m

09 - KRIS BOYD

Hasn't really stopped scoring since his arrival from Kilmarnock and again, expectations will be high for Boyd. Has apparently been working hard in pre-season and has lost a bit of weight so hopefully he'll be that little bit sharper and will continue to score the goals.

- First team regular

- Worth around £3.5m

10 - NACHO NOVO

Every time his chance of keeping his place in the team looks under threat the wee man suprises all by putting in good performances and scoring important goals that it's hard to drop him. He'll probably have to do the same again from the bench though as it's unlikely he'll be a first pick. Some players should watch the hard shifts Nacho puts in and take note.

- Backup

- Worth around £1m

11 - CHARLIE ADAM

Despite his impressive goal tally last season, Charlie will find his position seriously under threat with the arrival of Beasley and McCulloch. Even though he scored a lot of goals from midfield, his overall play wasn't good enough and will have to get fitter and work harder in order to keep his place in the team.

- Backup

- Worth around £1.2m

12 - UGO EHIOGU

Another experienced defender brought in to tighten things up. Despite his wonder goal against Celtic, he gave the ball away a lot and didn't look confident. Will have to up his game next season, although I think he'll be backup.

- Backup

- Would leave on a free were he to go

14 - LIBOR SIONKO

Another player who arrived with a lot of promise and didn't deliver. Struggled through injury and didn't really feature much. A shoe in to leave before the transfer window closes.

- Will probably be out the door or paid off

- £800k, but we'll probably pay him off

15 - ALAN GOW

Signed on a free from Falkirk. I wouldn't expect him to score a lot of goals and I don't think he'll be a first pick so he might struggle to get into the team. Will probably be a top player for our reserves and will play SPL matches after we've played European matches to keep the first team players fresh. Always has a chance if he comes in and plays well. Good squad player to have.

- Backup

- Worth around £500k

16 - GRAEME SMITH

Brought in as competition for McGregor and put in some good performances for Killie earlier in the season. I wouldn't expect him to feature at all after the signing of Carroll but might get a run out in the League Cup.

- One for the future

- Worth around £200k

17 - CHRIS BURKE

Such a frustrating player. Some games he has looked astonishingly brilliant yet other games has looked utterly mince. Is a joy to watch him taking the ball past 5 players with ease then cringing to watch him beating himself and falling over the ball giving away a throw-in in the process. Needs to learn how to cross the ball as well. Will have to seriously up his game and find some form if he has to have any chance of getting a regular place in the team.

- Will probably be backup

- Sometimes worth £10m sometimes worth 10p

18 - IAN MURRAY

Mr Utility. Unfortunately for Ian Murray he is competent in a lot of positions but doesn't really stand out in any of them so he is always going to be a useful backup to have. I'm struggling to think of anything much else to say about him. Gudge thinks he doesn't have any teeth.

- Definite Backup

- Worth around £750k

19 - JEAN-CLAUDE DARCHEVILLE

Nicknamed The Rocket because of his explosive pace. Could possibly be another Rod Wallace if he has his shooting boots on and will hopefully perform well with Boyd. Has already been dazzling his team mates with magic tricks and will hopefully be disappearing past defenders and putting the ball in the net a lot this season.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.2m

20 - DAMARCUS BEASLEY

Another quick player, Beasley can play on the left or right side but will probably play right with McCulloch on the left. Hopefully will find his feet in the SPL and get going as I think he struggled at times with Man City while on loan there.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1m

21 - KIRK BROADFOOT

Was described to me by my St. Mirren supporting mate as "a good defender with a touch of the 'Amos' about him" in reference to Lorenzo Amoruso who used to like his occasional mazy run and long shot. Won't be an automatic starter but is more one for the future when Weir's legs give in.

- Backup

- Worth around £500k

22 - ANDY WEBSTER

The saga continues and he's back on loan until the dispute with Hearts and Wigan is sorted out. Hasn't really played a lot of football in the past year so will be short of match fitness. Looked out of place when playing for Wigan last season. Unsure where he's going to fit in if the expected central defence is Weir/Cuellar.

- Probably backup

- Worth around £5m according to Hearts icon_wink.gif

23 - FILIP SEBO

SEBO! SEBO! SEBO! Cult hero amongst the fans, mostly because of his mad website and for being not very good and trying hard. Strange to see the fans getting behind him in such a big way but he's a likeable player for some reason. Isn't likely to feature much I don't think and would probably be sold were someone to be crazy enough to give us back the £1.8m we paid for him.

- Backup

- Worth around, er... £1.8m?

26 - STEVEN SMITH

Missed most of the last campaign through injury. Isn't likely to be fit in time for the new season and there were rumours going around that he had suffered a setback. Hopefully he'll recover and get his place back in the team as he's performed very well indeed since getting into the first team and would probably have made the Scotland squad if he had kept his performances up last season.

- First team regular when fit

- Worth around £1.5m

-- - ROY CARROLL

Surprising signing after already bringing in a goalkeeper as backup for McGregor but will increase competition for places and hopefully get the best out of McGregor. Fairly low risk with only a one year deal.

- Backup

- Worth nothing!

-- - CARLOS CUELLAR

Don't know much about him to be honest but is a player we've been chasing for a while. Apparently his style is suited to the Scottish game so we'll soon see how good he is. Heard the same about Svensson last year. Let's hope Carlos can head the ball.

- First team regular

- Worth £2.4m or however much we paid for him

-- - LEE MCCULLOCH

OK, hasn't joined yet but we've agreed a fee with Wigan and he's a big Rangers fan so it's going to happen. There has been a lot of outrage about McCulloch joining (mainly because of the large fee involved) but is probably the type of player we need to replace Prso when we need a bit of grit and hard work. Should be a good player for us after his experiences of the Premiership where he didn't look out of his depth in a hard working team.

- First team regular

- Worth £2m apparently

Posted this before the season started. Wasn't too far off icon_wink.gif

Can I expect the righteous indignance in here over Smith ignoring his touchline ban that's usually reserved for whenever a Celtic player/staff does something questionable?

I'm not 100% certain of what the rules are, though I can't imagine Smith would be stupid enough to break them. He's too savvy for that.

iirc, giving instructions via phone isn't breaking the rules, nor is dashing up the tunnel to speak to him.

• SI Staff
Yeah, your valuation of Hutton was spot on

If I said £8m at the start of the season I'd have got laughed at icon_biggrin.gif

I did say rising if he keeps performing well icon_razz.gif

• SI Staff

It's turning into an exciting title run in anyway with both Rangers and Celtic with tough matches ahead. I wasn't aware that it's looking likely Celtic will still have to go to Fir Park twice to play Motherwell and they have to go to Tannadice as well.

We've got some tough away ties ahead as well and I'm sure Motherwell / Dundee Utd won't be easy home ties either with both fighting for a UEFA Cup place.

Rangers

(A) Celtic

(A) St Mirren

(A) Motherwell

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(H) Motherwell

(H) Dundee Utd

(A) Celtic

(A) Hibernian

(A) Falkirk / Aberdeen

Celtic

(H) Rangers

(A) Motherwell

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(A) Motherwell

(A) Dundee Utd

(H) Rangers

(H) Hibernian

(H) Falkirk / Aberdeen

If things stand as they are though, those last three away games will be meaningless. But then I guess thats not the order they are in. However, we should beat St Mirren & either Falkirk/Sheep away, Motherwell & Dundee United at home. I would take right now a draw at Motherwell, a draw at the first Celtic Park game and the title race is done and dusted.

Of course if it was that easy we'd all be millionaires and football would be a very dull game.

• SI Staff
If things stand as they are though, those last three away games will be meaningless. But then I guess thats not the order they are in.

Nah, the post split games aren't in order. Should have mentioned that.

However, we should beat St Mirren & either Falkirk/Sheep away, Motherwell & Dundee United at home. I would take right now a draw at Motherwell, a draw at the first Celtic Park game and the title race is done and dusted.

I think it's good that our next league match is going to be against Celtic. Might be stating the obvious but I think the outcome of that one is going to swing it one way or the other. If we win, it's over. If they win they are right back in it. If it's a draw then we can only throw it away.

I'm convinced we're almost running on empty so hopefully we have enough in the tank to defeat Celtic next week.

Now it's looking like you'll be champions this season, wondered if any of you fancied doing a breakdown on who you think will be leaving this summer, and what type of players you'd like to bring in.

Just 'cos I'm interested, like.

Cuellar, Robson, McGeady and Scott McDonald up for POTY. Young Player shortlist is McGeady, Arfield, Fletcher, McCormack and Kevin McDonald.

Robson's a bit of an odd one. Most United fans I speak to don't reckon he had that great a time form-wise this season before his move and he's done next to nothing at Parkhead. They'd have put Gomis or Flood ahead of him, which seems fair enough to me. Guess Robson's an easy, lazy pick. Not that he'll win the thing!

Hey ho, don't know why I'm bothering, it's nice recognition for the player that wins it I guess, but our strength this year has been as a unit, not as a platform for over-rated individuals. If McGeady wins the main prize, it looks as if it will be nothing more than a Pyrrhic victory anyway.

I'm not to sure about joint awards, its player of the year, not players. I still think McGeady will get the award, was superb earlier in season. But definately between him and Cuellar, Mcdonald and Robson were no where near as good

Ricksen played alot of that season in midfield.

Don't mind who wins between Cuellar or McGeady, both have been standouts this year and it's tough and a bit redundant to say a centre-half has "played better" than a left-winger or vice versa.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Cuellar for PotY.

Fletcher fro YPotY.

Both have been consistant throughout the season where as McGeady has struggled at points, although hes had very good parts of the season.

fletcher icon_biggrin.gif

very unbiased from you as usual icon14.gif

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Cuellar for PotY.

Fletcher fro YPotY.

Both have been consistant throughout the season where as McGeady has struggled at points, although hes had very good parts of the season.

fletcher icon_biggrin.gif

very unbiased from you as usual icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Scott McDonald is in it for the goals he's scored, then Fletcher is my choice for young player.

Unbiased/Biased..... (whats that got to do with it)

My opinion is that both Fletcher and Cuellar have done it consistently throughout the whole season and not just in parts.

I would take consistency over a few good months from anyone. One reason why Barry Robson shouldnt be there (although he probably got all the Dundee Utd player votes) as he has done nothing since joining Celtic.

I take it that explanation isn't accepted by you...

There's a surprise. icon_eek.gif

Now you explain in your unbiased way who you think should win it and why

PotY must go to either cuellar or mcgeady as without both i believe both teams would have struggled to a certai degree. rangers would be nowhere near as solid without cuellar and we would have struggled to score goals without mcgeady. on that basis it could go either way

to say fletcher in front of mcgeady is ridiculous IMO. mcgeady is in the running for the PotY also, if Fletcher was so good then wouldn't he be also icon_confused.gif

how much of fletcher have you actually seen to say he should be young player of the year?

• SI Staff
Now it's looking like you'll be champions this season, wondered if any of you fancied doing a breakdown on who you think will be leaving this summer, and what type of players you'd like to bring in.

Just 'cos I'm interested, like.

I'll do it later if I can be arsed.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

PotY must go to either cuellar or mcgeady as without both i believe both teams would have struggled to a certai degree. rangers would be nowhere near as solid without cuellar and we would have struggled to score goals without mcgeady. on that basis it could go either way

to say fletcher in front of mcgeady is ridiculous IMO. mcgeady is in the running for the PotY also, if Fletcher was so good then wouldn't he be also icon_confused.gif

how much of fletcher have you actually seen to say he should be young player of the year?

Cuellar should have no rival for PotY, IMO. Its that simple. The guy has done it from day one until yesterday, where it was the first time that you could say he had a bad game (which is his 52nd game of the season, not bad if you ask me).

Fletcher would be my choice as young player because it takes a lot (much like Naismith the last two years) to do well for a team outside the OF, and to score as many as he has its an achievement on its own. He's also had a few game winning goals for them.

Granted i've not seen lots of him, but if thats the criteria then my young player of the year would be a Rangers player.

I don't have a problem with your choices, I'm basing my choices on my opinion of the season gone, so its funny that you have a problem with mine... in fact, its not.

Cuellar for PoY for me, McGeady for YPoY, I'm sure that'll please most people.

Surprised Weir didn't make the cut for PoY though. He's been just as consistent as Cuellar, and given his age it makes his workrate and consistency this season even more remarkable than what Cuellar has acheived.

Hard to choose. Cuellar has been the best defender in the league and McGeady has been the best winger in the league this season. Like McD said, you can't say one has played better than the other when they're in completely different positions.

Dunno about Young player, toss up between McGeady and Fletcher i think.

He's been pretty good. Got called up to the Scotland squad (even if it was by default). Pretty good for his age.

Surprised one of us haven't bought him, then let him die on the bench, whilst lining his pockets with some nice weegie cash.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

He's been pretty good. Got called up to the Scotland squad (even if it was by default). Pretty good for his age.

Surprised one of us haven't bought him, then let him die on the bench, whilst lining his pockets with some nice weegie cash.

Fletcher has had a great season, and although I doubt it will happen. The stories of Real Madrid's interest are interesting.

Rangers and Celtic had the chance to sign all these promising Hibs boys a few years ago on the cheap.

You could see Brown, Thomson and Fletcher were the top of the crop. Fletcher will move to England probably as both Rangers and Celtic will be scared to pay the money that would be quoted for him (probably more of a fee than took Brown to you).

I just don't see why Tony got so offended by my choice. Its all down to personal choice, but because i'm a big bad Rangers fan its down to bias icon13.gif

Archived