The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just disappointed that we don't seem to take confidence from good results. Yes, we've not played brilliantly but the run we've been on has been excellent so you'd think we'd be able to play a bit more freely no matter the system.

Unfortunately, mistakes are still rife, we're overly defensive and seem to lose our shape too often as well.

It's not all bad of course but I think we'll need to do it ourselves other than rely on Celtic similar problems. Any more slip ups and it makes the Old Firm games even bigger than normal.

• SI Staff
That's obviously not to say we should never revert to two up front when we're chasing a goal later in a game say, but starting like we did on Sunday was an accident waiting to happen.

If we were to play with two up front and someone like Naismith wide left and Burke wide right rather than McCulloch and Whittaker then I think it would be more effective.

I think Whittaker and McCulloch keep a 4-4-2 more solid defensively speaking (well they're supposed to) but unfortunately they provide little in terms of creativity and/or attacking threat.

As such if we play 4-4-2, I don't mind playing one of them but would much rather have another more attacking player to compliment them.

I don't like Naismith on the left but generally he's OK on the right - as are Novo and Burke.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

The decision to schedule the Celtic game first is bizzare to say the least, given that there's the possibility of us winning the league there if Celtic continue on the run of form they're in.

Not really, we've got pretty much no chance of winning the league at the tattie bowl

I think we could win it against Dundee Utd if we win it at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a 13.89% chance of us winning the league at Parkhead.

Low, but still significant enough to make me wonder why the SPL thought it would be a good idea for them to schedule the OF game when they did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was the 2nd or 3rd game after the split then we'd have more chance of winning it there imo

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Theres a video of Calum Elliot dancing his wee socks of with his boyfriend. icon_biggrin.gif

Some of the comments are priceless. icon_biggrin.gif

My my someone might get a little banter at the weekend icon_biggrin.gif :hellosailor: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

video been removed icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Theres a video of Calum Elliot dancing his wee socks of with his boyfriend. icon_biggrin.gif

Some of the comments are priceless. icon_biggrin.gif

My my someone might get a little banter at the weekend icon_biggrin.gif :hellosailor: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

video been removed icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have no fear, Billy Ell... I mean Calum Elliot is

• SI Staff

That's me found out icon_frown.gif

In other news, not good that Liverpool won tonight, but good that Chelsea did. We really really now need Chelsea to beat Liverpool in the semis and finish second in the league.

Basically, the Champions League winner has to finish in the top two in their league or we (or whoever wins the SPL) will have to qualify and not go into the group stage.

From what I've seen so far it's not going to be easy to qualify either as there are a lot of potential good teams in the unseeded pot (we'll definitely be seeded). I think as it stands at the moment Celtic might not even be seeded for it if they have to play in it.

Well, I'm hoping that Walter gets a nice pot to attract a few big signings. I'm guessing a few players of Cuellars ability or perhaps higher would join in the summer after seeing how well we're doing in Europe this season. So hopefully it won't matter about qualifying as we should be strong enough. Any ideas about summer transfer kitty?

• SI Staff
I'm guessing a few players of Cuellars ability or perhaps higher would join in the summer after seeing how well we're doing in Europe this season. So hopefully it won't matter about qualifying as we should be strong enough. Any ideas about summer transfer kitty?

Easy to say that but there are going to be quite a few quality sides in the 3rd Qual Round and it would be silly to write them off. Hopefully we won't have to deal with that but you never know.

Especially early in the season when any new signings might not have gelled or whatever.

Article on F365 saying Darche wants to finish his career at Rangers, with his agent keen to open contract talks.

Nice of the lad to want to stay and no doubt he's a good player, but I'd be hesitant on putting him on a longer contract, especially with his injury history.

We've been burnt far, far too often in the past.

Happy enough for him to sign a new contract under the following conditions:

1. Reduced weekly wage - he's now a year older;

2. Pay as you play.

JCD is a fine player and, when fully fit, his pace and sharpness is vital to the team. However, as was the case with Prso, there's no room for sentiment when players are injured more than they play.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm guessing a few players of Cuellars ability or perhaps higher would join in the summer after seeing how well we're doing in Europe this season. So hopefully it won't matter about qualifying as we should be strong enough. Any ideas about summer transfer kitty?

Easy to say that but there are going to be quite a few quality sides in the 3rd Qual Round and it would be silly to write them off. Hopefully we won't have to deal with that but you never know.

Especially early in the season when any new signings might not have gelled or whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, plus the fact we've been there, done that and failed miserably before.

In other news, not good that Liverpool won tonight, but good that Chelsea did. We really really now need Chelsea to beat Liverpool in the semis and finish second in the league.

Basically, the Champions League winner has to finish in the top two in their league or we (or whoever wins the SPL) will have to qualify and not go into the group stage.

Didn't UEFA just put in a new rule if in the event the CL winner finishes below an automatic spot they are given one at the expense of the lowest placed team that has one?

IE Liverpool win it, finish 4th and Chelsea or whoever finishes 2nd must go through a qualifer.

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Didn't UEFA just put in a new rule if in the event the CL winner finishes below an automatic spot they are given one at the expense of the lowest placed team that has one?

IE Liverpool win it, finish 4th and Chelsea or whoever finishes 2nd must go through a qualifer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4th is an automatic spot in England though icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

4th is an automatic spot in England though icon_confused.gif

No, only the top 2 go straight through to the groups, the other 2 go through the last qualifer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought you meant places in the cup itself icon_redface.gif

'Mon Man U & Chelsea icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

IE Liverpool win it, finish 4th and Chelsea or whoever finishes 2nd must go through a qualifer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they don't.

The top 2 in England would qualify automatically, as would Liverpool, as the top spot in pot 1 is reserved for the winners of the previous year's competition.

Would prefer Cousin to start if he's fit enough and bring on JCD later on if needed.

I said after the first leg I didn't think this time 0-0 would be enough. I'm now on the fence, Ter is gonna cry but I have a small feeling, a very small one mind, that we might just do this. Despite the ignorance of some of our support, this is the biggest game of the season so far, our chance to reach a European Semi-Final for the first time since 1972! I might actually be getting a little bit excited....

Funnily enough I am less pessimistic about this than I was before the first leg, but given our recent poor level of performance can see it going one of two ways -

Our luck will hold and we'll somehow scrape another 1-1 to go through

OR

We'll get the doing that we are probably due from somewhere and lose 3-0.

Yeah, haven't felt this giddy since Advocaat's team got into Europe past Christmas icon_biggrin.gif

I don't mind if we completely mess up in the semi's, but to go out in the QF would actually feel like a dissapointment for me, even though we've gone far further than we'd ever have expected to.

Originally posted by Haz:

Funnily enough I am less pessimistic about this than I was before the first leg, but given our recent poor level of performance can see it going one of two ways -

Our luck will hold and we'll somehow scrape another 1-1 to go through

OR

We'll get the doing that we are probably due from somewhere and lose 3-0.

I think this game will take care of itself. It's the Partick match I'm really worried about.

That's me found out icon_frown.gif

From what I've seen so far it's not going to be easy to qualify either as there are a lot of potential good teams in the unseeded pot (we'll definitely be seeded). I think as it stands at the moment Celtic might not even be seeded for it if they have to play in it.

1. Chelsea (Would all move down a place if AC Milan qualify and if Milan qualify Fiorentina won't)

2. Liverpool

3. Barcelona

4. Arsenal

5. Man Utd

6. Lyon

7. Inter Milan

8. Real Madrid

9. PSV

10. Villarreal

11. Bayern Munich

12. Roma

13. Porto

14. Benfica

15. Schalke (Would move down a place(s) if Werder Bremen and/or Sporting Lisbon qualify and if Werder Bremen qualify either Schalke or Hamburg won't)

16. Juventus

17. RANGERS (Would move down a place if Marseille qualify and if Marseille qualify Nancy won't)

18. Steaua Bucharest

19. Zenit St Petersburg

20. Bordeaux (Would move down a place if Panathinaikos qualify and if Panathinaikos qualify either AEK Athens or Olympiakos won't)

21. Basel

22. Hamburg

23. Ajax

24. Olympiakos

25. Celtic

26. Fenerbache

27. Shakhtar Donetsk

28. Rapid Bucharest

29. Spartak Moscow

30. Atletico Madrid

31. Sparta Prague

32. Fiorentina

Possible qualifiers who may not make it because of seeding: AEK Athens, CSKA Sofia, Slavia Prague, Galatasaray, Partizan Belgrade, Nancy.

1-8 = Pot 1

9-16 = Pot 2

17-24 = Pot 3

25-32 = Pot 4

That is going by highest seeded all qualifying and all the current qualifiers. The qualifiers could change slightly.

Those teams/seedings are very likely for next season so what wuld we like and what would we like to avoid.

I would love:

Lyon

PSV

Rangers

Sparta Prague

and

Man Utd

Juventus

Hamburg

Celtic

It's going to be the best ever next season as if AC Milan qualify then you could get a Group like this:

Man Utd

Real Madrid

Juventus

Celtic

• SI Staff

I think all this talk about European Group Stages is a bit premature.

We can only automatically get there if

- We win the league

- A team who already qualifies for the CL Group Stage wins the CL

Just had to post this, from 606. Made my day!

comment by celtmarshall

posted 19 Hours Ago

sporting to win 2-0 then rangers out of european football again not the champs league uefa cup lol you have no chance winning the uefa cup you are not that good a side you just sit back like you have done all season enjoy this season the tide is turning a new begining is away to happen at celtic keanooo coming home next season with lennon with lots of money from the board miles ahead of rangers who have no money and are deep in debt claiming to build a 70 million pound new stadium lol lol biggrin wake up and continue to sign old men and has beens hail hail come on sporting

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">comment by celtmarshall

posted 19 Hours Ago

sporting to win 2-0 then rangers out of european football again not the champs league uefa cup lol you have no chance winning the uefa cup you are not that good a side you just sit back like you have done all season enjoy this season the tide is turning a new begining is away to happen at celtic keanooo coming home next season with lennon with lots of money from the board miles ahead of rangers who have no money and are deep in debt claiming to build a 70 million pound new stadium lol lol biggrin wake up and continue to sign old men and has beens hail hail come on sporting

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

Always wondered what Stan petrov did when he wasn't posting in here and the Celtc thread. :p

Right mon another 1-1 draw tonight icon_biggrin.gif. Where we all watching it tonight? I'm having to go through to Glasgow for a crappy Caledonian league meeting in some hotel so I'm hoping alot of the pubs around Queen Street will be showing it. Going to do a silly scorecast of McCullagh first scorer and a 3-1 win icon_biggrin.gif.

Seriously though, score draw please lads icon14.gif.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">comment by celtmarshall

posted 19 Hours Ago

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

Always wondered what Stan petrov did when he wasn't posting in here and the Celtc thread. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

Heard something today about some fans giving medical help Chelsea's Paulo Ferreira at Lisbon Airport after he had some sort of collapse. Any truth in it?

the guy involved posted on FF yesterday about it and the Daily Record stole the story word for word icon_biggrin.gif

guess it must have been quiet for stories yesterday or Allan McGregor wasn't doing anything newsworthy icon_rolleyes.gif

Rangers

* 01 McGregor

* 21 Broadfoot

* 24 Cuellar

* 30 Dailly

* 05 Papac

* 07 Hemdani

* 35 Davis

* 06 Ferguson

* 08 Thomson

* 27 McCulloch

* 19 Darcheville