The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking at names I recognise from Fiorentina here:

Frey is the keeper, think he's a bit like Wiese in the idea of can have bad/good days

Gamberini is one of the defenders I recognise, with Kroldrup

midfielders are ones like Liverani, Montolivo, Jorgensen and Santana

strikers include Mutu, Pazzini and one Christian Vieri (although I'm not sure if he plays as much now)

going to be a tough game in both legs, Carlos and Davie Weir will have to keep Pazzini/Mutu quiet and the midfield will have to win that battle. Without Baz and Thomson in the first leg could be bad news

ah well, might get a chance at the ultimate revenge on Bayern in the Final for what happened in 1999 icon_cool.gif

we don't forget Kahn and the diving antics of the team icon_mad.gif

although I expect Toni will dive cause he's a big fairy

Originally posted by TM:

ah well, might get a chance at the ultimate revenge on Bayern in the Final for what happened in 1999 icon_cool.gif

we don't forget Kahn and the diving antics of the team icon_mad.gif

although I expect Toni will dive cause he's a big fairy

And also revenge for the 1967 Cup Winners Cup Final. Would rather have Bayern than Getafe any as we do rubbish against Spanish side, but it will be wee Dick's team in the final, it's fated icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Just had to post this, from 606. Made my day!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">comment by celtmarshall

posted 19 Hours Ago

sporting to win 2-0 then rangers out of european football again not the champs league uefa cup lol you have no chance winning the uefa cup you are not that good a side you just sit back like you have done all season enjoy this season the tide is turning a new begining is away to happen at celtic keanooo coming home next season with lennon with lots of money from the board miles ahead of rangers who have no money and are deep in debt claiming to build a 70 million pound new stadium lol lol biggrin wake up and continue to sign old men and has beens hail hail come on sporting

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

Always wondered what Stan petrov did when he wasn't posting in here and the Celtc thread. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yours was the first name that came into my head. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought they'd changed the rules so away goals don't count in ET

if they haven't then they should. So unfair that 1 team gets half an hour longer to get away goals imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other team gets an extra 30 minutes, and possibly penalties, with home advantage.

Toni was even more of a twat than usual tonight.

This has to be one of the greatest nights in my time. Wasn't best performance or result that i have seen, dont get me wrong. But reaching the semi finals of UEFA cup is one of best achievements i have seen and i really didn't see it coming

• SI Staff

Average team progress to the semi-finals with a fluke win over Sporting Lisbon after employing dirty anti-football tactics icon_wink.gif

I thought overall we were excellent tonight. Darcheville especially worked hard. Was disappointed with Hemdani. Was way off the boil tonight. Whittaker was a strange one. His passing was terrible but his blocking was fantastic and he took his goal very well even though probably everyone on the planet was shouting him to pass. icon_biggrin.gif

Magnificent. Some of the scarves and banners were funny as well icon_biggrin.gif

My TV must have been broken for the first half - that couldn't have been dull, boring, anti-football Rangers casually passing the ball around, could it?

icon_biggrin.gif

The perfect away performance, and hopefully one that will shut the 4-5-1 critics up for good. When you're playing at home first, the most important thing you can do is keep a clean sheet - scoring goals is secondary.

Ferguson just arrogantly keeping himself rested for the OF game on the 27th - though it was a stupid booking.

Wow, did not see that performance coming. What spirit and fight that team had out there, battled for every bit of luck that came our way. We really are a great away side.

If Cuellar had a poor game by his standards on Sunday, tonight, I think, might be defined as atonement. Even if we don't keep him beyond the summer, what a ****ing awesome contribution this year. Thompson and Davis were superb too.

Originally posted by matty_8:

This has to be one of the greatest nights in my time. Wasn't best performance or result that i have seen, dont get me wrong. But reaching the semi finals of UEFA cup is one of best achievements i have seen and i really didn't see it coming

Not the best performance?

It was the perfect away performance - outplay them first half, get the crowd restless, get the opposition flustered, let them lose their shape as they chase the game and hit them on the counter.

Better than the Lyon game, where our goal led a bit of a charmed existence. A couple of headers aside, they didn't look like coming close to scoring - aside from the goals, we created the 2 most clear cut chances.

This has to be one of the greatest nights in my time

have to say that getting to the UEFA Cup Semis is probably the proudest thing I've witnessed as a Rangers fan tbh

I suffered through the CL run in 1993, that night against CSKA Moscow when the ball just wouldn't go into the net icon_mad.gif but there was plenty of joy in that run as well and even if we don't make the final in Manchester, this has been a stunning European run which we can all be proud of - pretty much most of the squad from Scotland as well icon_smile.gif

IF we went on to take everything this year and that is a big IF, I'd contact UEFA and FIFA to cancel football permenantly I think, surely nothing could be better than a season with a domestic treble AND the UEFA Cup in the trophy room icon_biggrin.gif obviously the CL is probably the other thing, but seriously I don't think you could top that

we won't do it, but you can dream icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Not the best performance?

It was the perfect away performance - outplay them first half, get the crowd restless, get the opposition flustered, let them lose their shape as they chase the game and hit them on the counter.

Better than the Lyon game, where our goal led a bit of a charmed existence. A couple of headers aside, they didn't look like coming close to scoring - aside from the goals, we created the 2 most clear cut chances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just holding back incase someone came up with a performance against celtic a few years ago or something and struck me down, as usually happens here in OTF.

Was great to watch us play away and actually play football a bit. Great night

Originally posted by TM:

obviously the CL is probably the other thing, but seriously I don't think you could top that

we won't do it, but you can dream icon_wink.gif

Hey, if i had said we could go this far during PLG era last year, i would have been laughed at. You never know, next year we could sign the unhappy Ronaldinho and become a CL force icon_wink.gif

Sounds good, might check out the highlights of the Rangers match tomorrow - too tired tonight, and the Bayern match made me feel even more exhausted. TBH Bayern hardly ever looked as they were REALLY into this season's UEFA cup, and the two Getafe matches are another very good example of that.

Anyhoo, I can only hope that what happened tonight made them finally realize that you can't win a competition like this just by showing up. Assuming they really WANT to win this bloody cup, that is. Otherwise, a possible Rangers FC - Bayern München final is well on course still. icon_cool.gif

I thought we were as good tonight as were utter pish in the 1st leg. I still feel we need to practice set pieces much more, they are dire at times, its utter schoolboy stuff at times. Sometimes we gave the ball away too easily, and it seemed we play a bit too close together at times but when it comes good, it really does come good.

The first goal was a classic counter-attacking sucker punch and the second I really thought Whittaker was blowing it! Actually thought Cousin's effort just before that was in too. I won't say what my reaction was icon_wink.gif

Some negatives: Hemdani - He really has lost something. As Gary says, probably not playing week in week out can't be helping, but he really doesn't look the player he was. Broadfoot still makes too many mistakes for me, and as for McCulloch well really I simply cannot fathom why he plays and wtf was that idiot action with the keeper about?

Positives: Steve Davis I thought started the match quite poorly, but came onto a good game and in the end was quite superb. Was really pleased for JCD with the goal, he put in a power of work and did very well considering. Barry was a lot better tonight than I've seen him for a while, although still looking obviously far from 100% fit. Bit hats off to Christian Dailly, he was superb and tbh I never really noticed Weir was missing.

The Bookings: Well if you're going to get booked and miss a match, it's probably as well you miss the 1st leg of the Semi so not overly disappointed and it give Barry and Kevin a rest icon_biggrin.gif

Overall I'm utterly ecstatic at what we've done tonight, it's been a hell of a long time coming - I was eight years old last time we got this far in Europe (Not counting 1993 because that was a strange set up) - and it just doesn't seem real. People will think this is crazy, but we can win this now. We certainly have as much chance as anyone and although Fiore are a good team, we have a chance. I would happily lose to Partick on Sunday, if it meant a place in the UEFA Cup Final. (Equally I'll be happy to have both icon_wink.gif)

Guest sav112

Great to hear it over and over on the Radio and TV, god you would think we had won it….great media all the same and great advert for the Club.

icon14.gif

Even gaz did not see this coming... icon_wink.gif

Guest sav112

Oh aye I put Walter Walter give us a Smile in my location under my name when he came in last season….- Ok Walter you’ve done it…… icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

It's just a pity Fiorentina don't play in green and grey or we could book our tickets to Manchester already icon_wink.gif

indeed, the run is ending next icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is green in the Italian flag icon_wink.gif

SUN 13 APR: Partick Thistle (A) – Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

WED 16 APR: Celtic (A) - SPL

SUN 20 APR: St Johnstone (N) – Scottish Cup Semi Final

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

WED 21 MAY: FREE

SAT 24 MAY: Scottish Cup Final

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

I really hope we beat Celtic next week, because if that match on the 27th means anything I might just have a heart attack with such a week icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

If we go through in the Scottish Cup then we're going to have to play a few games in a week, possibly even twice unless they schedule one for 21st May. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

I really hope we beat Celtic next week, because if that match on the 27th means anything I might just have a heart attack with such a week icon_biggrin.gif

I have a ticket to the game on the 27th. It's smack bang in the middle of me and my mate's double birthday celebration - and if we win on the 16th, and Celtic lose to either Motherwell or Aberdeen, we could potentially win the league there.

What a week that could be. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

If we go through in the Scottish Cup then we're going to have to play a few games in a week, possibly even twice unless they schedule one for 21st May. icon_biggrin.gif

Be unlikely to schedule a game midweek before the Cup final. Then again, if they did we could just put out a reserve side. Possibly play the final game the Weds after the Cup Final, really don't see why we should have to play four games in a week. This isn't FM you know icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

St Mirren already going on about most of their players unable to play games after the season's due end as they've booked holidays

Motherwell seem to be a bit tetchy as well as they want to win the 3rd spot and Europe

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

If (and it's still a big if) we win the next 2 OF games, the league wil be all over bar the shouting - so we can play Monday Tuesday Wednesday for all I care.

Well yeah, the quicker we sew up the title the better then just play the youths in the remaining league games and concentrate on the UEFA Final.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

how the hell are you gonna manage to keep the squad fit with that amount of games coming up icon_biggrin.gif

anyway well done tonight, didnt expect rangers to go through. no doubt ill wind a few of the celtic lads at work tom about it drives em mad icon_biggrin.gif

Apart from the obvious scheduling difficulties, tonight was probably as big a boost to our league prospects as we could have hoped for. Players will be desperate for involvement in the semis and confidence will be high. Definitely feel more positive about things than a couple of days ago. What a night!

Originally posted by Dying Dougs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

how the hell are you gonna manage to keep the squad fit with that amount of games coming up icon_biggrin.gif

anyway well done tonight, didnt expect rangers to go through. no doubt ill wind a few of the celtic lads at work tom about it drives em mad icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to think the Scottish Cup games will take care of themselves, though I'm taking nothing for granted - and as I've said, win the 2 against Celtic, and the league's all over bar the shouting. We can then rest players, keeping them fresh for our assault on the UEFA Cup.

Archived