The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Aye, we rode our luck a wee bit with a few Sporting headers just missing the target. The sheer volume of set-pieces (and their quality) meant they'd get these chances though. On another night they could have scored a couple but, to be fair, so could we have.

These kind of games are difficult to analyse effectively. Obviously Sporting probably had more territorial play and shots but we defended stoutly, kept the ball pretty well and took our goals perfectly.

Ferguson and Thomson will be missed in the next game but I'm not too bothered about that. Ferguson hasn't played that great for a while now and we coped well enough when Thommo was injured. We should be able to stick Dailly back into midfield, push Davis inside and go with Novo/Whittaker on the right - essentially keeping the same system easily enough.

Meanwhile Thomson and Ferguson both get a rest for the domestic games. It's all good... icon_smile.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say that this run is getting downright silly now icon_biggrin.gif

This team, as individuals, have no right to be this far in the UEFA Cup but it just shows how amazing Walter Smith is at getting the best out of Rangers by getting them to play for each other.

McCoist's reaction for the goal was just superb icon_biggrin.gif

Thought Hemdani was shocking last night, maybe it's down to match practice but I haven't really rated him since he's come here tbh. His first touch was useless all night.

Broadfoot again didn't do himself any favours by being utter mince. He can't defend (how many times did we see Davis having to track back last night?), he can't make runs and he can't pass. Complete opposite of Hutton. He should be out the door ASAP.

As for the commentary... well I watched both legs on STV, more out of habit than anything else I suppose, but I did flick over to ITV4 at times, and the highlights late on used ITV4 and as a few of you have said, it really was night and day.

I've never rated the "pundits" or presenters on STV, they sound so depressing whenever they open their gobs, there is never any enthusiasm in their voices although I will say in their defence that I thought it was really stupid to do two different shows with different people for the same match on the same network.

All the money was given to the ITV4 lot, leaving STV stuck in a studio in Glasgow giving us their usual **** poor presentation that we have seen every week on Scotsport. I felt STV got a raw deal there. It's a Scottish team - let the Scottish side of the channel deal with it all. Or just give us the ITV4 lot and get rid of the STV show altogether.

Archie did come out with a belter last night though... "We don't know how long this 4 minutes of stoppage time will last" icon_biggrin.gif

I like Archie, he's funny. Don't mind the STV commentry team but just will not watch their pre-ht-post match crap. The ITV pregame coverage has been superb, and at least these guys give a fair and unbiased opinion.

It's still gonna take a little while to sink in, but just remember - we've never lost a UEFA Cup Semi Final icon_biggrin.gif

Ok here's just a few wee comments from earlier in the season to embarrass a few people icon_wink.gif

Hairy coo - If Rangers win the league this coming season I will post pictures of my c0ck and balls.

Jimbo22 - Anyone above Racing Genk could cause us problems in the 3rd round. We are in desperate need of very good first 11 players.

I'm fully expecting to be dissapointed come the start of the season. Espeially if the rumours about Lee McCulloch are true

TM - we could win every game next year by one goal like Celtic were doing in most last year, playing unattractive football and I think most would be happy, goals win games and titles

Ter - You know McCulloch is going to join and be awesome now that just about everyone doesn't want him to join

Coisty - Wattie better get his arse in gear. The Celtic side are starting to look really really good.

Lovenkrands01 - Another player rejecting us. Is that how bad things are nowadays

aaronia - I'm worried about Cuellar, i dont' think he's the answer to our central defense issues.

Peacemaker7 - And yeah quite pleased Cuellar has come he should be a decent player for us.

Vidmar14 - We need some flair in midfield/front Ideally a player lke what we all wanted Buffel to be when he came but it turns out he's built like a 12 year old girl and not as strong.

Lambie's Lovechild - I honestly wish that the squad was stronger, deeper, and more able to compete with Celtic this season. Years back, Murray said that "A strong Rangers needs a Strong Celtic to move the club on". The acquisition of Cuellar and Darcheville, and associated "Squad Players" isnt going to move the club onto the next phase of the Champions League, or win them back the title IMO.

aaronia - I'm worried about Cuellar, i dont' think he's the answer to our central defense issues.
Lambie's Lovechild - I honestly wish that the squad was stronger, deeper, and more able to compete with Celtic this season. Years back, Murray said that "A strong Rangers needs a Strong Celtic to move the club on". The acquisition of Cuellar and Darcheville, and associated "Squad Players" isnt going to move the club onto the next phase of the Champions League, or win them back the title IMO.

Best ones for me icon_biggrin.gif

Another terrific professional job and a couple of cracking goals to go with it. Great result. This team is a testament to the philosophy that an average team filled with good honest club players who are well coached and motivated can outplay a team with lots of superstars. I am not suggesting that the team is only just average but there are certainly no superstars currently playing and that has to be an advantage.

We still need cover at full back, another DC unless Webster is going to fit the bill, a creative midfielder and a 30 goal a season striker

Oh My God. Is all I can say really. Unbelievable. I think I'm slowly but surely developing man love for Steve Davis and King Carlos (already had serious love for Davis but it''s over the egde now) icon_biggrin.gif.

What HD said about set pieces, gave away alot of headers from their set pieces but I suppose it was one of those nights where the ball just doesn't go to your head as a defender.

Steven Ronaldo Whittaker, where the **** did that come from?! I was screaming at him to give it earlier but he made me eat my words.

As for Barry and Thomson picking up the yellows. Barry should have known better and set a better example as captain than being petulent like he was. Still a least it's the home leg first because personally I think we'll sure as hell need them for the away leg.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Another terrific professional job and a couple of cracking goals to go with it. Great result. This team is a testament to the philosophy that an average team filled with good honest club players who are well coached and motivated can outplay a team with lots of superstars. I am not suggesting that the team is only just average but there are certainly no superstars currently playing and that has to be an advantage.

We still need cover at full back, another DC unless Webster is going to fit the bill, a creative midfielder and a 30 goal a season striker

It's ironic really. We could probably all name Rangers teams with far more talent, far more flair, bigger names than the current side. This is far from a perfect team, most of these players would struggle to get into a Rangers all time XI reserve side..... and yet....

You know if they do this, if they go on and lift the title, the Cup and the UEFA then they will become the greatest Rangers side of all time and Walter Smith - who is already a legend - will quite simply have to be crowned King of Scotland and I'm sorry Mr Wallace, you were my greatest hero as a manager, but if Walter pulls this off you are going to have to move over and take 2nd place.

We have, yes we definately have, carried a degree of good luck in this run. But as HD so rightly says you need good luck to be successful. And I like to think that after so many times in the past, when we have been 'unlucky' in Europe that perhaps, finally, we are getting all that back.

So, the question everyone will be asking now - can we do it? Well, it's not going to be easy. Everything points to a Fiore/Bayern Final, the Luca Toni connnection, its fated. BUT lets not forget we have our own dealings with fate and I for one would just love for us to be running out against wee Dick's side in Manchester. And lets face it, there have been other teams, not really any better than ourselves who have been to the Final of this tournament and won it. I honestly believe that no Scottish club has any real hope of ever winning the Champions League - but I see no reason at all we can't win the UEFA.

Of course we still have a lot of matches to play, but reaching this Semi Final I think will have lifted all those players to new heights. We never really expected to be here, but it's like a huge weight has been lifted from shoulders and the players now have nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.

Still think we'll lose to Partick mind.

Does anyone know of any links on youtube or the like with clips of the pre match build up to both Sporting games?

I was watching it in the pub and they only turn the sound up for the match itself, even then it's drowned out by the bears

my quote icon_cool.gif

I remember saying something similar at the start of the season, hoping we'd have some consistency as that's why Celtic had won the last two SPL titles - consistently winning games when we were dropping points and sometimes winning games when they weren't at their best - sometimes called the "mark of Champions" for the commentary cliche

although if you had told me last July that in April 2008 we'd be sitting looking at a UEFA Cup Semi Finals place and potentially looking at a domestic treble, then I'd have been on the phone to the guys in the white suits icon_biggrin.gif

well I did think we could win some domestic silveware, but the UEFA thing would be a huge shock

So is this season a flash in the pan, or could we be genuine contenders again next year in the UEFA Cup?

I think the luck of the draw played a big part in how far we've progressed in Europe this year, we've been lucky to avoid the more skillful teams wheras in previous years we've been dealt those clubs earlier on in the season.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

So is this season a flash in the pan, or could we be genuine contenders again next year in the UEFA Cup?

I think the luck of the draw played a big part in how far we've progressed in Europe this year, we've been lucky to avoid the more skillful teams wheras in previous years we've been dealt those clubs earlier on in the season.

How was getting Werder Bremen in the last 16 lucky?

And to answer your question, in 8 home games in Europe this season we've kept 6 clean sheets.

The defence looks pretty sound, which is always a good basis to start building a team on. With a few higher quality attacking players added, particularly in the wide areas, there's no reason why we can't start turning 0-0 home draws into 2-0 wins.

One massive thing that seems to have been overlooked is that aside from the home game against Werder and the game last night, we've been without our best strikers at full fitness for this entire run. It's no coincidence that when we've started with a fit, sharp Cousin or Darcheville, we've won both games. McCulloch, Novo and Boyd just don't cause defences the same problems those 2 can in the system we play.

think more progress on next year will depend on transfer dealings, in and out of the club

I expect us to have bids for Cuellar this year and it's just a case of if they are substantial enough for Murray to try and "persuade" him to leave. Any cynical person could say "he's only doing well in the SPL, that league is nothing etc" but his performances in the UEFA Cup have been nothing short of sensational this year and it looks like European clubs are picking up on it. I hope the big man is still here next year, but if he's not - hopefully we buy a replacement with the same sort of quality.

We seriously need to buy someone who can take a FK/corner as our setpiece taking is just shambolic, was watching the Zenit game the other day and their corner taking was class. I doubt we'd get Arshavin as he's rated a bit high out of our price budget, but surely there is some gems in the Russian game just ready to be picked up icon14.gif

We've also done quite well away from home.

A lot will depend on who we bring in really. We do need two or three shall we say, better quality players, but not at the expense of the team spirit we have built up and thats always got to be the balance. Of course we won't know if it's a 'flash in the pan' till next season will we, but I think Walter has gained from his experiences and I trust him to lead us to greater glories down the line.

We seriously need to buy someone who can take a FK/corner as our setpiece taking is just shambolic,

Yup this is one thing we really lack, we just don't offer a threat, particularly directly from free kicks. Lot more practice needed, but thats something that can be worked on icon_wink.gif

Salenko was practically bought because of the 5 goals he scored against Cameroon in USA 94 though icon_biggrin.gif

Eastern Europe seems to be the way to go for the bargains nowadays though, as much as he's a tool, Boruc cost Celtic hardly anything and will probably get them a good fee in the summer

at least Salenko scored a few goals, can't mind Kuznetsov doing anything except crocking himself at St Johnstone in his 2nd game icon14.gif

although interestingly Wiki says he scored a goal for us - why do I get this image of him scoring a goal against Celtic at Parkhead? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

We've also done quite well away from home.

I think Frankie mentioned above, but when we're playing on a nice pitch we have players who can control and pass the ball nicely, and the 451 gives us good passing options. Shame all the pitches we play on are not as nice as last nights.

Also can't believe people are criticising Broadfoot, I thought he played well last night icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

at least Salenko scored a few goals, can't mind Kuznetsov doing anything except crocking himself at St Johnstone in his 2nd game icon14.gif

although interestingly Wiki says he scored a goal for us - why do I get this image of him scoring a goal against Celtic at Parkhead? icon_biggrin.gif

Because he did - the 4-2 game, New Year's 1994, ball breaks to him about 30 yards out, chests it up and rifles a dipping volley into the bottom corner to put us 4-1 up.

Incidentally, that game features my favourite moment of Jock Brown commentary - after we go 2-0 up after 4 minutes, on watching the replay - "you could have driven a bus through the Celtic defence"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfJitVzzzak

Speaking of pitches....

Forecast for weekend is more rain. There is also currently a rugby union match being played on the already awful Firhill surface.

Ta-ta SPL game against Celtic on the 27th April if Sunday's match is called off.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Speaking of pitches....

Forecast for weekend is more rain. There is also currently a rugby union match being played on the already awful Firhill surface.

Ta-ta SPL game against Celtic on the 27th April if Sunday's match is called off.

Haha.

Odds on us starting next season before finishing this one must be getting shorter. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, what I came into the thread to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPD67tiPT9Q

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

If we had a Laudrup now to supply crosses and chip in with goals we'd be unbeatable. :PossibleExaggeration:

Laudrup himself, or just a similarly god like player? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A similar type player ofc.

Incidently:

Laudrup now > Burke now icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, a genuinely creative player who can score goals would be pretty nice. But not cheap... icon_wink.gif

4-5-1 has worked very well for us this season and I'd like to think we'll use it again next term when required. However, there's no doubt we lack creativity and quality on occasion. If the likes of Burke, Naismith, Novo or Adam were given 30 games in the team then they'd maybe bring that but for various reasons, none of them are that player - yet.

Obviously, key replacements will depend on who leaves in the summer. If Cuellar moves on, we'll need at least one more centre-half. If McGregor moves on we'll need another goalie. If Davis doesn't sign we'll need at least two more midfielders. If Cousin moves on we'll need at least two more strikers.

What we have to try and avoid is wholesale changes. Can't remember the exact amount but we've brought in around 12 new players in the last 15 months. We can't afford to do that again or we'll lose the momentum we've built up (title win or not). As such, when SDM/WS talks of not buying squad players, and wanting 2 or 3 first XI types, I hope they mean it.

Of course this will also depend on how much we have to spend. The right scouting can get you the right player for a decent price (see CC and DC) but I'd say that's the exception to the rule. To buy a few players that have the quality and consistency to make a genuine difference and take us up a notch, we'll need to spend another £10million.

I'm still not sure we'll do that unless at least one of the names above leaves.

Will be a fascinating summer ahead.

Originally posted by McD:

Just watched the Inverness reserves game. Wasn't great, but Stevie Smith looked good, set up the goal and lots of flashes of his ability. Hopefully not too far from the first team now.

I genuinely hope so. I think he's a great wee player.

In saying that, generally Papac has done pretty well for the last year or so. He's solid enough, dependable in the tackle and when he does go forward he can actually put in a decent cross. However, I really think if Smith can prove his long term fitness he can be the first choice in that position.

I was lucky enough to have Ross Harvey and Steven Kinniburgh sitting next to me at the RST dinner last Saturday night (and Broxi Bear!). Ross kept saying that he felt Kinniburgh was also not far away from pushing hard for a first XI place. So, that's hopefully one less position to worry about long term.

The right hand side is less so. Whittaker and Broadfoot have both done reasonably good there generally speaking. However, neither fill me with too much confidence as the long term solutions. Kirk is honest and never hides but lacks real quality. Whittaker seems more useful on the other flank.

Best thing we can say is neither position is a priority so they can be the next stage of any further rebuilding with a bit of luck.

icon_smile.gif

Broadfoot would do better at centre-half, I think. Still never going to be more than a decent back-up overall. I like him though.

How much of a run has Whittaker had at right back? I don't recall him playing more than two or three matches there consecutively. Might be worth letting him bed in there for a few games and see how he settles. He strikes me very much as a confidence player, but, all things considered, he's the most natural choice for that position in the squad.

I think Whittaker has never played more than one game in a row at right back for us - maybe two but certainly no more than that.

You are correct about him being a confidence player - I actually think he has too much of it! That's why he gets caught on the ball so often and/or loses possession by playing too many cute passes. When he keeps it simple he's much more effective and very useful.

As such, I'd like to see him played at right back for a while now as well. That may not happen this season now but certainly if we don't buy a right back (I doubt we will) I'd imagine he'll return there for next season.

So, if we keep the first XI as it is, then we're looking at the following main signings:

1. Steven Davis (hopefully will be replacement for Ferguson long term).

2. Attacking midfielder (someone in the Feindouno mould).

3. Striker or Centre-half

Archived