The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

I'd quite like us to sign Petri Pasanen from Werder. He seems a big, strong defender that would be suited to our game. Obviously, whether he would come to Scotland would be another story.

Failing that, perhaps Ãlvaro Mejía from Real Murcia. He's not the tallest of defenders but is a good ball player. He's about the same age as King Carlos, plays in the Second Division so we could probably nick him for 1-2 million. He'd probably jump at the chance. He's played in the Champs League for Real Madrid a few times.

Maybe Feyernoord will let Kevin Hofland go? I'd quite fancy him. Saying that, I know Walter will end up signing people like Oguchi Onyewu and Jay McEveley. icon_frown.gif

Anyways, just throwing some names out there for us to think about.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy enough with Weir and Dailly but I guess a new centre-half would be agreeable - a necessity if Cuellar does move on.

I liked the Brazilian guy from Sporting (Podolga) and the other guy (Tonel) as well. They defended pretty well for the most part and I'd be interested in their availability. Worked last year with Osasuna. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Dont worry folks Lovenkrands is on the way back icon_wink.gif

is he? icon_confused.gif I've seen rumours on FF but that's not exactly anything concrete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take him in a second. The lad was lethal when playing in the right position. He'd be great in our negative football formation.

I've nothing concrete myself, Just a friend who works in Real Estate and his company is currently dealing with an aquisition for Peter. Again it's probably nothing as apparently Lovenkrands owns a few property's in Scotland but this one has been made a "High Priority"

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Dont worry folks Lovenkrands is on the way back icon_wink.gif

is he? icon_confused.gif I've seen rumours on FF but that's not exactly anything concrete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take him in a second. The lad was lethal when playing in the right position. He'd be great in our negative football formation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No he wouldn't.

Lovenkrands' most productive spell at Rangers came when he was playing with Buffel just off him - a player who on a day can cut defences apart with incisive passes. Lovenkrands' game is all about pace - play on the shoulder, run onto through ball, finish.

He doesn't posess the attributes needed for the lone striker's role in the formation we play - strength, arial ability, and the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Yeah Lovenkrands is not the answer to the lone striker role. I'm a big fan of having power and pace up front and he'd probably excel with someone like Cousin, Darche beside him but I can't see Walter returning to 2 up so in that way bringing Lovenkrands back would be a waste.

Mejía isn't that bad, and even though he is a central defender, he's played right back and holding mid lately.

Anyway, the actual reason I came in here was to deliver you the news of Carlos Cuéllar not being included in the preliminary Euro squad.

not a surprise as it pretty much happens to every player we've had in the last 10 years

despite the guy performing in the CL (against Barcelona as well) and the UEFA Cup, Spain obviously have good enough defenders to fail at the Euros again in June icon_cool.gif

keeping davis must be a priority. quite a few slack passes the other night, but overall his performnces have been quality and defintely adds something different to the team.

i liked lovenkrands but wouldn't want him back. he wouldnt fit in.

if we are going to get another centre-half it has to be a quality signing. weir and dailly both good players an have put in what th team has needed but we need anoter defender in a similar position to cuellar - mid 20's experienced, with a bit of pace, and the ability to read the game. especially if big carlos goes. we have to match the quality we have and improve.

still say we have plenty of attacking options and would only want aother striker if he is better than what we already have.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Who's not to say we could have a Buffel type player playing behind him then?

At the expense of who? Ferguson? Davis? Thomson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hemdani

• SI Staff

Anyone think we should rest our players in the Scottish Cup and give fringe players their chance now that both Aberdeen and Celtic are out and the only other possible winners (if it's not us) are Queen Of The South, St Johnstone or Partick Thistle? icon_biggrin.gif

to be honest and yeah it might be disrespectful, but I don't really care about the Scottish Cup icon_biggrin.gif

the SPL title is so much more important and QOTS/St Johnstone or Partick can have it as far as I'm concerned. Although we are greedy, so I wouldn't say no to a domestic treble

• SI Staff
Defo should give the likes of Burke, Boyd, Naisy, Faye (is he still with us Big Grin), Webster, Whittaker, Cousin, and so on a game, rest the 451 squad.

Agree. Apart from Faye. No way should he be playing for us again. Would be much better off playing Dean Furman who possibly has a future at the club.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Defo should give the likes of Burke, Boyd, Naisy, Faye (is he still with us icon_biggrin.gif), Webster, Whittaker, Cousin, and so on a game, rest the 451 squad.

Makes sense to give them a game or two and they should be strong enough to beat whoever they meet in the Scottish cup.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Rangers in the Uefa Semis

Cumnock in the Scottish Junior Cup final

Aberdeen humped by the Doonhamers

\o/ What a week

a Motherwell win would just top it all off, although I expect Celtic will get the win they need

Greetings from NZ!

I have been trying to keep myself up to date with things where possible. I just saw the Queens score! icon_biggrin.gif

Must have been a good performance to get past Sporting and we have a very good chance of getting to the final. Also, its good to see we have moved a bit further ahead in the league.

This could be a very memorable season for us! icon14.gif

Originally posted by TM:

to be honest and yeah it might be disrespectful, but I don't really care about the Scottish Cup icon_biggrin.gif

the SPL title is so much more important and QOTS/St Johnstone or Partick can have it as far as I'm concerned. Although we are greedy, so I wouldn't say no to a domestic treble

We haven't won the Scottish Cup in 5 years.

OK, at the end of the day, it's 3rd in our list of priorities, but given that I'd gotten quite used to winning the season closer at Hampden, on a beautiful spring day, it's a trophy I want back.

Also, it's the only domestic trophy we trail in to Celtic. I want that rectified.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

OK, at the end of the day, it's 3rd in our list of priorities, but given that I'd gotten quite used to winning the season closer at Hampden, on a beautiful spring day, it's a trophy I want back.

Also, it's the only domestic trophy we trail in to Celtic. I want that rectified. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The feeling on Scottish Cup final day is brilliant if Rangers are involved.

It might be low on our priorities, but with the 3 other teams left in it, i'll be miffed if we dont pick it up, even with the schedule we have.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Doesn't need an explanation so a simple NO will suffice.

Really?

In terms of the football we play, you're quite obviously correct. Advocaat's team was a joy to watch at it's peak.

However, if 8 years ago we'd beaten a team like Lyon 3-0 away from home in the CL, we'd still be wnking over it now. Memory is quite possibly playing tricks on me, I was only 13-15 years old when Advocaat's team was at it's peak and maybe wasn't capable of appreciating quite what we had, but the performance the other night was the most complete away performance I've ever seen from a Rangers side in Europe.

This squad isn't given nearly enough credit. In 10 years time, I'm pretty confident that this squad will be the reference point by which Rangers teams are judged - much the same as O'Neill's Seville-era team (2001-2004) will be judged by Celtic fans. For all the pretty football played by Advocaat's side at it's peak, the same cannot be said of his side.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Who's not to say we could have a Buffel type player playing behind him then?

At the expense of who? Ferguson? Davis? Thomson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hemdani </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our strongest central trio is any 3 from Thomson, Davis, Hemdani and Ferguson.

Ferguson/Thomson and Ferguson/Hemdani don't work as a 2. If Buffel was to play in the "just off the strikers role" then IMO our best partnership behind them is Thomson and Hemdani, which just won't happen.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Also, it's the only domestic trophy we trail in to Celtic. I want that rectified. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The feeling on Scottish Cup final day is brilliant if Rangers are involved.

It might be low on our priorities, but with the 3 other teams left in it, i'll be miffed if we dont pick it up, even with the schedule we have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus, our domestic superiority is really rammed home by winning a treble.

Considering were a worse overall team (apparently) than the Mhanky mhob, a treble for us would get it right up them icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Considering were a worse overall team (apparently) than the Mhanky mhob, a treble for us would get it right up them icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

quadruple would be so much nicer icon_wink.gif and I was talking in terms of prorities earlier, I'd definitely take a domestic treble if we could get it - but I wouldn't sacrifice the SPL title for the Scottish Cup.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

quadruple would be so much nicer icon_wink.gif and I was talking in terms of prorities earlier, I'd definitely take a domestic treble if we could get it - but I wouldn't sacrifice the SPL title for the Scottish Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor would I - but at the same time, I'm more desperate to win the Scottish Cup than the SPL - if that makes any sense whatsoever, because it sure as hell doesn't in my head.

Archived