The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TM:

it doesn't, but I sort of get what you are saying. In reference to Celtic being ahead in SC wins

It's not just that - there's a multitude of factors which are only now coming together in my head.

1. Celtic have won it more than us. This rankles - to win more league titles, they'd have to win this season, then win 10 more on the spin. To win more League Cups, they'd have to win the next 13. To win more domestic silverware, they'd have to win the league, then win 8 trebles in a row. That's how far ahead of them we are - the fact they're the most successful team in the Scottish Cup doesn't sit right.

2. We've not won said competition in 5 years - we haven't even come close since. Should we progress against Partick Thistle, it'll be the first time we've been at Hampden to play a Scottish Cup tie since Lorenzo's header in 2003 - I was sitting my Highers at the time ffs.

3. For a Rangers fan of my generation (born in 1985), it's what the Scottish Cup represents. The last time the SC was our only silverware of the season was 1981. In my lifetime, the Scottish Cup has represented one of two things - a great end to a successful season, or the last chance at silverware blown. Ok, in 2001/02, we didn't win the league, but watching the team parade the cup afterwards, I just knew we'd win the league the following season.

4. It's the final leg of a domestic treble. Beating QoS in May would be the perfect end to a perfect season.

The above reasons mean I desperately want to be cheering us at Hampden in May. Domestically, I want the title above all else...but I am desperate to win the Scottish Cup again.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Plus, our domestic superiority is really rammed home by winning a treble.

Considering were a worse overall team (apparently) than the Mhanky mhob, a treble for us would get it right up them icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

succeeding where martin o'neills bestestestestestest scottish team eva failed - by winning all four would be even better on the GIRFUY scale tbh.

This squad isn't given nearly enough credit. In 10 years time, I'm pretty confident that this squad will be the reference point by which Rangers teams are judged - much the same as O'Neill's Seville-era team (2001-2004) will be judged by Celtic fans. For all the pretty football played by Advocaat's side at it's peak, the same cannot be said of his side.

Footballing wise - in terms of sheer quality on the park, of technique and whatever else - Advocaat's side is possibly the best Rangers side I've ever seen. (My opinion is that the greatest Rangers sides of all time were in the 1930's and early 1960's but I wasn't quite born then icon_wink.gif Some of the stuff we played in those days was breathtaking. BUT at the end of the day, his sides do not begin to compare with the 1992-093 side of Walter's and the current side of Walters because he had a lot more cash to spend than Walter for a start and really should have delivered at very worst a UEFA Cup Semi. (I know we can argue about back luck etc etc, but you make your own luck and the thing this squad and Walter's other squad had that Advocaats perhaps didn't - the thing that sets them apart perhaps - is the refusal to just lie down and lose. Somehow I can't have seen Advocaat's side come back from 2-0 against Marseille.)

As I said earlier, if this teams pulls off everything it can this season, they will become the greatest Rangers team of all time, because at the end of the day, it's what you win that counts, not what you might have won.

As much as it would be amazing to see QOS win the cup, don't get me wrong, I want that cup, the league and the UEFA. And lets face it, no offence to the sides left but if we can't put a reserve side out in this competition now and win it, then the reserve side should be sacked.

Like the other Rangers guys here who are bit older shall we say, I've waited a long time for a season like this. It might never come again, and I want us to win everything we possibly can. Part of the problem is, particularly regards the domestic treble, that whilst I would rate the UEFA now above both league and cup, we are in such a position that NOT to win the league and cup would actually be a bit of a disaster icon_biggrin.gif

We're so close to completely eclipsing what O'Neil did for Celtic when they got to the UEFA Cup final. Celtic won nothing that year whereas we've already got one trophy in the bag and look favourites for the other two domestic ones.

I don't think we should be prioritising the UEFA Cup over the Scottish Cup. We want a treble - to prove that we are the best bar none, anything else is just a huge bonus.

For me, if we won the UEFA Cup, SPL and LC, the Scottish Cup would also be a blip on a perfect season. Win the SPL, LC and SC, and get no further in the UEFA Cup (or reach the final) then I'd consider that more successful.

Although I don't know why tbh icon_biggrin.gif Just feels more successful.

Guest sav112

UEFA Cup has been an added bonus but priceless as it’s done more for morale of the squad and individual players, who would not enjoy paying for Rangers just now.

Celtic are not happy campers, division between players and an arrogant Manager that no one can live with.

If the Well win today there Could be a riot.

Back to the gers I hope a few get a run out and make a point, plus Ally is Manager for the cups.

Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Considering were a worse overall team (apparently) than the Mhanky mhob, a treble for us would get it right up them icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

succeeding where martin o'neills bestestestestestest scottish team eva failed - by winning all four would be even better on the GIRFUY scale tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get back to us when you win 5 in a season.

I don't think we should be prioritising the UEFA Cup over the Scottish Cup. We want a treble - to prove that we are the best bar none, anything else is just a huge bonus.

Nah. I can see where Ginger is coming from, but we can win the Scottish Cup anytime really. We don't get many chances to win a European trophy and for me anyway, it's far more important.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

succeeding where martin o'neills bestestestestestest scottish team eva failed - by winning all four would be even better on the GIRFUY scale tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get back to us when you win 5 in a season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get back to us when you can actually remember it and not something that happened a million years before you were born. Oh and once you have that 50th title, your grandchildren can post about it for you icon14.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think we should be prioritising the UEFA Cup over the Scottish Cup. We want a treble - to prove that we are the best bar none, anything else is just a huge bonus.

Nah. I can see where Ginger is coming from, but we can win the Scottish Cup anytime really. We don't get many chances to win a European trophy and for me anyway, it's far more important. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point is though, that in the last 5 years, we haven't.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think we should be prioritising the UEFA Cup over the Scottish Cup. We want a treble - to prove that we are the best bar none, anything else is just a huge bonus.

Nah. I can see where Ginger is coming from, but we can win the Scottish Cup anytime really. We don't get many chances to win a European trophy and for me anyway, it's far more important. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point is though, that in the last 5 years, we haven't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We haven't won a European trophy for 36. Kinda trumps that by a huge margin.

Just thought i'd drop my gaurd a wee bit and congradulate yous on making it tae the semi's eh the Uefa.

Yee'z hav been **** hot at times this season and youse deserve your wee bit a success.

Still tho, next year wae Neil Lennon as the manager, were taking our Title back!

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Doesn't need an explanation so a simple NO will suffice.

Really?

In terms of the football we play, you're quite obviously correct. Advocaat's team was a joy to watch at it's peak.

However, if 8 years ago we'd beaten a team like Lyon 3-0 away from home in the CL, we'd still be wnking over it now. Memory is quite possibly playing tricks on me, I was only 13-15 years old when Advocaat's team was at it's peak and maybe wasn't capable of appreciating quite what we had, but the performance the other night was the most complete away performance I've ever seen from a Rangers side in Europe.

This squad isn't given nearly enough credit. In 10 years time, I'm pretty confident that this squad will be the reference point by which Rangers teams are judged - much the same as O'Neill's Seville-era team (2001-2004) will be judged by Celtic fans. For all the pretty football played by Advocaat's side at it's peak, the same cannot be said of his side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was taking the question for what it was, We had nearly man for man better players back then and played better football. What we don't have now in individual technique we make up for in tactical nous and a collective spirit.... Now if only we could combine the lot icon_biggrin.gif

Get back to us when you can actually remember it and not something that happened a million years before you were born. Oh and once you have that 50th title, your grandchildren can post about it for you icon14.gif

I can't bring up 1967, but you can rattle off 50 title stat....the first one being won over a hundred years ago icon_biggrin.gif

Logic is'nt your strong point is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Logic is'nt your strong point is it?

A lot stronger yours tbh, but thats hardly a stunner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore the point and try and turn it on me...deflect and deny, the peacemaker way.

Best pop me back on that ignore list. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Logic is'nt your strong point is it?

A lot stronger yours tbh, but thats hardly a stunner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore the point and try and turn it on me...deflect and deny, the peacemaker way.

Best pop me back on that ignore list. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry you're still on it.

I never deny or deflect anything kid, thats your way of doing things, just ask Frankie.

Anyway, more important things to worry about than your kind, enjoy your trophyless season. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

This on the radio I take it?

You can probably listen to it online? No idea about proper oldfashioned radio, don't got one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Radio link:

mms://a1700.l609521699.c6095.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1700/6095/v0001/reflector:21699

Mcgregor with awesome save then.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

So the rumours today? Love teh Sunday papers heh.

McGregor > Spurs

Boyd > Man Citeh

Not really bothered if Boyd goes tbh

Boyd, would be better going. I like him but he simply doesnt fit into this system and its a shame as he can score goals.

Unless the system is changed, Boyd isnt going to work.

god sake, can't Rangers please have a good radio station that doesn't take it's feed from Radio Clyde icon_mad.gif

Darryl King and the commentator are fine, but having to listen to that odious arse Guidi on a Rangers commentary icon_rolleyes.gif well I think it's him, sounds like him anyway

BBC has a radio feed. Listen to that icon14.gif

I'd keep Boyd. Perhaps if Walter gets this cash he was promised he'll change his formation - he's already said he doesn't like 4-5-1 but with the players w've got, it kind of forces him to play it. This says to me that next year we'll hopefully go with 2 up front and there aren't many better goal-scorers out there than Boyd.

refuse to listen to Radio Scotland as it's full of sheep like Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds.

Yeah I know Billy used to play for us, but he just seems to have a massive problem with us now and it's just embarassing listening to him on the radio. Wouldn't be surprised if he and the sheep Gordon didn't have anything good to say about the game in Lisbon on Thursday icon14.gif

Archived