The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

From followfollow:

Will MCC come out and admit they ignored advice on numbers traveling and failed to take steps to cater for them.

1) Nowhere near enough toilets ( fail )

2) No food tents ( fail )

3) Bins overflowing in the morning ( fail )

4) Will they admit it we were penned into zones far too small inside the city for the sake of economic greed rather than using a green field site outside the city? ( fail )

5) Not taking steps to ensure extra buses/trains are provided after the game to make sure people get home safely and tempers don't get tested. ( fail )

6) Understaffed and poorly trained security at the Zones ( Although most tried there best) ( fail )

7) Waiting until kick off or after to tell people the game would not be shown at that venue ( Piccadilly) ( fail )

8) If the Velodrome was always a contingency plan why were the fans NOT informed of this earlier and why was it not/poorly signposted. ( fail )

9) Buses to the Velodrome? Where were they and do you expect good people who were trying to escape the carnage to find something they knew nothing about? ( fail )

Will GMP come out and admit they too did not manage the numbers well and added to their own problems if not caused them?

10) Did their intelligence know there was a thug element from English clubs going to make their presence felt? If so why were steps not taken to help lessen the impact?

11) Why after telling people who had waited all day in Piccadilly to see Rangers that the game would not be shown, let their riot mob lay into everyone and anyone who was leaving to find alternative arrangements to see the game?

12) We have freely admitted that some of the people who traveled in the name of Rangers were scum yes? So why are we now seeing ( not from media outlets I have to add ) footage of good people approaching riot police with hands held up in a non threatening manner trying to reason for calm being beaten to the ground?

13) Is normal for " Light touch Policing " to include hitting elderly or people on crutches?

Panic Policing at best and incompetence at the the other end of the scale.

I have to say the ordinary bobby's during the day and early evening were immense and were very tolerant. They were good natured and lots posed for pictures. The riot mob though are nothing short of thugs in uniform

Having directly experienced points 1-6, I can't disagree with much of this post - in particular the part in bold. The only indication I had of trouble was riot police bombing past us heading back to Manchester City Centre from the ground - and they were lucky to avoid any casualties, the way they were acting in Eastlands.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, the worst thing.

There was some cracking banter in an area of parkland about 10 minutes walk away from the ground - Rangers and Zenit fans mingled, had a good time, Zenit fans marched towards the ground and sang songs, we took photos and sang songs back (You're Only Here to see The Rangers being a highlight), in the ground the Zenit fans did their version of the bouncy, only for 35,000 of us to respond with a bouncy of our own...all of which should be highlights.

All ruined by some of the videos I've seen of the aftermath. icon_frown.gif

WP scumbags.

Further details of the 11 people charged following disturbances after the Uefa Cup Final in Manchester on Wednesdayhave been released by police.

George Dallas, aged 22, of Kempsthorn Crescent, Glasgow was charged with assault. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

Andrew Hamilton, aged 18, of Whitevale Street, Glasgow was charged with being drunk in a sports ground. He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates Court at a later date.

advertisement

Grant Robertson, aged 21, of Sheildhall Road, Glasgow was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates Court at a later date.

Craig Bryson, aged 27, of Stobie Place, Dunfirmline was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates Court at a later date.

Bryan Reid, aged 37, of no fixed abode was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

Stewart McCardle, aged 28, of Rydal Place, Glasgow was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

Anthony McCartney, aged 29, of Marta Place, Glasgow was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates Court at a later date.

Phillip O'Donnell, aged 27, of no fixed abode was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with throwing out a missile. He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates Court at a later date.

A 15-year-old boy was charged with a section 5 public order offence. He appeared before Manchester City Magistrates Court yesterday.

What's a section five public order offence?

Ginger, just looking at some of the video's particularly the one where the copper got isolated and beaten, it would appear the riot police chappies panicked and lost control. Isolating a colleague like that is unforgivable, and I would have thought if you were on the riot police you would have been trained to deal with angry mobs - hence the term riot police?

And at the end of the day, it's easier simply to blame the fans 100% and refuse to take some responsibility yourself. Allowing people to drink all day in such a situation - and then if the screen was actually turned off on purpose as seems likely given the reports coming out - that's really just asking for trouble.

None of this excuses the scum element of course, who were probably just waiting for an excuse to fight, but then you don't give them that excuse.

I wasn't overly bothered at losing - a little bit dissapointed obviously - this whole UEFA Cup run was wonderful, one of the best things in football club wise for me, and it's all totally ruined now. I honestly wish we'd never even got to the ****ing final and if we do next year I hope the venue is Siberia.

Interesting that there is no sign of the English casuals in the first list of arrested people.

Section 5 Public Order is the English equivalent of the Scottish Breach of the Peace.- a catch all charge where there is nothing more specific to charge them with.

Anyone starting to think that we have a fairly important match today that no-one appears to be thinking of?

• SI Staff
I wasn't overly bothered at losing - a little bit dissapointed obviously - this whole UEFA Cup run was wonderful, one of the best things in football club wise for me, and it's all totally ruined now. I honestly wish we'd never even got to the ****ing final and if we do next year I hope the venue is Siberia.

It's in Istanbul icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by GingerFurball:

From followfollow:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Will MCC come out and admit they ignored advice on numbers traveling and failed to take steps to cater for them.

1) Nowhere near enough toilets ( fail )

2) No food tents ( fail )

3) Bins overflowing in the morning ( fail )

4) Will they admit it we were penned into zones far too small inside the city for the sake of economic greed rather than using a green field site outside the city? ( fail )

5) Not taking steps to ensure extra buses/trains are provided after the game to make sure people get home safely and tempers don't get tested. ( fail )

6) Understaffed and poorly trained security at the Zones ( Although most tried there best) ( fail )

7) Waiting until kick off or after to tell people the game would not be shown at that venue ( Piccadilly) ( fail )

8) If the Velodrome was always a contingency plan why were the fans NOT informed of this earlier and why was it not/poorly signposted. ( fail )

9) Buses to the Velodrome? Where were they and do you expect good people who were trying to escape the carnage to find something they knew nothing about? ( fail )

Will GMP come out and admit they too did not manage the numbers well and added to their own problems if not caused them?

10) Did their intelligence know there was a thug element from English clubs going to make their presence felt? If so why were steps not taken to help lessen the impact?

11) Why after telling people who had waited all day in Piccadilly to see Rangers that the game would not be shown, let their riot mob lay into everyone and anyone who was leaving to find alternative arrangements to see the game?

12) We have freely admitted that some of the people who traveled in the name of Rangers were scum yes? So why are we now seeing ( not from media outlets I have to add ) footage of good people approaching riot police with hands held up in a non threatening manner trying to reason for calm being beaten to the ground?

13) Is normal for " Light touch Policing " to include hitting elderly or people on crutches?

Panic Policing at best and incompetence at the the other end of the scale.

I have to say the ordinary bobby's during the day and early evening were immense and were very tolerant. They were good natured and lots posed for pictures. The riot mob though are nothing short of thugs in uniform

Having directly experienced points 1-6, I can't disagree with much of this post - in particular the part in bold. The only indication I had of trouble was riot police bombing past us heading back to Manchester City Centre from the ground - and they were lucky to avoid any casualties, the way they were acting in Eastlands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with most of that. I was caught between the riot police and an angry mob and I went down to speak to one to ask what I was meant to do to get out of this situation safely and he just said 'move back or you will be struck' and raised his baton.

Up at the station I spent some time talking to the police guys up there and in particular a nice bloke who was saying the riot police were always too heavy handed and he's not surprised things got out of control as soon as they were sent in.

All the standard police throughout the day and even the aftermath were always pleasant and there to help and were a credit to Manchester especially after what had gone on earlier.

• SI Staff
struggling to see Norwich getting to a UEFA Cup final tbh. i'm sure Ter didn't literally mean 'any club' (doubt Dog and Duck FC would be able to muster enough fans to cause too much of a problem), rather any team of a similar size, who are able to get to a european final and travel in such numbers. and he's right to be honest - had we got to the CL Final in 2002 similar scenes in Glasgow with the moronic minority of our support would not have been remotely surprising.

Nah, I was more meaning the situation. Waiting all day to see the game then being told it's not on and to go to the Velodrome when you don't even know where it is. Being told on the big screens to go up the road and turn left and when you try to do that you are being met with riot police who would rather hit you with a baton than tell you where to go.

It's not surprising that tempers flared and it all kicked off.

Agree with most of that. I was caught between the riot police and an angry mob and I went down to speak to one to ask what I was meant to do to get out of this situation safely and he just said 'move back or you will be struck' and raised his baton.

And then they wonder why people get annoyed and attack them. I guess HD will be calling for all police officers to resign now because you know some police officers are utter scum.

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

ffs Charlie Adam icon_frown.gif

I suspect that Charlie has some pictures of the Gaffer somewhere as there is little other reason for his constant inclusion- presumably he will play a blinder today now!.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Team for today

Aleaxander

Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar and Whittaker

Novo, Dailly, Ferguson, Adam, McCulloch

Cousin

Subs; Smith, Boyd, JCD, Fleck, Furman and McMillan.

Missing sub is Davis.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Still not seeing what the hell McCullough is actually paid to do.

Quite a subdued atmosphere isn't it?

Good first half need another 'killer' goal though.

McCulloch is a fud but any player who can stand is needed now at this stage, hence the young 'uns.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Still not seeing what the hell McCullough is actually paid to do.

Quite a subdued atmosphere isn't it?

Good first half need another 'killer' goal though.

<STRIKE>McCulloch is a fud but any player who can stand is needed now at this stage </STRIKE> hence the young 'uns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scrap that, lets get the useless donkey off NOW icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by TM:

seriously don't understand that one icon_biggrin.gif

it will be their own fans celebrating a Champions League/Premiership double if they win it? more likely not to cause any trouble because all there will be Man Utd fans? CL/Premiership double would be possibly one of the most prestigious things you can win as well, pathetic decision

just continues the weekly view of making us look like the bad guys icon14.gif

it's like the big screen thing for next week. MCC haven't allowed us to have a parade for anything we've won since 1999, they clearly didn't want to let us have one this year either despite a potential CL win and they've gleefully seized upon the trouble on wednesday as an excuse. there's no reason why anything that happened on wednesday should have any effect on a parade but that's MCC for you, pathetic and incompetent.

think after the initial reaction by many of 'ffs, Rangers ruining it for us', people are more and more realising this is the council/police just being their usual selves.

Utter pish tbh.

I don't really see the point in having a player like Fleck on the bench who is supposed to be the next 'big thing', a squad that is stretched to the limit, a team that is playing utter garbage and yet..... don't bring him on. And Motherwell bring on a 19 year old. Walter, for his brilliance, really is blind in that area.

Archived