The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Miller will not be earning that if he signs for us. He's desperate to come back to Scotland again (it wasn't his decision to leave Celtic) and will take a dramatic pay cut to make it happen. In saying that, he was the one moaning to Lawwell about money first chance he got at Celtic and that's why he was kicked out of there.

Not saying he's worth £1.5million or even £12K p/w but it's not the complete financial suicide being predicted. Unfortunately it's not as easy as a Cuellar or a Larsson to pick up bargains and with the hassle we've had with Cousin/JCD this season, I can understand why Smith fancies a tried and tested hard working forward to compliment any bigger signing (hopefully).

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeebs:

Christ, if you always sacked a manager for making **** signings, most managers wouldn't last long at a club.

Fair point Jeebs, but ask yourself this.

Would <insert Previous manager> have signed Bert Konterman/Gary Bollan/Egil Ostenstad/Filip Sebo had they already played and failed at Rangers AND Celtic?

There is a difference between signing someone who turns out to be bad, rather than signing someone who is just plain bad.

thinking about it, im not Millers biggest fan at all....But...

1) in Walters preferable 451 he would definately work well. Hes showed that for the national team and he works as hard as anyone off the ball

2) hes better than that **** Cousin

3) him and Boyd as a 2 would be quite good. They would complement each other; Miller working to win ball and close down and Boyd putting away all the scraps like the big lazy goalscorer he is.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

Christ, if you always sacked a manager for making **** signings, most managers wouldn't last long at a club.

Fair point Jeebs, but ask yourself this.

Would <insert Previous manager> have signed Bert Konterman/Gary Bollan/Egil Ostenstad/Filip Sebo had they already played and failed at Rangers AND Celtic?

There is a difference between signing someone who turns out to be bad, rather than signing someone who is just plain bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i add Dan Eggen

Originally posted by Frankie:

Miller will not be earning that if he signs for us. He's desperate to come back to Scotland again (it wasn't his decision to leave Celtic) and will take a dramatic pay cut to make it happen. In saying that, he was the one moaning to Lawwell about money first chance he got at Celtic and that's why he was kicked out of there.

Not saying he's worth £1.5million or even £12K p/w but it's not the complete financial suicide being predicted. Unfortunately it's not as easy as a Cuellar or a Larsson to pick up bargains and with the hassle we've had with Cousin/JCD this season, I can understand why Smith fancies a tried and tested hard working forward to compliment any bigger signing (hopefully).

Frankie, i should bloody well hope not.

Whats more is that Players like Thompson/Whittaker/McGregor et al will want parity with Kenny Millers wages because they KNOW they are better players.

Your entirely right, its not easy to pick up a Larsson or a Cuellar, trouble is, Kenny miller is at the wrong end of the Player Spectrum to Larrson and Cuellar. However some try to gloss it we will be paying over the odd for dross. Dross who has punched above his weight in a scotland jersey but dross none the less.

Walter has done so much for Rangers. This season he has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the team. But if he does indeed bring back rat boy, and the team are not ultimitley sucessful, it will prove to be the redeeming action of his entire tenure at our helm, which IMO would be a travesty.

Couldn't remember if Dan Eggen ever played a game for us (I'm sure I recall him kitted out at some point but maybe it was a reserve game?), so checked his wiki page and came across this pearler:

In a recent interview, Dan named Gary Naysmith, Gianluca Festa, Djimi Traore, Lars Ricken, Cesar Sampaio and Stefan Rehn as the players he most admires.

Gary Naysmith and Djimi Traore? Got to be a load of old rubbish!

Originally posted by McD:

Couldn't remember if Dan Eggen ever played a game for us (I'm sure I recall him kitted out at some point but maybe it was a reserve game?), so checked his wiki page and came across this pearler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In a recent interview, Dan named Gary Naysmith, Gianluca Festa, Djimi Traore, Lars Ricken, Cesar Sampaio and Stefan Rehn as the players he most admires.

Gary Naysmith and Djimi Traore? Got to be a load of old rubbish! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the most random selection of football players ive ever come accross

Miller is better than both Darcheville and Cousin, in my opinion.

Despite this, you should be signing a better player than all 3 of them, like Klasnic(who was linked, although now looks unlikely)

Miller would be a squad man like Dailly if he was signed.

Frankie, i should bloody well hope not.

Whats more is that Players like Thompson/Whittaker/McGregor et al will want parity with Kenny Millers wages because they KNOW they are better players.

Your entirely right, its not easy to pick up a Larsson or a Cuellar, trouble is, Kenny miller is at the wrong end of the Player Spectrum to Larrson and Cuellar. However some try to gloss it we will be paying over the odd for dross. Dross who has punched above his weight in a scotland jersey but dross none the less.

Walter has done so much for Rangers. This season he has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the team. But if he does indeed bring back rat boy, and the team are not ultimitley sucessful, it will prove to be the redeeming action of his entire tenure at our helm, which IMO would be a travesty.

I don't disagree mate but I just think there's method in Smith's madness and after what he has done for the club he should be cut a bit of slack from some fans.

Personally I think Miller should be the last player to come to Rangers this summer but Walter Smith knows a lot more than me about what's good for our team. If Miller did sign, he'd have a helluva lot to prove and that's not a bad thing. I do agree though that Smith's reputation could be ruined if it didn't work out.

IMO, it's too big a risk for too much of a financial risk and I'm genuinely hoping it's a transfer red herring. If it isn't it will be the last time I buy Jocky Miller a pint.

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In a recent interview, Dan named Gary Naysmith, Gianluca Festa, Djimi Traore, Lars Ricken, Cesar Sampaio and Stefan Rehn as the players he most admires.

Gary Naysmith and Djimi Traore? Got to be a load of old rubbish! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the most random selection of football players ive ever come accross </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lars Ricken and Cesar Sampaio were fb icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

thats the most random selection of football players ive ever come accross </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lars Ricken and Cesar Sampaio were fb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cesar Sampaio - didnt he score with his shoulder against Scotland in the World Cup 1998? Just about remember that game

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Miller is better than both Darcheville and Cousin, in my opinion.

Despite this, you should be signing a better player than all 3 of them, like Klasnic(who was linked, although now looks unlikely)

Miller would be a squad man like Dailly if he was signed.

Miller isn#t better than either of those on a bad day, he is just plain garbage.

Scotland that day.

Leighton, Burley, Calderwood, Hendry, Boyd, Lambert, Collins, Dailly, Jackson, Gallacher, Durie

Christian Dailly: The occasion looked a bit much for the youngster. A couple of poor touches early on did nothing for his confidence. He played better in the second half although he could not keep Cafu busy enough. Was replaced by Tosh McKinlay.

remember the big hype before we played Morocco, got our baws booted and we practically weren't the same again icon_frown.gif

last tournament we were at as well, amazing to think it's 10 years now

Originally posted by Insomniac Ronnie:

RUMOUR****RUMOUR****RUMOUR****

Walter Smith was taken into hospital today and he needs a quadruple bypass. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Were you passing him on the way out from your lobotomy?

That Sampaio guy scored quite few gaols in that WC for a defender

really miss seeing Scotland in the big tournaments, you wonder at this rate if we will ever see that again.

The next one must be our big chance, given that the group isn't too bad

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

really miss seeing Scotland in the big tournaments, you wonder at this rate if we will ever see that again.

and with the amazing alan hutton in our corner icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

We have a good chance but holland will pip us at the end in a hard luck story as per the usual

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

We have a good chance but holland will pip us at the end in a hard luck story as per the usual </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we get a playoff this time dont we?

Holland will win the group i'm sure but the best loser place is within our grasp. we are capable of beating all the teams at home. We have already beaten Iceland and Norway away from home the past few years.

I would say we have a better group of players than Macedonia, Iceland and Norway

probably going to done by Holland now, but I wouldn't count us out from beating them at Hampden to be honest icon14.gif

not really sure if we could go away and do the job (against the Dutch), but we really need to win all our home games and we must get 3pts in that first game against Macedonia - that is a must. Scotland V Holland is the last game of the group, could be interesting if it was in the balance icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

how will best loser place work? as we have got less teams in our group so will get less points than teams in larger groups

The results against the bottom team in the other groups are disregarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

at least if we can get to a play off, we will have a chance.

the emergence over the past year or so of players like McGregor, Hutton, Brown, Robson, Thomson etc is great for us

the only thing i worry about is that all the good midfielders we have play in the centre. we dont have much natural width

Archived