Board Have Cancelled Transfer

I'm playing as Peterborough and have just got promoted at the end of my first season. The board have set the initial budgets for next season and I'm 50k under my wage budget with £2.84 million to spend on players but every time I try to sign Jose Baxter on a free transfer, the board cancel it because they say his wages would break the wage budget.

I don't understand why this is the case as I am 50k under budget and I'm only offering Baxter 3.8k. Also my highest paid player, Marcus Madison, is on 6k and after him I only have one other player on over 4k so I can't see how 3.8k for Jose Baxter would break the budget.

Could it have anything to do with Jose Baxter's global ban(it expires on 30/6/2017) despite that not being the reason listed by the board or the fact I still have one game left to play?

2 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Check the other options you have given him, if you have given him a large signing on fee (or agent fee - one of these comes out of the wage budget the other from the transfer budget) this also comes out of the wage budget.

They amounted to 36k, well within the budgets I was given by the board

Only thing I can imagine is that it somehow would had caused trouble with the fair play thingy, I've had transfers cancelled because of that. Not sure how lowering your transfer budget would affect that however.

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Even with balances within the budgets, the state of your overall finances will be taken into account by the Board, so if these are not good, this may have contributed.

The reason given was that it would break the wage budget. Looking back the decision from the board seems even more strange and even harder to understand as since the the start of the second season my wage bill has accelerated beyond belief and I am now spending over 200k a week on wages with just over 5 million in the bank, so it looks as though it's going to have to be Premier League or bust for Peterborough. It'll be fun finding out which one though and I did win the first game of the season so there's only another 45 to go.

Archived